• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

mr2xjk.jpg

STEALING THIS ONE

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wonder why there is hardly any media on Jacob, i checked the mass effect 2 website and all the wallpapers, avatars, etc are mostly everyone except Jacob.

JoeBoy101

Any more pictures of the Tech armor? Had no idea Sentinels got that and it looks pretty badass. I have to admit, almost all of the classes have some really cool aspect about them, or at least, they look cool.

Zinthar

I played through the 360 version of the original ME, but am planning on getting the PC version of ME2... since I'll be starting with a new character from scratch, is it known yet whether there is any disadvantage to the system where you answer questions about what you did in ME1 vs. having a save file carried over?

cresto

.:Wesker:. said:
The game overall feels like a step back from ME1. Less RPG, more shooter. This can be observed everywhere. Regenerating health, ammo, less areas to pour your squad points into, etc.

Then there are small things like removing those armor and weapon modifiers, and limiting what kinds of ammo you and your squad can use based on your class (though I think it's nice that you can switch ammo types without navigating through a menu). The pacing feels off, probing for minerals and the new travel system feels like filler, the plot isn't very compelling (yet?), not being able to level up until the end of a 'mission'.

I just feel very unimpressed by the whole thing for some reason.
Maybe your expectations were at such an incredibly high level that it was inevitable?

Hawk269

Great job on the official thread....it looks great. Let's make sure spoilers are tagged please. Especially come Monday Night/Tuesday when everyone will be posting stuff.

neojubei

Hopefully UPS deliveries early on Tuesday, so i can enough time to go to gamestop and by the other CE and return home to play it.

neojubei

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Just buy it on eBay. I paid ten bucks for mine. It was worth it not to deal with the hassle.

Yea I paid 10 bucks for the Dragon Blood Armor DLC on ebay.

Hawk269

There are 2 Gamestops in my area within 30 miles of each other and collectively, they are getting only about 10 total copies of the CE that are all reserved. They said they were very limited and at one store (I know the Manager) he said they had yet to receive the CE versions of the game, just the regular.

I had to reserve my CE at Best Buy...I wonder if it would be a good idea to get to the store about 20 min or so b4 they open to ensure I get first dips on whatever CE's they do get, if it really is as limited as many are making it out to be.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fantastic thread. Im still trying to finish the first game. I may have a to wait a day or two after the game arrives in the mail before i can start it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ergo said:
Maybe your expectations were at such an incredibly high level that it was inevitable?

I dont think so, its probably just what he finds valuable in a game, especially one being called an RPG. He like stats, loot, and traditional wealths of customisation I guess. To have them minimalised and in some cases gone completely is guarentied to disappoint, and he wont be the only one to feel that way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ergo said:

None of the seems due to high expectations. Some of that is...disheartening.

stupei

EatChildren said:
I dont think so, its probably just what he finds valuable in a game, especially one being called an RPG. He like stats, loot, and traditional wealths of customisation I guess. To have them minimalised and in some cases gone completely is guarentied to disappoint, and he wont be the only one to feel that way.

Are there still dialogue trees and can I still punch people?

This is what I personally look for in my Mass Effect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
stupei said:

From what we know, yes, which is the 'role-playing' focus of ME2 it would seem; plot arch, overall story, and conversations.

Which is fine for me, but is bound to disappoint some others.

stupei said:

You are out of luck :(

why would they remove one of ME's strongest elements?

Monocle

Hot damn, want. On Tuesday this beautiful game is mine. I really should use what remains of the weekend to get my FemShep to level 60. Curse you and your fascinating books for eating up my free time, Stephen Hawking.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
EatChildren said:
From what we know, yes, which is the 'role-playing' focus of ME2 it would seem; plot arch, overall story, and conversations.

From what reviews have said the character development is still just as deep. Just because there arent as many skills to throw points at doesnt mean the classes are shallower, from what we can see they look even deeper and more diverse than before.

WhiskeyKnight said:
I kinda wish Galaxy had just been a bunch of interactive conversations. The action bits are what really drag that game down.

I'm actually getting the hang of it. I'm playing it like a weird Geometry Wars now.

SlickVic

EatChildren said:

Same. I've enjoyed WRPG's but really the main thing that keeps me coming back to them are the huge branching stories. Loot, stats, all that stuff is fine and good but they don't really do a whole lot for me. Hearing ME2 has stronger shooting elements and less RPG elements from the first game (but still keeping that big story) honestly makes me even more excited to play it.

elrechazao said:

I'm SO excited for Mass Effect 2, but the only thing I wanted 100% was Wrex to be a returning party member /emo cry

For the dragon age armor, do you need to input the code AGAIN? I input it for dragon age, downloaded the dragon age blood armor, but I don't think I saved the code?

LongTimeLurker said:
I'm SO excited for Mass Effect 2, but the only thing I wanted 100% was Wrex to be a returning party member /emo cry

For the dragon age armor, do you need to input the code AGAIN? I input it for dragon age, downloaded the dragon age blood armor, but I don't think I saved the code?

It shows up in my BioWare social account already so probably not.

CAW

OmegaFactor said:
I made some avatars. Feel free to use any that you like :D

723jn4.jpg

Zonk! :D

Quick question. I'm almost finished my ME PC play through. I have a Solider. If I load my ME save file to ME2 will I be restricted to that class or will I be able to select a new class like Engineer or Vanguard? Not a big deal in the end but just curious if anyone knows.

I'm just going to put this here. (minor spoiler about something you can buy)

YOU CAN BUY A MOTHER FUCKING SPACE HAMSTER HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT

Swag

LongTimeLurker said:

There's a section in the bioware social page that shows promotions that are available for you, as long as you inputted the codes for the Blood Dragon armor in DA:O it should show up automatically for you.

I think you just access your Bioware account in ME2 similar to the way you did in DA:O to download the DLC.

Edit: Beaten by a few seconds :[

neojubei

WhiskeyKnight said:
I kinda wish Galaxy had just been a bunch of interactive conversations. The action bits are what really drag that game down.

I fee the same. I doubt I can finish the game before ME2 comes out.

gillty

Banned
CAW said:

Quick question. I'm almost finished my ME PC play through. I have a Solider. If I load my ME save file to ME2 will I be restricted to that class or will I be able to select a new class like Engineer or Vanguard? Not a big deal in the end but just curious if anyone knows.
you'll be able to change class and appearance.

loving the game, new avatar = illusive man :D

CAW said:

You can change your class and appearance when importing.

Orbitcube said:
Can't change your name from what I've heard.

Yep, the name or gender can't be changed.

TheSailerman

Neo Member
I'm so hyped for ME2!

I've read through Mass Effect: Revelation (the first novel & prequel to the first Mass Effect) and I'm in the middle of Mass Effect: Ascension, which continues the story from the 1st novel & has some info that bridges the gap between ME1 & 2. Definitely worth reading if you've really gotten into the ME universe.

Now that there's no achievements for completing most of the missions with a certain squad member, I'm going to vary my squadmates often. I'll probably alternate mostly between Miranda, Tali, Thane,
Garrus & Mordan
(spoilerized the squadmates not listed in the OP, just in case).

Oh, and here's a link to the ME2 soundtrack on iTunes - it's $6 less than Amazon.

CAW

The name is fine, but I'm glad that I'll be able to change the class. Thanks for the answer. :D

Sebulon3k said:
There's a section in the bioware social page that shows promotions that are available for you, as long as you inputted the codes for the Blood Dragon armor in DA:O it should show up automatically for you.

I think you just access your Bioware account in ME2 similar to the way you did in DA:O to download the DLC.

Edit: Beaten by a few seconds :[

bioware account...I never remember signing up for that

kitzkozan

EatChildren said:

It's already disappointing a lot of crpg fans who aren't fan of action,shooting or console game.

I'm not a purist,so I am not disappointed by Mass effect 2 going more shooting than rpg.As long as the action is great,I won't care about missing stats or not having the possibility to plan ahead as to where to put the points.

Cetra

Orbitcube said:
I'm just going to put this here. (minor spoiler about something you can buy)

YOU CAN BUY A MOTHER FUCKING SPACE HAMSTER HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT

No kiddin'? I'll totally be snaggin' one of those. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom