• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

BOOOOOOOOO
So I decided to not shower for a few missions to try and get that one cutscene, did mission 23, and was clean as a whistle by the end of it. All that work for nothing. SIGH.

There's an easy way to get it. Just go into freeroam, use the phantom cigar over and over. Just go to Afghan so the rain doesn't wash you up.

What I mean to say that they do have a persistent destroyed state, enough that you can take advantage of it especially if side ops keeps taking you to the same base. Yes, they respawn but not immediately like you might first suspect (I think the in-universe explanation is that they need to have the gear transported).

I used a very casual meaning of the word "stay".
Any idea on how long the respawn is?

The first time they respawned for me was around Mission 6-8, or so, I think... The Honey Bee one or whatever.

I wasn't sure if it was a general world respawn though because it happened exactly after Ocelot tells Snake, post-mission, that Russian soldiers have been reinforced with better gear.... the night vision goggles, body armor, shotguns and sniper rifles, etc (and more A-S Rank soldiers started appearing).

When that happened, all the comms also respawned. So, I wasn't sure if it was related to that "reinforcement" or just a coincidence that, say, 5 hours of 'respawn time' had passed.

Khronico

Okay late game mission question: Mission 4
where you defend Quiet from Tanks.

Is this an infinite spawn thing? I've been firing rockets at these tanks for ages. Must have taken down 10 by now, plus a helicopter. Kaz has said 'no more reinforcements, you're nearly there... But I can fucking see more coming. I get to this 'end' each time, but they just wear me down. I'm only on my third attempt, but my first two took like 45 minutes each so I don't want to do this hopelessly.

Also, is there ANY way to flank the enemy here? Once I got lucky with a sandstorm and fultoned two tanks, but mostly I'm resigned to hitting the armour at the front of the far tanks, which does almost no damage. Only saving grace is that Quiet doesn't seem to get hit a lot in this fight. It's not a hard fight (like the fucking skulls), it feels easy! It's just expensive and takes forever, to the point you get bored and make a mistake.

It takes long but there is an end.

My advice:
Constantly move between openings in the building while shooting. Shoot, relocate, rinse, repeat (don't stay for another shot). If you start getting heat hide and let quiet regain their attention. If your up against a tank, play safe, avoid putting yourself in an enclosed space, tank rounds have splash damage and WILL kill you.

Griss

It takes long but there is an end.

My advice:
Constantly move between openings in the building while shooting. Shoot, relocate, rinse, repeat (don't stay for another shot). If you start getting heat hide and let quiet regain their attention. If your up against a tank, play safe, avoid putting yourself in an enclosed space, tank rounds have splash damage and WILL kill you.

I have absolutely no problem getting hit. The tanks can't shoot for shit. It's damaging THEM that's the problem.

So anyone have advice for mission 29?

Use D-Walker. If you catch the Skulls while they're standing still in the smoke, you can shred through their armor and health with the minigun. Use the wheel mode to dodge their attacks and keep moving while stopping when they do the smoke thing. Watch your ammo if you don't have the upgrades

grimmiq

I have absolutely no problem getting hit. The tanks can't shoot for shit. It's damaging THEM that's the problem.

I recall
most of the tanks coming from the right path, have you tried covering that road with a shitload of AT mines? You get a breather half way through, easy time to re-stock them..I think I had C4 on my left, Mines on the right and just used my Missile Launcher on the ones coming over the dunes.

Also if you just want the mission finished, Air Strikes are a good way to go after they park in front of the building.

Xemnas89

Use D-Walker. If you catch the Skulls while they're standing still in the smoke, you can shred through their armor and health with the minigun. Use the wheel mode to dodge their attacks and keep moving while stopping when they do the smoke thing. Watch your ammo if you don't have the upgrades

Yeah I've never done anything with the D-Walker so I definitely don't have the upgrades. Will try this out though.

Soulflarz

Banned
Andd all side ops done

Done with MGSV

Was fun. Unlike Bloodborne, I can't say how long I'll stick around in the OT endlessly answering questions. S-so, maybe goodbye o7

SeanTSC

So, got 100% completion and the only thing I have left are the Trophies for developing things.

And I just hit a 21 hour timer. Nothing left to do in the game but let it fucking sit there running just so I can make something. And it's not a FOB timer that counts down while you're offline. So fucking stupid.

Tainted

Why does the side op below (12) always highlight as available even after I have completed it ? I played through it a 2nd time thinking it was a bug, but I cant seem to clear it away so it always shows in my mission count from the mission menu

8lVzA84.jpg

Why does the side op below (12) always highlight as available even after I have completed it ? I played through it a 2nd time thinking it was a bug, but I cant seem to clear it away so it always shows in my mission count from the mission menu

8lVzA84.jpg

Those are just replayable I think. I don't know why those in specific are though.

PHOTOSHOP

did i beat the game yet?

i got the TRUTH mission and Quiet final side op. I also saw Paz at Medical Bay. Is there Chapter 3?

Hypron

So uh, I failed Mission 22 (
I fell down from the top of the platform like an idiot
). I take it I
just have to play through side missions until I get invaded again
?

Post-game side op spoilers/question:

Will zombie/puppet soldiers join my army? Is it with fultoning the highly rated ones in the "Eliminate the Puppet Soldiers" missions?

So uh, I failed Mission 22 (
I fell down from the top of the platform like an idiot
). I take it I
just have to play through side missions until I get invaded again
?

Nope.
It's right there in the menu with the rest, like a normal mission. FOB invasions are thier own, separate thing.

Hypron

Nope.
It's right there in the menu with the rest, like a normal mission. FOB invasions are thier own, separate thing.

Cool, thanks.
The mission list didn't have the usual entry on the iDroid didn't have the usual (1) besides it so I missed it

Egg0

Banned
I'm on mission 28
(Codetalker), so all my symptomatic staff have died and noone has died since, I still have a ton of people in quarantine. Is it safe to pull people out of quarantine or do I still need to push through the main missions?

malfcn

Saving is wonky. I got some free animal platform and then quit to main menu. Came back and now it's gone.

Now I am confused? Soldiers on MB talking about it..but I don't see it on my iDroid.

Oh, you have to jump in a helicopter and fly there.

I'm on mission 28
(Codetalker), so all my symptomatic staff have died and noone has died since, I still have a ton of people in quarantine. Is it safe to pull people out of quarantine or do I still need to push through the main missions?

Keep going.
You'll know when it's finally safe to let them out. Releasing peeps early will only cause more deaths and quarantines in the long run.
Now I am confused? Soldiers on MB talking about it..but I don't see it on my iDroid.

The animal platform is a separate map. From the helicopter departure map thingy on Mother Base, there's a button you need to press to go there--it'll be listed on the map itself.

Qblivion

Wait just a goddammed minute. Am I understanding correctly that if I use the butterfly emblem even once
I am locked out of seeing the true ending?

Egg0

Banned
Keep going.
You'll know when it's finally safe to let them out. Releasing peeps early will only cause more deaths and quarantines in the long run.

The animal platform is a separate map. From the helicopter departure map thingy on Mother Base, there's a button you need to press to go there--it'll be listed on the map itself.

Gotcha, thanks.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Wait just a goddammed minute. Am I understanding correctly that if I use the butterfly emblem even once
I am locked out of seeing the true ending?

Only while its on. Just take it off when you want to progress.

LOLCats

Banned
Damn traiter caravan mission.

One thing I don't understand is when you're perfectly hidden from the enemy then you call in an airstrike they immediately know where you are... at least during that mission they did, of course they killed me and i had to do it over again...

kris.

Banned
So I just got a neat cutscene concerning a mid-game character (
Eli___
)
who just got laid the fuck out by Ocelot. I know he's just beating up on a kid but Eli so deserved it and it's probably the coolest thing Ocelot's done all game. Eli's a stubborn little shit.

Qblivion

Also (ending stuff)
Is doing the mission where quiet leaves mandatory to get the true end or not?

I'm amazed that there is more ambiguity with this game than a souls game.

Haha mission 30 spoiler:
car ride was not that bad! A little awkward and didn't hit the point that Kojima was trying to hit. Every MGS has more awkward scenes than that... People saying "I knew this game was a disappointment after that scene" need to just cool their jets a little. At this rate maybe chapter 2 will be a masterpiece after all the crap that's been said about it :)

Yeah, I know that.

I don't want to go through 500 people...........

This is the worst part of the game I've seen so far. Baffling that they'd make you do this. Of my 640 dudes at the time, 240 had to be quarantined, and there's no way to sort your dudes the way you need to so you just have to go through the whole list one by one.

It ends fairly soon, though.
The quarantine threat is over after Mission 29, so it's probably safe to just not bother quarantining anyone and just push through the main missions; you're going to lose some people even if you do quarantine everyone. Boneheaded idea to make people start rushing through the last few missions of the main story, but there you go.

Haha mission 30 spoiler:
car ride was not that bad! A little awkward and didn't hit the point that Kojima was trying to hit. Every MGS has more awkward scenes than that... People saying "I knew this game was a disappointment after that scene" need to just cool their jets a little. At this rate maybe chapter 2 will be a masterpiece after all the crap that's been said about it :)

That mission and the one before and after were the most "Metal Gear" of the entire game. Loved them all.

god, what the fuck is up with mission 45.

This feels fucking endless and if you die you have to start back towards the beginning. wtf. And why is most everything a one hit kill. How long does this go on for?

Edit: finally beat. Worst mission in the game by far up to this point

Macrotus

This is the worst part of the game I've seen so far. Baffling that they'd make you do this. Of my 640 dudes at the time, 240 had to be quarantined, and there's no way to sort your dudes the way you need to so you just have to go through the whole list one by one.

I hated this too.
Kojima is a person who realises the little things, like the things people listed in the "MGSV - The little gameplay details that caught your attention" thread.
I'm surprised he didn't realise how unfriendly that solder listing is.

as a big MGS fan i agree with you. Wasted 70hrs on this to know the story.

Its so sad because if chapter 2 was more fleshed out and various plot lines tied up, the game could have been amazing.

Up until chapter 2 I thought the game was a solid 10. When your games ending is so rushed and forced that you have people not even knowing if they beat the game or not, something is VERY wrong. Game is a 7.5/8 now.

What a botch.

Top Bottom