• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Alright, finally got the time to play some. Mind you, I've only played for like 40 minutes or so, but everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, so far oozes quality. And this is Metal Gear Solid Redux, no doubt. :D :D :D

Man, I so want to use this game as my reason to finally get a PS3.

The problem is I hate games with long cutscenes :(

The gameplay itself sounds fun, but I think the cutscenes are going to drive me nuts.

When I played MGS3, I was playing the first level, and I was just yelling at the screen "godamn, shut the fuck up already. oh my god youre not finished?? Its my turn!!!"

And then I just stopped playing.

Fuck, I dont think this is going to work for me... can anyone comment on how ridiculous the cutscenes actually are?

Tenbatsu

hirokazu said:
Why is the spelling and grammar on this thing as bad as on pirate DVDs? WTF, Sony? :lol

Heck, they even misspelled Blu-ray! :lol
Can't blame them, most likely they are translated by Hong Kong people and their command of english are not that good. The asia copy of Heavenly Sword is even worst, they put Lord of the Rings as LOAD OF THE RINGS:lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
HomerSimpson-Man said:
So the game supports HD audio?

I'm jealous at all you bastards that have such a set-up, I just got plain old vanilla 5.1 here.
wait. what do you need for hd audio?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MGS fans need this game. If you're against more story than I feel sorry for you. Go with your gut. I know I want as much story as I can get.

Smokey Bones said:
Played about 4 hours of the game and just got to ACT II, which is where I feel the game REALLY starts(ACT I we've seen since forever).

I will say that I was fucking disoriented when the game started, and MGS is my favorite gaming series. I was actually frustrated but obviously stuck with it. Shit going on all around you..it's a war just like we've seen in trailers. Simply because of the nature of the events going on around you, you'll probably want to play it like an action game rather than stealth. it took me a good second to get used to the controls, and to know how to read all the info the game has on it's UI.

And then...it just clicked. I was sneaking around just like the old games and it is much more intense when the PMC's and the militia are going crazy all around you. It's different seeing someone else playing than when YOU actually get to play. I'm jealous of those with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound systems, this game is gonna rock your house.

So many weapons, so many different ways to approach any given situation it is amazing. After I got the hang of things, I used my tranquilizer gun exclusively for the rest of ACT I while racking up crazy amounts of Drebin points to save for later on. Awesome Awesome Awesome.

It's good to have the king back.

I actually played 2 hours of the game last night and yeah, it was really disorienting during my partial playthrough of Act 1, I had most of the mechanics down, but I was still trying to get used to the map and the controls. After dying for the second time (due to poor management on my part), I decided to quit and play around in the Virtual Mission (where I was also listening to the in-game iPod) and the controls just started clicking for me. During my second playthrough, I managed to get to where I was the first time around, but this time with a much better understanding of my abilities.

I pre-ordered the LE from Ebgames (I'm in Europe) so I'll probably get the game next week :(
I'm so tempted to go and pick up a copy in the stores tomorrow :(

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
teh_J0kerer said:
Man, I so want to use this game as my reason to finally get a PS3.

The gameplay itself sounds fun, but I think the cutscenes are going to drive me nuts.

When I played MGS3, I was playing the first level, and I was just yelling at the screen "godamn, shut the fuck up already. oh my god youre not finished?? Its my turn!!!"

And then I just stopped playing.

Fuck, I dont think this is going to work for me... can anyone comment on how ridiculous the cutscenes actually are?
well since youre posting here i guess you want convincing?

BUY IT

Smokey Bones said:
So many weapons, so many different ways to approach any given situation it is amazing. After I got the hang of things, I used my tranquilizer gun exclusively for the rest of ACT I while racking up crazy amounts of Drebin points to save for later on. Awesome Awesome Awesome.
Thanks for your impressions Smokey Bones! Can't wait to put my finger on it.

BeeDog

One question before I go on, how do I hold up enemy soldiers? When I approach them with my weapon drawn, Snake doesn't say "freeze" or whatever. As said, the controls are a bit overwhelming at the beginning.

-COOLIO- said:
oh noes it has online so lets dock points?

besides, mgo is friggen AWESOME.

We agree thats its awesome but I can find you a bunch of people that don't like it, that I guess don't get it.

Its a companion piece to the main game, thats how it should be viewed as a bonus more than anything. An awesome bonus that is better than most regular games. :D

Raist

Banned
So I'm back from the store where I preordered my copy, the guys were unboxing MGS4 copies and didn't want to give me one. "It's out tomorrow, come back then lulz"

FUCK ><

Mets39

Raist said:
So I'm back from the store where I preordered my copy, the guys were unboxing MGS4 copies and didn't want to give me one. "It's out tomorrow, come back then lulz"

FUCK ><

Score game ?

Frog

teh_J0kerer said:

:lol If you hate them that much, just skip them.

-COOLIO- said:
wait. what do you need for hd audio?

A receiver that takes in at least LPCM 5.1, the PS3 decodes the rest whether it is DTSHD or Dolby True HD so you don't have worry about getting a receiver that decodes them, which are much more expensive. The PS3 is such a sweet Blu-ray player like that.

I've been eying a new A/C receiver myself, but I'm unfortunately short on cash lately.

Smokey

BeeDog said:
One question before I go on, how do I hold up enemy soldiers? When I approach them with my weapon drawn, Snake doesn't say "freeze" or whatever. As said, the controls are a bit overwhelming at the beginning.

Crouch behind them, hold R1 and they will put their hands up.

You can also hold R1, then press L1 to use them as a human shield.

Zeke

damn it I wish the GS where I reserved at was doing a midnight launch. They did one for mariokart why the hell wouldn't you do one for a game this big? Damn you GS!!!

nextwish said:

That is awesome thanks for finding that man.
I am actually talking about the shot with the Art of Snake touching the solid eye on the white background.
Thanks a lot though I was actually looking for this as well.

Zeke said:
damn it I wish the GS where I reserved at was doing a midnight launch. They did one for mariokart why the hell wouldn't you do one for a game this big? Damn you GS!!!

I actually called mine up today and tried to make them feel bad for not doing one...I probably just made myself look like a royal douche...But damn im just so mad.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
HomerSimpson-Man said:
A receiver that takes in at least LPCM 5.1, the PS3 decodes the rest whether it is DTSHD or Dolby True HD so you don't have worry about getting a receiver that decodes them, which are much more expensive. The PS3 is such a sweet Blu-ray player like that.

I've been eying a new A/C receiver myself, but I'm unfortunately short on cash lately.
i just googled my speakers and it seems like they take care of that :D

BHAUAHUAH i dont have an hdtv but at least i have hd audio :D

-COOLIO- said:
i just googled my speakers and it seems like they take care of that :D

BHAUAHUAH i dont have an hdtv but at least i have hd audio :D

Well that's just spanktacular.

Enjoy MGS4 in full ear jizzing HD surround sound!

Remember though, you need a HDMI cable to your receiver to use it.

Sorry guys I am doing such a terrible job explaining which one I am referring too but this is the shot I want.

2r7mwyo.jpg

dabookerman said:
Here you go
Snake White Background.

Will post hi res cover art in a sec

Wow..Thats a great shot not the one I wanted but its great thank you Dabookerman!

Mudo

Hey I have a quick question and figured this is the best thread to put it in. I played and beat MGS1, watched someone play all of 2, and have 3 (Subsistence) but have not played it more then about 2 hours. Do I need to play 3 before this? Can I just watch the GT Retro on the series?

I'm thinking about getting MGS4 after work but am not sure if I really need to play/should play 3 instead of watching a clip about its story?

f@luS

More than a member.
wow, so far 5hours in the game. its...humpf. No words. Kojima am god, or maybe im a kojima's fanboy but its so good...wow

Mudo said:
Hey I have a quick question and figured this is the best thread to put it in. I played and beat MGS1, watched someone play all of 2, and have 3 (Subsistence) but have not played it more then about 2 hours. Do I need to play 3 before this? Can I just watch the GT Retro on the series?

I'm thinking about getting MGS4 after work but am not sure if I really need to play/should play 3 instead of watching a clip about its story?

You could watch the retro it does a good job explaining stuff by my god 3 is just so awesome you should try and find the time to play it.

gogogow said:

YOU SIR ARE MY HERO!
Thanks.

Euphor!a

Banned
This might be quite off-topic but I guess it relates to MGS4 sort of so here goes...

I picked up a JVC SU-DH1 to go with my Sennheiser 280HD Pro almost solely for this game and when going through the audio settings I was not sure which options to enable and disable, it says choosing the incorrect options may damage your speakers. So for this type of setup which audio options are the correct ones?

Edit: If it wasn't clear I'm talking about audio settings in the PS3 audio configuration.

Az

HomerSimpson-Man said:

wow I didn't know that, and I do have 5.1... another reason for MGS4 (I am writing up reasons to show my wife so she doesn't bitch at me for getting the game:D )

this may sound kinda stupid, but I haven't kept up with the online portion of the game. I thought MGO was supposed to be a standalone retail game. Did I get lost somewhere?

Frog

Euphor!a said:
This might be quite off-topic but I guess it relates to MGS4 sort of so here goes...

I picked up a JVC SU-DH1 to go with my Sennheiser 280HD Pro almost solely for this game and when going through the audio settings I was not sure which options to enable and disable, it says choosing the incorrect options may damage your speakers. So for this type of setup which audio options are the correct ones?

Edit: If it wasn't clear I'm talking about audio settings in the PS3 audio configuration.

Same thing here. I noticed it only gives that message when you check PCM 88.2 or PCM 176.4 KHz, so I checked everything except those two. Not sure if it's okay to check them.

Imm0rt4l

MortalMonkey said:
this may sound kinda stupid, but I haven't kept up with the online portion of the game. I thought MGO was supposed to be a standalone retail game. Did I get lost somewhere?
starter pack comes with mgs4, full game/expansion available in the fall.

Cronen

Nah, UK release is tomorrow. Just seems that some websites (Shopto and Play.com) have been doing next day delivery, when they posted the game yesterday.

SamuraiX-

w00t!

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots has officially been released in all of the following regions:

Kiritimati, Anadyr, Kamchatka, Rawaki, Nukualofa, Chatham Island, Funafuti, Suva, Wellington, Auckland, Tarawa, Christchurch, Majuro, Yaren, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Hovd, Medan, Bangkok, Vientiane, Khon Kaen, Palembang, Phnom Penh, The Settlement, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Surakarta, Malang, Surabaya, Lhasa, Krasnoyarsk, Kuala Lumpur, Kunming, Singapore, Lanchow, Chengdu, Chongqing, Guiyang, Ulaanbaatar, Sian, Baotou, Luoyang, Taiyuan, Changsha, Canton, Macau, Zhengzhou, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Kowloon, Wuhan, Shijiazhuang, Choibalsan, Bandar Seri Begawan, Singaraja, Denpasar, Perth, Nanchang, Mataram, Beijing, Balikpapan, Jinan, Tianjin, Zibo, Tangshan, Raba, Foochow, Hangzhou, Tsingtao, Kaohsiung, Manila, Jinzhou, Shanghai, Dalian, Taipei, Endeh, Anshan, Kupang, Fushun, Cebu City, Qiqihar, Manado, Changchun, Jilin, Harbin, Dili, Pyongyang, Incheon, Seoul, Ternate, Ambon, Taegu, Pusan, Fukuoka, Kitakyushu, Hiroshima, Okayama, Koror, Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Tokyo, Jayapura, Sendai, Sapporo, Darwin, Adelaide, Guam, Melbourne, Saipan, Port Moresby, Hobart, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Lord Howe Island, Vladivostok, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Palikir, Honiara, Noumea, Port Via, and Kingston (Au)!

Congratulations, you lucky sons of bitches. :D

Euphor!a said:

The SU-DH1 doesn't support 5.1 LPCM as far as I know so just select the Dolby Digital and DTS settings and leave the PCM boxes unchecked.

grandyu

Wollan said:
'Dolby True HD'

YES YESS DTHD *N64_kid.gif

anyone have more pictures of the US LE? that's the one i'm getting, but so far i like the packaging of the JAP and Asia much better, especially the outer casing (they somehow made the CG close up look good)

also i'd like to see the inside/backside of the JAP ver if anyone has it, thanks!

i may pick up the asian or jap version later.. since i'll be heading over in a week

KZObsessed

Ok so I just stopped playing to watch the football so thought I'd post a few brief impressions. Spoiler free :p

Firstly the Limited Edition packaging. It's really cool, looks great on my shelf, I'm glad I bought it BUT, it does feel rather cheep. Inside the main case theres a "mirror silver" box which contains the game and bonus disc which is very cheep looking. I wish it was a tin case or something. I think the Japanese Limited Edition is the best one, they even got a steelbook for the bonus disc! I'm gonna try and get it on ebay :p

Now the game! I'm about 4 hours in, still on Act 1. Just want to say that the menu is the greatest menu of all time. The first part of the first level was amazing. Jaw dropping. From that moment, it was like "wow, I've never played a stealth game like this!" The "stealth on the battlefield" concept is really well implemented. It does feel like an epic war is going on around you and you can choose whether to get involved or sneak through it. Been a good balance of the two from me so far. Stealth has never been so adrenaline pumping.

It did take me a little while to get used to the controls, I havn't played a MGS game in a while, and there are extra moves now of course. I still have a little trouble with the CQC, but that's usually just me messing up. The MKII's stun attack is a little unresponsive I think, but if it wasn't it would probably be too effective, so it's probably just for balance.

So far tho, I'm loving it, everything I expected. Just been pure fun. The shooting is enjoyable, the A.I. is good. Visuals are amazing bar a few textures. Everything is great, and going off everyone else's impressions, it's only getting warmed up :lol

Vito

Banned
My EU LE is coming in tomorrow..... and damn you people.. now I'll be ordering the JP LE as well.

I know people who preordered in US kept posting some Metal Gear Saga dvd pics, how do we in EU get one of these? Was there such a bonus with the jp. game? Sorry if it was mentioned somewhere in the thread already and I missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom