• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

methos75

Banned
Absinthe said:
Which is really, really fucking strange to me. You'd think that Sony would be pimping the hell out of this game.

I've seen a ton of games that is showing off Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, and Metal Gear 4, but they need commercials solely dedicated to MGS4. I just haven't see many of those at all.

Its Sony, has anything they have done this gen made sense yet?

Roxas

hirokazu said:
I'm near the end of Act 2, I did that for the first boss
because I read someone say here that you get a reward for defeating bosses with non-lethal weapons, and I actually did both the beast form and human form of Laughing Octopus that way. I assumed the extra face camo was the only reward. Where do I collect the statue?
:(

I found the statues...
during their human form, i would look around the area and there were the statues. Couldn't see them during beast form.

hl2 is hardly the high point of cinematic gaming experience...it has a good story, but its quite minimalistic....too minimalistic...the cutscenes didnt impress me all that much easier. While crysis story is nothing to write home about, it achieved the fusion better i thought...especially in that it felt far more cinematic than HL2

zam

Roxas said:
I found the statues...
during their human form, i would look around the area and there were the statues. Couldn't see them during beast form.
Do you have to use non-lethal weapons on their beast forms for the statue to appear?

rSpooky

Won said:
Before I completely ignore this thread and wait for the inevitabe "Things you DON'T like about MGS4" (lawl) thread, I will add one complain:

WTF was with the cutscene weapon switching? I don't even know how often I had to go into the menu after a cutscene, because the game replaced the weapon I just used with the M4 or the stupid Operator.

OK, I do have to agree with this complaint..

Dragon

Banned
methos75 said:
Its Sony, has anything they have done this gen made sense yet?

Unbelievable how you infect every forum I try to go to *sighs*

Anyway, I'm still in Act 1, haven't had a lot of time to play this weekend. I played a bit of MGS yesterday and the startling differences since that game (I haven't played MGS3) really are welcome, to me anyway.

John_B said:
I managed to obtain the Foxhound rank. It takes a load of patience, but it is very doable.

The clock doesn't tick during cutscenes? I was worried about missing out on flashback points while trying to do a speed run.

methos75

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Unbelievable how you infect every forum I try to go to *sighs*

Anyway, I'm still in Act 1, haven't had a lot of time to play this weekend. I played a bit of MGS yesterday and the startling differences since that game (I haven't played MGS3) really are welcome, to me anyway.

I was here first, your the infection you fungus and seriously, Sony has dropped the ball this gen and everyone knows it. They have no aggressive marketing, they refuse to go after exclusives, they are not keeping strong ties with their bigger past third Party cohorts like Square, they are not proactive in getting the word out on all the PS3 can do, really it is a miracle the PS3 is doing well at all considering how little Sony does to promote it.

hirokazu

methos75 said:
I was here first, your the infection you fungus and seriously, Sony has dropped the ball this gen and everyone knows it. They have no aggressive marketing, they refuse to go after exclusives, they are not keeping strong ties with their bigger past third Party cohorts like Square, they are not proactive in getting the word out on all the PS3 can do, really it is a miracle the PS3 is doing well at all considering how little Sony does to promote it.
Can you guys please STFU with this bitching and arguing nonsense? Some of us want to discuss the game not have wade through these dumb posts. Thanks.

Wollan

Drebin Shop has 20% off on Sundays and Wednesdays so if you guys have saved up some points then it might be an idea to acquire some stuff today (though I guess you can bother with adjusting the clock later on if you're that type).

On a different note..
Act 5 spoiler
I think the Outer Haven section may have 50% off though obviously not always ideal depending on where your latest save is located.

methos75

Banned
hirokazu said:
Can you guys please STFU with this bitching and arguing nonsense? Some of us want to discuss the game not have wade through these dumb posts. Thanks.

We are discussing it, we are discussing how neither Sony nor Konami is promoting it at all.

Raist

Banned
methos75 said:
Clumsy last gen weapon system, where you have to hold now a button to see a targetting reticule, hit another to go into the iron shights that is just amazing in how unintunitive it is, why not just hit up to do that?

It fofers multiple aiming systems. What did you expect ? The game to read your mind to know if you want to shoot in TP or FP ? <.<

OatmealMu

Alright, I'm trying to tranq
Screaming Mantis
and am completely lost.

I knocked down both dolls. I absent mindedly used the Mantis doll and got her down to near zero health before noticing it depleted both her bars. Shooting her with the Sorrow doll obviously does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Wollan said:
Drebin Shop has 20% off on Sundays and Wednesdays so if you guys have saved up some points then it might be an idea to acquire some stuff today.

On a different note..
Act 5 spoiler
I think the Outer Haven section may have 50% off though obviously not always ideal depending on where your latest save is located.

It was
50% off on Outer Haven
last night, a few minutes before 0:00 Sunday morning in my time zone. I'm curious if it's still that today or if another 20% is added to it.

John_B said:
I'm pretty sure it does.

Yikes. Impressive time, then.

methos75

Banned
Raist said:
It fofers multiple aiming systems. What did you expect ? The game to read your mind to know if you want to shoot in TP or FP ? <.<

No, I just thinking hitting up on the d-pad makes more sense.

OatmealMu said:
Alright, I'm trying to tranq
Screaming Mantis
and am completely lost.

I knocked down both dolls. I absent mindedly used the Mantis doll and got her down to near zero health before noticing it depleted both her bars. Shooting her with the Sorrow doll obviously does nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Hit her with the mantis doll and shake the controller. You only need to tranq the human forms not the beast forms

zam

comrade said:
Yes you do. Mosin-Nagant is great for this.
Ok, thanks a lot!

biggkidd32 said:
Stun Grenades, too. Those things were such a lifesaver.
Do stun grenades actually wear down the bosses psyche/stamina-gauge? I thought they just worked like flashbangs...

biggkidd32 said:
Hit her with the mantis doll and shake the controller. You only need to tranq the human forms not the beast forms
Doesn't the
Mantis Doll hurt her health?

OatmealMu

biggkidd32 said:

No shit? Man, I've tranquilized
both forms of the Beauties up to this point. Raging Raven was a bit of a pain... :|
Oops.

Cheech said:
IMO, and I realize this opinion is not popular here, but cutscenes are really a last generation anachronism where you *couldn't* achieve the level of cinematic immersion in a story without them. Today, with modern gaming engines, there is just no place for 20 minute+ long non-interactive monster cutscenes. So, you can juice up the audio and graphics, but if I'm not playing through the action, it's not much of a game. Again, IMO.

If you believe that, then you're making the argument that games will replace movies as the best way to tell a story. I guess it's a matter of expectations, and that's disappointing to me. The MGS series is more an exception in gaming than an extension of common storytelling techniques.

Until a game proves otherwise, the only good stories in videogaming have been mostly passive experiences, whether through subtle suggestion in intervals like Bioshock, SotC/Ico, or Portal, or through hours of cut scenes like MGS4 or a FF game. Sometimes I'm looking for the immersion of the former, but I've never gotten a story with as many threads as the MGS series. It should be that way, because it's intentional.

lunlunqq

OatmealMu said:
No shit? Man, I've tranquilized
both forms of the Beauties up to this point. Raging Raven was a bit of a pain... :|
Oops.

you did the right thing. you get a reward in addition to the
face camos
for doing that. don't tell me you didn't collect the rewards...

AndresON777

shooting blanks
why the hell do i have to play mgs1 again in act 4? i mean i just got essentials a few months ago, i hate that game now...it was great back in the day, how long is that part? just untiil you beat ocelot or whatever?

lunlunqq said:
you did the right thing. you get a reward in addition to the
face camos
for doing that. don't tell me you didn't collect the rewards...
What do you get for tranquilizing their beast forms?

Costanza

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
why the hell do i have to play mgs1 again in act 4? i mean i just got essentials a few months ago, i hate that game now...it was great back in the day, how long is that part? just untiil you beat ocelot or whatever?
just the first area :lol.. it's like 30 seconds

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ChrisGoldstein said:

Naw, it's just
the first screen. I don't know if you can just "exit" by quiting the game using start though... I didn't try that.

lunlunqq

biggkidd32 said:
What do you get for tranquilizing their beast forms?

a small statue of the boss. there are 5 of them. collect all 5 will earn you an awesome secret weapon in your next playthrough.

ChrisGoldstein said:

Honestly, you probably could've finished that part in the time it took you to login and post this. :)

Also, KojiPro must really resent Twin Snakes or something to have used all the original MGS assets in the flashbacks.
Understandable why they used original MGS assets for the playable flashback in Act 4, though.
I guess they're either really proud of them, or they just like showing off how far the technology has come.

Elios83

I've just finished the game, 16h 40m, Hawk rating (I've helped a lot the rebels but it seems the game gives the prize to the stealth approach).
I think it's really a spectacular game, it is really hard to turn back to the average game made of fillers, boring parts, poor design and back tracking after you have played MGS4.
The game certainly sets a new standard in terms of presentation and jaw dropping situations.
Gameplay is basically an evolution of the classic core MGS gameplay, we now have a full 3D camera, first person aiming, a new weapon system, maybe the game takes a bit longer to get into compared to MGS1&2 and it's not perfect, it could be better but it's really works great once you master all the aspects although it's good you can still make it through with a basic knowledge, probably it's the best they could really do without changing game completely. Graphics are also amazing, especially in cut scenes later in the game, they look like CG sequences and then you can zoom and move the camera, really incredible.

That being said the story is a bit confusing and not that much credible (but we knew that since MGS2 :lol ) there are a few things I haven't understood about the ending. I'll ask here:

At the end of the game Big Boss says that Eva and Ocelot helped in reconstructing his body and their plan was to free him from the Patriots who put him on life support mistaking him for Solidus.
But in this case why EVA thought the body she was protecting was the one of Big Boss?She wasted her life trying to save that corpse.
And Ocelot? Did he know it? Did he use the datas extracted from the body to attack the IA system or the GW thing maded it not necessary?
About the new Foxdie, who injected it in Snake? Was it really Drebin under the orders of the Patriots to try to kill Liquid when they would met?

On more thing, how do you unlock the Altair costume?

Baha

Elios83 said:
Thank you, do you need to end the game to unlock it anyway or you get it right when you unlock the achievement?

Also, less than 25 alerts, all three must be accomplished during one playthrough I believe.

Xtyle

I called it.
I said there would be backlash after the game's out. Someone said I didn't make sense and that backlash would only come from hardcore MGS players...

to all the haters. MGS is the way it is. If you don't like it, it is just NOT for you. MGS4 does the best within its genre...asking for it to be something to be different is just ridiculous. It is also silly to bring up Half Life and Bioshock because only certain type of stories would work in that type of storytelling. It's way too late for MGS4 to change its way of storytelling because of how complicated the story has gotten.

bigben85 said:
I called it.
I said there would be backlash after the game's out. Someone said I didn't make sense and that backlash would only come from hardcore MGS players...

to all the haters. MGS is the way it is. If you don't like it, it is just NOT for you. MGS4 does the best within its genre...asking for it to be something to be different is just ridiculous. It is also silly to bring up Half Life and Bioshock because only certain type of stories would work in that type of storytelling. It's way too late for MGS4 to change its way of storytelling because of how complicated the story has gotten.

theres backlash for every AAA game thats released... its just the reality

Durante

bigben85 said:
I called it.
I said there would be backlash after the game's out.
It's not really that great a prediction -- I can't think of any games with a metacritic score higher than 90 that have not had some kind of backlash directed against them. If you factor in that it's a PS3 exclusive it's actually more tame than I expected (but this may just be the case here at GAF).

I agree with your point regarding storytelling. We like it that way.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
bloody pirate said:
theres backlash for every AAA game thats released... its just the reality
This.

I bet trophy's will be added to this game here when the firmware is released.. a good title to start the achievement system

that could be what ryan was talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom