• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s kale salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

In an effort to offer healthier menu items, McDonald’s has unveiled a new salad with a “nutrient-rich lettuce blend with baby kale,” shaved Parmesan, and chicken (grilled or fried). Like many fast-food salads, it may seem like a healthy option at first, but it’s not. The salad, when paired with the restaurant’s Asiago Caesar Dressing, packs more fat, calories, and salt than a double Big Mac—that’s a sandwich with four beef patties.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-05-at-5.04.10-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-02-05-at-5.07.37-PM.png

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...-more-fat-and-calories-than-a-double-big-mac/

The article goes on to discuss the larger issue of unhealthy meals at restaurants....but WTF McD's. It's a salad.....a salad has one job on a restaurant menu: be healthy.....how do you screw that up?

JayB1920

The customer screws it up when using the a full packet of the asiago caesar dressing and fried chicken. Choosing grilled chicken and/or a different dressing would be a healthy alternative. Still people will assume it is healthy because it is a salad.

You choose the fattiest salad with fried chicken and croutons and then chose the fattiest salad dressing and somehow you're surprised so you blame McDonalds.

At least at McDonalds, the croutons, which represent ~200 cals and likely a good portion of carbs, are packaged away and inside a little bag and are optional.

3phemeral

The customer does when using the a full packet of the asiago caesar dressing and fried chicken. Choosing grilled chicken and/or a different dressing would be a healthy alternative. Still people will assume it is healthy because it is a salad.
Exactly. You can't have a healthy salad with crispy chicken and a cheese-based Caesar dressing. Get grilled and low-fat balsamic and your calories are significantly reduced.

RedBoot

Where in the hell is all of that sodium being packed in?! the crispy chicken?

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how they got that much sodium and carbs on a salad (thought it would be in the dressing like usual, but those values are before they add it). I can't find that exact salad on their website, but the one I did look at had most of the stuff in the "Southwest Vegetable Blend" (basically a lot of corn) and the "Cilantro Lime Glaze" (basically a bunch of corn syrup). And they sound so great from their names, too. :p

Come on. You have to be an idiot to think that putting cheese dressing and fried chicken on your salad is going to be loaded with calories and sodium.
McDonald's is just giving people options, if they want to grease it up its on them.

soco

The article goes on to discuss the larger issue of unhealthy meals at restaurants....but WTF McD's. It's a salad.....a salad has one job on a restaurant menu: be healthy.....how do you screw that up?

Salad's on fast food menus are often pretty terrible for you. You can look at any number of restaurants and find similar results. Compared to some of the other ones on this list from 2 years ago, that one seems slightly healthier ;) One of the worst offenders is Applebee's salad with almost 100g of fat.

Salad never meant healthy. just greens in some form.

Kaladin

109013098_e43a319c07_z.jpg

Salad's on fast food menus are often pretty terrible for you. You can look at any number of restaurants and find similar results. Compared to some of the other ones on this list from 2 years ago, that one seems slightly healthier ;)

True, but still.....I think the shot in the foot is that it is unhealthier than a large double specialty burger on their menu.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
2016 and fat continues to be the macronutrient that gets focused on.

The message that fat = makes you fat is just so intuitive to people that they believe it must be true!

It seems to me that if you factor in fries, which people who get a Big Mac are likely to order but those who get salads probably won't, this would make a bit more sense. The Big Mac meal with fries (not to mention ketchup for dipping) would definitely be worse than the salad in that case.

And I was confused why people were so confused about a Double Big Mac before I looked closer and saw that it has FOUR patties. Huh. That is odd. And definitely not something I plan to try.

Tansut

I remember having a Double Big Mac back when I was in high school or earlier. So that was like..... 12-15 years ago? Don't think I've seen any since though.

entremet

There is a "Denali Mac" available here in Alaska, it's just a Big Mac using 1/4lb patties.

Wait what?!

2016 and fat continues to be the macronutrient that gets focused on.

The message that fat = makes you fat is just so intuitive to people that they believe it must be true!

It's really stupid. The government recently released their updated nutritional guidelines and they're still fat phobic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom