• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not an MGS fan, that's why I loved the 50 hours of gameplay that I just went through without caring that there wasn't a good story or any compelling characters to keep me interested. Game is still my front-runner for GOTY, because I haven't enjoyed myself in a sandbox game like that in a looooong time.

I just uh... don't want to play it anymore.

I think my issue is I love MGS for the story and then the great gameplay. When you cut out the thing that makes it so wacky, so well known...I feel like a major thing is lost?

The gameplay is fun. Just...not 100+ hour fun?

Braag

Mission 16 Spoilers:

Are you supposed to be able to beat Mission 16 by killing the Skulls at this point in the game? It seems impossible without some kind of "Honey Bee" like guided rocket launcher.

I ended up just stopping the convoy close to the point where the exit the airport, luring the skulls away with some magazine throws, fultoning out the truck, immediately taking an APC and driving full speed to the mission border.

I just hopped in one of the armored vehicles and destroyed them.

So how are you supposed make money once you beat the game? The missions get HUGE pay cuts every time you do them so after the second run they're basically worthless, combat deployments take way too long for how much money they give, and FOBs are a mixed bag with payouts, not to mention that it could bite you in the ass when they come for revenge.

The best I've come up with it farming the vehicles on Extreme Backup, Backdown and selling them, but it takes forever and if by some chance you miss an APC and don't get the bonus tanks to spawn then you barely make anything.

Mission 16 Spoilers:

Are you supposed to be able to beat Mission 16 by killing the Skulls at this point in the game? It seems impossible without some kind of "Honey Bee" like guided rocket launcher.

I ended up just stopping the convoy close to the point where the exit the airport, luring the skulls away with some magazine throws, fultoning out the truck, immediately taking an APC and driving full speed to the mission border.

I used C4 to lay traps. Used magazines/decoys to lure the Skulls to the C4 and blew them to hell. Killed 3 in one blast and finished off the last with help from Quiet. Ended up with an S rank.

So if I'm going back and completing mission tasks, is there a faster way of ending the mission and saving the task progress without actually finishing the main mission objectives?

mr stroke

6 missions in now and someone please tell me this game gets better?

MGS4 is one of my favorite games of all time(I prefer linear story driven games) and while I realize this is light on story all I feel like I am doing is
chopper->over take base->chopper and repeat

brau

MGS4 is one of my favorite games of all time(I prefer linear story driven games) and while I realize this is light on story all I feel like I am doing is

This is pretty much it. Format doesn't change.

Mission 16 Spoilers:

You can, especially if you go directly
to the airbase at the beginning of the mission and kite them around the geometry. It's hard, but doable with a rocket launcher/grenade launcher. I found the open hangars with broken plans in them work the best.
You can also
stealth that mission by sneaking around back before the APCs get there, triggering and luring the Skulls away with decoys and mags, then fulton the truck and high tail it.

Ishida

Banned

You are going to be doing that for a loooooong while...

There are some pretty cool and interesting missions with several ways to tackle them, but the vast majority is indeed what you say.

Good luck.

Is there a reason to completely take over bases? I usually just find the personnel or bits I want to fulton away and leave the rest untouched and move on.

I also don't leave the world after every mission. I'll extract if I've raised the alert level of the AO or I've completed about 3 to 5 ops. You can always call in supply drops if needed, and changing buddies in the field is simple and quick too.

Then again I fucking live for this kind of open world format, and doing it with stealth action is simply incredible.

I have a question about this Quiet stuff, if someone wouldn't mind answering:

When she leaves, is it part of the story? Like, is there a cutscene showing her go- with BB/Kaz/Ocelot etc. reacting to it, or does the story build to a point where is makes sense for her to go, and then she's just no longer available?

Basically, am I going to miss out on some part of the story by keeping her around?

Ferrio

Banned
Is there a reason to completely take over bases? I usually just find the personnel or bits I want to fulton away and leave the rest untouched and move on.

I also don't leave the world after every mission. I'll extract if I've raised the alert level of the AO or I've completed about 3 to 5 ops. You can always call in supply drops if needed.

Unlocks emblems and stuff.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I also don't leave the world after every mission. I'll extract if I've raised the alert level of the AO or I've completed about 3 to 5 ops. You can always call in supply drops if needed.

I only go back after like 6 to 10 missions/side-ops.

Unlocks emblems and stuff.

I know the outposts gives you emblems, but does clearing the towns and other areas as well?

cackhyena

This is easily looking like it's GOTY for me, with the exception of fallout 4 topping it, if it plays it's cards right. I am seeing the faults in this open world construct, though. As shitty as it is, I'd have preferred more story peppered between missions with these giant open levels you are just dumped to. Not having to hoof it here and there. Still, game play side? I'm, as addicted as ever. A shame this engine won't be put to more use.

Soulflarz

Banned
When subs don't match the words being said :/

No context to the point where this isn't a spoiler to the point where I won't tag it

Your weapon privledges suspended.
Said Your weapon privledges have been suspended

Ferrio

Banned
It's bullshit that you can't fulton child soldiers. Sorry kids, I'm too lazy to run your asses back to the heli you'll have to continue living a shit life.

brau

It's bullshit that you can't fulton child soldiers. Sorry kids, I'm too lazy to run your asses back to the heli you'll have to continue living a shit life.

In case this is very important to you.
You get an item later to be able to fulton them.

MMaRsu

You should be good. Just to be safe, don't do mission
without doing it.
Edit: You also have to keep it there forever.

Haha wtf keep it there forever what about my awesome Dog man?

Shit is crazy. But like that other guy ask is there a good reason for it to happen if you dont equip that?

Glass

Post mission 43 -
My god the Code Talker and his tapes and anything to do with these parasites is so fucking dull, it's turned me completely off this story. I used to enjoy listening to tapes but I'm really struggling here.

Sifl

Haha wtf keep it there forever what about my awesome Dog man?

Shit is crazy. But like that other guy ask is there a good reason for it to happen if you dont equip that?
Haven't done it myself, but there is a reason. If you do the emblem trick you can't 100% the game, but you can complete the main story. The events involving that character just won't occur, and their story never gets resolved.

Timeaisis

What do I need to know about this not being able to complete the game bullshit. I don't want to get spoiled, I just want to know what I should/shouldn't do.

Squishy3

What do I need to know about this not being able to complete the game bullshit. I don't want to get spoiled, I just want to know what I should/shouldn't do.
Don't use Quiet as a buddy in mission 29 and 42. That's the only progression blocker that I know of.

KarmaCow

I know the outposts gives you emblems, but does clearing the towns and other areas as well?

Each little node controlled by enemies is basically an outpost, even including stuff like an airport.

Post mission 43 -
My god the Code Talker and his tapes and anything to do with these parasites is so fucking dull, it's turned me completely off this story. I used to enjoy listening to tapes but I'm really struggling here.

The combination of his cadence and the bullshit bio-babble is really sleep including.

brau

Why do people keep saying this? The engine was first used years ago with pro evo, and soon there will be 3 pro evo's on fox engine.
Konami isn't just suddenly going to stop using their engine.

Can't wait to see how they integrate the FOX engine with pachinkos.

Top Bottom