• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hasney

The majority of people play Metal Gear Solid for the story, not the gameplay. And that is why the game is very disappointing, because there isn't much story here. Simple as that.

Nah, I played it for the gameplay always. Story was fun, but secondary and in this one, they ramped the former up but the latter isn't great... And this is easily my favourite MGS game.

SomTervo

africa is a cool map, a nice change of pace after a bunch of time in the desert, but i was really hoping it would have more jungle and less plains. seems totally different from the old gameplay demo i remember

Same here. I can only think of one bit which is jungle, and I don't remember seeing any of the bit from that classic gameplay demo that first showcased Quiet. That looked amazing and I've seen nothing like it. I wanted loads of jungle to rival MGS3. It's 95% savannah from what I've seen. I think the only bit I haven't been to is the very south.

usp84

The majority of people play Metal Gear Solid for the story, not the gameplay. And that is why the game is very disappointing, because there isn't much story here. Simple as that.

Please speak for yourself and leave "the majority" out.Simple as that

Dammit! She didn't get out of the sick bay until I killed the last one, then I got the notification she was out. Was fun to do alone though, a tense 20 minute battle with my sleeper sniper against all of them

Just need to bear in mind that these are unprocessed, so still need to play the waiting game with it.

Hmm. Is there a way to increase processing speed?

Hasney

Hmm. Is there a way to increase processing speed?

According to the guide, it processes every 72 minutes of playtime. The higher your base development team, the more gets processed every time it refreshes.

The speed is always the same, the amount can be upgraded.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked countless times already, but questions for mission 20
Do I have to beat the man on fire by knocking him into that pool? I fuck it up every time I try. I have hit him a couple times with those water towers, then they tell me to get to the landing zone (which I can't, because the tunnel is blocked), then the dude comes back to life...

convo

You know, I've seen this a lot, but while it's always true that any game has content which gets cut, is that really the reason for the "reuse" of missions? It seems that people want to believe that such a flaw had to be the result of the game being rushed and that in a perfect world it would never have happened, but having played the shit out of Peace Walker previously, I think it's also possible that it's also something Kojima intended as part of the design.

Chapter 5 of Peace Walker is basically the exact same thing as how people have described Chapter 2 of TPP. I'm not there myself yet, but it sounds identical. A long "post-game" continuation where you are encouraged to replay harder versions of old missions, new and harder versions of side ops, and just basically do optional content until certain flags trigger and you get a new story event. It might not be great design, but considering he's done this twice now in the exact same way, I don't think it's a coincidence or compromise.
Seriously people are putting EVERYTHING on this cut stuff and transferring it to gameplay elements in the game they don't even fully comprehend yet. I see people getting to the first ending and not know about the aftermath and already blaming the cut content at a low completion mark where they couldn't possibly apply it too. Shit is dumb, the game is just out and people need to wise up a little bit to get the point of this games existence.

Menthuss

Sorry if this has been asked countless times already, but questions for mission 20
Do I have to beat the man on fire by knocking him into that pool? I fuck it up every time I try. I have hit him a couple times with those water towers, then they tell me to get to the landing zone (which I can't, because the tunnel is blocked), then the dude comes back to life...

I beat
him by blowing up the water storage tanks whenever he was near one. If you do this enough times you will defeat him.

Alo0oy

Banned

Call the chopper to your location. You can also try fultoning him by
dropping ammo crates exactly at his location when he drops, the crate will hit the girl and she'll leave, you'll be able to Fulton him but he'll cut the ropes on the way, but he won't be there any more so you'll be free to leave.

I'm on a mission, and I've just been informed that Mother Base is full, so staff have been dismissed.

Does anybody know how it's decided which staff are dismissed? Is it the most recent ones you fultoned, or do the ones with the worst stats in the waiting room get dismissed instead? Hopefully the latter.

Hasney

I'm on a mission, and I've just been informed that Mother Base is full, so staff have been dismissed.

Does anybody know how it's decided which staff are dismissed? Is it the most recent ones you fultoned, or do the ines with the worststats in the waiting room get dismissed instead? Hopefully the latter.

Think it's the latter, but do they appear under former staff in the staff management screen? Could check there if they do, totally forgot it existed when my staff were being dismissed last night.

Alo0oy

Banned

Does anybody know how it's decided which staff are dismissed? Is it the most recent ones you fultoned, or do the ones with the worst stats in the waiting room get dismissed instead? Hopefully the latter.

Don't worry, Miller only dismisses the incompetent staff.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I beat
him by blowing up the water storage tanks whenever he was near one. If you do this enough times you will defeat him.

Call the chopper to your location. You can also try fultoning him by
dropping ammo crates exactly at his location when he drops, the crate will hit the girl and she'll leave, you'll be able to Fulton him but he'll cut the ropes on the way, but he won't be there any more so you'll be free to leave.
Thanks! Immediately after posting I beat
him by just doing the water tank beside the pool. No clue how I fucked it up so many times in a row before!

Blow up the gas tank next to the pool as he walks past it

Owensboro

According to the guide, it processes every 72 minutes of playtime. The higher your base development team, the more gets processed every time it refreshes.

The speed is always the same, the amount can be upgraded.

Bah, that sucks. So now my OCD is going to kick in where I want my internal game "Played Time" to be accurate, but I also want to leave the game idling at the ACC and just processes all the materials I have.

Bah, I just need to leave it idling. I have so many unprocessed materials.

Alo0oy

Banned
He also complains when your staff is full and you fulton an soldier with bad stats. Had to chuckle. Got this because I use fulton always as clean-up in big bases.

I never got this message and I Fulton everyone, my capacity is over 1,200 though, so I have a lot of Cs and Bs, and everyone I encounter is an A or higher right now.

Hasney

Bah, that sucks. So now my OCD is going to kick in where I want my internal game "Played Time" to be accurate, but I also want to leave the game idling at the ACC and just processes all the materials I have.

Bah, I just need to leave it idling. I have so many unprocessed materials.

It doesn't seem to do anything in the ACC, unless it does count and then when you're back in the field, that's when you get the notification.

Alo0oy

Banned
yeah

Thanks, I hope they're cool and worth it though, because her costumes in development are completely useless re-colors that don't even look good.

I hope she has Eva/The Boss costumes or something like that, that would be cool instead her generic costumes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think I got rank E or something for honey bee...

Don't even care, since I don't have time for this 'look at me, I only get S-ranks and nothing but' dick waving contest you guys are doing.

Just play normally your first time through.

Then if you want you can join us dick wavere and replay the missions for S.

mf.luder

Here's a question. If I'm going through trying to complete mission tasks, do I have to complete the mission? Let's say one mission has side quests that say extract prisoners at location Y.

If I run right to location Y, extract them and then call in the chopper will I get credit for them?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Have you finished the game? It's not just the lack of new missions, it's the lack of any resolution to the story.

The story is pretty much resolved
at the end of Chapter 1. Chapter 2 is mainly about closing up side-character story arcs.

Owensboro

It doesn't seem to do anything in the ACC, unless it does count and then when you're back in the field, that's when you get the notification.

Hrmm. I could swear I've gotten a notification when back on Mother Base at least. Maybe I'll try there.

Anyone know a safe place to leave the game idling so you process materials? I guess worst case I could just find the smallest camp, put (buddy spoiler)
Quiet on "Cover Me"
, clear out the camp, and then hide in a toilet or something.

Also, I notice you can't build FOBs when you're offline, and progress on FOB struts stops when you lose your connection. Does this mean that when you're offline the FOB's materials processing doesn't work either?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Was this posted?

http://www.konami.jp/mgs_portal/jp/info/?id=677

***[ Important Notice ] METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN - Non-Progression Bug (Additional Info)
As previously communicated, a critical bug has been identified that may halt progress and corrupt game save data under certain circumstances. Further investigation has revealed the exact trigger of the bug, so we would like to share these details to enable players to effectively avoid the issue.

The bug is triggered only under certain circumstances in Episode 29 or Episode 42 when Quiet is used as your buddy. However, you may still safely use Quiet in these missions if you use the Butterfly Emblem throughout the mission or avoid raising your Bond Level with Quiet to MAX during the course of the mission.

The team is currently working on a patch to fix the bug and repair any save data affected by the issue. Further updates will be announced soon. In the meantime, we apologize deeply for the problem and thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve the issue.

*This issue is known to be present for Xbox 360®, Xbox One, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®4 and Steam®(PC).

Top Bottom