• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s kale salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

I'lll take a KFC 9 piece bucket, dark meat, fries, sweet tea and a side of salad. I'm trying to be healthy :)

I don't understand why stuff like a double Big Mac isn't on the menu everywhere. It's just adding two extra patties to a product you already sell. It reminds me of how amazed I was the first time I ever went to a McDonalds that had triple cheeseburgers.

Chicken Selects are far and away the unhealthiest thing on McD's menu. Putting them on top of a salad isn't going to magically change that.

Chicken Selects are far and away the unhealthiest thing on McD's menu. Putting them on top of a salad isn't going to magically change that.

There's a reason they're discontinued as a menu item you can buy individually. Now if you want them you need to get a wrap or salad.

Fat does not clog your arteries. I wonder when this nonsense of equating fat and grease with heart attacks will ever end.

Good god man it's a joke.

chadskin

That can be arranged.
H6lDvZl.jpg

What's that? You want a quadruple big mac?

mcdonalds-monster-mac.jpg

tumblr_mtyhoizyFN1rvgzkpo1_500.gif

Impotaku

They used to have that in the UK, it was known as the mega mac over here then the bastards discontinued it. Used to love them as it actually looked like what a big mac would look like if they actually made them the size of the menu pic.

After eating one of those in a meal deal you were properly full.

Back in the day when they used to the the 2 Big Macs for $3 promo, or whatever it was, I would routinely order two, stack them up, and unleash my inner glutton.

2016 and fat continues to be the macronutrient that gets focused on.

The message that fat = makes you fat is just so intuitive to people that they believe it must be true!

Even so, the fat in the big mac is healthier because it's the fat of the meat. The fat in the salad is some soybean shit they use to fry the chicken and make the dressing, plus other hydrogenated oils

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even so, the fat in the big mac is healthier because it's the fat of the meat. The fat in the salad is some soybean shit they use to fry the chicken and make the dressing, plus other hydrogenated oils

Certainly won't disagree with that! Throw away some or all of those buns and the Big Mac really isn't so bad.

M.W.

Don't eat at MacD's.

Problem solved. The calories are abundant but dat sodium. Say hello to higher blood pressure.

bwahhhhh

the big mac was always my favorite tasting mcd'swich, but i usually get something else bc i'd rather have more beef/less bread. DOUBLE big mac, now we're talking

HariKari

If you want a shock, look up the stuff for Carl's Jr. (or Hardee's, for you crazies). Everything on their menu is Chicken Selects tier.

They have turkey burgers, as well as regular chicken, plus you can get pretty much anything wrapped in lettuce.

Fat isn't really a problem. More about carbs.

Wait...what's in the salad that brings it to 560 calories without dressing?

Fried/breaded chicken

daveo42

Banned
Exactly. You can't have a healthy salad with crispy chicken and a cheese-based Caesar dressing. Get grilled and low-fat balsamic and your calories are significantly reduced.

Yeah, this is pretty much the right direction. Fried, breaded chicken and that dressing skyrockets the overall fat and kcal count of what should otherwise be a healthy salad. Though I'm sure there aren't near enough actual leafy greens in the salad to matter. Seriously the ratio of meat:veggies should be closer to 4:1, not 1:1.

andthebeatgoeson

Skip the goddamn dressing people, dressings and sauces contain so many calories its not even funny
With a good salad, you need, maybe, 2 tablespoons of dressing. Problem with store bought salads is they skip tasteful fruits and vegetables and put croutons, lots of cheese and some other carb.

If you want crunchy, fresh raw broccoli and peppers will do the job. Throw sunflower seeds on that. Blueberries and strawberries give juice and flavor. Onions for spice, hell a dab of srirachi sauce, egg whites. You have a damn good amount fiber, flavor and options.

Spinach for better 'lettuce' and launch any iceberg lettuce into the sun. Cilantro for another flavor. I'm set.

I blame my mom for only giving us iceberg lettuce and tomato for a 'salad' with lots of ranch dressing. Turned me off for life.

RDreamer

There's a lot of surprising shit that can inflate your calorie count out there. You learn a lot about food when you start counting things with an app or something. For instance, you don't think you're doing too bad of a job by heading to somewhere like QDoba, but if you get a tortilla shell then the minimum your burrito will cost you is somewhere around 900 calories. The shell itself is like 300, which blew my mind.

Getting mayo and shit on your subway can easily skyrocket that shit too. Salad dressings can pack a punch and I see a lot of people eating their salads just doused in the shit. I'm glad I actually don't like salad dressing for the most part. If I want that flavor I'll put like a drop. I dunno how someone could eat a whole packet of that shit like that McDonald's picture shows.

With a good salad, you need, maybe, 2 tablespoons of dressing. Problem with store bought salads is they skip tasteful fruits and vegetables and put croutons, lots of cheese and some other carb.

I can't even do 2 tablespoons. That's like insane. Maybe half a tablespoon for a fucking massive salad is good for me. I don't understand how people can like the blast of flavor like that. And like... don't you guys want to actually taste the salad itself? And if there's cheese in it then I definitely don't need dressing.

andthebeatgoeson

I can't even do 2 tablespoons. That's like insane. Maybe half a tablespoon for a fucking massive salad is good for me. I don't understand how people can like the blast of flavor like that. And like... don't you guys want to actually taste the salad itself?
Hell, most of that is left on the plate. I suspect I'm actually eating only a tablespoon. And I'm eating a low fat dressing.

Again, iceberg lettuce from Hades shits up our impression of salad. That shit is everywhere and has no nutritional value and no taste. Spinach all day and a ton of other tasty things can really set off a good salad.

Hell, I'm buying a bundle of cilantro a week and a little red onion? From the God's.

Thank god for My Dekalb Farmers Market.

Picking the crispy fried chicken version and using all the dressing is what does it.

Grilled chicken with a lighter dressing would be a decent choice.

McDonalds has a few not so horrible choices if you know what to pick.

That's assuming you dump the entire packet of dressing on it and eat all of the unhealthy parts of the salad, like the croutons. I would hope nobody would do that since it would defeat the whole purpose of ordering a salad.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Every restaurant has not-terrible choices if you know what to pick. However, for every fast food, fast-casual, or casual dining chain, the majority of their products add up to more than half of your recommended daily caloric intake. You go to Applebees and an get an appetizer, its already enough calories for a meal. Go to Five Guys and get a burger with fries and its over 1000 calories, excluding drink. It is a systemic where people complain about portion sizes and "value" when people don't understand how much they are really eating.

Every restaurant has not-terrible choices if you know what to pick. However, for every fast food, fast-casual, or casual dining chain, the majority of their products add up to more than half of your recommended daily caloric intake. You go to Applebees and an get an appetizer, its already enough calories for a meal. Go to Five Guys and get a burger with fries and its over 1000 calories, excluding drink. It is a systemic where people complain about portion sizes and "value" when people don't understand how much they are really eating.

The McDonalds southwest chicken salad has been a good fallback when in need of a quick cheap lunch for me. Just toss most of the dressing and the tortilla strips.

andthebeatgoeson

The regular meal equivalent is super size it, add cheese and bacon and a full drink and large milk shake and wonder how you got to 1800 calories?

Dennis

Banned
I don't know how much you know about American culture (I am a GAF-renowned expert) but there is no such thing as a double Big Mac.

Egg0

Banned
So I've been eating their salad on a weekly basis for almost a year now, since I've started my diet.

I get their premium salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing. If their calorie calculator is to be believed, it's about 490 calories if you use the whole packet of ranch dressing (I barely use half the packet). After taxes, it costs exactly 5.50.

I've lost a ton of weight since then, but I'm not saying it's a major contributor to my weight loss. I also don't think it's hurting it. I think it's one of those things where, yeah, if you get crispy chicken, croutons and dump a ton of dressing on a pile of vegetables, it's not going to be great for you.

The Double Big Mac was a thing here back in the mid 90's (SoCal) but I haven't seen it since. It didn't last very long here either.

As for the salad, yeah, fried chicken (pure fat + sodium) with any type of buttermilk based dressing (pure fat) is going to be horrible for you.

Is the double big Mac not on the menu in the US? Here in Canada it's one if the default combos on the board
Haven't seen it here since the mid 90's.

ThisGuy

Haven't been to McDonalds in awhile, but now I know what i'm getting when I do.
Go double bigmac, add bacon top and bottom, extra Mac sauce.

Thank me later. I wish they still had the apple pie Alamode. Goat mcd's dessert.

Hmm googled mcd's apple pie alamode, the ones we had were on a small black plate that also had whip cream and a cherry on top. Not seeing that tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom