• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

[HP]

Kaz is such a dumbass hypocrite in this game. Everytime he's on screen I just shake my head. Fuck Kaz.

Yeap, I'm so fed up with him I wanna get him the fuck out.

I haven't finish the game yet, but I smell he's gonna turn into some sort of villain later on in the story.

Hystzen

I've only played for twelve hours but what has happened to Ocelot, he just seems like a bland, generic character now. Maybe it's just Troy Baker's delivery. The gameplay is sublime but I'm not fully on board yet.

I not managed wrap up chapter 1 yet but I don't even get point of Ocelot in this game he adds nothing to narrative. He goes on about our revenge but he was not even around nine years ago so it not his revenge be part of

Dimmle

I guess we're supposed to appreciate how Ocelot has matured or something? But he was a petulant dick in Snake Eater and he's Snidely Whiplash in Metal Gear Solid 1 so... these puzzle pieces are not fitting. He's just kinda super boring so far.

Henkka

Banned
Just beat 42.

I've never felt a tension like this before

Seriously though,
the skulls are some of the most OP bullshit I've ever seen in a videogame. I didn't really pay attention to how they worked when I did 29, but goddamn, 42 forces you to analyse them thoroughly... Not only do they have 2 health bars, but the second one takes like three times more damage than the first one. And if that's not enough, once you've chipped them down to around 1/3, they start regenerating their shields. Yeah, they get the entire first health bar back in an instant, and they can do it multiple times. And they have a one-shot ranged attack they can do to you from off-screen.
Holy fucking shit, Kojima.

Nevertheless, finally beating them was awesome!! It's been a while since I did something that hard in a game.

[HP]

So far ITT

Some people: Voice over is shit, characters are shit, story is shit.
Some people: But... but... gameplay is so glorious.

sora87

Middle game spoilers, my staff
are dying like flies, fucking so annoying. Tryna progress the story as fast as I can but yeah, still lost loads

Medical Platform Spoilers?

Is there any significance to music being played on the Medical Platform?

I'm wandering around and all these different songs are playing but I cant find them.

Edzi

Middle game spoilers, my staff
are dying like flies, fucking so annoying. Tryna progress the story as fast as I can but yeah, still lost loads

The game should have given you a hint on which soldiers to quarantine. Just look at the batch that was already quarantined and see what traits they all have in common. Once you figure that out, enjoy the insanely annoying process of going through every single one of your soldiers to pick out the infected.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah Ocelot is lame as shit in this game. He's great in MGS3 and MGS1 onwards, but he brings nothing to to table in 5.

Soulflarz

Banned
[HP];178151909 said:
So far ITT

I think the former outweighs the ladder. As good as the gameplay is, it doesn't outweigh the other aspects.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
[HP];178151909 said:
So far ITT

The gameplay is straight up addicting. It's the main thing driving me forward other than the desire to see just how horribly this game can actually end. That, and I've already put 50 hours into it so I'd damn well better finish.

edit: to be fair, I'm definitely having fun with the game despite all of its glaring flaws

braves01

Banned
Did Kojima or Konami ever say whether they had any mobile plans regarding FOB or motherbase? I really wish I could atill manage staff and do combat deployments from my phone when I'm not actually playing.

Reedirect

Did some side-ops after Mission 43... unlocked Mission 47. What the hell happened with 45 and 46? Went to Mother Base to trigger a cutscene, got nothing.

Okay that's weird. No matter how many times I shower or change my suit the blood won't go away. Is there a reason for that?

I'm around mission

dealer-

I guess we're supposed to appreciate how Ocelot has matured or something? But he was a petulant dick in Snake Eater and he's Snidely Whiplash in Metal Gear Solid 1 so... these puzzle pieces are not fitting. He's just kinda super boring so far.

Yeah it just doesn't seem plausible because he had so many quirky and interesting mannerisms in MG3 and MGS1 and now he just seems like a regular joe.

dmshaposv

I understand why kaz is always angry and somewhat hypocritical. He was played like a damn fiddle and he wants revenge from CIFFFFFFFEEER.

Ocelot, is like a completely different charcater from the one we know in mgs3 and mgs1/2. He lost his russian accent and know is a bland rootin tootin drill sargeant. I dont mind the charcater or baker VO - it just this isnt the ocelot we know...

Henkka

Banned
Is it true there's some missable
Quiet story stuff
in Chapter 2? I read that somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread.

Dimmle

I think the former outweighs the ladder. As good as the gameplay is, it doesn't outweigh the other aspects.
If you're like me and have been playing obsessively for more than 40 hours, the strengths are clearly outweighing the problems.

Man, this thread is so negative.

The negative aspects are more glaring when contrasted with an otherwise outstanding game. I think most people are more up on the game than their posts indicate.

The gameplay is straight up addicting. It's the main thing driving me forward other than the desire to see just how horribly this game can actually end. That, and I've already put 50 hours into it so I'd damn well better finish.

edit: to be fair, I'm definitely having fun with the game despite all of its glaring flaws

i still think it should have been called Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 2.

Or just Commandoes and have no plot but just awesome tactical missions around the world! :D No hope in Konami to deliver a spinoff game using the same engine though...

Liamc723

I think you just came in during a cranky spell. Plenty of people have been splooging over the game calling it their GOTY if not an all-time great.

I have no idea how people can even come to this conclusion though. There's SO many glaring flaws that it just cannot be considered one of the best.

Yeah, I just picked it up. After Mission 18, go back to Masa Village and interrogate the guards until one points out the blueprint - actually called a First Aid Manual.

dang son. does he just help you fulton soldiers youve knocked out already? or do you just command him to knock out and fulton a soldier? or would you have to do the second with multiple commands?

Hystzen

i still think it should have been called Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 2.

Or just Commandoes and have no plot but just awesome tactical missions around the world! :D No hope in Konami to deliver a spinoff game using the same engine though...

Well Peace Walker was going be MGSV so then this game should be MGSV-2

Dimmle

Yeah it just doesn't seem plausible because he had so many quirky and interesting mannerisms in MG3 and MGS1 and now he just seems like a regular joe.

It's especially frustrating given how interesting he is in previous games. He's honestly the best character in the series.

I have no idea how people can even come to this conclusion though. There's SO many glaring flaws that it just cannot be considered one of the best.

I'm only at mission 22 but I've already had more fun with MGSV than any previous game in the franchise. The only one that even comes close is 3.

Real Hero

It is easily my GOTY.Best Metal Gear, best stealth game ever, best open world game since red dead. I don't care about the story, the story is how I went about the missions

Top Bottom