• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok spoiler news.

Don't go looking for the LE guide on Play Asia, more specifically, don't look at the pics, as the one pic where they show a peek at the guide, they show a picture of the final act. Well done -_-.

Also, over at Zavvis midnight launch, Dog tags are meant to be in the goody bag, and the competition involves the possibility of winning signed "Paintings". There are only 5 in the world. The thing is, I'm not sure about it being Paintings. In a way, I hope it isnt a painting o_o, but it would sound more realistic if it was High quality print signed by Kojima.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
FFObsessed said:
Ok so I just stopped playing to watch the football so thought I'd post a few brief impressions. Spoiler free :p

Firstly the Limited Edition packaging. It's really cool, looks great on my shelf, I'm glad I bought it BUT, it does feel rather cheep. Inside the main case theres a "mirror silver" box which contains the game and bonus disc which is very cheep looking. I wish it was a tin case or something. I think the Japanese Limited Edition is the best one, they even got a steelbook for the bonus disc! I'm gonna try and get it on ebay :p

Now the game! I'm about 4 hours in, still on Act 1. Just want to say that the menu is the greatest menu of all time. The first part of the first level was amazing. Jaw dropping. From that moment, it was like "wow, I've never played a stealth game like this!" The "stealth on the battlefield" concept is really well implemented. It does feel like an epic war is going on around you and you can choose whether to get involved or sneak through it. Been a good balance of the two from me so far. Stealth has never been so adrenaline pumping.

It did take me a little while to get used to the controls, I havn't played a MGS game in a while, and there are extra moves now of course. I still have a little trouble with the CQC, but that's usually just me messing up. The MKII's stun attack is a little unresponsive I think, but if it wasn't it would probably be too effective, so it's probably just for balance.

So far tho, I'm loving it, everything I expected. Just been pure fun. The shooting is enjoyable, the A.I. is good. Visuals are amazing bar a few textures. Everything is great, and going off everyone else's impressions, it's only getting warmed up :lol

Very nice impression indeed, tomorrow dammit TOMORROW!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pics of GS artbook (stolen from ebay)

metal05.jpg

metal06.jpg

metal07.jpg

metal08.jpg

metal09.jpg

KZObsessed

dabookerman said:
When you have some camo on, shake the controller to see what happens :3

I just discovered that towards the end. :p Oh and you only need to flick it to the side, like how the Sixaxis is used for re-loading in some games. Works during cut-scenes too. Very cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
god, I'm never going to find replies to this in the thread, but I'll ask anyway:

Do I need to have played MGS3 to enjoy this? I played 1 and 2, but skipped 3. and now I have a Japanese PS3 so would need an Asian version of MGS3 assuming its available with english language

mrklaw said:
god, I'm never going to find replies to this in the thread, but I'll ask anyway:

Do I need to have played MGS3 to enjoy this? I played 1 and 2, but skipped 3. and now I have a Japanese PS3 so would need an Asian version of MGS3 assuming its available with english language

Didn't I answer your question?
No you dont need to play it but being one of the best in the series so far I recommend you try it out when you have a chance.

Watch the GT Retrospective 4.

mrklaw said:

yes.. or you can watch the gametrailers retrospective on MGS3.. its a good quick fix since the game comes out tommorrow

Edit: beat by the grandmaster himself

Gen-X

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Didn't I answer your question?
No you dont need to play it but being one of the best in the series so far I recommend you try it out when you have a chance.

Watch the GT Retrospective 4.
Let's put it this way I took a sneak peek at the MGS4 guide and you def. have to play or understand MGS3 for MGS4.

I haven't been this excited for a game in a while. Not since FFVII, Zelda OOT, and SMB3!

Plus I can't stop thinking about Ryan's secret surprise! WTF is it! *bangs head on floor repeatedly*

elbkhm

Anybody know if in Canada, Wal-Mart will be getting the LE? If so, I might just go pick it up tonight, rather than wait for tomorrow at EB.

Gen-X said:
Let's put it this way I took a sneak peek at the MGS4 guide and you def. have to play or understand MGS3 for MGS4.

What about Portable Ops? I've already played MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2 and MGS3, but not Portable Ops. I'm currently four hours into it, and I know I won't finish it before MGS4 comes out.

Choke on the Magic said:
Plus I can't stop thinking about Ryan's secret surprise! WTF is it! *bangs head on floor repeatedly*

Is it this?

Taken from another forum's weekly Japanese mag news thread said:
From June 19, MGS4 Database will be released on PSN.
Will include dictionary, info about characters, history etc.
Free.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Was at Target and saw a couple of bundles. Went to go buy one, but the register put an end to that dream rather quickly. Argh!

Any idea how many Wal-Mart, on average, will be getting?

distantmantra said:
Is it this?

:eek: Maybe that sounds glorious. Sounded like he said what ever it was would be made available on release day. Something on PSN since it's a Thursday. That would be cool if that were available on the 12th instead of the 19th.

tuco11

Not sure if this was asked but what is the word on the gameplay length?

Without skiping cutscenes :
With skipping cutscenes:

thanks.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Is there a wallpaper of that THEATRICAL poster?

ID KILL to get it in 1920x1080, but smaller is good anyway, does it exist?

Euphor!a

Banned
That MGS database sounds pretty lame... I mean you can pretty much find that info on any site even remotely dedicated to MGS. Hell, there is probably more information in the first few posts of this topic.

Sallokin

A little over 12 hours to go for me. I'm going to be taking a long ass nap after work. BTW this thread exploded over night. When I refreshed this morning you had added about 10 full pages.

Lince

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Shit. There is a truckers strike in Spain. The game might be delayed a week. That fucking SUCKS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAagh.

Ok, I'm leaving.

"might"? you're in for a serious disappointment

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition in my local video game store, like, 5 months ago. Today I went to them and asked if I was guaranteed an LE, they told me they only got TWO copies of it and I'm not going to get one on release.

Hahahahha, fuck you Sweden. And fuck you Game. And fuck you Limited Edition.

Fuck this shit, who the hell cares about that absolutely ridiculous LE anyway? Give me the regular edition, I don't want to spend $120 on crap anyway.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Stupid game boner....

I don;t even like MGS, but I do want a 80GB PS3. I might be at the hidden Wal-Mart near me and get the bundle.

domlolz

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Shit. There is a truckers strike in Spain. The game might be delayed a week. That fucking SUCKS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAagh.

Ok, I'm leaving.

Organise a game smuggling ring across one of the borders,Portugal?France?

Gen-X

Banned
Seiken said:

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition in my local video game store, like, 5 months ago. Today I went to them and asked if I was guaranteed an LE, they told me they only got TWO copies of it and I'm not going to get one on release.

Fuck this shit, who the hell cares about that absolutely ridiculous LE anyway? Give me the regular edition, I don't want to spend $120 on crap anyway.
lookingbehindthedoorjn3li9.gif

gogogow

Can't believe Europe isn't getting a "regular" limited edition (tin box + bluray) of MGS4, whereas the US and JP do get one.
We do get the ultra limited edition which you can only find on ebay for 250 euros........... :(

And the series sells the best in Europe :(

But I'll be getting the US and JP limited edition plus the standard PAL version.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Seiken said:

Damn that fucking sucks ass, you should of upper cutted the fool that gave you that info.

Tiduz said:
Is there a wallpaper of that THEATRICAL poster?

ID KILL to get it in 1920x1080, but smaller is good anyway, does it exist?

I am trying so hard to get assets to make it but its being a bitch might have to wait till after the game comes out.

Midas

Seiken said:

Ever tried a good store, say like Webhallen or Gameshop? Just got a notice that my copy is ready for pick up.

Spiegel

J. M. Romeo said:

Ok, I'm leaving.

I wanted PS3+MGS4 tomorrow but it seems that it's going to be PS3+Prologue tomorrow and MGS4 next week :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Midas said:
Ever tried a good store, say like Webhallen or Gameshop? Just got a notice that my copy is ready for pick up.
I don't order new games from the web. Also, Game is the only video game store in Örebro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom