• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Good game guys, shame I still stink at it. I think I need to crank up my first-person camera speed. As a sniper, I'm getting taken out before I can even acquire a target.

dork

Banned
Finally found the Emblems

Some talk about Singleplayer so be warned I guess?

Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding Emblem:

Ant: Shake 50 enemies for items.

Assassin's: Successfully complete the game in Single Player mode with killing more than 50 enemies with the knife, having over 50 CQC holds, and getting discovered less than 25 times.

Bear: Choke 100 enemies to death.

Bee: Use the Scanning Plug S or Syringe on 50 enemies.

Big Boss: Successfully complete the game in Single Player mode on the hardest difficulty without dying, instigating no alerts, killing no enemies (including Bosses), using no life recovery items, using no stealth suit or bandanna special items (can possess, but not activate), and with a completion time of less than 5 hours.

Blue Bird: Give friendly soldiers 50 items.

Eagle: Get 150 headshots.

Fox: Successfully complete the game in Single Player mode on the Naked Normal or higher difficulty without dying, instigating no more than five alerts, killing no enemies (including Bosses), using no life recovery items, using no stealth suit or bandanna special items (can possess, but not activate), and with a completion time of less than 6 hours.

Fox Hound: Successfully complete the game in Single Player mode on the Big Boss Hard or higher difficulty without dying, instigating no more than three alerts, killing no enemies (including Bosses), using no life recovery items, using no stealth suit or bandanna special items (can possess, but not activate), and with a completion time less than 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Frog: Dive or roll 200 times.

Gecko: Press against walls for a total of one hour.

Giant Panda: Successfully complete the game after 30 cumulative hours of game play.

Gibbon: Hold up 50 enemies.

Hawk: Be admired by 25 friendly soldiers.

Hog: Get 10 combat highs.

Hound: Successfully complete the game in Single Player mode on the Naked Normal or higher difficulty without dying, instigating no more than three alerts, killing no enemies (including Bosses), using no life recovery items, using no stealth suit or bandanna special items (can possess, but not activate), and with a completion time less than 6 hours and 30 minutes.

Hyena: Pick up 400 dropped weapons.

Inch Worm: Crawl on the ground for a total of one hour.

Little Gray: Collect all 69 weapons.

Lobster: Crouch for a total of 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Rabbit: Look at 100 Playboy pages.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus I suck at MGO

Just applied to Foxhound, so I hope I get accepted.

Just a few quick questions though

CQC

After I grab them, I'm not sure what else to do

I can't slit their throat for some reason, all I do is just hold down R1 and choke them slowly, from which they just eventually escape

Crouching while grabbing them does nothing either...

Are there better alternatives? Or am I not doing the throat slit right? Hold Triangle right?

hteng

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Jesus I suck at MGO

Just applied to Foxhound, so I hope I get accepted.

Just a few quick questions though

CQC

After I grab them, I'm not sure what else to do

I can't slit their throat for some reason, all I do is just hold down R1 and choke them slowly, from which they just eventually escape

Crouching while grabbing them does nothing either...

Are there better alternatives? Or am I not doing the throat slit right? Hold Triangle right?

can only slit throats with Blade+ lvl 3

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
can only slit throats with Blade+ lvl 3

Ahh! I was wondering why someone was able to do it to me, but not me to them.

What would you recommend then if I have low skill levels, but get them in a hold?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
xS1TH L0RDx said:
so wait, i'm sorry for being retarded, but is foxhound a clan separate from the neogaf clan, or is it a part of it?
It's the second clan, the first one is full already (64 member limit).

Darkpen

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
like this?
15qf8lw.png
yes

I am having such a hard time picking which skills to raise. I have running and assault on level 2, but then I wanted to be sniper, now I fond out that without CQC lvl 1 I can't even hold people. Now I am back to Speed lvl 2, CQC 1, and Knife 1. Its all up and down here.

Tons of fun games tonight tho!

The one game when I was the MK II led Snake to victory!

My very first Sneaking match started with me as Snake. I didn't know I had to collect dog tags till the last 15 seconds and I still almost won. I collected 2 very quickly and was but a couple of seconds from the 3rd : ( I did get 10 stuns, though :D

AkuMifune

Banned
Farnack said:
One thing that boggles me... what's with the training?

There's like this question mark selection.

Maybe something that can be unlocked? I was curious about that too.

Any idea how useful Sixth Sense is? I'm thinking of switching it to knife, but if it will help the rest of the group using SOP, I'll keep it.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Im going online for the first time. Beat the single player mode already. any basics i need to know? i dont wanna go through all 18 pages of this thread to try and figure some simple things. Do you guys have a clan/room? i see in the original post it says in Rosemary. do i need a password?

Farnack

Banned
CB3 said:
Im going online for the first time. Beat the single player mode already. any basics i need to know? i dont wanna go through all 18 pages of this thread to try and figure some simple things. Do you guys have a clan/room? i see in the original post it says in Rosemary. do i need a password?
Just kill.

The only thing slightly complicated is being Snake in Sneak mode.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
CB3 said:
Password is always
believe

Teknoman

CB3 said:

Always always ALWAYS SOP link up with your team mates at the start of the match. Just press triangle while moving or standing still near a team mate to link up. Really helps out.
That way you always see where your team mates are (even behind objects) and also certain skills equipped let you see the last person they attacked, who attacked them, or traps.

As far as clans go. The second clan, NeoGAF FoxUnit is up and you'll probably want to join that one.

Also if you have to move out in the open, try to join up with one other guy at least. Other than that, keep stealth in mind and your eyes open.

Killthee

My server is down for the night (The "NeoGAF" server with the message "Don't forget to use SOP." in Rosemary). Does anybody who played on it have any suggestions? Any preferred maps/rule combos? Should I take out the DM, Rescue, & Capture rules (server seemed like it was dying when it switched to those rules)? Should I drop the TDM from 4 rounds to 2 and replace the other rules with TDM (except sneaking & base)? Any significant prolonged lag experienced? I basically need any feedback you got so I can keep this thing going.

Anybody up for setting up a NeoGAF only night? I'll gladly lock the server if we can get at least 10 people in it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
logo done (pita let me tell ya). waiting for emblem editing rights. i'll join you guys for some games tonight.

Sallokin

alr1ghtstart said:
logo done (pita let me tell ya). waiting for emblem editing rights. i'll join you guys for some games tonight.

Can't wait to see it. Hopefully Jason will log on soon and give you the rights.

Farnack

Banned
Killthee said:
My server is down for the night (The "NeoGAF" server with the message "Don't forget to use SOP." in Rosemary). Does anybody who played on it have any suggestions? Any preferred maps/rule combos? Should I take out the DM, Rescue, & Capture rules (server seemed like it was dying when it switched to those rules)? Should I drop the TDM from 4 rounds to 2 and replace the other rules with TDM (except sneaking & base)? Any significant prolonged lag experienced? I basically need any feedback you got so I can keep this thing going.

Anybody up for setting up a NeoGAF only night? I'll gladly lock the server if we can get at least 10 people in it.
Kill Display always on.

Password lock always on.

Edit: Password lock always on during peak hours. I guess it's fine for the mornings and early afternoons.

Killthee

Teknoman said:
Turn on Ghost Prank option. That and Drebin points should always be mandatory.
Had both on : P
Farnack said:
Kill Display always on.

Password lock always on.

Edit: Password lock always on during peak hours. I guess it's fine for the mornings and early afternoons.
Really? The game is a lot more strategic with silent mode on & enemy names off IMO. Playing dead is impossible when your health meter shows up in your opponents cross hairs and teamwork is crucial when you can't see through the camera of the person who killed you.

As for password lock, I don't think it's that big of an issue at this point. We can kick non gaffers out to make room for gaffers if need be and we can lock the server when we have clan only nights. I just think it's really hard to get a server going if you lock the server from the start.

Farnack

Banned
Killthee said:
Really? The game is a lot more strategic with silent mode on & enemy names off IMO. Playing dead is impossible when your health meter shows up in your opponents cross hairs and teamwork is crucial when you can't see through the camera of the person who killed you.

As for password lock, I don't think it's that big of an issue at this point. We can kick non gaffers out to make room for gaffers if need be and we can lock the server when we have clan only nights. I just think it's really hard to get a server going if you lock the server from the start.
People were complaining about not having kill display.

A lot of random laggers and crappy nonclanners were on.

I leave servers for these reasons.

Killthee

Farnack said:
People were complaining about not having kill display.

A lot of random laggers and crappy nonclanners were on.

I leave servers for these reasons.
I'll turn it on tomorrow night & pass lock it to see how it works out :D

FatalT

Banned
Had some fun games tonight, guys. I really need to get a few of you together the next time we're all playing on the same team to coordinate a shield attack. I was trying it out here and there and it seemed like it could work great. Y'know, in between knife sprees.

GrayFoxPL

So Yesterday I played MGO first time since the beta. Wow it feels different!

Maybe it's just me but shooting in OTS view seems easier then in FTP now.

Oh and I'm stupid but where is the sixaxis tilt option to change granate throwing rage? They took it out?

I'm surprised the auto aim is off by default. I only really used it in the Beta sometimes for the shotgun and knife, but is there any shame in turning it on in options now?

About those fixed voice coms samples: I never bothered with figuring it out in the beta, but are they available only from keyboard shortcuts? And where's the list of them? I don't mean those with Select button, but the custom ones that you can't even set up for Select.

So, where's Euro Gaf Clan? Can't wait to play with you guys again. :D

Oni Jazar

Killthee said:
I'll turn it on tomorrow night & pass lock it to see how it works out :D

I had a great time on your server last night and wouldn't change a thing!

Damn it takes forever to level up in this game though. :/

PatrickEwing

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been asked.. I just hopped on for the first time yesterday, how do you voice chat?

and how do i apply for the fox clan?

PatrickEwing said:
Not sure if this has been asked.. I just hopped on for the first time yesterday, how do you voice chat?

Hold Select for a couple of seconds.

Also, does anyone know how to salute? And is there a decent guide for MGO out there? Google hasn't been that useful in this regard...

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
PatrickEwing said:

and how do i apply for the fox clan?
To join FoxUnit do the following
Nozdeuce said:
If in the US, from the main menu > clan > join a clan > search > neogaf > neogaf:foxunit > apply

todahawk

my vote was for this one:
mgo_gaffox_big.gif

should we also vote on an official foxunit themesong? :p

if someone wants to give me editing rights i can give it a shot. my day job involves lots of photoshop.:D

edit: BTW played in the neogaf room last night and boy was that amazing. great skills all around. who was going crazy with the plug? i was hiding out on BB and kept getting picked off because of it.

had an awesome moment on BB too, someone was using a team-mate as a human shield and picked off another tm with hist pistol... I was up above on the cat walk with my SVD and got the headshot to release him.

Ephemeris said:
Question is, who could make these inside MGO's paint tool? :lol

I can shoot and CQC with the best of them. But I have the artistic ability of a limestone.

Maybe that explains why I've seemingly dated only artists for the last 5 years
:lol :lol

I know you have to be a certain level to start a clan, I'm still level 0, because I only learned how to level up abilities last night... will I still be able to use the tool? Cos I'd have a go if so.

Or if someone else wants to do it, I can send you a blown up version with a grid and the RGB values for each of the 16 colours so it looks right.

todahawk

Ken Masters said:
how do you level up abilities?
Depends on the skill. See the IGN faq, it explains a lot http://faqs.ign.com/articles/869/869398p1.html

But when you're playing, you'll see in the lower left a list of your skills, ones that are lit have the potential to be improved. If its grayed out you need to equip the right weapon or whatever.

But to level up sniper rifle, for example, you need to actually get kills with it. Some you just need to have equipped (generally), like the SOP skills. Running is harder than you think to level up, you have to run constantly! Walk or crawing or crouching does nothing!

Indeed

greenjerk said:
Running is harder than you think to level up, you have to run constantly! Walk or crawing or crouching does nothing!

Isnt it possible to open a game on your own, pick a random password and just run around for hours to level it up?

Top Bottom