• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouta said:
Damn, Tranq winning
Raging Raven
on Hard is a pain in the butt. Took me forever with just the pistol. :lol

I probably shouldn't try for these my first time through. =x
The
Tranq Sniper Rifle is perfect for that, but I had to wait until my second time for the points. The first time I just used RPG's

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Act 5 Spoilage:

im such a noob, i landed on outer haven then i check in on drebin and all the prices are cut.so i go thru and stock out my weapons get the add ons and all that. i go to start fighting and i realize i didnt buy any ammo.....durr im quite retarded.

Duderz

Banned
Klone.K said:
But seriously guys, does it get any better? If I wanted to play most of the time I wouldn't be playing the MGS series.

I'm interested in the storyline, so does it start picking up later on? Right now the story is being overshadowed by the gameplay though Drebin and Snakes short conversation inside the tank was good and I want more like that.

Jesus H. Christ.

dralla

Shouta said:
Damn, Tranq winning
Raging Raven
on Hard is a pain in the butt. Took me forever with just the pistol. :lol

I probably shouldn't try for these my first time through. =x

use the tranq sniper

Klone.K said:
But seriously guys, does it get any better? If I wanted to play most of the time I wouldn't be playing the MGS series.

I'm interested in the storyline, so does it start picking up later on? Right now the story is being overshadowed by the gameplay though Drebin and Snakes short conversation inside the tank was good and I want more like that.

You are insane. But yes lots and lots and lots and lots of story is coming. You freak. :p

Acid08

Banned
Act 2:

I think I just fucked myself over something awful. Naomi was just taken away and now I'm assuming I have to fight Laughing Octopus soon plus all these Frogs. The problem is I'm all out of every kind of recovery item. This is going to be hard.

Btw, this game is fucking incredible. I was just as hyped for MGS4 as GTA4 and GTA ended up being such a disappointment. MGS4 has fully lived up, and graphics wise, surpassed my expectation. After Act 1 the graphics pick up and look incredible.

Costanza

Banned
Nobody answered this earlier:

(ending spoilers)

How did Naomi tell Big Boss about Snake not being contagious when BB was in a coma until Naomi was already dead?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Fact or Fiction:

The
Split Screen Long Walk of Death
in Act 5 is one of your favorite gaming moments, ever. We shall call it SSLWD from now on.

Fact.

Oh and Costanza, maybe a video?

Nikorasu

EvilMario said:
From Dundas Square in Toronto a week ago. It's a shame I won't be playing MGS4 for a while, and I just replayed Snaker Eater.

2571704896_a432da6f0f.jpg

:lol

djkimothy

Acid08 said:
Act 2:

I think I just fucked myself over something awful. Naomi was just taken away and now I'm assuming I have to fight Laughing Octopus soon plus all these Frogs. The problem is I'm all out of every kind of recovery item. This is going to be hard.

Btw, this game is fucking incredible. I was just as hyped for MGS4 as GTA4 and GTA ended up being such a disappointment. MGS4 has fully lived up, and graphics wise, surpassed my expectation. After Act 1 the graphics pick up and look incredible.

if it's ammo you need just call up drebin. There are energy replenishing items around, though you have to find them, they're obvious with the solid eye.

Costanza said:

(ending spoilers)

How did Naomi tell Big Boss about Snake not being contagious when BB was in a coma until Naomi was already dead?

Well, Big Mama revived Big Boss before Act 3 happened, Naomi at the end of Act 4, so sometime between Beginning of Act 3 and End of Act 4 makes sense

Kweh

I've just started, but looking at the Gamespot review and the second image down, I can't help notice that
Snake looks young and has black hair.
Is that a spoiler?

Costanza

Banned
chaoticprout said:
Well, Big Mama revived Big Boss before Act 3 happened, Naomi at the end of Act 4, so sometime between Beginning of Act 3 and End of Act 4 makes sense
Um, the
AI being destroyed was what woke him up, and that didn't happen until the end of the game. EVA had Solidus's corpse.
. Unless I just misunderstood what happened.

Teknoman

Hey guys:

156xp4o.jpg

(Scanned it so that clear part came out blurry)

Im letting it charge now...really hope those GAF impressions from the other topic were right (all were positive and used in other games such as COD4 or tested on phones as well). But do I REALLY have to let it charge for 8 hours?

How do you wear it correctly? Just slip it on your ear? The headset feels sturdy but really light on your ear.

I just beat the game after playing 22 hours straight. This was, by far, the most intense gaming experience I've ever had since Snake Eater (which i also beat in one straight session).

Once again, Metal Gear Solid raises the bar even higher.

Don't listen to those who try to be over-critical of this game.

comrade

djkimothy said:
OMFG, I haven't been using much CQC other than the body drop. I've been playing this game all wrong. :lol

And wow at the 7 options after holding a guy using R1.
I'm playing this game like a shooter and it's still so fucking fun. I bought 20 silencers for my M4 w/ Grip & red dot. 20 silencers for the M14 Sniper and I'm just dropping everyone on the map while laying down in the grass.:lol Having such a blast.

Dave1988 said:
I,too, got eagle. What was your alert/kill count? Mine was 90 alerts and 300 kills.

I don't remember all that and my PS3 is getting some rest right now.

One thing did happen while I was playing that blew my mind. Basically,
in Act 2 I was killing a bunch of enemies, shot down a helicopter, and caused all sorts of shit to happen. Then Snake randomly stops and throws up as you hear Liquid saying "YOU ENJOY ALL THE KILLING! THATS WHY!". Amazing.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Gonna spoiler this just to be safe, it's regarding no kill/alert runs.

So does anyone have a reliable set of "rules" for no death/alert runs? The latter is cautions are ok, alerts are not, I'm fairly certain, but what of kills? What's ok? As of right now I'm guessing anything that gives you "points" is fair game, but what about chase scenes, or indirect kills (like shooting a guy off a moving vehicle). Are are the Beauties ok to kill Phase 1 with anything, and then just tranq their out of armor phase? Anything else to be aware of?

Shapingo

Beauty and the Beast battles

I didn't know I was supposed to beat the girls after their armor was off without killing them. I just shot laughing octopus to death, but you are able to just wear down their physce gauges and they just collapse in exhaustion. I let them grab me, then just shook them off, then pressed triangle and it flips them; do it 4 times and they give up; even with more than half their life left. You get different cut scenes as well.

I wonder if doing this affects the game in anyway?

jvalioli

God, I'm so tired. I got home with my game at 10:30 AM on Thursday. During one of the Act installs I microwaved myself lunch. After 12 hours or so I stopped playing for an hour and a half. Then I played until 6:30 AM today.

But what a masterpiece of a game!

____

Mifune said:
Yeah, the one with Hayter is completely bizarre and awesome.

lol seriously...

i'm on my second playthru now...and i didn't know you could change the channel

so now i'm watching them all

but they're so out-there :lol

Lebron

Shapingo said:
Beauty and the Beast battles

I didn't know I was supposed to beat the girls after their armor was off without killing them. I just shot laughing octopus to death, but you are able to just wear down their physce gauges and they just collapse in exhaustion. I let them grab me, then just shook them off, then pressed triangle and it flips them; do it 4 times and they give up; even with more than half their life left. You get different cut scenes as well.

I wonder if doing this affects the game in anyway?
Seriously? Well damn, I shot her to death as well:lol

I wonder what the outcome would have been if I kept her alive, hopefully nothing real major?

mackaveli

just finished the game and absolutely loved it, but i was kind of disappointed with the length.

I played on solid normal or the 3rd option and beat the game in 16hrs. I read earlier that the game was 20-25 hrs so when i was nearing the end i was always hoping there would be something to prolong the length to make it reach 20+ hrs but that never happened.

But it's still the best game i ever played.

How come there isn't a movie theatre to watch all the cutscenes like in MGS3?

Mifune

Mehmber
____ said:
lol seriously...

i'm on my second playthru now...and i didn't know you could change the channel

so now i'm watching them all

but they're so out-there :lol

So you're saying there's no explanation for them later in the game?

Wow. I just have no idea what we're supposed to take from them.

Done!

I'll post a few more thoughts and dig my stats(they won't be pretty) up once the last couple hours of cutscenes are over. Awesome awesome game.

Erebus

Mifune said:
Yeah, the one with Hayter is completely bizarre and awesome.

I love that one too.:D

Btw, I received my copy this morning. I played for 10hours and still couldn't stop! There is no need to repeat it but the game is f*cking awesome (oops I just did)!!!!:D Best game on PS3 so far.

mackaveli

lawblob said:
I just watched the graveyard intro in its entirety for the first time. o_0

How did I not know about this until now? Wow...

what do you mean until now? you mean you haven't played metal gear before or the graveyard intro theres an extended cut that you have to do to watch it??

Durante

It's nice to read all the posts here about how amazing it gets starting with Act 3 -- I just finished Act 2 and came to post about how unbelieveably amazing that was. It's hard to imagine it getting even better :lol

This is easily one of the most polished games I've ever played. And unless it changes drastically for the worse, it's also one of the greatest.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I've done like an hour or so of act 4. It's brilliant, so much nostalgia and when
The Best is Yet to Come played
. I almost cried. I've been playing this series since 1998, so it touched me alot. Kojima rules.

KGKK

Banned
I've been avoiding this thread since release but what a fucken awesome game. My god. I'm the middle of Act4 and OMG!!!

____

Mifune said:
So you're saying there's no explanation for them later in the game?

Wow. I just have no idea what we're supposed to take from them.

lol, kojima said (i think), that they're just supposed to be a representation of what kinds of things would be on tv had the world be like it was portrayed in MGS4...

or at least thats what I gathered about the PMC ads...

(but no, there's no formal explanation)

djkimothy

joesmokey said:
Sooo I feel like a fucking idiot in Act 2.

Did anyone else take forever to figure out you go INSIDE the damn house? Sigh

i knew you had to go inside. I just didn't know how. then I saw the door...

Mifune

Mehmber
____ said:
lol, kojima said (i think), that they're just supposed to be a representation of what kinds of things would be on tv had the world be like it was portrayed in MGS4...

or at least thats what I gathered about the PMC ads...

(but no, there's no formal explanation)

I will say that even though they didn't formally tie into the game's beginning, they did help draw me into the game world. There's something really eerie about those shows.

Costanza said:

(ending spoilers)

I'm guessing
video message or something. It is one of those things that doesn't need to be explained like how Big Boss took Zero to where Snake was at the exact time and place.

Durante said:
Not forever, but I circled it two times :lol

I got bored and was like fuck it. Lets just run in there while people were shooting AND then i found a window on the opposite side of the house :lol

Magnus

Finally finished.

I must be a retard, one thing in particular was lost on me:

ENDING SPOILERS
Nevermind the fact that all character motivations get shifted/mangled/reverse/fucked up to hell in the last two hours of the game, I managed to sift through all of that, I think. I mean, I kind of threw my hands up in disgust and gave up when Liquid finally just announces that he kind of wants exactly what Snake's been fighting for all of this time. WTF. But anyway, my question: why exactly does the modern Pats crew (Eva/Ocelot/Naomi) program the second Foxdie to kill Big Boss? Where the fuck did that come from?

Major jaw-dropping moments of note:

Sigint was the DARPA chief!

EVA was the twins' mother!

Big Boss scrolling by in the credits, which come to a crazy dramatic halt!

EVA's Act 3 Church speech, where basically all is revealed: finding out who the Patriots were was huge.

Returning to Shadow Moses!

The final battle; which was completely awesome in every way, except sadly for its control scheme. I didn't think it could get worse than the original controls for fighting Liquid atop Rex, but they managed somehow. Every other part of the fight saved it, esp. reusing the alert tracks from MGS 1 and 2.

And finally, the motorcycle chase sequence in Act 3; holy motherfuck, amazing. Blasting some dude off a tank while upside-down in bullet time, as Snake on his mama's hog...it's like, WUT? Crazy.

The BB Unit was a fascinating part of this game, I liked.

MGS3 definitely left me with a much greater sense of....completion, amazement and so on, than this game, which kind of depresses me. I certainly loved MGS4, and am so looking forward to replaying it, the gameplay is just fucking fantastic. I'm just in the crowd with the rest of you who aren't copacetic with where the storyline went in the final few acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom