• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Pretty disappointed with the music in this game. It's not bad but it doesn't have that HGW charm, weakest music of the series without question.

Even the 80s music. Other than a few, there are so many obvious choices like someone just went to a local Karaoke, copied the available playlist and used that as reference.

edgefusion

Do I have to do these subsistence and extreme missions? How do I continue with the story? I got to episode 33 but it's hard as balls and I don't particularly want to do it. Do I have to go through this slop to get to the proper story?

Qblivion

so the first time i attempted an infiltration I failed it a few minutes in because the server lost connection, now I am trying to defend my base but I can't because "failed to create session" fuck this stupid broken shit.

Liamc723

It depends on what kind of MGS fan you are and what you value most in the franchise. I'm the type who clocked double digit hours in the MGS1 & MGS2 demos and appreciated the open-ended sandbox elements of the gameplay, its innovative systems, the A.I , the attention to detail, etc.. above all else. MGSV has been a dream game in that regard, setting a new standard for moment-to-moment player freedom, stealth, shooting mechanics.

And everything else? A disappointing mess.

Chariot

Man, this thread is so negative.
You should see the Spoiler Thread. Seldom seen so much hate for various things. From hating Witcher 3 to hating Troy Baker to hating MGS 4 to hating MGSV to hating MGS2 to hating Kojima to hating Konami to hating snake_eater_raiden's patronizing attitude.

Has anyone been able to log on to the servers on XB1? Its been over a week since launch, the site says the servers are working but I still havent been able to log on. I just want to get my GZ save. Think its a little silly to have it on a server rather then located locally on the console.

Carbonox

You should see the Spoiler Thread. Seldom seen so much hate for various things. From hating Witcher 3 to hating Troy Baker to hating MGS 4 to hating MGSV to hating MGS2 to hating Kojima to hating Konami to hating snake_eater_raiden's patronizing attitude.

That's the vocal minority for you. Definitely puts a downer on the threads but it's best to ignore.

I'm confident and comfortable knowing this is probably my favourite Metal Gear game. I haven't finished the game so cannot comment on the story beats at the end but everything else is fucking superb and what story presentation is there I am enjoying. My game of the gen at the moment.

Ame

Do I have to do these subsistence and extreme missions? How do I continue with the story? I got to episode 33 but it's hard as balls and I don't particularly want to do it. Do I have to go through this slop to get to the proper story?

Those are optional. If it's not highlighted in yellow, it's not important.

Furyous

I only just realised that when you hit R1/RB on the deployment screen, it swaps between loadouts. I assume the changes you make to each one are saved, but I've not yet tried it.

Regarding Honey Bee:
You can't extract the Skulls with your current equipment. When you have the right upgrade, you can actually use lethal weapons on them and still extract them However extract them before you kill the last skull, because they all just fly away after that. Use the Honey Bee for now, and worry about your score on another run - most early-stage weapons are useless for the Skulls

What upgrade should I look for to take on them and extract them? I don't want to waste time repeating the bees mission if I can't extract them.

Well.. for me, there's only two things really. Story and gameplay. If you don't really care about the story like me (or think it's nonsense), the gameplay is top-notch and MGSV is up there with MGS3 as my favorite.

Macrotus

Different people have different personal values.
Some people value plot over gameplay,
some value gameplay over plot. And some value both.
My friend didn't give shit about any of the story in the MGS series and he just purely loved the gameplay which Nameless is talking about. (He's not Nameless btw lol)
So to him, its not a disappointing mess.

To me, gameplay has more weight regarding the MGS series,
but I do care for the plot as well. So I have mixed feelings.
But that won't be stopping me from replaying the game.
Because I have the same feeling as Nameless about the gameplay.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
TPP is pretty much the Star Wars Episode I of this series. I feel like the hype for it outdid every other entry, to the point where it was too much for the fanbase's own good.

Yes, this is even with taking into account the MGS2 Raiden bait and switch. V was supposed to be the game where shit was going to fucking go down.

