• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Just got the first 'ending':
Well, that was a whole load of nothing. Little bit of story at the start of the game, thirty hours where nothing of consequence happens, then a big old exposition dump at the very end. Skull Face reveals his evil master plan in that bizarre jeep cutscene, with a break in the middle where I guess Kojima realised he couldn't write enough to fill such a long drive so he cued up Sins of the Father, then five minutes later he gets crunched under some random wreckage. What a wet fart of a global threat.

It's bad enough that Kojima basically showed the entire game in trailers; now I've hit the first ending and I haven't seen any of the things I've been excited for all this time. Baby Liquid and Baby Mantis literally haven't uttered a single word between them. I haven't heard anything from Zero. Big Boss' descent into evil bad-guy-ness is a non-starter.

Bring on
Chapter 2, I suppose. My hopes are not high.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I cant find the fuel tank or any other way to go back to the ACC or motherbase
A Quiet Exit

Griss

I am definitely at the point where the story has completely stopped making sense, in particular the story surrounding
Eli.
(Late game spoilers, I just beat
)

I mean, Ocelot says
'He's pissed off that you beat him, you need to beat him again.' What? I never beat him. I never did anything but rescue him from a fucking boat in a warzone via fulton. What are you even talking about? Why is this kid so pissed off when he gets off the chopper in the first place? And why doesn't he ever speak?

Then there's that scene where he sneaks on the chopper at the end of Chapter 1. Does Mantis clone him or what? Two Elis? Or a metaphor. I thought Mantis cloned Eli or teleported him into the Metal Gear or something (otherwise how is the machine being controlled - it's not a person or an illusion and doesn't have an AI so Mantis needs a pilot) but no, he's still there in the chopper. Made no sense. I mean, Mantis has no idea who Eli is, never met him, doesn't know he's on that chopper. So why does he appear there? What is happening there? Were they partners from the start? Why is something so important not outright explained? Who is doing this? WHOOOOOOO

There's that side op where you have to go beat the shit out of Eli, and I have no idea why. Throw him in the fucking brig, that'll calm him down. Dude's running loose on your base with a knife, for god's sake. Nah, let's beat the shit out of him, break his arm and let him go. That'll warm him up to us. Then Eli blatantly murders a fellow kid and everyone's cool with it. Oh okay, whatever. Ocelot's like 'he has a bit of an attitude' over the comms. Sure, murdering fellow kids is a 'bit of an attitude' yep - boys will be boys!

Later they know he's plotting an uprising and seem relaxed about it, they go and rescue the kids he sent out. Then they're interrogating him (first time they deal with him at all since Snake beat the shit out of him, and the first time he spoke in the whole game, right at the end of his arc) and for whatever reason Mantis and the Metal Gear just ride in to his rescue like he's King Shit of the World, Big Boss of children and psychics oh and Metal Gear can fly guys. So do they call an alert? Nah fuck it, it's like "Shit well done Eli, you did it, well done, run along now". Kaz is getting some intel but I don't really feel like they're going after him urgently with everything they have the way they should be. I can see a 'Sahelanthropus Extreme' fight coming up with the big 'He's Liquid' reveal, but it's all so cak-handed.

And as for Eli calling Snake 'father', what? Why? Only we as fans can know he's liquid. He can't know himself, or at least there's no indication that he can know. And if you're new to the series it will make no sense at all. I made a point of listening to all the 'White Mamba' tapes as they came available too, and they gave absolutely no answers as far as I remember.

Not only that but there was no pacing to any of this. If the answer to any of this is 'it's in one of the tapes you missed' then just... fuck it all, anyway. Fuck it. Let's see where it goes, anyway. I'm near the end for sure.

Just got the first 'ending':
Well, that was a whole load of nothing. Little bit of story at the start of the game, thirty hours where nothing of consequence happens, then a big old exposition dump at the very end. Skull Face reveals his evil master plan in that bizarre jeep cutscene, with a break in the middle where I guess Kojima realised he couldn't write enough to fill such a long drive so he cued up Sins of the Father, then five minutes later he gets crunched under some random wreckage. What a wet fart of a global threat.

It's bad enough that Kojima basically showed the entire game in trailers; now I've hit the first ending and I haven't seen any of the things I've been excited for all this time. Baby Liquid and Baby Mantis literally haven't uttered a single word between them. I haven't heard anything from Zero. Big Boss' descent into evil bad-guy-ness is a non-starter.

Bring on
Chapter 2, I suppose. My hopes are not high.

Had the exact same experience.

Carbonox

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

So I was doing some side-ops(nothing important, just usual stuff) with Quiet, and decided it's time to take a break and come back to mother base. When I came back I was greeted with a cutscene showing Ocelot and Kaz torturing Quite, saying that she is infected?! And Big Boss is acting like he knew about it?!!!!

Okay, seriously what the fuck? I feel like I missed on some cutscenes/tapes or something. They didn't even asked me to come back to mother base. Is that normal or have I missed something?

I had the EXACT same response. I felt as if I missed something because it was incredibly out of place and made no sense in the context of what came prior. Like I get questions needed to be asked about her situation but THAT scene was way too much of a leap from nothing. Needed something prior.

Spazznid

Best part about mission 43 is
in the lower floor when they all salute you. You shoot one of them and the rest hesitate lowering their hands but slowly afterwards they raise their hands again because they know they are next. Shit was really messed up lol.

Probably the stronkest MGS moment for me, maybe except for the death of the Boss.

FUUUUUK
Post mission 43 spoils

After you hear Venom Snake say they'll make diamonds from the ashes and carry them into battle, check out your Diamond Dogs Patch in the ACC. There's legit diamonds in the patches. This game pulling at muh strings.

Qwell

So... I need 228k of fuel to upgrade all my MB. This is so cruel :(
If only the processing of the resources could be done when I'm not playing...
This is why my computer has been running MGSV for 3 days straight now, no joke. I should probably focus more on playing, but I get caught up in the upgrade system and just want some of the best stuff. Finally got my base development to rank 4 last night, took 4 hours to actually build the upgrade ...uugggg.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I am definitely at the point where the story has completely stopped making sense, in particular the story surrounding
Eli.
(Late game spoilers, I just beat
)

I mean, Ocelot says
'He's pissed off that you beat him, you need to beat him again.' What? I never beat him. I never did anything but rescue him from a fucking boat in a warzone via fulton. What are you even talking about? Why is this kid so pissed off when he gets off the chopper in the first place? And why doesn't he ever speak?

Then there's that scene where he sneaks on the chopper at the end of Chapter 1. Does Mantis clone him or what? Two Elis? Or a metaphor. I thought Mantis cloned Eli or teleported him into the Metal Gear or something (otherwise how is the machine being controlled - it's not a person or an illusion and doesn't have an AI so Mantis needs a pilot) but no, he's still there in the chopper. Made no sense. I mean, Mantis has no idea who Eli is, never met him, doesn't know he's on that chopper. So why does he appear there? What is happening there? Were they partners from the start? Why is something so important not outright explained? Who is doing this? WHOOOOOOO

There's that side op where you have to go beat the shit out of Eli, and I have no idea why. Throw him in the fucking brig, that'll calm him down. Dude's running loose on your base with a knife, for god's sake. Nah, let's beat the shit out of him, break his arm and let him go. That'll warm him up to us. Then Eli blatantly murders a fellow kid and everyone's cool with it. Oh okay, whatever. Ocelot's like 'he has a bit of an attitude' over the comms. Sure, murdering fellow kids is a 'bit of an attitude' yep - boys will be boys!

Later they know he's plotting an uprising and seem relaxed about it, they go and rescue the kids he sent out. Then they're interrogating him (first time they deal with him at all since Snake beat the shit out of him, and the first time he spoke in the whole game, right at the end of his arc) and for whatever reason Mantis and the Metal Gear just ride in to his rescue like he's King Shit of the World, Big Boss of children and psychics oh and Metal Gear can fly guys. So do they call an alert? Nah fuck it, it's like "Shit well done Eli, you did it, well done, run along now". Kaz is getting some intel but I don't really feel like they're going after him urgently with everything they have the way they should be. I can see a 'Sahelanthropus Extreme' fight coming up with the big 'He's Liquid' reveal, but it's all so cak-handed.

And as for Eli calling Snake 'father', what? Why? Only we as fans can know he's liquid. He can't know himself, or at least there's no indication that he can know. And if you're new to the series it will make no sense at all. I made a point of listening to all the 'White Mamba' tapes as they came available too, and they gave absolutely no answers as far as I remember.

Not only that but there was no pacing to any of this. If the answer to any of this is 'it's in one of the tapes you missed' then just... fuck it all, anyway. Fuck it. Let's see where it goes, anyway. I'm near the end for sure.
Chill bro.
Wait 'til you complete the game.
Everything is pretty much explained

This is why my computer has been running MGSV for 3 days straight now, no joke. I should probably focus more on playing, but I get caught up in the upgrade system and just want some of the best stuff. Finally got my base development to rank 4 last night, took 4 hours to actually build the upgrade ...uugggg.

Maybe I should do the same. I kinda hate the idea to have my PS4 running for a long time but like you I'd really like to upgrade that shit.
How many processed resources can you get in an hour (roughly) ?

Griss

Chill bro.
Wait 'til you complete the game.
Everything is pretty much explained

The idea that a bunch of poorly paced noise is redeemed by an explanation to clarify everything at the end doesn't jibe with me. It needs to be at least understandable while you play through it or you just get bored. I was bored when
Sahelantrhopus was breaking free. Why wouldn't I be? I had no idea what was going on or why.
It's fine to hide layers and layers of intrigue in a plot, but the basic action on screen needs context.

Quiet is an example of it being done right. You know
she's a Cipher Agent, and you understand why she gives up her mission for boss. Who she is and her motivations in the present are clear enough. After that, the reason why she can't speak is the intrigue, and that is dealt with in time. With Eli, from the very start I was just shaking my head saying 'huh?'

Is it just me, or does Ocelot not really do much....in this game, story or gameplay wise?

Like he could be removed, replaced with a new character, and nothing would change?

Greecian-

So I've finished mission
, and I've done all of the side ops that are unlocked. Am I really forced to replay missions I've already done in order to unlock more of the story? That's really dumb.

Sifl

Is it just me, or does Ocelot not really do much....in this game, story or gameplay wise?

Like he could be removed, replaced with a new character, and nothing would change?
No one important is doing anything really. 90% of the missions involve saving random people, getting random cargo, killing/fultoning random commanders who mean nothing.

wiibomb

oh man, what a let down :(

I can't believe that such basic stuff that is present in Peace Walker and 4 is not in this game (not the music transfer specifically). Is there at least a decent music selection?

peace walker never supported external music, did it?

btw, I'm just asking, because I heard the PC ver. was going to be patched for it, but I want to know if there is such an option for PS4, or even a work around

Just did Mission 16, which was giving a lot of people trouble a couple of pages ago-
If you can get the convoy to stop, and the skulls appear, I figured out that you can kite the skulls and the zombified guards around until they give you an opportunity to fulton a vehicle. Was able to fulton the two tanks first and then eventually fulton the supply vehicle resulting in only aggro'ing one Skull (which was a problem- he was following me while moving slowly. I tried to deal with him and ended up aggro'd all of the skulls, but didn't alert the guards: meaning this doesn't count as getting a combat alert). Got out of there, S rank.

I went to a place where I could stop the convoy after finding out their path on a previous mission attempt, and some time was spent clearing out a guard post and setting up some decoys (which ended up not being necessary). And then some more time was spent kiting the skulls around. I continue to doubt that time is the only meaningful factor in getting an S Rank unless you want room to make mistakes.

You say that, but how else would you know whether or not those guns could cut a man in half?
"That's a portable toilet." - Ocelot, 1984

mcz117chief

peace walker never supported external music, did it?

btw, I'm just asking, because I heard the PC ver. was going to be patched for it, but I want to know if there is such an option for PS4, or even a work around

I know, but at least the song Calling to the Night is there.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but keep your eyes peeled when you're leaving from the Command Platform on Mother Base, you can sometimes spot
Code Talker
and
Eli
chilling at the top of one of the towers.

Just a neat little detail, not sure if you can spot anyone else from the other platforms.

brau

So I guess I was meant to use the water towers in mission 20? I just used air strike.

Not only the towers

You can ram him with the jeep to knock him off the cliff.
You can knock him into the pool of water.
You can wait it out and wait for rain to start.

Qwell

Maybe I should do the same. I kinda hate the idea to have my PS4 running for a long time but like you I'd really like to upgrade that shit.
How many processed resources can you get in an hour (roughly) ?

I believe the formula is something like 10% of your unprocessed materials up to 2500 max every x minutes. The interval starts at 60 minutes and then for every like 12 ranks of base development it lowers it by like 5 minutes or something. I believe my current rank of base development at lvl 32 i process materials every 25 minutes? And I think at max reduction you process materials every like 10 minutes. That is why base development is the number one focus for me, and of course R&D.

I should probably get to mission 21 so I can unlock FOB as I hear you can get like 1k resources just for supporting the defense of someone elses FOB.

yuraya

Not only the towers

The first time I played it I got into the jeep and drove off the cliff. I thought it was supposed to trigger some escape driving sequence or something. But nope you just die. The way the jeep was positioned so close to that cliff made it feel like you are supposed to do that. Now I see why it was done like that. You are supposed to knock him off the cliff lol.

backlot

Not only the towers

I went into the building and shot at the water pump things as he walked by them. Never thought about trying to knock him into the water pool or off a cliff.

Is there a device that can change weather / create sandstorms etc?

I think I saw something avout that somewhere. If yes, how can I develop it? I've completed the story etc.
No, but if your Intel team gets to a high enough level they are able to manipulate the weather. It might also have the A rank maximum limit other specialty items have.

The Quiet scenes can feel really out of place in the story continuity, though. Like you can get that scene right after the rain scene. So in one scene it looks like
they are borderline about to fuck right on the MB platform and then the next Snake is watching her being tortured with an impassive look on his face. Super weird.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me and it really killed my immersion.

*Saw the intro credit*

*Request Pequod (weapon spoiler)
water pistol
before entering the building*

DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED MISSION 20
*Man on Fire appeared*

Me: "Look what I've got for you, Sir" while smirking

*Shoot the almighty weapon to it*

Kaz: "Boss, that won't be enough"

FUUUUUUUU

Such a shame you can't fulton THAT though.

Soulflarz

Banned
*Saw the intro credit*

*Request Pequod (weapon spoiler)
water pistol
before entering the building*

DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED MISSION 20
*Man on Fire appeared*

Me: "Look what I've got for you, Sir" while smirking

*Shoot the almighty weapon to it*

Kaz: "Boss, that won't be enough"

FUUUUUUUU

Such a shame you can't fulton THAT though.

Fun fact- it's enough to stun if you don't let up

Theory re: "Black Hound". NOTHING CONFIRMED. But it echoes a feeling I've had since day one. That feeling being that nothing is quite as it seems and that this 'missing content' could be a metaphor for the audiences very own phantom pain. I don't know. I've always said that the hype/anticipation/theorizing of anything Kojima related is usually as fun, if not more so, than the games themselves. Of course, this could all be a giant hoax. If so, then bravo. Anyway:

"MGSV is called, "The Phantom Pain", and Kojima has done the unthinkable, and created something like a phantom pain amongst his audience. The deep and gripping sensation that they can feel something, even though it isn't there. Taking advantage of that which only videogames as a medium can do - patching - made it possible for Kojima to simulate a phantom pain in his audience.

"We have challenged and pushed ourselves with something that movies can't do but only games can do. It hasn't been done before.”
A poster on a certain clover-related message board also turned up the fact that there is in fact a drinking establishment called "The Black Hound" very, very close to the real Ground Zero - what is now the 9/11 memorial."

"The 11th September will bring the second "part" of MGSV:TPP into the limelight. The Phantom Pain's many references to Orwell's 1984 (its year, themes, and nods such as the posters) secure the connection between it and the http://ingsoc.org website, whose connection to Kojima and MGS (check "/countdown/new_toy_01.webm") are equally assured.
The final extant scene of MGSV connects with the countdown date for http://ingsoc.org (a date otherwise bizarre to announce an entertainment product upon) complete with a major character fourth-wall breaking into heavy hinting that there is more to the work.
The name of the to-be-announced product is also highly compatible with the most likely form that an extension to MGSV would take."

Kama_1082

Banned
And this is bullshit. I had some top guys taken from me in an FOB invasion offline. I do not want to take part in this shit, how can I prevent this??

Chariot

And this is bullshit. I had some top guys taken from me in an FOB invasion offline. I do not want to take part in this shit, how can I prevent this??
You can't. Best you can do is direct contract your best guys (those can't be stolen) and build a reasonable defense. You can't opt out, you are forced to buid it and you will be attacked.

Vaga

Don't set high rank FOB defense, leave at E-D also putting contracts on soldiers makes them unavailable for FOB defense.

malfcn

So with Quiet and the Puppy.. How do you visit? I just got Quiet, it said to visit and I'm going to platforms and finding nothing but target practice.

Top Bottom