• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't just cry. I cried at the end like I don't think I've ever cried before. Like my stomach was convulsing. Most games it's like...oh sob sob. This was real sadness.

OmegaRed

I have a question regarding Act III

ok, when I follow the resistance members, and they stop because of enemy guards..what am I supposed to do? When I go around to take care of them, I go back and the resistance member is gone.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Alright, all you people who have beaten MGS4, rank it compared to the others in these terms:

Gameplay
Story
Characters
Boss Fights

Alright, for me:

Gameplay: 4>3>2>1
4's gameplay is absolutely refined and perfected. The stealth possibilities and mechanics are unbelievably good. The tweaked controls also made the game so much better to play.

Story: 4>3>1>2
This is awfully close to me. 4 has everything, but 3 still has the best ending. 1's story is near and dear to my heart, and 2, while good, wasn't presented as well as it could have been.

Characters: 4>1>3>2
4 had the best characters with everyone making meaningful comebacks. 1 had the best boss characters and back stories, but the BB Corps were an awesome throwback to 1's bosses. 3 had great characters too, but being in the 60's, it was a little hard to connect with some of them. Boss and Eva were the most compelling characters in 3. 2 had lame supporting characters.

Boss Fights: 1>4>3>>>>2
This is very close between 1, 4, and 3. 1 has the most groundbreaking of the series, and it regressed with 2. The Rex, Mantis, and Sniper wolf fights were superb, and still hold up to this day. 4 comes in a very close second with
Rex vs. Ray, Liquid, and Screaming Mantis
. 3 has the greatest sniper battle of all time with the End, and the best final boss, with Boss, but that's about it for 3. 2 has the worst bosses with Fatman, Vamp, and the Ray fights.

I am really curious now if there will be another version of MGS4 like Substance/Subsistance. I would totally buy it.
There could be a snake tales like sequence about events between MGS2 and 4. A mission where you play as Raiden going to save Sunny or something.

A VR mission pack on PSN or disc would also be great.

h3ro

OmegaRed said:
I have a question regarding Act III

ok, when I follow the resistance members, and they stop because of enemy guards..what am I supposed to do? When I go around to take care of them, I go back and the resistance member is gone.

Stay behind the Resistance guy and sleepy dart away or reposition yourself and take the guard out. Equip your Solid Eye and keep in eye on him as he moves around on your radar...

Costanza said:
I'm not having any fun whatsoever with MGO.

:\ Can't get a single kill WTF

Play on the newbie server or do training. A hint is that you can't play exactly like you did in single player. Gotta be killing people and aiming for the head.

rod

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I didn't just cry. I cried at the end like I don't think I've ever cried before. Like my stomach was convulsing. Most games it's like...oh sob sob. This was real sadness.

ive never cried in a game before, ive felt depressed, moved, sad, but i was watery eyed in mgs4. even when
raiden "died" at the end of c4, i felt so many emotions. like, looking back at him in mgs2, when i didnt really like him cos he wasnt snake. i felt bad. i was like, he was a good kid, good heart, he was used. and now hes gone. he is not like snake, he fights for a different reason. and i just felt REALLY, REALLY bad for not liking him in mgs2. when all was said and done in mgs4 though, he finished as one of my favorite characters in any videogame. ever. right up there with snake.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Late Act 4 spoilers (need help)

I can't figure out for the life of me how to kill Vamp. I'm using the rail gun to headshot him but, never fails he gets right back up. It's too bad a playboy doesn't work on him, but yeah any help would be nice

HugBasket

Banned
okay, i don't own the game and probably never will but i have a question for those who finished

i watched "raiden's ending" on gametrailers with him finding out he has a song and rose comes to him and the hospital, yada yada. i also just read he dies. so is he dead or what? a nice explanation of his involvement in mgs4 would be much appreciated.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
sp0rsk said:

I can't figure out for the life of me how to kill Vamp. I'm using the rail gun to headshot him but, never fails he gets right back up. It's too bad a playboy doesn't work on him, but yeah any help would be nice

Syringe him.

Costanza

Banned
sp0rsk you just want a hint or the actual answer?

hint:
think about his nanomachines and an item you have
answer:
CQC him and inject him with the syringe

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
sp0rsk said:

Hint:
"AS LONG AS THESE NANOMACHINES COURSE THROUGH MY VEINS, I CAN'T BE KILLED!"

Explanation (but try to figure it out via the hint instead):
CQC grab him, then inject him with the syringe to suppress the nanomachines that enhance his regen ability

Teknoman

Lion Heart said:
So who uses mic in game for codec calls, cause I could barely hear anything, even after cranking the thing to 10. Also, if I turn up the volume in the XMB, does that make MY voice Higher, or just the incoming voice???>>?

Edit: Man, Ninja Gaiden 2....will I ever play it again? Its just sitting there, poor bastard.

Incoming voice im guessing. Turn your mic volume up, in game mic volume up, XMB mic volume up, and you should be set.

rod

Banned
SephCast said:
Alright, all you people who have beaten MGS4, rank it compared to the others in these terms:

Gameplay
Story
Characters
Boss Fights

your rankings are extremely similar to mine.

gameplay 4>>>3>2>1. gameplay mechanics have improved in every mgs game, but not like the jump from mgs3 to 4. also, the most annoying gameplay mechanics found in 3 imo, eating and wound healing, are gone.

story 4>>>>3>1>2. although, playing mgs2 several times in the past few weeks have made me LIKE it, before, i disliked it, and thought it was too complex for its own good. but now especially, i realise, without it, we wouldnt have got the amazing story that 4 provides.

characters 4>>>3>>1>>2. i cared about every character in this game. every single one. whereas, before, there were throwaway characters that i didnt really care for.

boss fights 3>>1/2/4. i cant really separate the boss fights in 1 2 and 4, since i like them all the same to be honest. 3 for me, however, has the standout boss fights. it has a few weak ones, but overall the most fun fights in all the MG games. especially THE END. who is one of my favorite boss fights of all time. the other games have great boss fights too. its just mgs3 stands out for me.

1stStrike

Banned
Since I don't have a DS3, I'll tell you about that chapter 5 fight
where psycho mantis comes out and tries to move your controller. He goes to move it and freaks out because there's no vibration, screams and then vanishes. It was pretty funny. My dog ate my DS3 so I had to order a new one D:

Teknoman

Nooreo said:
Danm the patriots!

i have to charge my sixaxis :( no battery.

That wouldnt have happened if you used a dualshock 3.

Seriously though, get one, you're missing out

EDIT: Please just tell me we get to fight against big Gekkos again or those flying bots in a non-boss battle. Those biomechanical enemies are just too cool to not do so again.

Y2Kev said:

I still think MGS3 ending is the closet to me ever crying in a game, but as a whole, MGS4 is the most emotional game I have ever played. I rarely laugh hard or get sad or angry when playing a game, but MGS4 just tugs at those strigs at all the right moments.

I think that the
fight between Liquid and Snake was one of the best and saddest moments in the entire series. The entire time you play it and as it slowly shifts from MGS1 to MGS4, it evokes emotions you felt in those past games, yet as each one passes you realizes this is saying like saying 'good bye' to each one as you realize the end of the series was slowly approaching.

MGS4 is also just hilarious. Some scenes had my laughing really hard. The one part where
in Shadow Moses where Otacon tells you to remember this one number, I kept repeating it to myself until I finally got to that part and was all confident that I knew the right number. When I typed it in, it turns out to be wrong and Otacon calls Snake old and senile as his psyche guage goes down. The best was that I started to get embarrased and Snake responded to Otacon exactly as I would have with "I knew the number! I just remembered it". Amazing.

wowfactor

Banned
Shouta said:
All right, took down Boss 3,
Crying Wolf
Tranqing it in both forms! Easier than the other two, that's for sure. I apparently got a little figurine nearby. Anyway get that too?

I haven't got to that part yet but the Raven boss is so easy at normal mode.

Y2Kev

tribal24 said:
omfg!?!?! omfg?!!?!??
omfg at act 3 motocycle chase speechless omg i think i can quit gaming after this lol
You can. It's over. Gaming is done. RE5 will be like the placenta being born, but everythign else will just leave you with a longing emptiness and a pit in your stomach.

I have to say this because I rarely encounter sequences in movies and music, much less videogames that send shivers down my spine and re-affirm why I play and love games, especially MGS, so much.

WARNING: The following contains some very hefty spoilers for those of us that were on media blackout so if you were don't read them. You will know exactly what I am talking about when you encounter these scenes in acts 3 and 4 and I will almost guarantee they will hit long-time fans of the series like the freight-train that just hit me.

After having just experienced the face-melting conclusion to act 3 I was extatic. Briefing to act 4 was awesome, because until then, I had NO IDEA we were returning to Shadow Moses. The PSX MGS1 insert at the beginning was an awesome mood lightener which only served to increase the nostalgia for what was to come.

After actually gaining control of snake I was sincerely amazed at the effects of the snow storm. My jaw literally hit the fucking floor. I think, "Shadow Moses, classic MGS, what will make this better? Then Kojima hits his opus. After topping the hill and seeing the facility I was giddy with excitement until the music starts. "The Best is Yet to come" is my favorite track off the original score and I still listen to it regularly which made this moment all the more special. I stood and panned the scenery for the length of the track. I was literally speechless and it saddens me to know that I will likely not encounter an event with this much stored emotion in any videogame ever again. The subtle flashbacks and soundclips from the first brought back all the fond memories of MGS1 and left me gasping. Moments like this are why I LOVE this series.

I jumped on at MGS1 and it was the first story driven game I ever completed, which made a monsterously lasting impression and to finally have 10 years of love and character development finally come full circle sent a wave of emotion through me that I haven't felt in a long time. It was literally perfect. I was hesitant to move for fear of ending the moment. This has without a doubt been the most awe inspiring experience of my gaming career and I can now say with absolutely no reservations that, in my opinion, the opinion of someone who has been with this series since its revival on the playstation 10 years ago, Metal Gear Solid 4 is the greatest game I've ever played.

rod

Banned
Prvt.Pegleg said:
okay, i don't own the game and probably never will but i have a question for those who finished

i watched "raiden's ending" on gametrailers with him finding out he has a song and rose comes to him and the hospital, yada yada. i also just read he dies. so is he dead or what? a nice explanation of his involvement in mgs4 would be much appreciated.

he doesnt die, but you are given a strong indication he is gone. flashbacks, his body drifts into the ocean with his sword stabbed through the ground. it really is like a war funeral. you really think he is gone. but he survives. :D

HugBasket

Banned
rod said:
he doesnt die, but you are given a strong indication he is gone. flashbacks, his body drifts into the ocean with his sword stabbed through the ground. it really is like a war funeral. you really think he is gone. but he survives. :D
oh,
good

thanks

rod

Banned
Gorechylde, im really glad other people feel the same way as me from that whole scene. like i said previously, for others, it may not mean a lot, but just like you said, i doubt i will ever feel "that way" again in a videogame.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
EviLore said:
Hint:
"AS LONG AS THESE NANOMACHINES COURSE THROUGH MY VEINS, I CAN'T BE KILLED!"

Explanation (but try to figure it out via the hint instead):
CQC grab him, then inject him with the syringe to supress the nanomachines that enhance his regen ability

Yeah, I was had the general idea before, I just forgot I had that item, I knew there was some sort of trick to it.

SephCast said:

Gameplay
Story
Characters
Boss Fights

Gameplay: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Story: 4 > 3 > 1 > 2

Characters: 4 > 1 > 3 > 2

Boss Fights: 4 > 3 > 1 > 2

-Rogue5-

This is one of the only games that I've played that get better later on... Which is amazing because of how high the bar is set from the beginning. Each Act is better than the last... insane.

Also, how many times did you guys not realize the cinematic was over? I swear, 3 or 4 times (particularly Act 3) I didn't realize I was in control.

dk_

jvalioli said:
My brother read the wikipedia entries and watched all that stuff. He watched me play most of MGS4 and was so lost.
I'm at the end of Act 2 and I think I got everything so far. We'll see.... I just missed MGS3.

Defuser

Anyone feel that MGS4 is one big junkie game? Snake is constantly smoking and some characters are constantly injecting themselves. :lol

Anyway I completed MGS4 like 10 hours ago and it's the best PS3 08 game forever. No game ever give you many genres all clump into one with classic parodies and quirky stuff.

Snake is badass.
Raiden is badass.
Hell even Liquid Ocelot is badass.

inner-G

Banned
Defuser said:
Anyone feel that MGS4 is one big junkie game? Snake is constantly smoking and some characters are constantly injecting themselves. :lol
Yeah, but Snake's hacking doesn't really glorify it.

It actually has me contemplating quitting. (again)

Shoot!

Act 2 Spoilers
I'm really having a hard time with Laughing Octopus. Her melee attacks are way strong; I'm just having a hard time with her. Any tips.

RobertM

dk_ said:
I'm at the end of Act 2 and I think I got everything so far. We'll see.... I just missed MGS3.
The character from MGS3 will explain herself but you won't get the all the pieces of MGS3 story, just the main stuff.
biggkidd32 said:
Shoot!

Act 2 Spoilers
I'm really having a hard time with Laughing Octopus. Her melee attacks are way strong; I'm just having a hard time with her. Any tips.
None lethal way or lethal way?
I just used stun grenades, NV mode on Solid Eye, and my trusty Stun gun. When she starts rolling all over the place, I just get on the table in one of the rooms and shoot from there, you can hit her easily while she's shooting, and stay away from the floating mines

duckroll

Beat it today, 17 hours. Stayed away from youtube, GAF, various other sites, all XBL and PSN messages, and everything for a few days. It was all totally worth it. There's nothing like a totally unspoiled MGS4 experience from start to finish. Kojima has crafted a masterpiece send off for all MGS fans, and it's totally out of this world.

There has never been a videogame with a better combination of visuals, sound, gameplay and cinematics, and it'll probably be a long fucking time before it happens again (FFXIII, I'm counting on you!). Kojima Productions poured their heart and soul into every frame and every second of the game, and it really shows - both in visuals and in audio.

I can't wait to replay it again and try out some MGO. One thing's for certain, after MGS4 I won't be able to look at any next-gen game the same way ever again. The bar has been raised forever and expectations and the reality of what the PS3 can really do has been changed forever.

Props to Ryan for overseeing an excellent AAA grade localizaton, and hats off to everyone at Kojima Productions for producing the highest quality videogame experience there is today. :D

Pojo

Banned
Is this a movie or a game? Honestly, I'm done with act 3, and while I love it to death, I can hardly classify it as a game. Even the
motorcycle
bit, I didn't even know I could play it until she told me to cover from behind.

Though I did really like the
part where you follow that informant.
I just found it funny how you could drop a guy right in front of him and he wouldn't be bothered by it. :p

sp0rsk said:
Yeah, I was had the general idea before, I just forgot I had that item, I knew there was some sort of trick to it.
I musta "killed" Vamp over a dozen times before Otacon just flat out told me to use CQC on him and inject him
. :lol

duckroll

Pojo said:
Is this a movie or a game?

It definitely blurs the line like NEVER before. It's both a movie and a game imo, and works very well as both. Some people won't like it, but it's always been a part of MGS.

Y2Kev

Gameplay:

4 >>>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>> 2 > 1

Story:

4 > 3 > 1 > 2

MGS4 does it all. MGS2 was simply too ambitious and left too many questions-- it was the equivalent of Lost season 2. It was overindulgent and didn't have the gameplay to back it up.

Cutscenes (my own):

4 >>>> most movies > 3 > 2 > 1

Kojima's evolution as a director is just wow. Some of the best choreography and "cinematography."

Characters:

4 > 1 > 3 > 2

4's got 'em all and they are all better developed than ever before. 3 sags because Sigint, Paramedic, and Major Zero are just lame-o in game. They're so tame and uninteresting. EVA and Ocelot though, fucking own.
EVA at the time of her death is seriously one of my favorite characters ever.

Boss fights:

4 = 1 > 3 > 2

MGS4's boss fights are infinitely creative and unique. They aren't necessarily hard to kill (whereas 3 is that way), but 3 it's like....there's a bad guy, go kill him. MGS4 has a hook to each fight. And the bosses themselves are much cooler. MGS1 gets the nod just because it has those awesome awesome post-battle scenes. I really wish
MGS4 had them instead of Drebin just talking, but the stories themselves are so interesting and well written...especially Crying Wolf.

This game did things to me I swore MGS would never do. I loved Raiden. I refused to run and gun.

When
Big Boss
shows up in the ending, I LOST MY SHIT. I LOST IT. SHIT = LOST.

edit: Yes, I detected a few problems with the subtitles. Nothing major. Saito did the translation though, not Ryan (though maybe he oversaw it).

Shane mentioned something about the journalists complaining about one of the battles being too difficult and it was toned down. Has this battle been confirmed? Does anyone have any guesses?

Absinthe said:
Shane mentioned something about the journalists complaining about one of the battles being too difficult and it was toned down. Has this battle been confirmed? Does anyone have any guesses?

I was actually really curious about this myself.

If I was to guess, I would say it was the scene where (late game spoilers)
Snake fights Gekko with a rail gun as Raiden fights Vamp

rod

Banned
Linkzg said:

that part was easy. if the
mantis fight wouldve been any harder i wouldve pulled my hair out. (big boss hard)

rod said:
that part was easy. if the
mantis fight wouldve been any harder i wouldve pulled my hair out. (big boss hard)

It was easy, but that could have been after the change. I am replaying it now on big boss hard, so I don't know how hard it gets later on. The game was pretty easy for the most part. I shutter when I think about how this game would be with the old controls.

Wait, this actually just came up on 1upyours. It was apparently the AI in act 3.

Y2Kev

Linkzg said:

TTP confirmed it was Act 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom