• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
bishopcruz said:
How does everyone feel the hype on this one is going to go? Will it be like MGS1 and continue on as one of the greatest games of all time, or like MGS2, pretty awesome, but flawed?

I'm going with the flawed mainly because there is just so very little gameplay towards the end of the game
Shadow Moses has some awesome stuff, but it felt short, Eastern Europe had practically NO gameplay, and Act 5 was even shorter than 4 it felt.

So far I found it as a game that started off REALLY well, and kinda petered out gameplay wise near the end. Cinematically, Kojima does some AMAZING things. Holy crap at some of the cinematics!

I just wish more of the game was like the early acts.

Hmmm, well I'll get back to you after I complete the last 2 acts. So far so good for me. I'm too busy watching Euro 2008 now though :p

Y2Kev said:
I don't understand what they were talking about.
I was puzzled too, then I just assumed they meant the
small robot sentries that are lightly peppered in a few spots of Shadow Moses. Which I found strange because the boss fight in the snow field was essentially an enhanced version of The End and his alt battle from 3. Really fun.

Ephemeris

Last set of photos:

Ephemeris said:
From Uniqlo:

Big Boss was about 5 people behind me. Kojima's face lit up when he met him.
n4i0j7.jpg

Another Shot
f2igkh.jpg

Took a pic with him.
2j44m8i.jpg

Gaffer Theta11. Looking smug after another Mario Kart win. I'm certain at this point that cheats were involved. :lol
xn6gcj.jpg

Picture of the Line behind me.
sw6xp4.jpg

We're finally inside the store; less than 5 people away from getting our stuff signed.
fa7fhd.jpg

After shaking my hand (Side-effect: A feeling of immense fertility.) He proceeds to do this:
v7xztj.jpg

Theta11 aka Fangirl
2mxpdao.jpg

Big Boss meets.. Biggest Boss?
ic000y.jpg

The Line outside after we left.
330h2r9.jpg

The guys from last night were there too
syknll.jpg

Yeah, went back inside for this last one. He was a really good sport about the whole thing.
eg8s4i.jpg

Personally, the wait outside was worse than Virgin. Once you were inside however, it was much more smooth and efficient. That's all folks!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MickeyKnox said:
I was puzzled too, then I just assumed they meant the
small robot sentries that are lightly peppered in a few spots of Shadow Moses. Which I found strange because the boss fight in the snow field was essentially an enhanced version of The End and his alt battle from 3. Really fun.
That's what I thought they meant too.

The
Crying Wolf
boss battle was so sweet. Loved
tracking her downwind.

And there are so many possibilities....sniper rifles, RPGs, claymores, tranqs.

dabookerman said:
There's tons of gameplay, it all goes down to how you want to approach it. That's all.

Really? Because
Act 3 had a really cool opening, but then it became a rail shooter (About an hour after the last rail shooting segment.) Then Shadow Moses was pretty much dodging unmanned vehicles (punctuated by a cool boss fight) and while it was deliberately trying for an MGS1 feel (which I can dig), it wasn't incredibly compelling (Mini-geckos SUCK!!) Then act 5 opened well, but was REALLY short (or at least felt that way.)

The boss fights were all cool, though IMO no MGS has had better boss fights than part 1. But they were probably my favorite parts, especially Wolf.

Edit: Fixed, gah SO VERY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dracos

Played all night. I can easily say this is one of the best games ever made. Also, so far as much of a movie as MGS seems to be, I think the gameplay in this one is the best of the series. I'm enjoying playing as much as watching.

Ok, I managed to finally upload a working link version of the video demonstrating the
Stealth camo and the Tanegashima
Enjoy!

Please, once again, ignore my awful awful commentary.

This has some pretty amazing results.

Ashhong

g35twinturbo said:
OMG

did anyone pay attention to
Octocons Wallpaper in Mission briefing of Act 2? ZOE!

i thought i saw policenauts? maybe that was later

did anybody figure out what that sprite was on one of the other computers? green goggles and a tail...

how did u get that dabooker?

AmMortal

Banned
Ashhong said:
i thought i saw policenauts? maybe that was later

did anybody figure out what that sprite was on one of the other computers? green goggles and a tail...

There are two computers.

dabookerman:

how are you getting those BB pictures? Is that some kind of bonus after you beat the game?

I apologize if I missed a previous explanation in this colossal thread. :lol

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Y2Kev said:
I don't understand what they were talking about.
I guess this episode proves that when you have to mince around topics, it's almost not worth having the conversation. We were referring to
the activation of Guns of the Patriots, at which point everything in the game becomes a matter of blowing up or evading automated drones and FROGs. All of us feel that the loss of the rival combat factions makes the game's second half far less interesting than the first

Xater

g35twinturbo said:
OMG

did anyone pay attention to
Octocons Wallpaper in Mission briefing of Act 2? ZOE!

It's actually ZOE2 and on the other monitor is a Policenauts one. So far I have not seen a Snatcher reference.

Y2Kev

ToastyFrog said:
I guess this episode proves that when you have to mince around topics, it's almost not worth having the conversation. We were referring to
the activation of Guns of the Patriots, at which point everything in the game becomes a matter of blowing up or evading automated drones and FROGs. All of us feel that the loss of the rival combat factions makes the game's second half far less interesting than the first
Ah, I got you. But that
doesn't seem so much like a result of the activation of the Guns of the Patriots as much as it does a consequence of where the last two acts take you. It seems like that would have been the case regardless of whether or not GotP was activated.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Came up for a breath of air after finishing Act 2 to say that this is already one of my all time favorite games. Ever.

Without a doubt the best game this gen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
2 more questions about the LE:

where is the chapter of the digital novel that i kept hearing about? i looked on the blu ray, is it in the game itself?

also, the LOGAN section of the blu ray has the opening show clips, but are the PMC commercials not on there? i'd kinda like to have those avalable too.

do those tv show clips at the beginnning just randomize when you start a new game, or do they show up all throughout the game?

traveler

Not Wario
ToastyFrog said:

Have you guys ever thought about going back after a few weeks and doing a spoiler filled, no holds barred debate about a game? (outside the GOTY stuff at the end of the year) This week's GFW got me thinking about the subject and it really seems like MGS4, moreso than many other games, would benefit from critical reflection and debate once we're past the fear of spoilers.

Jim

Seeing them side-by-side on the first page, this thread is going to zip right by the Official GTA4 thread by the end of the weekend methinks.

Y2Kev

Jim said:
Seeing them side-by-side on the first page, this thread is going to zip right by the Official GTA4 thread by the end of the weekend methinks.
Good, that game is a total shitpile.

*laughs*

ToastyFrog said:
Totally disagree personally.
I think if they had not changed that aspect later in the game, it would have worn itself out by then. The greatest thing about the game to me is that the gameplay is so varied and they changed it up constantly as it progressed.

Ashhong said:
Stealth camo = complete the game without getting a single alert.

TheJollyCorner said:
dabookerman:

how are you getting those BB pictures? Is that some kind of bonus after you beat the game?

I apologize if I missed a previous explanation in this colossal thread. :lol

When you fight them in human form, dont attack them, about 4 or so minutes later it moves to a white room. Whip out the cam, and they start doing poses. It's like the camera mode from integral, awesome stuff ;p

moai

so, the ps3 80gb mgs4 bundle goes for around 800 usd here. is it really difficult to get in the Us? because that's the reason they gave for this price.

Y2Kev said:
That's what I thought they meant too.

The
Crying Wolf
boss battle was so sweet. Loved
tracking her downwind.

And there are so many possibilities....sniper rifles, RPGs, claymores, tranqs.
Did the whole thing with my tranq pistol.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Xater said:
It's actually ZOE2 and on the other monitor is a Policenauts one. So far I have not seen a Snatcher reference.

yeah ZOE2 cover has the guy (cant remember his name)
thats in the wallpaper.
I didn't even notice the policnauts

Y2Kev said:
Ah, I got you. But that
doesn't seem so much like a result of the activation of the Guns of the Patriots as much as it does a consequence of where the last two acts take you. It seems like that would have been the case regardless of whether or not GotP was activated.

It COULD have been done,
you could have had a war between the two rival Patriot factions that could have populated the later stages, have Snake trying to shut down GW while Ocelot and Zero's forces are fighting on Outer Haven. Hell, something similar could have gone on on Shadow Moses as well.
As it is there was very little happening.

I know that some say that the change in gameplay throughout is good. I agree to a point. I LOVED the
REX fights, the tailing of the resistance guy, and the rail shooting.
The problem was the best gameplay, the very interesting meat of the game is
gone after Act 2,
and it isn't replaced by anything NEARLY as compelling. It basically becomes MGS1 again for all intents and purposes.

Doc Evils

Jim said:

One is a average HD remake, the other is a true Next Gen game that has risen the bar and become the game of forever.

Man, looking back at the ending, the track :
Father and Son
Is pretty fucking amazing. Although Guns of the Patriots is also an amazing track, just awesome build up music.

I LOVE THIS GAME SO FUCKING MUCH :_;

When I come back from holiday, RAH Raiden is MINE >:x

I hear they are doing a recall on them, because the visors were broken, more time to save up I guess. I also need Old Snake. Gahh so expensive :_;;;;

Sullen

moai said:
so, the ps3 80gb mgs4 bundle goes for around 800 usd here. is it really difficult to get in the Us? because that's the reason they gave for this price.

Not sure, I asked about this a few pages ago and got no answer, so I'm not sure anyone else around here knows either. Might be limited, might not be. =/

Y2Kev

bishopcruz said:
It COULD have been done,
you could have had a war between the two rival Patriot factions that could have populated the later stages, have Snake trying to shut down GW while Ocelot and Zero's forces are fighting on Outer Haven. Hell, something similar could have gone on on Shadow Moses as well.
As it is there was very little happening.

I know that some say that the change in gameplay throughout is good. I agree to a point. I LOVED the
REX fights, the tailing of the resistance guy, and the rail shooting.
The problem was the best gameplay, the very interesting meat of the game is
gone after Act 2,
and it isn't replaced by anything NEARLY as compelling. It basically becomes MGS1 again for all intents and purposes.

The coolest part about Shadow Moses was that it was completely abandoned. And how would you get a massive army aboard Haven? It was nearly impossible for Snake and co to get on! Akiba almost didn't make it!

Cartman86

Banned
Deepblue said:
Sorry, but no one game is worth that much money. It's always wise to wait for a system to develop a library of games you want to play before making the plunge.

If there is a game that I really want to play why should I wait? If you really want to play it then play it.

g35twinturbo said:
yeah ZOE2 cover has the guy (cant remember his name)
thats in the wallpaper.
I didn't even notice the policnauts

not a spoiler but
there are Lunar knight sprits that move around hal desktop

Ashhong

dabookerman said:
Stealth camo = complete the game without getting a single alert.

When you fight them in human form, dont attack them, about 4 or so minutes later it moves to a white room. Whip out the cam, and they start doing poses. It's like the camera mode from integral, awesome stuff ;p

how the fuckkkkkk did you manage that?!
the stealthcamo
man thats crazy.

THANK YOU SHINZ. lunar knights. nobody was answering that i could see =/

Ashhong said:
how the fuckkkkkk did you manage that?!
the stealthcamo
man thats crazy.

THANK YOU SHINZ. lunar knights. nobody was answering that i could see =/

I would of got the
Bandana (infinite ammo) if it hadnt been for that silly 1 kill during Act 3s chase scene :(, But i figure I will get that once I get Big Boss rank. That's my personal holy grail. I will have to attempt that when I come back from holiday

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Xater said:

Dr. Madnar!

Of course, that could just as easily be a Solid Snake: MG2 reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom