• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

backlot

Spoiler
Hers is mission 11. But it won't get listed. You have to run into her to unlock the mission.

More details.
If you have the side op to meet with Huey then you'll eventually run into her. There is no other way to get to it without going through her boss fight.

I think you actually can skip Quiet if
you go to the power plant early on before Quiet shows up and get the invoice. You ought to be able to fast travel to the power plant after you get the Huey side op and skip Quiet.

The enemy alert is so flawed that it's amazing. They spot me, I failed to knock them out, they yell, then I knock them out, the entire base is on alert and then they call in regardless if it rains or there is a sandstorm. I took out five guys with DD before some random guy who is nowhere near the area radios in and they have a hard time just trying to see whats in front of them. How did we went from MGS2 to this?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I understood that part of the plot, actually. I was just alluding to the fact that Chapter 2 was obviously unfinished. Henceforth why Mission 51 isn't in the game. Don't know why you picked my post out when I wasn't the only one saying this...

It was a very specifc example being talked about, where a cut-scene was alleged to have come out of "nowhere", and I just pointed out that assertion was untrue.

Also, given the interminable string of codas at the end of MGS4 (only thing missing being crying Hobbits) really soured my memory of that game, I'm pretty cool on there being plot points left hanging this time around.

The worst habit of the MGS series is to try and explain everything... especially when any explanation is obviously going to be stretching credulity. Sometimes, the smart move is to simply go with it.

brau

I think you actually can skip Quiet if
you go to the power plant early on before Quiet shows up and get the invoice. You ought to be able to fast travel to the power plant after you get the Huey side op and skip Quiet.

Good point.

Can someone confirm this? i don't think i even thought about trying this.

It was a very specifc example being talked about, where a cut-scene was alleged to have come out of "nowhere", and I just pointed out that assertion was untrue.

Also, given the interminable string of codas at the end of MGS4 (only thing missing being crying Hobbits) really soured my memory of that game, I'm pretty cool on there being plot points left hanging this time around.

The worst habit of the MGS series is to try and explain everything... especially when any explanation is obviously going to be stretching credulity. Sometimes, the smart move is to simply go with it.

I don't disagree with that, especially in comparison to MGS4's nonsense. But I still want Mission 51. Really, really badly.

Xeteh

I first tried the delivery method again, but she dodged it when it came down. Then I baited her by popping in and out of cover real fast and it did hit her, but it only did about 1/6th of her stamina. So I called in a different delivery...helicopter support and gassed her twice. That did the trick.

If you're not worried about S rank, just sleep gas her. You can select it through the binoculars. She may dodge a couple times but it will hit her.

This is what I ended up doing.
I'm too slow to pop out in between shots to take mine, she reloads much faster in this version than she did in the first.

Thanks everyone.

N° 2048

I saw the spoiler but only two or three words. Now my fucking brain is trying to put it together so badly ughh.

Trying to read other stuff to bleach my brain.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
INTRUDER DETECTED! INTRUDER DETECTED! INTRUDER DETECTED!

"Do you want to go protect your F.O.B.?"

>Yes

"LOL NO FUCK YOU. FAILED TO CONNECT TO SESSION!"

"You failed to defend your base. Enjoy eating a GMP and staff loss while being online to defend it. Why? Because our shitty servers won't connect you."

(Konami and Kojima trollface here)

"TOTALLY OPTIONAL MODE THO! OPT-IN ONLY!"

#myass #fuckkonami

The enemy alert is so flawed that it's amazing. They spot me, I failed to knock them out, they yell, then I knock them out, the entire base is on alert and then they call in regardless if it rains or there is a sandstorm. I took out five guys with DD before some random guy who is nowhere near the area radios in and they have a hard time just trying to see whats in front of them. How did we went from MGS2 to this?

Somewhere around the time of MGS3.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

>Yes

"You failed to defend your base. Enjoy eating a GMP and staff loss while being online to defend it. Why? Because our shitty servers won't connect you."

#myass #fuckkonami

You should not have made an FOB, bro. You could have stopped this. No choice now but to nuke your save and start over if you want to ignore it.

The ghost of Konami ID lives on. Its memes persevere.

Xeteh

>Yes

#myass #fuckkonami

Yeah, I have no desire to deal with any of that. I've finished the game and I never made my FOB because I just play offline. Not worth the hassle.

Griss

The only further thing I'll say about that ridiculous spoiler posted to those who saw it and feel spoiled / let down is that
it's vague and not actually correct. It is, in many respects, a false spoiler by someone who doesn't understand what the fuck they're talking about. It might still give away things about MGSV - which sucks - but it's not correct and you should do your best to forget about it.
But it's still unfortunate.

You should not have made an FOB, bro. You could have stopped this. No choice now but to nuke your save and start over if you want to ignore it.

Bullshit. You're forced into making an FOB as soon as you connect via the servers.

Griss

What? Game wouldn't let me continue without making one. I was stuck on the menu with a big blinking red arrow. (On PS4)

jacobeid

Banned
The only further thing I'll say about that ridiculous spoiler posted to those who saw it and feel spoiled / let down is that
it's vague and not actually correct. It is, in many respects, a false spoiler by someone who doesn't understand what the fuck they're talking about. It might still give away things about MGSV - which sucks - but it's not correct and you should do your best to forget about it.

That's very reassuring. Thank you.

PHOTOSHOP

is it just me or the Battle Suit is the same as all the other suits. I dont see any real difference. I thought the suit can take bullets without getting wounded but everytime i get shot at i see blood splatters. I remember the battle suit in PW let you have more weapon slots

Bullshit. You're forced into making an FOB as soon as you connect via the servers.

What? Game wouldn't let me continue without making one. I was stuck on the menu with a big blinking red arrow. (On PS4)
Whenever I start the game it connects me to the servers and then I just immediately disconnect. That'll keep me out of all of the FOB stuff right?

I wish I could just stay disconnected at all times via menu option. I still want my console online.

Thank you for that.

Pungza

Do you have to do anything to trigger the rest of the wandering soldier side ops, I've completed #7?

I'm can play up to mission
at the moment. Just keep playing, and they'll popup?

Whenever I start the game it connects me to the servers and then I just immediately disconnect. That'll keep me out of all of the FOB stuff right?

I wish I could just stay disconnected at all times via menu option. I still want my console online.

If you decline the user agreement at the beginning you'll start the game offline.

Thanks, it helps.

kd-z

Spoilers up to and including mission 31.
So I beat Chapter 1. The ending was rather underwhelming - the "Sins of the Father" sequence so utterly terrible it's hard to believe it ended up like this for reasons other than budget-related. Then there was an uninspired fight with Sahelanthropus. I know that the series always had a big shootout with a Metal Gear but I can't not wonder what could've been if someone actually put effort into this and made the final battle actually, you know, utilize the game's primary systems - stealth.
Then everything just ends. If I didn't know this wasn't really the end of the story I would be very disappointed.

But then they played a trailer of Chapter 2 and HOOOLYYY SHIT I'm fucking IN!

I've put 74 hours into this game so far. Aside from 31 main missions I also did about 60 Side Ops. What a game!

aro52

Good point.

Can someone confirm this? i don't think i even thought about trying this.

I can.
Her appearance caught me off guard, and it didn't really feel like a mission at all, so I followed the radio dude's advice to skirt around. I eventually got to a point where it closed that "Quiet boss fight mission", gave me negative heroism, and restarted the mission I actually WAS on. I was concerned that I missed out on her, but now I have a mission 11 (go after Quiet) in my mission list.

It's like a really bad version of a From Software game (server log in on start up), in which MGSV forces you via a tutorial to make an FOB (which you cannot exit/cancel) and then further tutorials through the FOB settings and security etc. It failed for me the first time a few days ago and then finally accomplished staying on Konami's servers long enough to force me through it today, of course it fails again after a measly hour of being logged in to their servers. So just because you escaped the wrath of Konami's shitty servers today doesn't mean they won't get you further down the line. Better watch yourself. ;)

Gvitor

These "To be continued" points are reallyyy bad. This isn't a portable game, dammit. It's breaking the game's pace to smithereens, and it wasn't even good to begin with.

pre-ch43 kind of spoilers:
Also, Kaz saying "when you're ready, use your iDroid" in the cutscene was really immersion breaking. This was supposed to be an emergency ._.

backlot

I can.
Her appearance caught me off guard, and it didn't really feel like a mission at all, so I followed the radio dude's advice to skirt around. I eventually got to a point where it closed that "Quiet boss fight mission", gave me negative heroism, and restarted the mission I actually WAS on. I was concerned that I missed out on her, but now I have a mission 11 (go after Quiet) in my mission list.

If you go to the ruins early enough you won't even trigger the mission because she isn't there yet. I did it and got the power plant invoice but I didn't try fast traveling later because I wanted to find her.

shiba5

Do you have to do anything to trigger the rest of the wandering soldier side ops, I've completed #7?

I'm can play up to mission
at the moment. Just keep playing, and they'll popup?

I'm wondering about this too. I also completed 7 and don't have any more.

It's like a really bad version of a From Software game (server log in on start up), in which MGSV forces you via a tutorial to make an FOB (which you cannot exit/cancel) and then further tutorials through the FOB settings and security etc. It failed for me the first time a few days ago and then finally accomplished staying on Konami's servers long enough to force me through it today. So just because you escaped the wrath of Konami's shitty servers today doesn't mean they won't get you further down the line. Better watch yourself. ;)
There was that forced Dispatch mission tutorial too - and I followed it step by step because I didn't seem to have any choice in the matter, and my reward for the effort was a failed mission and dead personnel.

Great system there.

brau

If you go to the ruins early enough you won't even trigger the mission because she isn't there yet. I did it and got the power plant invoice but I didn't try fast traveling later because I wanted to find her.

This is awesome.

Slime

Banned
Finally work up the courage to overcome my spoiler paranoia and post in the OT, and this happens.

Suddenly have a knot in the pit of my stomach and can't decide whether I want to stop playing for a while, or just rush through the rest of the game so I don't get spoiled again.

Welp.

backlot

There was that forced Dispatch mission tutorial too - and I followed it step by step because I didn't seem to have any choice in the matter, and my reward for the effort was a failed mission and dead personnel.

Great system there.

Honestly, I don't think you're supposed to play this game without ever losing a soldier.

Soulflarz

Banned
Finally work up the courage to overcome my spoiler paranoia and post in the OT, and this happens.

Suddenly have a knot in the pit of my stomach and can't decide whether I want to stop playing for a while, or just rush through the rest of the game so I don't get spoiled again.

Welp.

You sure came at a bad time x.x

aro52

Ah, ok. I guess I skipped it the long way.

Top Bottom