• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy

Elios83 said:
Thank you, do you need to end the game to unlock it anyway or you get it right when you unlock the achievement?

The guide mentions that Konami will be releasing passwords for some of the unlocks in the future, and the Altair one is cited as being passwordable. But there's always a possibility the guide is wrong and/or Konami changed their minds.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bigben85 said:
I called it.
I said there would be backlash after the game's out. Someone said I didn't make sense and that backlash would only come from hardcore MGS players...

to all the haters. MGS is the way it is. If you don't like it, it is just NOT for you. MGS4 does the best within its genre...asking for it to be something to be different is just ridiculous. It is also silly to bring up Half Life and Bioshock because only certain type of stories would work in that type of storytelling. It's way too late for MGS4 to change its way of storytelling because of how complicated the story has gotten.

There's seriously hardly any backlash in this thread compared to other games. The praise is near universal.

Elios: Your first point is the point I still don't understand. If
EVA reconstructed Big Boss, how did she think Solidus' pyx was big boss?

Unless it was stolen from her again at some point and she recently got back a decoy.

Baha

As much as I'm enjoying the game right now, I can understand why some people may not enjoy it. That said, none of the complaints against the game have ruined my enjoyment of this game or the series, I just wish more people wouldn't get so bent out of shape over reviews or complaints (not necessarily here mind you).

Finally, to all of you complaining about the lack of codec calls, they are there. BUT you have to make the call at the right time. Throughout act 4 for example,
if you call otacon during specific parts of the level, you'll chat about mgs1 moments. My favorite, Otacon calling Snake "the shit" :lol .

SleazyC

Y2Kev said:
She could have been putting on an act to trick whatever patriot-allied people were watching

AndresON777

shooting blanks
firehawk12 said:
Just a quick question about Naomi:

I may have missed something with the USB key during the Act 3 mission briefing. I just assumed that was Liquid/Ocelot telling her to infiltrate Otacon's systems or some such, but she couldn't do it and that was the end of it. I don't think it comes back up again, but now I'm wondering if I missed something and that was a foreshadowing of the virus uploaded to GW.

Any ideas?

she's a backstabbing cunt, i'm just in act 4 though...i think she changed her mind on the airship and didnt upload the virus or whatever, but when she got to the city in eastern europe.....on the ground, she changed her mind again and decided to betray snake/otacon and contacted liquid, btw is she vamp's girl or something?

Xtyle

ChrisGoldstein said:
she's a backstabbing cunt, i'm just in act 4 though...i think she changed her mind on the airship and didnt upload the virus or whatever, but when she got to the city in eastern europe.....on the ground, she changed her mind again and decided to betray snake/otacon and contacted liquid, btw is she vamp's girl or something?

you will find out

Fletcher

Just started up the second act and nothing has really grabbed me yet. I even find myself doing other things while the cutscenes are rolling. Check e-mail, go poop, get food, etc.. I hope it picks up. This game is very pretty to look at, though. Very pretty.

Y2Kev

SleazyC said:
She could have been putting on an act to trick whatever patriot-allied people were watching
She
dies in a fire though. Plus, the bit with the "ADAM..." and the apple....that was an awesome scene. I mean, that's quite an act. But then again, it does make sense.

Y2Kev said:
There's seriously hardly any backlash in this thread compared to other games. The praise is near universal.

Unless it was stolen from her again at some point and she recently got back a decoy.

Maybe
she needed to believe it to fool The Patriots into thinking Big Boss was really dead. She knew she was gonna die anyway because of the foxdie.

Elios83

SleazyC said:

Don't forget that she burnt herself alive trying to save that thing, I don't know but the ending makes the events in Act 3 so confusing... Big Boss also says that Liquid/Ocelot, Eva and then himself soon after were killed by the virus but this is not true at least for what concerns EVA.
Moreover is it safe to say that the new virus was injected by Drebin under the Patriot's orders to try to kill Liquid?

dalin80

Banned
good grief some of the bits on the second playthrough are mighty expensive to buy... ouch.

Iam currently trying to do a no kill run and the end of area 2 is proving mighty tricky anyone got any hits while trying to do the
on the run with drebin without killin no fools
bit?

Y2Kev

Elios83 said:
Don't forget that she burnt herself alive trying to save that thing, I don't know but the ending makes the events in Act 3 so confusing... Big Boss also says that Liquid/Ocelot, Eva and then himself soon after were killed by the virus but this is not true at least for what concerns EVA.
Moreover is it safe to say that the new virus was injected by Drebin under the Patriot's orders to try to kill Liquid?

EVA was only in contact with Snake for a matter of hours. Based on how long it takes Big Boss to croak, it's possible that the new FOXDIE is just a bit slower and EVA died before FOXDIE killed her.

I'm not entirely convinced it's not an act. The women of Metal Gear all make the ultimate sacrifice for their organizations. Except Meryl. But she married Akiba, so that's kind of a sacrifice.

Y2Kev said:
EVA was only in contact with Snake for a matter of hours. Based on how long it takes Big Boss to croak, it's possible that the new FOXDIE is just a bit slower and EVA died before FOXDIE killed her.

I'm not entirely convinced it's not an act. The women of Metal Gear all make the ultimate sacrifice for their organizations. Except Meryl. But she married Akiba, so that's kind of a sacrifice.
no, you guys just found a plothole; that's all

they happen when a series goes one game at a time and then the producers try to add depth later ; /

Y2Kev

Mr. Spinnington said:

they happen when a series goes one game at a time and then the producers try to add depth later ; /

There's no reason for this to be a plothole. The entire concept is introduced in this game.

methos75

Banned
Attack You said:
Honestly, you probably could've finished that part in the time it took you to login and post this. :)

Also, KojiPro must really resent Twin Snakes or something to have used all the original MGS assets in the flashbacks.
Understandable why they used original MGS assets for the playable flashback in Act 4, though.
I guess they're either really proud of them, or they just like showing off how far the technology has come.

The new assests found in Twin Snakes are partly nintendo owned, making them a no no in a Sony game.

SleazyC

dalin80 said:
good grief some of the bits on the second playthrough are mighty expensive to buy... ouch.

Iam currently trying to do a no kill run and the end of area 2 is proving mighty tricky anyone got any hits while trying to do the
on the run with drebin without killin no fools
bit?
Equip a shotgun with vortex rings to handle the soldiers climbing up the side of the stryker. Throw chaffs to not allow the power-suit soldiers to fire on you or just duck behind the turret to minimize the damage. Gekko's do not count towards your kills so you can take them out, just be careful not to shoot any soldiers around them.

Elios83 said:
That still doesn't explain why EVA decides to suicide herself trying to save something she should know it's not the body of Big Boss.
And Ocelot? Did he know the body he was thiefing was not that of Big Boss? Did he actually use it or the fact they managed to make GW run again thus conquering SOP from the inside made to the attack option using the Big Boss datas useless?
I am pretty certain that Ocelot knew that he was stealing Solidus' body instead of Big Boss'. Everything in the game from MGS1 and onwards was a very intricate and complex plan to destroy the SOP system that the Patriots had setup. Ocelot never had any intention to fire the rail gun and destroy JD (Big Boss said this at the end of the game I think) so I don't see why it isn't out of the option to think that both him and Eva took extra precautions to make sure no one knew what they were doing.

Elios83

Y2Kev said:

That still doesn't explain why EVA decides to suicide herself trying to save something she should know it's not the body of Big Boss.
And Ocelot? Did he know the body he was thiefing was not that of Big Boss? Did he actually use it or the fact they managed to make GW run again thus conquering SOP from the inside made to the attack option using the Big Boss datas useless?

Elios83

Mr. Spinnington said:

It's a giant thing, it's not a minor detail not converging with the rest of the story.

Y2Kev said:
There's no reason for this to be a plothole. The entire concept is introduced in this game.

Yeah, it is never explained, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
I think she did die because of the foxdie and was acting it all out. At first I thought she knew it was Solidus and still was upset since he was her son...but that would be a bit much.

i'm talking about the fact that
EVA sacrificed herself for solidus' body as if it were big boss
, only for players to find out later that
not only is big boss alive, but that one of the people who reconstructed him was EVA herself
. it was a trick to make people feel things that looks like it's backfired, with the way it's being justified.

a story shouldn't need justification, it should make sense the first time

Y2Kev

Elios83 said:
It doesn't matter.
Ocelot just needed Big Boss' code...and Solidus' was good enough as he is the only exact clone. They needed his code to hack into SOP. The first act they use Liquid's blood, the second, Snake's (see that Naomi draws it), and the third they finally use Solidus/Big Boss'.

The EVA thing could have been an act. She was going to die anyway. She said so twice before.

Mr. Spinnington said:
not only is big boss alive, but that one of the people who reconstructed him was EVA herself
. it was a trick to make people feel things that looks like it's backfired, with the way it's being justified.

There are a number of ideas we're tossing around, from it being an act to the body being stolen away and EVA recovering only a part of it.
Justification and explanation are not the same thing.

Y2Kev said:
There are a number of ideas we're tossing around, from it being an act to the body being stolen away and EVA recovering only a part of it.
Justification and explanation are not the same thing.
no, but what we're looking for is an explanation, and all people are giving is justification in the absence of reason

in any case, if something is justified to a person, then it is reasonable and easily explained. if not, then the term is called guessing, which is poor storytelling in my book

Mr. Spinnington said:

It was explained by Big Boss himself at the end that what killed Ocelot, EVA and himself was the new foxdie in Snake. Ocelot wasn't killed from being beat up by Snake, EVA wasn't killed by the fire, and Big Boss didn't die from old age. The idea that everyone had to assume a role to trick to AI helps back up the point that EVA was playing out her role.

Elios83

Mr. Spinnington said:
no, but what we're looking for is an explanation, and all people are giving is justification in the absence of reason

in any case, if something is justified to a person, then it is reasonable and easily explained. if not, then the term is called guessing, which is poor storytelling in my book

Yup it's true that the game could have done a better work in trying to expose the plot clearly.

Do you guys think the new virus was injected by Drebin who was working under the Patriots?

Linkzg said:
The idea that everyone had to assume a role to trick to AI helps back up the point that EVA was playing out her role.
that's a pretty long shot that they were all in on it together, let alone that it would be so intricate

Y2Kev

Elios83 said:
Yup it's true the game could have a better work in trying to expose the plot clearly.

Do you guys think the new virus was injected by Drebin who was working under the Patriots?

It
definitely was. The plot synopsis in the guide makes that clear too.

mackaveli

Linkzg said:
It was explained by Big Boss himself at the end that what killed Ocelot, EVA and himself was the new foxdie in Snake. Ocelot wasn't killed from being beat up by Snake, EVA wasn't killed by the fire, and Big Boss didn't die from old age. The idea that everyone had to assume a role to trick to AI helps back up the point that EVA was playing out her role.

also about EVA dying of foxdie. I'm not 100% sure, but i doubt she has nanomachines so foxdie was going to kill her not the fire.

Also, she had to pretend to save big boss' body because what would snake think. Snake would ask why did you just let him die like that and not try and rescue him if you loved him and tried so hard to rescue his body previously just to let him die like that. She fought so hard to get big boss' body before (what she told snake) so its only natural she would try and save it from a fire. well that's my take on it.

Mr. Spinnington said:
that's a pretty long shot that they were all in on it together, let alone that it would be so intricate

They were up against
an AI that had control over governments, soldiers, weapons, etc...
I would say half-heartedness wasn't an option

-Rogue5-

Anyone know where to get Chaff Grenades? I have one or two, but I can't purchase them from Drebin for some reason. And I think I'm gonna need a bunch of them
to get through the drone and Gekko parts later in the game
without getting an alert (I'm playing through to get the stealth camo.)

Y2Kev

Linkzg said:
They were up against
She knew her time was up. She said, "I only get off my bike when I fall in love or die." And she wasn't in love with her son.

Elios83 said:
Yup it's true that the game could have done a better work in trying to expose the plot clearly.

Yes that was shown in a flashback. Interesting conversation here, I was having the same questions.

How about this one back from MGS2
Why did Ocelot play along with the Patroits like he did in that game, was it cause he was a slave to them until Liquid took over?

Linkzg said:
They were up against
yeah dude, but that's like arguing the ending subplot where
rose reveals she's been pretending to be campbell's wife for 5 years-- even pre-emptively beginning with the miscarriage to fool raiden into thinking he had no son. she risked her entire future, as well as roy's reputation on the sole prospect of everything going according to plan in mgs4

i mean come on

Mr. Spinnington said:
yeah dude, but that's like the ending subplot where
rose reveals she's been pretending to be campbell's wife for 5 years-- even pre-emptively beginning with the miscarriage to fool raiden into thinking he had no son. she risked her entire future, as well as roy's reputation on the sole prospect of everything going according to plan in mgs4

i mean come on

Well,
I did think the whole Rose thing was a bit much. I mean, then was she lying about Raiden being a drunk? that would make sense since after MGS2 he saved sunny, met up with Big Mama, and at one point got so hurt that he needed to become a cyborg to survive. I don't know. Rose was a bit weird in the game.

And another thing
Did liquid have control or Ocelot, or did it fluctuate. Liquid seemed to want to take over the world, in doing so it would destroy the Patriots and BB and company knew Snake could take out Liquid when the time came. But the end makes it seem like that was all setup. So Liquid wasn't trying to take over the world, his act of massacre at the end of act 3 was for good. That does't make sense. I say Liquid was in control, he was a loose cannon until the end.

SleazyC

MiamiWesker said:
Yes that was shown in a flashback. Interesting conversation here, I was having the same questions.

How about this one back from MGS2
Why did Ocelot play along with the Patroits like he did in that game, was it cause he was a slave to them until Liquid took over?
I think its because he wanted to get GW so he could move to the next steps in his plans. GW was a huge key to alot of the events that occurred in MGS4.

MiamiWesker said:
And another thing
Did liquid have control or Ocelot, or did it fluctuate. Liquid seemed to want to take over the world, in doing so it would destroy the Patriots and BB and company knew Snake could take out Liquid when the time came. But the end makes it seem like that was all setup. So Liquid wasn't trying to take over the world, his act of massacre at the end of act 3 was for good. That does't make sense. I say Liquid was in control, he was a loose cannon until the end.

Liquid never had control over Ocelot. It was all Ocelot playing a role to trick the Patriots. Boss says this at the end and Ocelot himself says he was a doppelganger of Liquid during the last battle.

FabCam

For those with the soundtrack:

Is the music that plays when you hover over the MGS4 disc image on the XMB on the disc? I love that tune.

Linkzg said:
Well,
I did think the whole Rose thing was a bit much. I mean, then was she lying about Raiden being a drunk? that would make sense since after MGS2 he saved sunny, met up with Big Mama, and at one point got so hurt that he needed to become a cyborg to survive. I don't know. Rose was a bit weird in the game.

Seems to me like Rose just wanted to protect her baby from the Patriots, she was taken by them before. Raiden was still involved, she couldn't be near him, I guess.

Y2Kev said:
She knew her time was up. She said, "I only get off my bike when I fall in love or die." And she wasn't in love with her son.
why would she be so obvious about this now when she's been trying as hard as Linkzg is proposing that
everyone involved was doing in order to keep the AI fooled
?

all i'm saying is that if there were ever any great examples of hideo trying to make ends meet in the mgs storyline, it's in mgs4--moreso than mgs2 at points. he's tried to cram so much in that the characters are weak and half of the plot is too convoluted, while other major events are left to our imaginations as to why they went down the way they did

at the end of the day he most likely felt that he either did a satisfactory job in revealing all the secrets of the series, or decided that the fanbase would accept whatever they saw as fact

Kccitystar

I just realized why there is a lack of codec, and honestly I don't get the complaints people throw around:
There isn't exactly anyone worth talking to with Snake as time has passed 7 years since MGS2. Everybody has lost touch or has died (Raiden, Naomi, etc.) and the only person he keeps in touch with has been the Colonel, Rose, and his only friend Otacon.

SleazyC said:
I think its because he wanted to get GW so he could move to the next steps in his plans. GW was a huge key to alot of the events that occurred in MGS4.

Liquid never had control over Ocelot. It was all Ocelot playing a role to trick the Patriots. Boss says this at the end and Ocelot himself says he was a doppelganger of Liquid during the last battle.

So he kills a ton of people for fun just to act. Wouldn't the whole point of getting Liquids arm onto him be that he could be free of the Patriots, no need to play along with them.

I've never seen so many people on my friends list playing the same game before.

If this game doesn't break all PS3 records, I don't know what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom