• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Corpsepyre

Banned
Finished Chapter 1 and I don't want to play any more, because I enjoyed the 50 hours I've already put into it and I feel like playing any more would just start damaging that.

The story is so bad and the cutscenes so poorly directed and boring to watch, the thought of having to go through more of the game is really bumming me out.

What do you mean? You don't want to see how the game ends? :/

Audioboxer

About to play mission 46. Before I do what are these vague rumours online about something to do with the 11th of September? Unfounded nonsense?

bryanee

I figured out the
quarantine
thing almost immediately. Problem is it takes so damn long to fix.

It took me a solid 15 minutes to sort that out. Just another thing to add to the list of things that bored me in this game.

This mission I did after that though was soooo good.

duckroll

What are all your favourite episodes?

Only up to 32 so far. So it's a tentative list.

Absolute favorites would be 6 (Honeybee), 13 (Oil Refinery), 21 (Airport Inspection), 28 (Mansion). Also really liked 12 (Huey), 17 (Intel Agents), 20 (Devil's House), 23 (Eli), and 30 (OKB Zero).

bryanee

I'm just going to tell you because you won't figure it out on your own and it'll save you a lot of deaths:
anyone who speaks kikongo has it

I saw it 40 seconds after being told to figure it out.
Too many signs pointing towards languages playing a part

This game would be a perfect 10 if it wasn't for these stupid time limits. Why do you keep me from progressing through the fucking game!?

tumblr_mym8u9hAxs1rtby7to3_r1_250.gif

Santar

I can't for the life of me find the door to
Emmericks lab
on Mother Base.
I've been running around the r&d platform for ages now, I just can't find that darn door.
Does anybody know where it is?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Only up to 32 so far. So it's a tentative list.

Absolute favorites would be 6 (Honeybee), 13 (Oil Refinery), 21 (Airport Inspection), 28 (Mansion). Also really liked 12 (Huey), 17 (Intel Agents), 20 (Devil's House), 23 (Eli), and 30 (OKB Zero).

Do we get to see scenes from the last few trailers?

Rocketz

I'm just going to tell you because you won't figure it out on your own and it'll save you a lot of deaths:
anyone who speaks kikongo has it

Thanks I assumed it had something to do with what
lanuage someone spoke
but I wasn't sure which one. The process of finding them sucks.

I haven't had to do any grinding in
chapter 2
whatsoever. I've also avoided most of the
subsistsnce and extreme
missions and still have a steady steam of new content like always. Of course I've been doing the important side ops, Main missions but other than that there's been no barrier to progress. Is it possible that's because of all the side ops I have been doing since the start of the game? Or do you just need to do the yellow side ops and main missions like I've been doing? I mean, literally no grinding at all for me.

Sifl

I can't for the life of me find the door to
Emmericks lab
on Mother Base.
I've been running around the r&d platform for ages now, I just can't find that darn door.
Does anybody know where it is?
I couldn't find it either, so I left then went back and found it immediately. I could've sworn it was a door I checked before too. It's on the lower level, and it has a poster next to it.
Edit: There's also like nothing to do there, lol

Audioboxer

I haven't had to do any grinding in
chapter 2
whatsoever. I've also avoided most of the
subsistsnce and extreme
missions and still have a steady steam of new content like always. Of course I've been doing the important side ops, Main missions but other than that there's been no barrier to progress. Is it possible that's because of all the side ops I have been doing since the start of the game? Or do you just need to do the yellow side ops and main missions like I've been doing? I mean, literally no grinding at all for me.

Nah grinding wasn't needed for me either. I just fultoned everything. Only thing I'm struggling with is fuel resources to expand to max capacity.

I guess the real grind is for S soldiers.

Does Mission 28 lead into Mission 29 at all?

I wanna use Quiet for 28 but I'm scared incase 29 starts straight after and I don't get the chance to swap buddies. Stupid bug

brau

Does Mission 28 lead into Mission 29 at all?

I wanna use Quiet for 28 but I'm scared incase 29 starts straight after and I don't get the chance to swap buddies. Stupid bug

i guess this depends how the bug works. Is it triggered at the start of the mission? cuz you can always fulton your buddy out and replace it with DD, or D Horse.

Restricting you to 10 R&D developments at a time is annoying as fuck. Just another pointless, arbitary restriction alongside the 1 hour waiting times for higher-end gear.

jett

D-Member
For those actively participating in FOB, are you having fun with it? I haven't taken part yet but I've been invaded twice now. It has me salty, now I just want revenge. Not sure if this is brilliant game design or terrible. Will give this a shot once I've actually learned the details of the system, navigating the menus assigning staff and what not. I don't have a firm grasp on it atm.

Nah. It's repetitive. Everyone's motherbase has the exact same layout so it's not like you're getting some different experience every time you invade some douche.

Santar

I couldn't find it either, so I left then went back and found it immediately. I could've sworn it was a door I checked before too. It's on the lower level, and it has a poster next to it.
Edit: There's also like nothing to do there, lol

Thanks for the explanation, found it!

KarmaCow

Anyone else think (ch 1 end spoilers)
XOF existing as the second half of FOX to back it up is a really stupid plot point?

About that,
I think it was just a way to make it seem like Snake wasn't too different from Skull Face, two side of the same coin and all, trying to show how Snake could turn into what we know about him but Snake is far more bland than that somehow. It's also not even explained, being vague allusions of Skull Face saying he did shit that it was unnecessary.

Hasney

For those actively participating in FOB, are you having fun with it? I haven't taken part yet but I've been invaded twice now. It has me salty, now I just want revenge. Not sure if this is brilliant game design or terrible. Will give this a shot once I've actually learned the details of the system, navigating the menus assigning staff and what not. I don't have a firm grasp on it atm.

Absolutely love it. It's so goddamn tense sometimes and the rewards are fantastic. Working on the platinum now, so my ranking is slipping, but I'll take being the 149th best at that mode for a short period.

I have not yet unlocked FOB, but I've read that players can steal your stuff even if you're offline.
What exactly can they steal? Anything that I put on the FOB and resources produced by that FOB? Or even stuff that is generated by motherbase?

Basically, what I want to know is if having FOB is worth it even with players being able to invade. Like, if the only stuff I can lose is from FOB, then my offline progress should not be hindered compared to playing offline w/o FOB forever, no? I don't really see the big deal in that case, apart from being annoying that the online surplus created by FOB can be stolen.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how FOB works though.

Also, at the beginning at the game there is this message:
If you want to play offline without worrying about coming under attack from rival players, select ONLINE DISCONNECT under the Pause Menu.
Is that a lie because your FOB is still reachable on the servers and the next time you connect it will just steal everything you had? But then it MUST be only the FOB stuff, no? Otherwise how should the game take away soldiers etc. if I already had them let go during offline play and used up all the resources etc.?

In principle I could play the game offline forever to avoid FOB if I skip on the daily bonus etc. as I have the game/PS4 in suspend mode anyway. Have started the game (and the lengthy launch progress) only once within a week while constantly playing lol

Top Bottom