• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Durante said:
I'm probably missing something obvious, but what's the significance of the numbers Sunny is singing during the beginning of the early briefings?

I didnt get all of them from Act 1 briefing, so I dont know what they are but:

Act 2 = Fibonacci sequence
Act 3 = elements from periodic table

I dont think they have any relevance to the story.

Reave

Duderz said:
Very small act 3 question:
Anyone know the artist whose stuff is on the wall when you meet Big Mama? I've seen it posted around here before, but I couldn't find it. It definitely isn't Shinkawa, and it looks like whoever it is, they did a piece for MGS3, and I've only seen the first.

Here you go.

snakeeaterlarge.jpg

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
revolverjgw said:
Does anybody have a picture of

ending spoiler

Big Boss at the end? A good screenshot or capture or whatever. Just for my own personal use, I'm not cruel enough to make an avatar of him or anything

No picture of him...but I wonder how long till people can use Big Boss pics as avatars lol, would be cool to get a salute avatar again! :)

Okay, I'm playing the game a second time on Liquid Easy so I can get no alerts and no kills. Is there anything else I should strive for? Kill three or more birds with one stone, so to speak? I don't know of all the extras in this game yet, so any help is appreciated.

Darkpen

Banned
Shouta said:
Some of you guys need to read my explanations I posted earlier in the thread.

On the last fight and the person in question,
Ocelot was not simply acting, he forced Liquid's personality onto himself through the use psychotherapy, hypnosis and a few other things. He had to be convincing as Liquid and acting wouldn't do by itself.
I'm surprised a lot of people didn't catch this the first time through. The only thing I think I missed on my first time through was the optional codec call of finding out why Snake's able to do CQC.

I just finished act 2. HOLY. HELL.

I don't think it can get better than this act. It had everything. It was a compact Metal Gear Solid experience.

I do not think the rest of the game will better this act. It is not possible. I hope it can but I fear the worst.

Wow. My game of this generation.

Moz La Punk said:

I don't think it can get better than this act. It had everything. It was a compact Metal Gear Solid experience.

I do not think the rest of the game will better this act. It is not possible. I hope it can but I fear the worst.

:lol Yeah that is still baby stuff.

Darkpen said:
I'm surprised a lot of people didn't catch this the first time through. .

Thats how I saw it but then a ton of people jumped at me telling me that is not true
that Ocelot was acting always. Apparently that is what the guide says

duckroll

GalacticAE said:
Has anyone figured out any passwords for the extras menu.

There are 4 passwords that have been figured out so far afaik.
Use the first name of each of the names the Patriots AI systems are named after - abraham, george, theodore, thomas. Each unlocks a piece of iPod music.

mr stroke

to anyone thats finished the game-

Do you think there will be a part 5? I thought Kojima said this would be the last Metal Gear, but I cant imagine Sony wouldn't moneyhat him to death for a part 5.
considering-
Snake is still alive, does this leave the door open for something else?

mr stroke said:

Do you think there will be a part 5? I thought Kojima said this would be the last Metal Gear, but I cant imagine Sony wouldn't moneyhat him to death for a part 5.
considering-

The story is over for Snake. He'll be dead a few months after that cemetery scene

mr stroke said:

considering-

The story about what happend to Raiden before MGS4 is probably the best bet at a new game.

Pojo

Banned
It's stupid how Raiden had both of his arms at the end. At least chop off one, it would have made the whole "beauty and the beast" line make more sense if he didn't look like a playboy.

duckroll said:
There are 4 passwords that have been figured out so far afaik.
Use the first name of each of the names the Patriots AI systems are named after - abraham, george, theodore, thomas. Each unlocks a piece of iPod music.

I have to try this next time I play.

I wish I could use the iPod in MGO.

Strider2K99 said:
Am I the only one who wanted Snake to pull the trigger?
Yeah, I'm cruel. >_>

No, you're not the only one. I didn't only want him to kill himself, I wanted to have to press R1 to do it, similiar to Snake Eater where you had to pull the trigger to finish off in the middle of the cut scene

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MiamiWesker said:
The story about what happend to Raiden before MGS4 is probably the best bet at a new game.

I'm willing to bet money on it.

But with Kojima out of the picture, I'm not sure it will be a stealth game. I really see Ninja Gaidenish action. :D

Grayman

MiamiWesker said:
:lol Yeah that is still baby stuff.
actually act 2 was my favourite act for gameplay. It felt like the biggest area to sneak and fight in.

mr stroke said:

considering-

If there is a new game I think it will be part of a completely new storyline not connected to MGS. Metal Gear Reboot.

Fatbody

Shouta said:
Some of you guys need to read my explanations I posted earlier in the thread.

On the last fight and the person in question,
Ocelot was not simply acting, he forced Liquid's personality onto himself through the use psychotherapy, hypnosis and a few other things. He had to be convincing as Liquid and acting wouldn't do by itself.

It's similar to the twist in Total Recall. Doug Hauser had implanted Doug Quaid into himself to fool Kuato.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm in Act II.

I just beat
Laughing Octopus. Sadly, I used up 3 RPG's, 3 rations, and 1 regaine in the process. I didn't kill the beauty though
. Right now I'm trying to find
Naomi
. I'm not sure if I'm on the correct path (I kept taking the route with the amount of footprints that signified more people), but now I'm in a fork in the road where it seems only one person walked in either direction.

Also, I just got a 1000 bonus Drebin points after
I approached a matted down grassy area resembling a circular shape
. What was this?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Y2Kev said:
But with Kojima out of the picture, I'm not sure it will be a stealth game. I really see Ninja Gaidenish action. :D

I actually thought pretty much the same thing earlier today when playing MGS4.

Ninja Raiden.

mr stroke

Y2Kev said:
I'm willing to bet money on it.

But with Kojima out of the picture,

I hope to god Kojima doesn't pass his baby on to someone else. Another 6-7 years I hope hes ready to jump back into the franchise(as long as they can do something with the story)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so I was playing around on
Shadow Moses
and found that grenades use SixAxis functionality (tilt up or back to lengthen the throw of grenades). Is there any other SixAxis stuff in the game?

womfalcs3 said:
I'm in Act II.

I just beat
Laughing Octopus. Sadly, I used up 3 RPG's, 3 rations, and 1 regaine in the process. I didn't kill the beauty though
Naomi
. I'm not sure if I'm on the correct path (I kept taking the route with the amount of footprints that signified more people), but now I'm in a fork in the road where it seems only one person walked in either direction.

. What was this?
Make sure you listen to Raiden and what he says, he can help you out alot.
It was a reference to MGS2 in which Colonel was going all crazy in the AI and he's talking about how he saw a big flash of light and got obducted, there was also a voice over when you ran over it, you must of missed it

alr1ghtstart said:
Shadow Moses
and found that grenades use SixAxis functionality (tilt up or back to lengthen the throw of grenades). Is there any other SixAxis stuff in the game?
call up Rosemary and shake the controller, you'll thank me later. :lol

womfalcs3

Banned
untoldhero said:
Make sure you listen to Raiden and what he says, he can help you out alot.
It was a reference to MGS2 in which Colonel was going all crazy in the AI and he's talking about how he saw a big flash of light and got obducted, there was also a voice over when you ran over it, you must of missed it

Thanks. Ah, I don't remember that. I guess it's been too long.

ItsInMyVeins said:
I actually thought pretty much the same thing earlier today when playing MGS4.

Ninja Raiden.

Ninja's should be all about stealth, Ryu Hayabusa is a lame ninja. In real life, even ninja parades are invisible, but that guy is a bull in a china shop. I think a cool stealth game could be built around a ninja with superhuman abilities. Super jumps, lightning fast dashes, ultra fast running and super strength... killing people before they knew what hit them.

Back from my ban and this is the first place I wanted to post in. Beat the game on Sunday afternoon and it was one awesome, awesome ride. Point-form summary!

Pros
- Excellent character development. You care about each and every one (yes, even Johnny), and Sunny is just the most adorable virtual kid ever.
- Acts 3-5, and the Epilogue. The first two Acts were pretty good, don't get me wrong, but everything really starts coming together story-wise after Act 2.
- Replayability.
New Game+ including those funky dolls?
Fuck yeah!
- Excellent conclusion to a six-game series spanning two decades.
- The fan service was spot-on.
I'm looking forward to exploring Shadow Moses more in-depth.
-
Big Boss... disarming Snake... and saying "Let it go."
So fucking awesome.

Cons
- The Beasts.
When the original Beasts trailer came out I was pretty hyped up. The mechanical, synthetic-sounding laughs of Wolf; Mantis hovering in the air, motionless and silent; Octopus hanging in the air by her neck/head/back while her tentacles carry her... it was all just so disturbing and creepy. But in the end, they're just hot women underneath. I was expecting mutations and disfigurement! Especially with Wolf.
- Raiden. He kicked ass, no question,
and his self-sacrifices were memorable, but I wanted to know why and how he became nothing more than a head and spine. Time for a side-story...
-
Maryl + Johnny vs. The Frogs.
Ugh :|

Observations
-
The medical and cybernetic advancements of 2014 are amazing.
-
Solidus deserved better. A hell of a lot better.
-
Those rolling things with the hands felt really out of place.

rikichi

finally beat the game!

so fucking awesome!

love the line between
(big boss and snake) when big boss said to snake that he never thought of him as a son but respected him as a soldier and as a man. shit got me a little emotional

gonna start my 2nd play through now :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_leech_ said:
-
Those rolling things with the hands felt really out of place.
Chaff grenade.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Seiken said:
Oh MY, nice little secret here:

Put these in instead of the
code
Otacon tells you to at
Shadow Moses.
You will get the Access Denied scene but afterwards you will get the bonus.

14893 100,000 DP
78925 iPod song
13462 iPod song
i just typed it in, 13462 give you the end credits medley from Policenauts. awesome!

Solo

chespace said:
It is what it is and for what it is MGS4 is a crazy fun and exciting rollercoaster ride.

True that. I wasnt trying to rag on the game at all, as I had a great time with it too, so dont get me wrong. I just start rolling my eyes whenever that inevitable topic comes up.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
About Liquid Ocelot's behavior
Ocelot is pretending to be Liquid to fool the Patriots, the Patriots are using Snake ..(helping you with Rat patrol and Drebin) so Ocelot also has to fool you! by fooling you the player, he is fooling the patriots! While playing the game you weren't doubting Ocelot's intentions, that happens after completing the game. you were doing exactly what Ocelot hoped you would do and for that, again, he had to fool you, the player. 4th wall broken again!

About the last fight..
Ocelot knew he was going to die, he just wanted to have a fight again with the man he admired (BB) as Snake is a clone he could relive being with BB again before his death, the fight doesnt kill Ocelot it was the new FoxDie.

Nizz

Funny, reading this thread reminds me of those declassified UFO papers :D Off to play again, beginning Act 3. I love this game...

Mifune

Mehmber
womfalcs3 said:
I'm in Act II.

I just beat
Naomi

. What was this?

Follow the
small footprints left by her high heels.

I always just looked for the tiny heel print. So tiny it's easy to miss.

Moz La Punk said:

OK I just started playing act 3 and shit just gets weirder :lol

Can anyone tell me
how to keep following the resistance folks, and shoot the PMCs with a sleeping dart while not scaring the resistance folks away? Every time I try to clear the path for them, they make a run...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alr1ghtstart said:
Shadow Moses

It's not the sensor. It's the amount of pressure you apply to L1.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fatbody said:
It's similar to the twist in Total Recall. Doug Hauser had implanted Doug Quaid into himself to fool Kuato.

The twist in Total Recall is downright genius compared to the big reveal at the end of MGS4. Also, that twist doesn't take a big dump on all the epic moments from the movie, which can't be said for MGS4. Seriously, basically every single epic moment from MGS2 and 4 is a joke considering what we know now.

I'm not even sure who the villains are in this series anymore.
Guess it's just a matter of perspective, but I think it really degrades the whole storyline.

LALILULELO said:
About the last fight..
Ocelot knew he was going to die, he just wanted to have a fight again with the man he admired (BB) as Snake is a clone he could relive being with BB again before his death, the fight doesnt kill Ocelot it was the new FoxDie.

It's lame. I'm sorry, but that sequence was balls to the wall machismo, and the big twist at the end shits all over it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
It's not the sensor. It's the amount of pressure you apply to L1.
Oh my god, I'm in the mood of sending you money on paypal for this info! I'm constantly guessing in MGO because I really thought it was random at some point :lol

THANK YOU, SIR!!

Omikaru

Holy shit, I was playing Act 3 on my third play through and
I lost track of the resistance guy, so I switched my NV on to see him. And there he was, crossing the road, but from the doorway where he came from, another figure was peeking around the corner. I couldn't make it out at first, but then I noticed the hat - it was the three Dwarf Gekkos/Scarabs in the longcoat and top hat that appear in the later cutscene, stalking me/the resistance guy!
:lol

Amazing.

It's the little touches that make the gameplay in this top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom