• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Braag

Post mission 25 spoilers

This disease contamination managing stuff... who thought this would be fun? I have almost 800 people in my staff >.<

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't been able to activate the rain scene with
Quiet
. I suppose it should randomly happen at some point in the game, so I'll stop trying to get it.

The cringe will have to wait apparently.

Griss

Ah, I was just heading out for mission 4
and suddenly cutscene - DD grew up! Just in time for the end of the game!

I was sure that was a bug and he'd never grow up. Damn pup nearly took the entire length of the game, lol. Welp, he's here now and that's what matters. Can't wait to see what he can do.

Nuke Soda

I was sure that was a bug and he'd never grow up. Damn pup nearly took the entire length of the game, lol. Welp, he's here now and that's what matters. Can't wait to see what he can do.
That is one adorable bug, DD grew up after about 3 missions for me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

What the hell, it took like 8 missions for him to grow for me!

You can, it just takes ~50 shots.

Does it really change anything? I mean,
he'll still be "revived" by the gas mask kid.

resources that are scattered around Mother Base... like, large resource containers, machine guns and mortars... are those meant to be fulton-ed and collected? when I first started seeing them, I thought they were there to represent items that I sent back... so, fulton a machine gun from Afghan and now you get a machine gun back at Mother Base to use to protect it or something.... but I tried fulton-ing a couple and I got extra resources lol

no story spoilers please (e.g. please don't say 'yes it's used for a later base defense lol)

but are they basically just there to be collected? or are they meant to be left there for some practical purpose?

//edit// oh, and does anyone have their iDroid loading take a very long time randomly? first few nights it was fast and then late wednesday night and thursday, it began to be very slow... like, sometimes 10-15 seconds to open up item development and over 20 seconds loading for Dispatch... I thought maybe it wasn't related to the servers because it affected all iDroid menus, even those with seemingly no online component (or related to the online currency) but then by random chance, last night I got disconnected and suddenly all my iDroid menus were super fast again lol this happening to others too?

akira28

yes...the last thing I did was hit the puppy by mistake.

Two things happened and I swear this is true.

Before hitting DD, I would be able to get double Morale boosts from my soldiers by greeting them, then if I CQC interrogated them I would get another morale boost. Plus I haven't seen the puppy. PETA probably took him.

Oh yeah if you're fond of blowing up comms equipment make sure dd hasn't followed you into the room when it explodes. I think he forgave me eventually.

I started getting more 'events' like that by returning to MB more often... I had almost nothing happen by going back to MB once every 5 missions/side-ops or so, but then I started going back to MB after every side-op and I got a few events: D.D. (
second growth stage I guess, more obedient
, Quiet
(wanting to come in the field where she shoots through the heli rotors),
and Huey
(walker is now available... though I think that one may just be related to 1st Africa mission since the credits said "starring walker" even though I never saw any walkers lol)

Ferrio

Banned
Man the shower scene is so awkward. Kinda funny since didn't find the B&B scenes awkward, maybe because those were so outlandish.

Ardenyal

Quite literally fuck episode 45

It appears that the enemy just decides to use all their fucking tanks in this one instance. Not to mention, they seem far more capable than the sahelanthropus. I've had no problems with any mission thus far, not really anyway. this is by far the worst mission in the game.

Yup. Rest of the game is so good but then there is this one shit nugget of a mission.. you would think its actually a good mission since its designed / scripted but nah. One of the worst missions I have ever had the displeasure of playing.

I don't like this game at all :/ so unfortunate. I've been so hyped. I don't like stealthig and playing like Rambo isn't working out well for me. Shame. I'm going to return it to gamefly.

Replayed the quiet mission with ddog and he sits in the copilot seat on the trip back lol

I started getting more 'events' like that by returning to MB more often... I had almost nothing happen by going back to MB once every 5 missions/side-ops or so, but then I started going back to MB after every side-op and I got a few events: D.D. (
second growth stage I guess, more obedient
, Quiet
(wanting to come in the field where she shoots through the heli rotors),
and Huey
(walker is now available... though I think that one may just be related to 1st Africa mission since the credits said "starring walker" even though I never saw any walkers lol)

The walkers appear after you explode the target, unless you did something very sneaky like leaving the hotzone before detonating, I guess.

Nameless

You don't like stealth but you were hyped for a MGS game?

Playing stealth action or even full on action is as viable as it's ever been in an MGS game. Not only does the game give you all the tools to do so, but the gunplay is phenomenal, especially in first person.

Personally I've never approached the series using 100% non lethal stealth. It's always been most fun for me to use a variety of styles. MGSV is most rewarding in that regard.

Jesus fuck the (post mission 25
quarantine. Getting eye strain from staring at the languages and I have to do it again every time some dudes are released from the brig.

is quarantining literally everyone a viable strategy?

Replayed the quiet mission with ddog and he sits in the copilot seat on the trip back lol

The walkers appear after you explode the target, unless you did something very sneaky like leaving the hotzone before detonating, I guess.
yeah... I cleared the entire base, destroyed all comms, and waited to detonate the C4 until I was on the grassy hill outside and above the base

was worried reinforcements would come or those
dead bodies in the oily water sluice or whatever would become Skulls esque zombies haha

it blew up, camera automatically sorted of panned and zoomed into the exploding oil tank in the distance, and then it just said, ok evacuate at the LZ... no reinforcements or other events

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When are FOB base defense costs deducted from you? Every time you are invaded?

Is there a reason to NOT use the max security settings and have your base full of cameras and drones and anti theft devices?

Gvitor

Credits roll.

That was... underwhelming.

Still have the Quiet scene to do, since I used the emblem.

But man, that whole ending chapter is the perfect exemplification of one of my biggest complains with the game: it has no respect to the player's time. The final time count for the last mission was 49min. Almost an hour to a slow-as-fuck mission that I've already played before. I didn't even skip cutscenes afraid they'd change or add bits and pieces through it, like they did at the beginning (they didn't).It was a great nonsensical prologue, but here at the ending it was just another stupid way to waste the player's time. They could've fast forwarded A LOT of the hospital scene to suit the ending. Hell, it even showed me TUTORIAL PROMPTS during it. This game's prologue is like TLOU's prologue. The first time you play it, everything is new and you endure those slow parts. But it's awful in replays. I avoided all of the rehashed missions in the campaign, so to end it up they shove one down my throat, one that I can't avoid.

As for the twist, due to pre-release theories and several talks with friends about it, I wasn't surprised. I liked parts of the execution (after the awful forced replay of the chapter, that is), but not all of it. Mostly because it seemed like Big Boss was running away. And the whole "building a nation" is complete bullshit. He can't do that (something bigger than MB) without having people noticing him. If so, what's the point of changing faces or having someone else create MB?

I'll jump into the spoiler thread and elaborate all of the problems I had with this after I see the Quiet scene.

I'm guessing nothing came out today? I tried going to that website that had the countdown but it's down and there aren't any threads saying MGS5 is out in addition to V so... fake?

yeah... I cleared the entire base, destroyed all comms, and detonated the the C4 not until I was on the grassy hill outside and above the base

was worried reinforcements would come or those
dead bodies in the oily water sluice or whatever would become Skulls esque zombies haha

it blew up, camera automatically sorted of panned and zoomed into the exploding oil tank in the distance, and then it just said, ok evacuate at the LZ... no reinforcements or other events

Yeah there is a tiny cutscene which shows the explosion for a second time with some reinforcements on walker gears.

I did the MB shoot the target sub missions but now 3 of them are randomly showing as having not been completed. Why is that?

Also, why are some sub missions still highlighted with a dot next to them?

So after beating Mission 31 and
getting into Chapter 2 and seeing the cutscenes with Quiet, I can already say I am more intrigued/gripped by the story than chapter 1. I hope this intensity stays up

farisr

I just got my first S Rank completely by accident/luck.

Mission 7 (no story spoilers and the mission doesn't involve anything unique gameplay/taskwise that can be spoiled but but I'll spoiler tag anyways)

After spending 2 hours on mission 6, and about 10 minutes into mission 7, I decided I'm going waay too slow, so I decided to be less cautious. This is the mission where you have to take out the 3 commanders who are meeting up. So anyways, I scout, get caught, had my tranq pistol out so I fired a lot of shots into people, as much as I could before needing to switch over to the assault rifle if I wanted to live and not lose progress.

Killed about 4 guys who were shooting at me, the rest fell asleep. I fultoned the ones I could. Turns out I happened to tranq & fulton all 3 commanders (I only identified one before I got caught and started tranqing) and hence I met the requirements for the S Rank.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So after beating Mission 31 and
getting into Chapter 2 and seeing the cutscenes with Quiet, I can already say I am more intrigued/gripped by the story than chapter 1. I hope this intensity stays up

Apart from the Quiet stuff and mission 43 being the only redeeming factors, don't get your expectations up

Really can't believe how bad chapter 2 is. Stuck doing random crap trying to unlock the next thing.

I heard you don't have to
do the extreme/hard mission stuff. Just do Side Ops and do the main Side Ops when they pop up and they will unlock the new MAIN Missions

Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Gaz_RB

I hate literally everything about The Man on Fire. Every cutscene, every plot line, ever encounter. He exemplifies everything I dislike about the way the story is told in MGSV.

Top Bottom