• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

firehawk12 said:
Infiltrator or Sentinel.
I played the first time through as infiltrator.

I think I used invisibility like 2x, ever. how do you properly use that skill to maximize benefit? I always felt like going invisible and walking into the middle of the enemy positions was asking to be killed?

Yasae

Banned
TheSeks said:
A week into launch and they're getting close to my asking price.

Knock $17 off it K-mart and you have yourself a deal.
No, knock $14 off of it and then you'd have exactly the same price on the game as everyone else. The only thing PS3 owners are getting screwed on is choice. You can't choose to buy the extra DLC. But they're hardly getting ripped off...

EDIT: Actually, during the sale on 1/30 ($44.99) the game is slightly cheaper than its 360 and PC counterparts. That's way beyond fair for a new game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dreams-Visions said:

I think I used invisibility like 2x, ever. how do you properly use that skill to maximize benefit? I always felt like going invisible and walking into the middle of the enemy positions was asking to be killed?

I mained Sentinel because I don't like sniping, but I guess it's a combination of having faster cool down speeds and using headshots effectively.

And during some sequences, you can just run past all the bad guys entirely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreams-Visions said:

Dont use it to sneak, use it for the damage bonus. An attack while invisible counts as a sneak attack, which can rack up huge damage. Window maker + cloak + headshot will destroy nearly any enemy.

EatChildren said:
Dont use it to sneak, use it for the damage bonus. An attack while invisible counts as a sneak attack, which can rack up huge damage. Window maker + cloak + headshot will destroy nearly any enemy.
ooooooooooooh!

I think I had gotten used to just using the barrier that I didn't think to just use cloak. I assume it has the same defensive effect, more or less (enemies aren't shooting at you) but with the offensive bonus that comes with the Invisible perk. Yea, I thought about it wrong: when I think of invisible, I think of Sam Fisher or Solid Snake rather than just being able to operate with impunity from anywhere without worrying about being shot for a period of time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreams-Visions said:
ooooooooooooh!

I think I had gotten used to just using the barrier that I didn't think to just use cloak. I assume it has the same defensive effect, more or less (enemies aren't shooting at you) but with the offensive bonus that comes with the Invisible perk. Yea, I thought about it wrong: when I think of invisible, I think of Sam Fisher or Solid Snake rather than just being able to operate with impunity from anywhere without worrying about being shot for a period of time.

Easy mistake to make. Being invisible does have it perks though, as enemies wont shoot at you, so you can quickly get out of shitty situations, such as stronger enemies. Not being shot at also helps you line up a perfect headshot on a tough enemy that might otherwise target you.

But yeah, the damage bonus is the best perk of cloak.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
What I'd recommend is Adept in ME1, Infiltrator in ME2.

Soldier in ME2 = Duh. Standard "Canon" Shepard (i.e. the safe bet)
Infiltrator in ME2 = Fun Shepard

I had tons of fun with both since my ME1 Shepard was a Soldier & Infiltrator taught me that "Cloak + Blasting = Good Times"

Mr. Sam

Hurm. I may have to restart and play as infiltrator now. Sounds pretty fun. I picked soldier simply because RPGs intimidate me and I get easily frightened if I veer too far from the straight and narrow.

That said, I might just do another runthrough once I complete my current game. Higher difficulty, more customisation and try to get some different outcomes. You know, if there's nothing else I desperately want to play.

Subitai

EatChildren said:
Easy mistake to make. Being invisible does have it perks though, as enemies wont shoot at you, so you can quickly get out of shitty situations, such as stronger enemies. Not being shot at also helps you line up a perfect headshot on a tough enemy that might otherwise target you.

But yeah, the damage bonus is the best perk of cloak.
The thing is headshots can 1 hit kill without cloak if your infiltrator has all the weapon upgrades and tungsten ammo. I still used cloak to get around safely too, but I only used it for the damage bonus on guys with lots of armor like Krogans and scions.

Crewnh said:
So what's the best class for Insanity?
I'd say Adept or Sentinel. Engineer actually works pretty well too. Just make sure you have someone with you to take down barriers or pick up reave for yourself. I recommend these classes because they don't require much if any ammo. In most situations the best thing you can do to survive is get in cover and stay there as long as possible. If you have to pop out and run around looking for clips, it just makes things that much more risky since 2 or 3 enemies can take you out so fast when you're out of cover.
Ultimoo said:
Why be a soldier when I can be an adept and spam singularity + warp to own everything! :p
THIS TOO!!

I'll take the "thud" of warp bombs over vanguard charge and adrenaline rush any day.

Gattsu25

Banned
So...how do you actually use the interactive comic in the PS3 version?
How do you verify if the game recognizes that you have DLC?
How do you check to see that you are signed in to the correct EA online account?

Jesus FUCK this shit is badly designed.

edit:
1. Supposedly, the interactive comic is after the intro. Does this mean the game locks me into a relationship with
Liara since she was the crewmember that got facetime during the intro?
2. Will find out, I guess. No way of checking from the main menu.
3. Imfuckingpossible?

This thing was really sloppily designed. PS3 version has tons of jaggies, too.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Gattsu25 said:
So...how do you actually use the interactive comic in the PS3 version?
How do you verify if the game recognizes that you have DLC?
How do you check to see that you are signed in to the correct EA online account?

Jesus FUCK this shit is badly designed.

Which part are you on? EA servers automatically sign u in, least for me, with my psn account. Yes the game recognizes the DLC if u downloaded it from psn. And the comic is a bit after the first part of the game.

Did you put the game disc in the system?

Gattsu25

Banned
neojubei said:
Which part are you on? EA servers automatically sign u in, least for me, with my psn account. Yes the game recognizes the DLC if u downloaded it from psn. And the comic is a bit after the first part of the game.

Did you put the game disc in the system?
Yeah, I got that part down. Thanks for the assist

I was just a bit confused when I went to check to see which EA Online account I was signed in with and...couldn't

I then decided to check to see which DLC the game registered me as having and...couldn't.

I then started a new game to see if the comic would start then and was kinda shocked to see that the game went straight into ME2 (looking quite poorly on PS3) and looked to be using the default settings (locked me into a relationship with Liara?) so I was concerned that maybe my copy was bugged and the comic was supposed to be first...or maybe the comic was a separate app on the XMB or maybe it was supposed to be a menu option? I don't know. The game doesn't fucking tell you, you need to sit through 15 minutes of largely unplayable ME2 before you find out, the instruction manual is a piece of black and white paper and doesn't answer any useful questions, and the in game manual is a fucking joke and only contains the info that ME2 normally gives you in the tooltips.

I got an e-mail from Sony Australia today saying Mass Effect 2 is now available on PSN for the low, low price of $99.95AU. That's pretty much exactly $99.95US.

Sure, Sony, I'll get right on that.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
matrix-cat said:
I got an e-mail from Sony Australia today saying Mass Effect 2 is now available on PSN for the low, low price of $99.95AU. That's pretty much exactly $99.95US.

Sure, Sony, I'll get right on that.
what in the hell?

Holy hell, can't you just import the game? I'm fairly certain even with importing fees and levies, the cost of shipping and taxes that importing Mass Effect 2 would be cheaper than that. Better yet, get the PC version if you can, it'll be even cheaper.

100$ for a DD game, I thought 60$ was bad.

kpx0

Banned
im pretty far in the game as a sentinel and kind of regret it because i really want to use assault rifles or some of the more powerful biotics at times. most of the really essential biotics (warp/barrier) you can get through squadmates.

EatChildren

X-Frame said:
Damn that's ridiculous .. is EVERYTHING so much more expensive in Australia or just tech?

Pretty much everything. Games are really terrible. I do a huuuge amount of importing for software, and the cost of buying new from the US coupled with postage fees usually saves me ~AU$30+.

EG: I just bought a copy of Demon's Souls from the US for ~AU$30 (postage included), when the lowest it is on store shelves here is ~AU$45, and usually higher most everywhere.

Dreams-Visions said:

Aside from what EatChildren already said, I also find it to be a decent enough "get out of jail free card". You obviously won't be sneaking across open fields, but when maxed out, those 7 or so seconds are decent for evading to better cover when your health is low.

jaundicejuice said:
Holy hell, can't you just import the game?
Oh yeah, nobody's actually going to buy it for $100. On top of the ridiculous price most people don't have the monthly internet quota required to download a game the size of ME2.

Games have absurd RRPs here, but if you shop around you can pretty much always find games for around $79 on day one instead of $99 or $119, and if you're willing to wait a week or two it's always far cheaper to buy from any of the numerous UK retailers who ship to Australia.

kuYuri

Cerberus Daily News officially went on hiatus. It will come back for three weeks after this.

It will be missed. :(

Neki

kpx0 said:
im pretty far in the game as a sentinel and kind of regret it because i really want to use assault rifles or some of the more powerful biotics at times. most of the really essential biotics (warp/barrier) you can get through squadmates.
Special weapon training later in the game lets you specialize in assault rifles, sniper rifles or shotguns, but really, an assault rifle is just a slightly better version of an SMG. The main draw of the Sentinel is the tech armor, invaluable against husks on lower difficulties and a free get out of jail card. But I did spam Warp a lot as a Sentinel. :p

Bernbaum

Yay! Full crew, and everyone's loyal.

Provided I complete the last mission without any hiccups, and get my rocks off with Jack, I'm looking at every achievement for this game barring the 'Insanity' one.

I've got Emile Shepard fucking shit up at level 29 - I assume it caps at 30.

Eccocid

Finally got the game and enjoying a lot. Never finished ME 1 due to clunk controls (i played on PC but mouse aiming was terirble!lol) But they improved it a lot in sequel and it plays more like a 3rd person shooter. What it lacks is challenge i suppose. I am playin in normal difficulty with soldier class.. All i do is adrenaline rush and snipe enemies. Maybe i died 2-3 times in a boss battle when i accidentally run to boss or couldnt take cover.

Also
I finished the collectors attack on colony part but Kaiden didnt join me..Did he suppos to join me and i made a wrong decision in speech or somewhere else int he game or he always rejects it?

AND here is my question.. Is there any way to see weapon stats? The weapon rack at armory doesnt show anything about their damage only gives a some information about each weapon which says stuff like this weapon is good at shields etc etc. How do i know which is the best shotgun i own in my armory etc?

Leckan

There are no weapon or armor stats in the game. Bioware removed them altogether.

It's a pretty common complaint for some people (me included).

Eccocid

Leckan said:
There are no weapon or armor stats in the game. Bioware removed them altogether.

So how do u know which is better?! The one i got last is the best in a category? That's so lame lol.

Lothars

Leckan said:

I don't have an issue with what they did because each of the weapons have a different feeling and act differently, It also says what they are better at or if they are upgrades in the description.

I suspect Mass Effect 3 will have the stats as well.

Arjen

Eccocid said:
Finally got the game and enjoying a lot. Never finished ME 1 due to clunk controls (i played on PC but mouse aiming was terirble!lol) But they improved it a lot in sequel and it plays more like a 3rd person shooter. What it lacks is challenge i suppose. I am playin in normal difficulty with soldier class.. All i do is adrenaline rush and snipe enemies. Maybe i died 2-3 times in a boss battle when i accidentally run to boss or couldnt take cover.

Also
I finished the collectors attack on colony part but Kaiden didnt join me..Did he suppos to join me and i made a wrong decision in speech or somewhere else int he game or he always rejects it?

AND here is my question.. Is there any way to see weapon stats? The weapon rack at armory doesnt show anything about their damage only gives a some information about each weapon which says stuff like this weapon is good at shields etc etc. How do i know which is the best shotgun i own in my armory etc?

Not to be dick, but bump up the diffuculty to at least veteran. It's way more fun if you have deal with barriers and shields on the enemies.

Eccocid

Arjen said:
Not to be dick, but bump up the diffuculty to at least veteran. It's way more fun if you have deal with barriers and shields on the enemies.

Can i change difficulty in mid game?i would do it cuz normal is not fun anymore started to get kinda dull.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I completely skipped over this entire thread so if it's been answered, sorry.

I just got this game via Goozex. Is it worth playing the first ME before ME2? Or should I just jump into ME2? How long of a play through is ME2? How long is ME1?

Thanks!

Arjen

Bboy AJ said:

I just got this game via Goozex. Is it worth playing the first ME before ME2? Or should I just jump into ME2? How long of a play through is ME2? How long is ME1?

Thanks!

Definitly worth it, if you stick to the main story you should be able to do it in 12-15 hours.
Play it before ME2 though, gameplay wise it's hard to go back to 1 if you're used to 2.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
In ME1 I only ever played Engineer and Adept, and in ME2 I've only played Engineer.

So is Infiltrator the consensus pick, as the best class to try out?

Bboy AJ said:

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, which platform would you be playing ME 1 on?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Bboy AJ said:

Thanks!

One of the best things about ME2 is seeing the decisions you made in the first game acknowledged in the sequel.

The first one's good, but definitely VERY hard to go backwards since the mechanics of ME2 are just so much better.

K.Jack said:
In ME1 I only ever played Engineer and Adept, and in ME2 I've only played Engineer.

Soldier. Hands down.

Bullet time, and access to all weapons, is awesome and you take full advantage of the new control system for shooting. Combined with the heavy weapons pack = win.

K.Jack said:

In terms of being totally unlike any other game you ever played, Vanguard is easily in a class of its own. Heavy Charge gives time slowdown on impact.

Time slow down (soldier) and invisibility (infiltrator) are in loads of other games. Charge is unlike anything else. Same with arc-able powers like Pull - no other game has such a thing to my knowledge.

Mindlog

Yeah, my first Shep is an Infiltrator. It's all just buildup to the true end-game class, Vanguard.

Is it just a coincidence that CDN ended with posturing between Alliance and Batarian military units? I really hope the next DLC lets us shoot more Batarians.

Shinjitsu

Banned
mauaus said:
So wide or heavy singularity for my Adept Shep?
Wide. All you want to do with singularity is exploit choke points to set up the warp detonatons. Wide gives you a better chance of snaggin that one unprotected guy in a pack.

Subitai

K.Jack said:

Stick with your adept instincts. Warp bombs totally make up for them taking away all the control adepts used exert.

Mindlog

lucius said:
So what powers should I start to build up my first playthrough as Adept?
AverageGatsby had the most commonly referenced tips when the game came out. His guide contains spoilers so I'm going to cut and post the start to his adept.

Level 1: (0 free points). Warp - Rank 1, Singularity - Rank 1, Bonus Power - 1
Level 2: (2 points). Warp - Rank 1, Singularity - Rank 2
Level 3: (2 points). Warp - Rank 1, Singularity - Rank 2, Pull - Rank 1, Passive - Rank 1
Level 4: (2 points). Warp - 2, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Passive - 1
Level 5: (2) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Passive - 1
Level 6: (3) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Passive - 2
Level 7: (3) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Passive - 3
Level 8: (2) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Passive - 3
Level 9: (4) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Nemesis - 4
Level 10: (2) Warp - 2, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Nemesis - 4
Level 11: (4) Warp - 3, Throw - 1, Singularity - 2, Pull - 1, Nemesis - 4
Level 12: (3) Warp - 3, Throw - 1, Singularity - 3, Pull - 1, Nemesis - 4
This is a good standard opener. Once you get the hang of the game you'll learn to emphasize certain powers according to your playstyle.

The adept is a very powerful class.

Gattsu25

Banned
I walked into one of the floating chairs in the first few minutes of actual gameplay and one of the chairs bounced off the ceiling, came back and touched me. My shephard died and I had to sit through the intro again because the game said that it could not find saved data to load from.

I meet up with Jacob. We fight some AI drones. I get ready to move on but can't. Another round of AI drones are here. And then another. And another. I've been killing the drones for a while. I'm a few shots short of getting the 30 headshots trophy but I ran out of ammo. I've literally killed over 60 of them by now. I also realize, when I try to kill myself so I can load from the checkpoint, that you are invincible in this section and cannot actually be killed (Veteran difficulty).

Yeah...

Neki

Gattsu25 said:
I walked into one of the floating chairs in the first few minutes of actual gameplay and one of the chairs bounced off the ceiling, came back and touched me. My shephard died and I had to sit through the intro again because the game said that it could not find saved data to load from.

I meet up with Jacob. We fight some AI drones. I get ready to move on but can't. Another round of AI drones are here. And then another. And another. I've been killing the drones for a while. I'm a few shots short of getting the 30 headshots trophy but I ran out of ammo. I've literally killed over 60 of them by now. I also realize, when I try to kill myself so I can load from the checkpoint, that you are invincible in this section and cannot actually be killed (Veteran difficulty).

Yeah...

You need to get Jacob to use one of his biotic powers, or they'll keep respawning.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Felix Lighter said:
Just out of curiosity, which platform would you be playing ME 1 on?

So about 25 hours total if I go through ME1 and 2? Kind of long but if it's fun the whole way through...

Subitai

Bboy AJ said:

So about 25 hours total if I go through ME1 and 2? Kind of long but if it's fun the whole way through...
ME2 is more like 20 hrs at least and that's if you don't die and skip the side stuff. Some would say it's worth it to do everything in ME1 first to see what meaningfully carries over, but I only recommend that if you're find yourself turning into a fan.

Top Bottom