• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s kale salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

I disagree. It will make you eat more shit.
Personally, i have a msg allergy. But i can't blame msg for that.

There's no such thing as a MSG allergy. And MSG is just a salt, one of the most abundant naturally occurring of its kind, found in all kinds of vegetables and cheeses. Tomatoes, potatoes, parmesan. It's not a product.

Basically there's no science behind what you're saying.

Violet_0

Banned
if you're getting a salad in a fast-food restaurant, you're doing it wrong. Do they have any low-calories dressing?

Dark_castle

César salad is caloric as hell in any place

Caeser salad is the most hypocrite food invention ever. The point of eating salad is for the fiber and micronutrient goodness. Add those dressing, bacon, crouton, you already spoiled the salad by making it high in calories and swimming in terrible carbs and fat. I'm surprised it wasn't invented by 'Murican.

There's no such thing as a MSG allergy. And MSG is just a salt, one of the most abundant naturally occurring of its kind, found in all kinds of vegetables and cheeses. Tomatoes, potatoes, parmesan. It's not a product.

I know all that.
Still have a strong physical reaction to it. An allergy.
It took me years and years to find out it was caused by MSG. I know science considers it completely safe and i know most people eat it without any problems.

I know all about MSG, so save the lectures.
I've read everything about it from science to scared truthers.

Maybe different people react differently to it.
Intolerance might be a better word than allergy.

Oh, and it's produced too. There are factories.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Uh, there is. It's just really rare.
There are people allergic to beef and poultry. It doesn't mean everyone else is.

Apt101

I know all that.
Still have a strong physical reaction to it. An allergy.
It took me years and years to find out it was caused by MSG. I know science considers it completely safe and i know most people eat it without any problems.

I know all about MSG, so save the lectures.
I've read everything about it from science to scared truthers.

Maybe different people react differently to it.

Oh, and it's produced too. There are factories.

If you know everything about MSG, then you'd be aware that your reactions are probably a mental thing, like similar syndromes. For example, I bet you consume plenty of items that include naturally occurring and even added MSG daily and don't even realize it, like many other people who think they have an allergic reaction to it. Just a guess.

Uh, there is. It's just really rare.
There are people allergic to beef and poultry. It doesn't mean everyone else is.

There hasn't been any scientific study that could identify a MSG allergy. I don't know what you mean by your second sentence - yes, I agree, some people have allergies and some do not.

If you know everything about MSG, then you'd be aware that your reactions are probably a mental thing, like similar syndromes. For example, I bet you consume plenty of items that include naturally occurring and even added MSG daily and don't even realize it, like many other people who think they have an allergic reaction to it. Just a guess.

There hasn't been any scientific study that could identify a MSG allergy. I don't know what you mean by your second sentence - yes, I agree, some people have allergies and some do not.
Lol. I knew you would go that far.
Carry on.

lol at everyone going "Double Big Mac?!?!"

I had the same reaction when I moved to Canada from the US but it is one of their standard combos up here and it's glorious and not too crazy on calories for it being a Double. Big Macs in general are not too insane on calories tbh.

Log4Girlz

Caeser salad is the most hypocrite food invention ever. The point of eating salad is for the fiber and micronutrient goodness. Add those dressing, bacon, crouton, you already spoiled the salad by making it high in calories and swimming in terrible carbs and fat. I'm surprised it wasn't invented by 'Murican.

Salads should only be lettuce or other leafy green and nothing else.

Apt101

lol at everyone going "Double Big Mac?!?!"

I had the same reaction when I moved to Canada from the US but it is one of their standard combos up here and it's glorious and not too crazy on calories for it being a Double. Big Macs in general are not too insane on calories tbh.

It's basically the same as eating a couple of cheese burgers. Given the size of their patties, like 1.5 oz, not surprising. Many basic fast food burgers have about the same calories as a sandwich a person might make at home. They just get dodgy when they're of the big, greasy, ingredient-laden variety, and a person is consuming them along with a side of fries and a soft drink.

entremet

520kal for a fucking salad?

Is that a lot? It has a good amount of protein and fat from the dressing.

I guess since I use MyFitnessPal, I'm not shocked.

But I was losing weight on a 2400 diet, so around 800 calories per meal.

Calories, in and of themselves, don't mean anything without context.

Al-ibn Kermit

Lol. I knew you would go that far.
Carry on.

Seriously. Your body cannot survive without sodium or glutamate. Those are essential metabolites. It might be that the taste of MSG is something that your brain thinks is poisonous but that's a different type of problem than an allergy to peanuts or something.

It doesn't even matter if you don't eat MSG, your body obtains or creates the sodium and glutamate from other sources so either your reaction is mental or you are constantly experiencing an allergic reaction. Hope that helps.

Futureman

520kal for a fucking salad?

Pretty much any sit down restaurant that serves salads as the main meal will have bigger and higher calorie salads. Plus you choose how much dressing to put on. This is an entire meal, and if you drink water what's the problem?

HolySheep

Neo Member
Dressing I use is 7 cal per 15ml
Won't do much to you unless you are drinking the bottle whole

yup. It's all about the amount. Lets say i were to cover my daily intake of calories(2500 kcal) with just kethup(no added sugar). I would have to consume 13-14 bottles(510gr per bottle).

http://www.stabburet.no/Merker-Produkter/Merker/Idun/(productId)/57330

With added sugar i would still have to consume 5 bottles or 2,5 kg with ketchup...

Or thousand island dressing; 10 bottles( 500 ish gr).

http://www.stabburet.no/Merker-Produkter/Merker/Idun/(productId)/46909

Says alot about Mcdonalds' dressing...

regarding MSG allergies looks like there was some link but in a small subset of people

http://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/msg#Overview1
In 2014, Clinical Nutrition Research did present a link between MSG and allergy reactions in a small subset of people who suffer from chronic hives. However, the majority of these reports involve mild symptoms, such as:

• tingling skin
  • headache
  • a burning sensation in the chest
Larger doses of MSG have beenfound to cause symptoms. But those portions are unlikely to be found in restaurant or in grocery store food.

I know my dad gets itchy when there are high amounts of MSG in food and my friend's wife breaks out in hives when she eats food with MSG

andthebeatgoeson

So I've been eating their salad on a weekly basis for almost a year now, since I've started my diet.

I get their premium salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing. If their calorie calculator is to be believed, it's about 490 calories if you use the whole packet of ranch dressing (I barely use half the packet). After taxes, it costs exactly 5.50.

I've lost a ton of weight since then, but I'm not saying it's a major contributor to my weight loss. I also don't think it's hurting it. I think it's one of those things where, yeah, if you get crispy chicken, croutons and dump a ton of dressing on a pile of vegetables, it's not going to be great for you.
I would say it's helping a lot. Congrats.

The conversion to eating just enough and healthier choices has to happen. I'm in cock fil a right now reading their Asian salad. Just the difference between grilled chicken and fried, breaded makes a difference. So keep at it.

It's the first time I've gotten the medium sweet tea. I'm trying to find little differences. I've probably saved myself 500 calories, if not more, compared to a spicy chicken sandwich meal, super size, with a tea.

chicken big mac?

It's basically a Big Mac with 2 chicken patties instead of the burger patties. Surprisingly, the chicken patties work well with the sauce. I also had a breakfast sandwich that had both sausage and a slice of Canadian bacon (or maybe it was just ham) in it with egg and cheese.

Was interesting and pretty good to say the least.

Lol MSG
Anyway. MSG is used only in shit products and it will make you eat more of said shit products.

I have an MSG shaker with my spices.

I guess I make shit products when I cook *shrug*

MSG is a flavor enhancer. It's used in junk food to make it taste better. It doesn't suddenly lose that ability to enhance savory flavors when added to "real" food.

Kas

It's basically a Big Mac with 2 chicken patties instead of the burger patties. Surprisingly, the chicken patties work well with the sauce. I also had a breakfast sandwich that had both sausage and a slice of Canadian bacon (or maybe it was just ham) in it with egg and cheese.

Was interesting and pretty good to say the least.

Get a McChicken with tomato, cheddar, and mac sauce. It's pretty great, and it's the only thing I special order from anywhere.

Pinkuss

I have an MSG shaker with my spices.

I guess I make shit products when I cook *shrug*

MSG is a flavor enhancer. It's used in junk food to make it taste better. It doesn't suddenly lose that ability to enhance savory flavors when added to "real" food.

MSG is pretty awesome, used to have some myself. Isn't it just sodium (aka salty thing) and glutamates (which are in mushrooms, seaweed, broccoli etc)?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I just assumed the US had a Double Big Mac too.

Same. I'm kinda blown away at the shock of the existence of a Double Big Mac. It's been on the regular menu for years and years in Canada. My brother always gets one. I know that McDonald's menus differ from country to country (and sometimes within the same country) but this seems like such a basic item that they would have in the US.

MSG is pretty awesome, used to have some myself. Isn't it just sodium (aka salty thing) and glutamates (which are in mushrooms, seaweed, broccoli etc)?

Yes, it's just a different kind of salt. I've seen cooking suggestions to mix it with real salt, so you don't even need to think about it when adding it to stuff.

It's a "secret ingredient" that can really enhance the flavor of food. If it didn't, garbage food wouldn't use it to mask poor quality.

fester

Banned
So much thread derailing from the double big mac and overall missing the point here. While it may be fun to dismiss the whole thing as "LOL dumb people at fault", this is about advertising and market manipulation. If the average person sees salads as a healthy option, they are going to focus on that as the core component of the meal and disregard all the unhealthy extras that are added to it. If your friends/family are going to McDonald's, or you're on the road and need something quick, it's completely reasonable to stop in a McD's and look for a "healthy" choice. You pick a salad, it tastes great (thanks to the extra fat, calories, and salt added) and you walk away feeling OK about yourself and will keep coming back for more.

It's the same principle that other industries use when they offer the main product in an attractive way and get you take on a bunch of extra "addons". It's human tendency to focus on the main item and discount/ignore everything else tacked on. McDonald's knows this and takes advantage of it when they market their salads. Oh, they'll never come out and say literally "this is healthy food", but they do everything possible to lead you to that conclusion.

PFD

I don't know what ketchup they use at Macdonald's, but if you look at Heinz, ketchup is actually quite OK

76000482.ashx

You must be kidding right? That's 7grams of sugar per pouch.

It boggles my mind when people go crazy about fat and ignore the sugar.

There's double Big Mac, double Fish, double McChicken and double Quarter Pounder.

And they're all terrible. Hard to eat and obviously unhealthy. If you're that hungry just get two regular burgers.

Are you seriously suggesting that eating double the amount of bread would be healthier?

Well if it didn't feel like biting down into a heart attack, I wouldn't. Nothing worth than trying to digest a big amount of greasy beef in one gulp.

2x regular Quarter Pounders all the way.

WTF lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom