• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s kale salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
The customer screws it up when using the a full packet of the asiago caesar dressing and fried chicken. Choosing grilled chicken and/or a different dressing would be a healthy alternative. Still people will assume it is healthy because it is a salad.
this, being a salad doesn't mean it's super healthy and will change your life by eating it, and that dressings are always super high fat and filled with oils unless you use a lite alternate

RDreamer

What's wrong with eating 2 quarter pounders?

You're basically saying they're unhealthy and instead you should eat two regular burgers, which just means you get more bread.

In the case of the big mac you just said that the 680 double version was unhealthy and instead you should eat two that are 563 calories each for a total of 1126.

I

Impossible allergy vs a very common psychological trait. It's not going very far.
It's not impossible. And i'm not the only one.
Some people are sensitive to MSG, some are not. I AM sensitive to MSG. It really depends on the amount used though.
I can tell when it's in a product. Maybe i'm oversensitive in general, but i do have a reaction to MSG. Intolerance might be a better word than allergy.. Or is that the same thing?
I agree that a lot of medical problems are basicly psychological but in this case it's a kind of insulting remark. Like i'm weak minded. I have this issue since i was a child. I didn't know about SMG untill adulthood. It took me a long time to find out what was causing it.

In our country the chinese restaurants use insane amounts of that stuff and there is when i notice the most. The food is so savory that I can tell it has MSG in it.
It's also used a lot in processed food. A lot of food doesn't even need it. It's just used to make you eat more of it.

Seriously. Your body cannot survive without sodium or glutamate. Those are essential metabolites. It might be that the taste of MSG is something that your brain thinks is poisonous but that's a different type of problem than an allergy to peanuts or something.

It doesn't even matter if you don't eat MSG, your body obtains or creates the sodium and glutamate from other sources so either your reaction is mental or you are constantly experiencing an allergic reaction. Hope that helps.

That's fine. Doesn't mean i'm not sensitive to MSG however.
And i know how impossible it seems for people who don't have that problem. I know science says it's not unhealthy and that most people have no issues with it whatsoever.
I guess i'm not most people because in my case it's an absolute certainty. So please take that as serious as i'm telling you.

I have an MSG shaker with my spices.

I guess I make shit products when I cook *shrug*

MSG is a flavor enhancer. It's used in junk food to make it taste better. It doesn't suddenly lose that ability to enhance savory flavors when added to "real" food.

yeah sorry, i know it is used a lot and most people on earth can eat and enjoy it without any problems. Having said that, i do think a lot of products don't even need it.
I sometimes ask a chinese restaurant to leave the MSG out and it tastes great. To me it even tastes better because it doesn't feel aggressive to my mouth.
And it is used in a lot (alsmost all) shitty processed foods.

I don't know all about japanese food but a lot of those soups (as well as those chinese noodle soups) are terrible for me. My gf loves them however. I think it's all shit.
But i did eat a lot of japanese food and that was some of the most pure food i ever ate in my life. Granted, it was in expensive restaurants and they only served really fresh food.

Anyway.. whatever. The outcome for me is that i eat mostly superfresh unprocessed food. So that's fine either way.

Enjoy eating GAf!

clem84

Gold Member
The article goes on to discuss the larger issue of unhealthy meals at restaurants....but WTF McD's. It's a salad.....a salad has one job on a restaurant menu: be healthy.....how do you screw that up?

There is more crap in that salad than actual salad. That's how.

It is used frequently in Chinese cuisine. Not just Americanized Chinese cuisine mind you.

So you're wrong about this as well.
I didn't say that it's only used in americanised chinese cuisine. I know chinese use it a lot.
I don't live in the usa, by the way.
I'm not wrong. You are wrong.

Biff

I think the point of the salads is that it is your entire meal.

Who eats just a hamburger? People won't get a double big mac; they'll get a double big mac + fries.

• So paired with a diet coke or water, your salad meal is 730 calories in total, for 29g of protein and 30g of carbs. And you're full.
  • Your double big mac + fries is well over 1000 calories, for marginally more protein and, I'd guess, 90ish grams of carbs? And you're full.
Yeah, we should totally get the double big mac! Thanks ArsTechnica for this ground-breaking journalism involving McDonalds.com's nutrition calculator and Windows screen snipping tool.

And others mentioned, you can easily bring the salad down to ~480 calories by making smarter choices.

But I guess it's easier to shit on the largest restaurant company in the world who has tried many times to bring healthier choices to its menu, at the damage of profitability. Shareholders hate salads. But it doesn't really matter, because Americans will ignore this attempt as well, McDonald's will scrap the salads, and it'll be another year or two before they try again.

KDR_11k

That can be arranged.
H6lDvZl.jpg

The closest thing I've seen is photos on the wall of the BK at the train station where people ordered like 10+ patties. The result looked more like a kebab spit.

ColdPizza

Banned
This is nothing new.

Remember back in the day they had those McSalad shakers? At the time, those were the worst thing on the menu fat/calorie wise.

No one HAS to put all of that dressing on there.

5hhVlHC.jpg

3phemeral

I think the point of the salads is that it is your entire meal.

Who eats just a hamburger? People won't get a double big mac; they'll get a double big mac + fries.

• So paired with a diet coke or water, your salad meal is 730 calories in total, for 29g of protein and 30g of carbs. And you're full.
  • Your double big mac + fries is well over 1000 calories, for marginally more protein and, I'd guess, 90ish grams of carbs? And you're full.
Yeah, we should totally get the double big mac! Thanks ArsTechnica for this ground-breaking journalism involving McDonalds.com's nutrition calculator and Windows screen snipping tool.

And others mentioned, you can easily bring the salad down to ~480 calories by making smarter choices.

But I guess it's easier to shit on the largest restaurant company in the world who has tried many times to bring healthier choices to its menu, at the damage of profitability. Shareholders hate salads. But it doesn't really matter, because Americans will ignore this attempt as well, McDonald's will scrap the salads, and it'll be another year or two before they try again.
In addition to this, they always ask "grilled or crispy" when you're ordering any of these salads so if you're trying to be healthy and you ignore the healthier alternatives, you're not trying very hard at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom