• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Alo0oy

Banned
Here's a question. If I'm going through trying to complete mission tasks, do I have to complete the mission? Let's say one mission has side quests that say extract prisoners at location Y.

If I run right to location Y, extract them and then call in the chopper will I get credit for them?

The game saves progress at check points, so you have to continue until the next check point, I don't know if that's how it works with mission tasks, but that's how it works for everything else.

mf.luder

How to you unlock rubber bullets to create STN weapons ?

I'm aat like mission 26 and still haven't seen them.

You can unlock actual bullets? I didn't know that.

You might need to develop a previous version of a weapon. The stn version could be *3 or *4.

Hasney

Hrmm. I could swear I've gotten a notification when back on Mother Base at least. Maybe I'll try there.

Anyone know a safe place to leave the game idling so you process materials? I guess worst case I could just find the smallest camp, put (buddy spoiler)
Quiet on "Cover Me"
, clear out the camp, and then hide in a toilet or something.

Also, I notice you can't build FOBs when you're offline, and progress on FOB struts stops when you lose your connection. Does this mean that when you're offline the FOB's materials processing doesn't work either?

So the FOB struts carry on, but in real time on the server side. I'm not sure how the online materials then process, what I might do when I get home is start disconnected and see if anything happens to my processed material when I actually connect.

Mining on the FOBs happens while you're offline.

Idling on Mother Base did work for me, didn't get a notification until I started moving around again, but it happened pretty quick.

Hasney

Debating whether I should switch to kb/m for multiplayer, I've been comfy couching the singleplayer so far.

It's really similar so I wouldn't bother, it's not going to give a massive advantage.With so many cheaters on PC anyway, I doubt any control scheme would. MGO could be a different story.

I lost 2 invasions because of this.

I already emailed Konami and told them that I'm not gonna accept losing any more progress because of their shitty servers.
Dude it gave me 3 opportunities to defend against the same person and each time it failed to connect lol
And then there's the issue of my disappearing nuke that I posted about yesterday.
Damn game is just starting to get on my nerves. I think I'm just going to take a break until MGO hits.

So I don't know if I'm just unlucky but I'm only at mission 16 and the enemy has decided to throw pretty much every type if defence at me - now including snipers on the field.

Other than doing dispatch missions to prevent enemy equipment from bring distributed for a while - can I lower those stats?

I feel like playing around and doing lots of side missions is going to make the game far harder in the long run which is both a shame and kind of refreshing

Sifl

I understand the codename you get during your mission grade is dependent on how you completed the mission. So how the hell did I get a butterfly for (spoilers: late game mission) Mission
40, Quiet Extreme
?

shiba5

I understand the codename you get during your mission grade is dependent on how you completed the mission. So how the hell did I get a butterfly for (spoilers: late game mission) Mission
40, Quiet Extreme
?

Complete a mission where Quiet does most of the heavy lifting. Basically - set her loose to neutralize everyone.

Alo0oy

Banned
Dude it gave me 3 opportunities to defend against the same person and each time it failed to connect lol
And then there's the issue of my disappearing nuke that I posted about yesterday.
Damn game is just starting to get on my nerves. I think I'm just going to take a break until MGO hits.

I paid for microtransactions, so if I lose a lot of resources because of their servers, I'm not gonna let Konami go until they give me back those resources server-side. I paid for those coins specifically for the MP.

I really hope MGO doesn't suffer from this.

ok gaf can you settle something for me?
im getting conflicting answers on the net about heroism netting you high ranked soldiers in the field.
i just hit 185k
ive read s ranks appear at 200k, 300k and even an answer claiming it dosent change the soldiers you see out there.

most recently i read that 150k is the top threshold and that s ranks shoud appear/volunteer more often now.

WTF

Chariot

ok gaf can u settle something for me?
im getting conflicting answers on the net about heroism netting you high ranked soldiers in the field.
i just hit 185k
ive read s ranks appear at 200k, 300k and even an answer claiming it dosent change the soldiers you see out there.

most recently i read that 150k is the top threshold and that s ranks shoud appear/volunteer more often now.

WTF
No, you need 150k for hero. You can get a lot bigger. Basically you hit a treshold everytime you fill the circle.

Chariot

is there a definitive threshold where its been confirmed that higher tier soldiers will be on the field?
or volunteer?
I don't know for a fact, but I am at over 200k now and barely have any crap soldiers in the field anymore. Everyone is at least Elite and some are even legendary. So yeah, I think it influences the field too.

I don't know for a fact, but I am at over 200k now and barely have any crap soldiers in the field anymore. Everyone is at least Elite and some are even legendary. So yeah, I think it influences the field too.

cool
im at all A++ on the field and ONE S
but i havnt begun scouting since i hit 185k
ill shoot for 200k and begin kidna-i mean "recruiting"

heroism farming is so easy anyway
1600 every 90 seconds

NeoGiff

One of the best things I'm getting out of this is that Robin Atkin Downes is an incredible voice actor. Before this, I had only really been familiar with him from campy roles such as No More Heroes' Travis Touchdown and Kaz in Peace Walker. In MGSV, he's on another level entirely.

Miller's role in MGSV does feel like a surrogate for what Big Boss' arc should be, though, which is pretty disappointing.

Had a realization this morning. I think my adoration for mgs v is greatly centered around it being quite similar to Megaman Legends 2 in the amount of secret stuff and easter eggs and things that you can completely miss if you don't search every nook and cranny. They aren't similar games in gameplay, obviously, but the depth and world building and onion layers of content... I'm feeling those same feels all over again haha.

Roll > Quiet, though. All damn day.

Chariot

One of the best things I'm getting out of this is that Robin Atkin Downes is an incredible voice actor. Before this, I had only really been familiar with him from campy roles such as No More Heroes' Travis Touchdown and Kaz in Peace Walker. In MGSV, he's on another level entirely.

Miller's role in MGSV does feel like a surrogate for what Big Boss' arc should be, though, which is pretty disappointing.
Kaz is so believable I am not sure if this ia still acting or just the voice actor having a bad day in the studio.

Genio88

The story is pretty much resolved
at the end of Chapter 1. Chapter 2 is mainly about closing up side-character story arcs.

Not at all,
i agree that Chapter 2 is a bit rushed but it is necessarely to understand Quiet story and especially the Venom Snake real identity, which is not the real Big Boss, plus finishing the game/chapter 2 you'll unlock very interesting tapes about Zero/Cypher, which explain a lot about the entire story and characters motivations

Ricky_R

Wow, first time I know about that dude in video games. I recognize him from movies and TV, but I had no idea he voiced Navarro, Tenzin and Talbot from the Uncharted series (for example).

He does a great job with Miller as well.

So what are the best weapons to go with? I have like 3 million gmp to spend and a bunch of weapons I can research. I'm just not sure what's worth spending it on. I'm at mission 23 currently.

Kaz Miller's VA is so damn good. The emotion is blurringly real.

So what are the best weapons to go with? I have like 3 million gmp to spend and a bunch of weapons I can research. I'm just not sure what's worth spending it on. I'm at mission 23 currently.

Keep upgrading your tranq pistol. Get the tranq rifle. It's a game-breaking glory item. Killer Bee. Hand of Jehuty.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FOB probably, unless you have some quick and easy side ops available. FOB is how I've got most of mine though.

Or just hold up, get down, where are the others, spit it out people. +5 for each. May not be as much but you don't need to worry about retaliation invasions.

What I'm wondering is, why the hell haven't I gotten the codename "Hero" yet? Apparently you get that at 100,000 Heroism, and... I'm wayyyyy beyond that.

Should I be going for perfect stealth or just kinda roll with it when things go south. Also can you stealth in vehicles early on? I just kinda drive up and they always spot me.

Hypron

Mission 18 was pretty infuriating but my final successful run was pretty great.

If the game just let me go back the way I came from to pick find the kids it'd have all been over without a hitch, but when I tried going that way Miller was all like "Are you leaving him there!?". Trying to escape without getting spotted and without killing anyone took me a tons of retries. I didn't destroy the helicopter before and it just seemed impossible to get through that part without at least damaging it. So I had to tranquilise all the guys in the last area before Pequod's landing zone with my tranq sniper, and then quickly request a rocket launcher and damage the helicopter before the search party caught up with me.

I don't actually know how I didn't get spotted around the landing zone on my successful retry. It was a complete clusterfuck. I spent at least 5 minutes throwing flash and smoke grenades all over the place in the hope of preventing the search party guards from spotting me/the kids. In the process I even ended up knocking out all the kids with a flash grenade, so I had to transport them over my shoulders instead of waiting for them to run to the chopper. Then at some points the guards decided to run through the smoke so I had to tranquilise them all super fast. I was panicking so I just went for body shots, and sure enough my silencer broke when there was still a guy standing. I shot him twice more without the silencer and for some reason it didn't cause an alert phase (thank fuck for that).

Ha, and I'm forgetting that at the same time there were some guys approaching Pequod from the other side and there was no way I'd get there on time. Thankfully spamming the voice command to make Quiet tranquilise them worked.

So yeah, I thought I'd end up completely hating that mission but the end of it became such a glorious mess I can't even be mad anymore. I even ended up getting an S even though I must have retried 10 times.

When do new weapons appear on the unlock screen? I'm only on Mission 6 but when I got back to base I can see a list of weapons, most of which I don't fulfil the criteria for so I can't research yet. But when (and why) do other weapons appear on that list?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No, though that's interesting. I guess it explains why I didn't have issues with Mission 29. I had the emblem on and have had it on since people said to have it if
I wanted to keep Quiet

When do new weapons appear on the unlock screen? I'm only on Mission 6 but when I got back to base I can see a list of weapons, most of which I don't fulfil the criteria for so I can't research yet. But when (and why) do other weapons appear on that list?

GMP is met to develop it. Sometimes it'll show weapons you can't develop yet because of it. Unless you're in a weapon/specific subject tab. In which case it'll show things you can research irregardless of GMP/levels meeting.

Drencrom

Okay, (mission 25 spoilers)
my soldiers are dying because of this disease that is going and ocelot/miller is talking like I'm supposed to know the source of the disease with their hints about their mouths and quiet etc. But I can't find a link for shit. Am I really supposed to figure this shit out before it's too late? I quarantined the two medical staff members you picked up in mission 24, they were in contact with the disease so I thought it was a nobrainer but the disease is still killing my staff...

I guess I just want a clarification; am i really supposed to figure this out on my own or is this some story thing that will be resolved on it's own later in a mission?

Chariot

my soldiers are dying because of this disease that is going and ocelot/miller is talking like I'm supposed to know the source of the disease with their hints about their mouths and quiet etc. But I can't find a link for shit. Am I really supposed to figure this shit out before it's too late? I quarantined the two medical staff members you picked up in mission 24, they were in contact with the disease so I thought it was a nobrainer but the disease is still killing my staff...

I guess I just want a clarification; am i really supposed to figure this out on my own or is this some story thing that will be resolved on it's own later in a mission?
Both
You can figure it out or you can rush the story - which you should do anyways at that point. Don't do anything else, just punch one stoey mission after the next. Don't idle, don't go back to MB, don't do side-ops and don't run in circles for hours.

54-46!

It will be resolved
a couple of missions later
but you can figure it out yourselves by
comparing the quarantined staff and see what they have in common.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Extremely late game (missions 40+) spoilers/question:
Okay so the Skull Face story (Chapter 1) has come to its conclusion. I've done the clean up job in Mother Base quarantine. And I just got some tapes where Huey is accused of parasite shenanigans. Do I just keep playing side ops or what?

dealer-

Kaz is the best character in the game by a mile and the VA is one of the reasons why unlike with Big Boss and Ocelot. I love that he seems to be going more off the rails as the game progresses.

Top Bottom