• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Timeaisis

I think we already knew this game was gonna be a divisive game. Even among the hardcore fans of the series.

=
I'm loving it still. Not my favorite MGS or anything, but it's still fantastic. It has about as many flaws as any other open world game I've ever played, but the gameplay is so much better.

Dunno...maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I'm 40 hours in and still having a blast.

Well Peace Walker was going be MGSV so then this game should be MGSV-2

True, but that game was already very different, well, i think this should be called:

Metal Gear Solid 6: Portable Ops 3: Peace Walker 2

And now it's just confusing as it's plot is so heavily tied to this numbered sequel.

Have I seen the true ending, Mission
or is there another one ? If so, what do I have to do ? I have some tapes left and one yellow dotted mission to rescue
----Quiet----

I will listen to the tapes tomorrow.

This is my first Metal Gear game since 2.. I am really liking the back story tapes etc since I missed out on a bunch of the story from MGS3 and PW.

I am only up to Mission 12 (Just unlocked Africa) but so far I am really enjoying it. Love the game play mechanics. Love trying new things and finding out weird things you can do.

Sneaking around and fulton'ing an entire base is just too much fun. Though I did wonder if that last troop was thinking "Where did everyone go?"

I was wondering where the Metal Gear 'theme' went off to though.. I had totally missed the copyright thingy. Sad.

Still, one of the better games I've played this year. Scared since everyone seems to say it doesn't end well, but I've gotten my monies worth so far I think.

Dimmle

I'm loving it still. Not my favorite MGS or anything, but it's still fantastic. It has about as many flaws as any other open world game I've ever played, but the gameplay is so much better.

Dunno...maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I'm 40 hours in and still having a blast.

I'm right there with you. I sensed a burn-out ten hours ago but the game has consistently delivered interesting mission conceits and doles out story beats at just the right pace.

Muffdraul

I've only played for twelve hours but what has happened to Ocelot, he just seems like a bland, generic character now. Maybe it's just Troy Baker's delivery. The gameplay is sublime but I'm not fully on board yet.

In the beginning of the game, Troy Baker does a fairly decent impression of Patrick Zimmerman's original Ocelot voice, with a bit of gruffness. Then later on that goes away and he speaks in a normal voice with some Texas twang. It's sloppy, but I blame the director more than the actor. The director should have caught it in the booth.

Kama_1082

Banned
Just finished CH 32 help and advice please

so I saw eli walk off and found out that the kid died, what do I do now? Can i go see where it happened, if so, where? And advancing the story, I pass the next two missions, right?

I understand why kaz is always angry and somewhat hypocritical. He was played like a damn fiddle and he wants revenge from CIFFFFFFFEEER.

Ocelot, is like a completely different charcater from the one we know in mgs3 and mgs1/2. He lost his russian accent and know is a bland rootin tootin drill sargeant. I dont mind the charcater or baker VO - it just this isnt the ocelot we know...

Miller is a dick. He's completely hypocritical and never thinks straight, always blinded by his lust for revenge.

Ocelot hasn't really been himself since MGS2. MGS3 Ocelot was completely different from the earlier games too. Kojima has always been bad at this. I hated how different some characters have been between games, some of them might as well be different characters entirely. Kojima is terrible at character development or character consistency. And MGS4 Ocelot wasn't even Revolver Ocelot at all, just Liquid Ocelot. And the guy has never had a Russian accent, he's always had American accents in the games. The fact that Ocelot is always changing in every game kind of makes him an enigma. Best Ocelot will always be MGS1 and MGS2 Ocelot.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I guess this is the real Ocelot, when he's just being himself and not on a mission to screw someone over or be a quintuple agent or whatever.

I do wish he would do more in game though.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just finished CH 32 help and advice please

so I saw eli walk off and found out that the kid died, what do I do now? Can i go see where it happened, if so, where? And advancing the story, I pass the next two missions, right?

Pretty sure you need to do the repeat missions or side ops to unlock further content.

shiba5

dang son. does he just help you fulton soldiers youve knocked out already? or do you just command him to knock out and fulton a soldier? or would you have to do the second with multiple commands?

I haven't tried it yet. I grabbed it and had to stop and make dinner.
Stupid food.

Finally set up my loadouts in a real way.

1 - Stealth with all the tools for difficult missions, 45k GMP and tons of resources
2 - Pure combat for Skulls and heavy infantry, 40k GMP and some resources
3 - Get in and get out for Side ops with the S rank restricting camo thing, 28k GMP and low resources.

Muffdraul

i still think it should have been called Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 2.

Or just Commandoes and have no plot but just awesome tactical missions around the world! :D No hope in Konami to deliver a spinoff game using the same engine though...

Oh man, if we're going to get into franchise entry titles, this is what I think it should be:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear 3: Twin Snakes
Metar Gear 4: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear 0: Snake Eater
Metal Gear 5: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear for Baby Toy Handhelds: Peace Walker
Metal Gear 6: The Phantom Pain (w/ the GZ portion at the beginning as a proper prologue)

shiba5

I guess I'm ok with the story so far because this is my first Metal Gear game. Seems like a typical game plot - but maybe that's why some are upset?

Dimmle

I guess I'm ok with the story so far because this is my first Metal Gear game. Seems like a typical game plot - but maybe that's why some are upset?

Hahaha, I think you nailed it. Honestly though, even Phantom Pain starts a little crazier than most other games. It's just a little more reined in than 2 or 4 (which are completely bonkers by any standard).

CassSept

While core gameplay is great my initial overly enthusiastic reaction to the game has calmed down significantly. When every soldier (even when replaying early mission!) started wearing helmets, riot gears, riot shields, improved weaponry and whatnot my enjoyment of the game fell considerably. It's not simply a matter of difficulty, rather this has severely limited options you can employ when infiltrating any given outpost. Add to that the absurd eyesight of enemies in Africa compared to their soviet peers and how op crawling is compared to other forms of movement and it's starting to be very disappointing. You can clear many missions easily by simply using Quiet to distract the enemies and crawl past them but where's the fun in it.

[Boss battles]
Besides sniper fight in the valley Skulls are some hot bs. Intimidating at first, but not much more than a nuisance on subsequent meetings/playthroughs

Furyous

How do we save our loadouts? Can someone spoil me on one of the
Honey Bee
mission?
Is it possible to capture the skulls alive and use their tech? Would you recommend using the riot SMG or the Tranq pistol?

Liamc723

I actually wish "Subsistence" was an option in more missions. That was one of my more favorite missions in the entire game. I hate being forced to carry a primary around.

Sure, but
forcing players to complete harder versions of missions or grind side-ops is unfair.

brau

I think this is the best MGS in a lot of ways. Considering the game for what it is and trying to do. I think its exceptional. It still has a lot of flaws and things it needs to work on. So its sad to know this will not happen. At least not with Kojima at the helm.

I have to say tho... the writing is not the best. But compared to previous MGS... i can see Kojimas growth. Its infinitely better. Even without comparing the game to previous MGS, i think it does a lot of it right, and the narrative is very interesting. I am not gonna say its an example. But it definitely sets the bar as something that should be taken into consideration and expanded.

The gameplay... this game and JC2 imo are true sandbox experiences. Just... everything that is badass usually happens during your control. Its like GTAV and how you have short stories you want to share of random things that happened while you were playing. But instead of you just looking at the random event, you are part of it. I think that is very special.

Bottom line... i think Kojima has balls to not go and do the same things over and over, and redefine himself every time he makes a game. I praise his ideas, even when they don't work. Because he is laying the ground work for other people.

I am still sad Silent Hills will not happen.

Anyways. i am glad i got that out of my chest now :)

Edzi

Man, this thread is so negative.

It's been said before by me and some others, but this game really does feel like a game made for people who didn't like older MGS games. A lot of people new to the series or those who complained about the past games seem to adore it, while long time fans (who are clearly loving the amazing gameplay) are understandably put off by the removal of so much of what made MGS special.

Woffls

How do we save our loadouts? Can someone spoil me on one of the
Honey Bee
mission?
Is it possible to capture the skulls alive and use their tech? Would you recommend using the riot SMG or the Tranq pistol?
I only just realised that when you hit R1/RB on the deployment screen, it swaps between loadouts. I assume the changes you make to each one are saved, but I've not yet tried it.

Regarding Honey Bee:
You can't extract the Skulls with your current equipment. When you have the right upgrade, you can actually use lethal weapons on them and still extract them However extract them before you kill the last skull, because they all just fly away after that. Use the Honey Bee for now, and worry about your score on another run - most early-stage weapons are useless for the Skulls

Sure, but
forcing players to complete harder versions of missions or grind side-ops is unfair.

To get the true ending or whatever? Doesn't bother me. I think the MGS story is a bunch of non-sense anyways.

I'm doing most of the missions and side-ops because I find the core-gameplay fun.

Caode

Oh, hello there....

CArOB3w.jpg

..he'll fit right in at Mother Base.

I assume I have finished the game for now and saw the true ending. Will take a 1-2 day break from it now and come back to finish thing that are undone. Was a great time, I have to go read on the scrapped stuff now. Good luck :)

daveo42

Banned
Post Episode 26/Important Side-Op question:
Can I put Eli's challenge on hold to clear the disease or should I do that now before progressing with the main story. Don't want to miss that but at the same time not incur any more deaths than I already have.
Thanks.

Nameless

I have no idea how people can even come to this conclusion though. There's SO many glaring flaws that it just cannot be considered one of the best.

It depends on what kind of MGS fan you are and what you value most in the franchise. I'm the type who clocked double digit hours in the MGS1 & MGS2 demos and appreciated the open-ended sandbox elements of the gameplay, its innovative systems, the A.I , the attention to detail, etc.. above all else. MGSV has been a dream game in that regard, setting a new standard for moment-to-moment player freedom, stealth, and shooting mechanics.

Top Bottom