Me? I personally don't mind it not living up to what I expected storywise, but I totally understand anyone that felt gutted.

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm with you, I dislike them. I guess I'll be doing side ops until I hear otherwise from the base.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think my main issue with V and stories comes from what is said above me- the whole story is set up for this insane plot where we all went "is that ____"

However, yes, ___ is indeed ____, and theres not much more to say about said plot point. The plot is...kind of bad. And I've been spoiling anyone who talked about MGSV with me in the past two years since I called the ending beyond the concept of calling it to straight up explaining it out back then, and it's still correct. Can't say I like that a ton to be honest.

CHC

Well.. for me, there's only two things really. Story and gameplay. If you don't really care about the story like me (or think it's nonsense), the gameplay is top-notch and MGSV is up there with MGS3 as my favorite.

I do love MGSV gameplay but there are huge problems. Traversal and getting around is just NOT fun at all, the world has totally arbitrary rules about what you can and cannot get on top of and it makes navigation and determining your options a really annoying prospect. I mean sure the bases are open but the decisions aren't always very interesting in terms of how to approach, you basically just pick a direction to approach from and crawl your way in.

The core gameplay feels amazing sure, but the way that the open world is handled isn't really great. On top of that certain features from the old games could have really added a lot here. Things like food from MGS3 (make it optional but it could give temp bonuses or resources) and the whole pick-a-side mechanic from MGS4. I find the world feels really static and after a while it gets annoying having ONLY enemies that mindlessly shoot you on sight occupying the towns.

Chariot

That's the vocal minority for you. Definitely puts a downer on the threads but it's best to ignore.

I'm confident and comfortable knowing this is probably my favourite Metal Gear game. I haven't finished the game so cannot comment on the story beats at the end but everything else is fucking superb and what story presentation is there I am enjoying. My game of the gen at the moment.
It's too funny to ignore. The hate gets so over the top sometimes. The giant Troy Baker hate post should've be pinned somewhere because it's so hillariously angry, it's like a letter from Kaz to Skullface.

TPP is pretty much the Star Wars Episode I of this series. I feel like the hype for it outdid every other entry, to the point where it was too much for the fanbase's own good.

Yes, this is even with taking into account the MGS2 Raiden bait and switch. V was supposed to be the game where shit was going to fucking go down.

Me? I personally don't mind it not living up to what I expected storywise, but I totally understand anyone that felt gutted.
I don't say the game can't be critized, the ending certainly lackluster, the story weak and the characters mostly non-existent. Except for Quiet who is getting weird mostly. But the Spoiler Thread is over the top and jumps from hating on thing to another. There are only small patches were people actually discuss something about the game. Thus the moments where the Spoilerthread contains less spoilers than the OT at times, because somebody is currently hating something that is not the game and people throwing passive-aggressiveness at each other.

atomico

Is there an upkeep cost for Mother Base soldiers?

I dunno what to do with the lousy dozen E/C/D/B volunteers I get every 10 minutes, plus I got tired of dismissing them. So I just let them go on the Security detail (I've been playing mostly offline, anyway), but I wanna know if I'm wasting money in the process.

Anyone tried playing a mission as Hideo or is he locked in R&D or Intel?

He's locked, along with
Ocelot, Quiet, Huey and a few others
and a few others. FWIW, if you just want to break the monotony,
you can play as the female soldiers

Henkka

Banned
It's too funny to ignore. The hate gets so over the top sometimes. The giant Troy Baker hate post should've be pinned somewhere because it's so hillariously angry, it's like a letter from Kaz to Skullface.

Oh god I can't wait to dive into that thread, probably seeing the true ending tomorrow finally

tariniel

Is there any way I can get soldiers to wear helmets and armor less often? It's pretty frustrating and I have most fun sniping people with the tranq, and it makes it almost impossible when all the soldiers start wearing helmets. I'm only on mission 18 if it makes a difference.

Liamc723

You think a bland and lifeless open world along with repetitive missions is fucking superb?

shiba5

Is there any way I can get soldiers to wear helmets and armor less often? It's pretty frustrating and I have most fun sniping people with the tranq, and it makes it almost impossible when all the soldiers start wearing helmets. I'm only on mission 18 if it makes a difference.

Send your guys out on the combat missions that destroy helmets/flashlights/body armor/etc...

Braag

My friend told me about some "demon" system in the game. When you kill/knife someone there's that gong sound. Kill too many people and blood stays on you.

I always wondered what the hell that sound effect is supposed to mean.
I guess I should stop stabbing people.

Window

Post Episode 26/Important Side-Op question:
Can I put Eli's challenge on hold to clear the disease or should I do that now before progressing with the main story. Don't want to miss that but at the same time not incur any more deaths than I already have.
Thanks.

You can wait on it. I did it immediately after mission 29.

I only notice the gong when I knife them after CQC'ing them. Is that right?

WHAT?!

So I can't get them off? Really?

I always wondered what the hell that sound effect is supposed to mean.
I guess I should stop stabbing people.
That's just what my friend said. We might want to get someone else's opinion. He said blood stays on your clothes longer and
your horn gets larger
. Again, no idea if there's any truth there, but between the gong sound and Son Of Sparda not being able to get the blood off, I would assume it's true.

shiba5

You think a bland and lifeless open world along with repetitive missions is fucking superb?

There could be more stuff to do, but I'm honestly enjoying this world. I'm so tired of open worlds being "ubisofted" - where there is so much shit on the map that it's just overwhelming.

CHC

Man, this thread is so negative.

It's a pretty fair mix I'd say. There is nothing else really like this game and it has some absolute genius in it, but there are also some serious flaws. It's a polarizing game for sure, more so than MGS4 even.

Nose Master

Mission 14 is annoying as fuck, and kind of showing off how awful the checkpoints are. Perfect stealth for 25 minutes while I wait for this dude to get to where he's going, random asshole from a country mile away spots me and then I get shot to death in about half a second.

shiba5

Mission 14 is annoying as fuck, and kind of showing off how awful the checkpoints are. Perfect stealth for 25 minutes while I wait for this dude to get to where he's going, random asshole from a country mile away spots me and then I get shot to death in about half a second.

Hehe, you can literally run directly to his location where he has ONE guard.

Rocketz

Has anyone been able to log on to the servers on XB1? Its been over a week since launch, the site says the servers are working but I still havent been able to log on. I just want to get my GZ save. Think its a little silly to have it on a server rather then located locally on the console.

I just logged on 20 minutes ago. I havnt had any issues since they "fixed" it.

MrS

Banned
Try 144
liIlQDM.jpg

I do love MGSV gameplay but there are huge problems. Traversal and getting around is just NOT fun at all, the world has totally arbitrary rules about what you can and cannot get on top of and it makes navigation and determining your options a really annoying prospect. I mean sure the bases are open but the decisions aren't always very interesting in terms of how to approach, you basically just pick a direction to approach from and crawl your way in.

The core gameplay feels amazing sure, but the way that the open world is handled isn't really great. On top of that certain features from the old games could have really added a lot here. Things like food from MGS3 (make it optional but it could give temp bonuses or resources) and the whole pick-a-side mechanic from MGS4. I find the world feels really static and after a while it gets annoying having ONLY enemies that mindlessly shoot you on sight occupying the towns.

I can't really agree with you here aside from the navigation bit. That's annoyed me on a fair number of occasions. But the traversal and navigating the world hasn't really presented many problems for me, especially between having a Jeep and/or D-Horse to get to places.

The world serves it's purpose for me, which is to be a large sandbox in which the missions take place and in giving me flexibility to tackle the missions. I simply can't agree with the "crawling" bit because it simplifies the options and approaches to too far of a degree.

Repetitive? I don't know if I can agree with that. Most of the missions have been pretty varied. But it's clear that people prefer/dislike the game for different reasons. Gameplay takes a massive priority for me and in that regard, MGSV is tied with 3 as my favorite.

Top Bottom