• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

You don't have to romance anyone and still get their loyalty. Being full paragon will help you maintain full loyalty as there are few situations where your squad fights among themselves and you can talk them down if you're skilled enough.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Holy shit, one of my buddies told me to try my Insanity run-through with my lvl 30 Soldier and constantly use Adrenaline Rush w/ the Mattlock Heavy Rifle and...wow.

It feels like I'm playing the game on casual even though it's on Insanity. LOL

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ultimoo said:
I always thought most Paragon conversation options were always in the top right when possible, otherwise, you go with what sounds like a paragon conversation.

That generally leads to the romance stuff as well... I try to get as close as possible (for the paragon points) without trudging into corny territory. A fine line.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Frankman said:
What is all the hate on picking Solider? Seems like people hate it for being vanilla....

Easy class to play, and focuses the game on being a pure third person shooter with no real tech or biotic strategies. I guess a lot of people consider it the 'generic' Mass Effect class, and feel people are missing out on a lot if that's the only one they play.

But its not like I can talk. I main an Infiltrator which isn't much better (but oh so much fun).

Guess I'll need a non-spoiler rundown of the the classes again (MassEffect2Wiki plz). I researched the game when it game out on 360 and played the demo on PS3. Plan to buy it... also it's a team game so it's melding your squad's biotic abilities with your shooting IMHO.
Square Triangle said:
First PS3 ME2 sale?

Kmart will have it for $44.99 starting 1/30.
link?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I miss the old engine room. One of the best things about the ship.

IefLF.png

Neki

The Frankman said:
What is all the hate on picking Solider? Seems like people hate it for being vanilla....
Why be a soldier when I can be an adept and spam singularity + warp to own everything! :p

Rufus

Ultimoo said:
Why be a soldier when I can be an adept and spam singularity + warp to own everything! :p
You might not know that and guns are pretty universally understood. Also it plays like a shooter.

Ultimoo said:
That doesn't answer my question on HATING Soldier. I'm no student of the series, but I would figure one could own every weapon and Adrenaline Rush and have my squad use their biotics in sync. I had read alot of posts to the effect that "Soldier sucks" and was trying to find out exacty why outside of lacking biotics. Weird considering it seems very team-based and game plays very much like a FPS.

The Frankman said:
I'm playing through as a Soldier for the first time and I'm finding it incredibly dreary. There's nothing really fulfilling about ME2's shooting mechanics, certainly not enough to keep things entertaining for a thirty-plus hour playthrough. Sitting there pumping thousands upon thousands of rounds into an endless succession of faces is the worst way to experience Mass Effect.

For reference, the best way is Vanguard. Vanguard fo' life.

X-Frame

Heightened Adrenaline Rush + Inferno Armor + Mattlock is something I can easily do over and over again for several hours. Loved doing that on my Soldier playthrough. It's a good change of pace from tech/biotics.

Edgeward

HadesGigas said:
Being full paragon will help you maintain full loyalty as there are few situations where your squad fights among themselves and you can talk them down if you're skilled enough.

To be clear, you can be full renegade and still get the same effect.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I hate how the armour choices are so limited in ME2, and why can't you remove your helmet for the othe armours besides the N7 one? WTF?! That armour that spectre bitch wore in the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC would have looked mighty fine on my psycho renegade Fem Shepard! :(

matrix-cat said:
I'm playing through as a Soldier for the first time and I'm finding it incredibly dreary. There's nothing really fulfilling about ME2's shooting mechanics, certainly not enough to keep things entertaining for a thirty-plus hour playthrough. Sitting there pumping thousands upon thousands of rounds into an endless succession of faces is the worst way to experience Mass Effect.

For reference, the best way is Vanguard. Vanguard fo' life.

This might be why I find the gameplay merely average. Story and atmosphere have me plenty hooked, though. Same with ME1.

Finally beat the game without losing anybody. Feels good man.

I just have the regular ME2 Steam copy, but that gave me some DLC. Any recommendations for further DLC?

Neki

The Frankman said:
That doesn't answer my question on HATING Soldier. I'm no student of the series, but I would figure one could own every weapon and Adrenaline Rush and have my squad use their biotics in sync. I had read alot of posts to the effect that "Soldier sucks" and was trying to find out exacty why outside of lacking biotics. Weird considering it seems very team-based and game plays very much like a FPS.
I was just jesting, but the reason I dislike soldier is because without biotic or techs it just feels like a typical 3rd person shooter game-play wise. Yeah, I can sync my teammates to use their skills while I rain down gunfire, but I'd prefer to use some myself personally. You can also do fine with sub machine guns and heavy pistols in lieu of assault rifles or sniper rifles, which is one of the main perks of being a soldier. There's only a few times in ME2 where I wish I had an assault rifle or sniper rifle. But to be fair, I found the soldier in ME1 way less fulfilling than the soldier class in ME2.

The Frankman said:
I never play the 'grunt' (warrior, soldier) in RPGs, so for a change, I decided i'd go that way in ME. The game is still incredible, but I did find the combat a bit boring, especially in the second one (i was playing on hardcore). It's kind of a boring class. Not sure if all warriors are like taht, but I think I'll go back to my mages/thieves/biotics after that.

Just my two cents. I played a bit of ME in vanguard and it seemed a lot more fun.

harriet the spy said:
I never play the 'grunt' (warrior, soldier) in RPGs, so for a change, I decided i'd go that way in ME. The game is still incredible, but I did find the combat a bit boring, especially in the second one (i was playing on hardcore). It's kind of a boring class. Not sure if all warriors are like taht, but I think I'll go back to my mages/thieves/biotics after that.

Just my two cents. I played a bit of ME in vanguard and it seemed a lot more fun.

What I'd recommend is Adept in ME1, Infiltrator in ME2.

Ok thanks for replies guys. Was trying to get some feedback... back to Wiki I go. :p

and crap at that sale. Are there any games from 1/30 to 2/12 worth buying? dunno.

The Frankman said:
Ok thanks for replies guys. Was trying to get some feedback... back to Wiki I go. :p

and crap at that sale. Are there any games from 1/30 to 2/12 worth buying? dunno.
You're asking a variety of people a question and expecting anything approaching consensus?

I believe the true answer is "They didn't like Soldier so they hate it and it sucks."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
xKilltheMx said:
Already posted by this cool guy earlier.

But there is a link. CAG - First post is a Kmart Rep.

A week into launch and they're getting close to my asking price.

Knock $17 off it K-mart and you have yourself a deal.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
What I'd recommend is Adept in ME1, Infiltrator in ME2.
thanks. i have been eyeing a ME replay sometime before ME3 comes out. i'd feel dirty switching classes between 1 and 2, though... (it's stupid but he. immersion and all)

Finished the game and all of the DLC today - it's sad when something so very good ends, and you don't quite know what to do with yourself afterwards. (That sort of feeling is compounded by the quality of the characters and the universe as a whole.)

Bernbaum

Okay, scanned every planet and did every mini-quest.

I made a list of every system I'd visited but didn't probe so I could 100% the galaxy map. That way, if I get hungry for more scanning, I know which planets to visit. I'd totally play an iPhone game that was just scanning.

Now I'm off to get the IFF!

I love Mass Effect 2!

I am truly enjoying this game. Everything about it seems to flow very well. If only Dragon Age played more like this, I would have definitively play it through.

X-Frame

darkjedi187 said:
I am truly enjoying this game. Everything about it seems to flow very well. If only Dragon Age played more like this, I would have definitively play it through.
Agreed. Though it looks like DA2 is going to make the gameplay actually playable this time.

chemicals

Finished it yesterday afternoon. About half my crew died and I had everyone's loyalty... my character was a major bitch though. I imported her from ME1 and she's 100% renegade.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
chemicals said:
Finished it yesterday afternoon. About half my crew died and I had everyone's loyalty... my character was a major bitch though. I imported her from ME1 and she's 100% renegade.

Uh... so I guess my crew dies? Thx for the spoiler :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
commish said:
Uh... so I guess my crew dies? Thx for the spoiler :)

Its not as simple as that.
You're going on a suicide mission. Some people might die, or maybe nobody will die. The game does push this point somewhat, telling you your crew needs to be loyal and ready, and so on.

Bernbaum said:
Okay, scanned every planet and did every mini-quest.

I made a list of every system I'd visited but didn't probe so I could 100% the galaxy map. That way, if I get hungry for more scanning, I know which planets to visit. I'd totally play an iPhone game that was just scanning.

Now I'm off to get the IFF!

I love Mass Effect 2!
you scanned *every* planet? holy shit, man. so unnecessary! lol

X-Frame

Stallion Free said:
Let me guess, you only played the console version?
Yup. Just finished the PS3 version this past weekend for the first time and was not impressed (gameplay-wise). Not only it's performance but also the actual gameplay. Just felt boring to me. Story, characters, environments were awesome though.

Top Bottom