• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s kale salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think of a double big mac as two salads with toppings around it. This way I get the healthier option by name and caloric intake.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Stop clogging my arteries McDonalds, you're brecking my heart.

Dark_castle

Even the salad bowl itself without the dressing is fucking atrocious. 1100+ mg of sodium? 30g fat?

Oh wait. Crispy chicken, instead of grilled. Of course.

So, we're all just ignoring the OP and sitting in awe that the double Big Mac is a thing? I can get behind this, I didn't know it existed either.

RagnarokX

So, we're all just ignoring the OP and sitting in awe that the double Big Mac is a thing? I can get behind this, I didn't know it existed either.

I'm more in awe of the amount of posters that think the double big mac is something new. McDonalds used to serve it on their normal menu every October as the "Monster Mac".

Well, if you're going to put fried chicken and cheese-based Caesar dressing then yes, it'll have a lot of fat. But most people aren't going to McDonald's for a salad.

That said, I miss having this meal when I was in Vienna this past summer:
at7Z4Os.jpg

tcrunch

It's a salad.....a salad has one job on a restaurant menu: be healthy.....how do you screw that up?

Its job is to be healthy and tasty and cheap when compared to obviously delicious items like burgers, because it's competing with everything else on the menu- this is significantly harder than just "be healthy".

And of those three attributes, one of them cannot be detected when you buy it or eat it.

Apt101

I just go to Taco Bell when I need fast food now and get a chicken and steak Gordito Supreme. 270 and 290 calories, 9 and 10 grams of fat. Fills ya up.

Mr.Mike

Don't eat at MacD's.

Problem solved. The calories are abundant but dat sodium. Say hello to higher blood pressure.

I feel like I've been seeing this sodium being really bad for you stuff getting debunked on the internet.

IDK, nutrition is probably the topic that is most rife with inaccuracy on the internet.

Anyway, 730 calories isn't really crazy as 1 of 3 meals someone might have in a day. You pair that with sugar water and fries and you've gone probably a bit too far, but the people ordering salads aren't getting fries and a drink I don't think. (And as has been mentioned you could go with leaner toppings as well).

GatorBait

They chose some of the highest fat/calorie options for the salad: crispy instead of grilled chicken, and a creamy/cheese-based dressing (are they also including croutons?). Even so, it seems like a better choice than the Big Mac to me. At least with the salad you are getting a better percentage of your daily requirement of vitamins. Plus, I'd assume you eat that salad as your whole meal, whereas with the burger you probably get some side order (likely fries).

If you're a guy, 700 calories for lunch is pretty moderate. Even the higher sodium isn't that that bad in a vacuum. Adults are recommended anywhere between 1,500-2,400 mg of sodium per day, and more isn't necessarily bad for you if you're not sodium sensitive or already have hypertension/increased risk factors for high blood pressure. If you exercise, you can even eat more sodium as you'll excrete some through sweat.

That said, nobody should think a highly processed McDonald's salad with fried chicken and Caesar dressing is a "healthy option."

I think Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken salad (Minus the candied pecans) is the only fast food salad that won't kill you.

It's pretty damn good to boot.

jwk94

Well, if you're going to put fried chicken and cheese-based Caesar dressing then yes, it'll have a lot of fat. But most people aren't going to McDonald's for a salad.

That said, I miss having this meal when I was in Vienna this past summer:

chicken big mac?

GatorBait

I think Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken salad (Minus the candied pecans) is the only fast food salad that won't kill you.

A challenger appears!:

The Chick-Fil-A Grilled Market Salad. I'll even order an extra 8 or 12 piece grilled chicken nuggets to add to it to make it a meal with a great macronutrient profile.

What about the Wendy's Asian Cashew salad with grilled chicken?

Anyhow, eat anything you want, just keep your total calories down for the day. It isn't what Americans eat, it's how many calories they eat, total, that is killing them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I prefer the Breckin Salad.

Yeah, double big mac is the real news here

If I wanted a salad I'd be going to the grocery, no offense to fast food salad lovers

if you guys didnt know you can also have custom order for a big mac to have the quarter pounder meat.

Thread is blowing my mind

I almost want to eat a McD burger again for the first time in like 10 years just to try these

Almost

Skip the goddamn dressing people, dressings and sauces contain so many calories its not even funny

Depends. The honey vinaigrette I use has 5 cals per 2 tablespoons. McDs has a couple low fat and vinaigrette options ranging from 25 calories per pouch. But yes, Creamy or cheese based dressings, croutons, and cheese are where the calories come from if not the meats.

The worst part of McDs salad is that they put cheese on them and you cant special order without cheese. It's easily picked off, but still.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Double Big Mac's are a canadian thing. We've had them for years and years.

It surprises me to this day that it's not in the US, considering how much you guys love to eat junk.

Trike

Well yeah, eating KFC with broccoli does not make the KFC healthy. The grilled chicken one is way less calories, but I guess that wouldn't make for a very interesting headline. It's McDonalds, not all of their salads are going to be healthy choices. Hell, a lot of salads are not very healthy choices. Especially not a Chicken Caeser. If the headline was "McDonald's Spring Mix Salad has more fat and calories than a double Big Mac" then maybe we should have some concern that McDonald's is drunk.

There is a "Denali Mac" available here in Alaska, it's just a Big Mac using 1/4lb patties.

RIP McKinley Mac.

Haha, blaming Mc Donalds for not eating healthy.
Everything there asside from water is shit, enhanced with shit and extra salt and msg.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
All small time.

b0075548_11265469.jpg

My type of menu.

Also lol at "fat" just being inconsequential. It isn't. I hate to say the word ( because it has been co-opted by pseudo-science), but diet is a "holistic" thing, you can't look at any single micro or macro nutrient and just call a food healthy. Behaviors matter.

Madao

Double Big Mac has been standard in my country's McDonalds ever since it was introduced decades ago.

i never order it tho. i prefer the Angus line.

Apt101

Haha, blaming Mc Donalds for not eating healthy.
Everything there asside from water is shit, enhanced with shit and extra salt and msg.

There's nothing wrong with MSG. I think it's surprising McD's has a salad that appears similar to other salads outwardly while containing that much fat and calories. The local McD's in my area show the caloric estimations of menu items, so I agree it's a person's own fault if they still choose something unhealthy. But McD's could at least make an effort here to reduce the calories in that salad. The average person reads or hears "kale chicken salad" and is going to assume it's healthier than a damn Big Mac afterall.

oti

Banned
How is this surprising to anyone with a functioning brain? Salad doesn't "suck out" the calories of fried chicken. IT'S STILL FRIED YOU IDIOTS.

jesu

I was going to quote everyone that said double big mac? and agree.
But there is too many!

Want one, calories don't seem too high either.
I could get a chicken salad with it for a healthy meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom