• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Is mission 27 the easiest S rank in the game? lol

I think 25 or 26 was for me. You just walk into a base of garrisoned by like 5 child soldiers and have to extract one of them and a prisoner. Quiet took them all out, I loaded'em into a Jeep and drove straight out. S-Rank, perfect stealth, no kills, took like six minutes :p

cj_iwakura

Oh my god. Too perfect.

tumblr_nui21valta1rzz1cdo1_540.png
(Robin Atkin Downes also voiced Travis Touchdown.)

ExVicis

Is mission 27 the easiest S rank in the game? lol

Which one is the Communications mission? I took out the radar in that base long before I did that mission. SO when it came time to do that one I just had the helicopter go into the landing zone at the base and I just shot at all the communications stuff from the Gatling Gun on the side. Finished the whole mission in 2 minutes.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Anyone got tips for mission 45? These tanks are like fucking 1 hit kill snipers.

1.) Never fire from the same spot and almost always be inside the bulidng
2.) Get a better launcher, not what you're given at the beginning
3.) Utilize Air+Fire Support as much as possible
4.) Don't wait for auto supply. DIY

1.) Never fire from the same spot and almost always be inside the bulidng
2.) Get a better launcher, not what you're given at the beginning
3.) Utilize Air+Fire Support as much as possible
4.) Don't wait for auto supply. DIY

Have a grade 5 rocket so i don't need to worry about that. Frustrating thing is that these tanks shoot me down before they even come out from behind the rocks because a tiny piece of their turret is showing.

Might just restart the mission with something better than a sneaking suit.

Edit: finally got it. Found a good sweet spot inside the building to hide and poke out of.

Xanathus

Sure.

I don't know if I'm misreading the information or not, frankly I find the FOB to be pretty confusing. I also seem to just have a shitload of material containers and decent soldiers on my Support Unit just waiting to be taken, I guess.

Even though I have everyone set to be D ranked on these structures it doesn't seem to matter. I really have no idea how to properly control any of this.

Hmm it almost looks as if it took unprocessed fuel materials from your MB because you had little on your FOB. It looks like the amount of material under the Placed Containers in Security Settings correlates directly to the *total* amount of unprocessed materials in both Mother Base and FOB, but it isn't split up evenly among platforms. Base Development platform will have the total amount whereas other platforms only have a portion. So it does start to look as if it will start taking from your MB resources if you've completely run out of FOB resources and the invader had fultoned a lot / every container.

MMarston

Have a grade 5 rocket so i don't need to worry about that. Frustrating thing is that these tanks shoot me down before they even come out from behind the rocks because a tiny piece of their turret is showing.

Might just restart the mission with something better than a sneaking suit.

One thing you could try doing is making a break for it fultoning every armored vehicle before you get in their sights.

Heavy risk, but high reward.

sam777

Quick question.
I don't care about the FOB but does this affect my actual Mother Base in anyway? Because if it does I need to pay attention to it.

LeonSPBR

Quick question.
I don't care about the FOB but does this affect my actual Mother Base in anyway? Because if it does I need to pay attention to it.

Yes it does. If you lose in a FOB defense you lose high ranking personnel. And you can lose materials too. So put high ranking people to defend and research the security equipment to help in the defense.

20cent

Banned
Finished the game.

I don't see what's missing to that end. I'm somewhat satisfied.
I was expecting this twist since the first teaser,even reinforced by the fact that you have to choose an avatar, Ishmael, etc.. even though I forgot about it while playing

I thought I was being spoiled when I saw many complains in another thread saying that mission 51 and the final boss fight were missing.. What?

Chariot

Okay, that's some good advice. Thank you!

Edit: Especially since GMP is easy to come by thanks to selling plants.
You also get guys, ressources and GMP if anyone fails to invade you. It's neat.

Question: Do they only take guards that are on your security team, or can they take guards that are in your mother base under combat or R&D, etc?

Should I only put guards on security under direct contract?
They take from everywhere. You need to put the best of every section under direct contract.

Or just back up your save when you're done for the day. Someone invaded you while you were offline? The game lets you know/syncs?

*yawn and reupload backed up save* "Enjoy my S+'s dudes. You didn't steal shit from me." *continues to play the game as if invasion never happened*
Interesting approach! Didn't knew that this works.

Quick question.
It gives you more slots for more guys, so you can level up you base units better and faster.

Ambitious

My side ops list seems to glitch from time to time. Sometimes, there's a "new" dot next to a mission I already completed (the checkbox is ticked). The mission title is white, too, instead of transparent. And I can actually do those missions again, while I get a warning message for others ("You have already completed this side op").

Edzi

Mission 45 is the worst. This is the most unfun thing in this game by far.

Why does Kojima seem to think that bullet sponge boss waves that require multiple supply drops are fun? Oh and never mind the fact that half the attacks are one hit kills.

Tabris

Here is where Peace Walker succeeds and The Phantom Pain fails. Just this specific piece, TPP is the superior game for most everything else.

There is little reason to build your base and develop your weapons after beating the game. Almost none of the missions require them as there's no real boss fights, which means there's very little reason to play the game outside trophies after the story ends.

While Peace Walker had so many different kinds of extra boss battles after the game was over. Extreme versions, unique Monster Hunter battles, unique vehicle battles. TPP has none of that.

So while I do want to platinum (I'm at 82% completion in the game), it's hard to be motivated for it.

This game needs DLC.

chefbags

So for emblems why do I keep hearing I should put on the
butterfly one for quiet?

*quiet related

*in non spoilers if possible

grimmiq

Finished the game.

I don't see what's missing to that end. I'm somewhat satisfied.
I was expecting this twist since the first teaser,even reinforced by the fact that you have to choose an avatar, Ishmael, etc.. even though I forgot about it while playing

I thought I was being spoiled when I saw many complains in another thread saying that mission 51 and the final boss fight were missing.. What?

You don't feel disappointed that
Eli and the Child Soldiers just take your Metal Gear and fuck off with it, never to be seen again?

Permanently A

Wow I just saw the medbay scene. Kinda crazy they left that one optional. What other cutscenes on Mother Base should I look out for and what are the requirements to unlock them?

MMarston

So for emblems why do I keep hearing I should put on the
butterfly one for quiet?

*quiet related

*in non spoilers if possible

Not having it triggers her final story missions

It also means her being gone for good once it triggers

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
My FOB was attacked tonight. I booted up the game to find that the guy made off with 12 guys and 70k in money. I can't retaliate for some reason so I want to avoid this happening again.

I've researched all the security, have given my guys a great MG, and deployed A rank guys to all areas. Am I missing anything else?

Chariot

My FOB was attacked tonight. I booted up the game to find that the guy made off with 12 guys and 70k in money. I can't retaliate for some reason so I want to avoid this happening again.

I've researched all the security, have given my guys a great MG, and deployed A rank guys to all areas. Am I missing anything else?
More platforms. You don't get supply drops, so people tire out fast if they have to deal with more than one platform. Do have the best battle dress? That one should add helmets for maximum defense.

And you can only retaliate if the enemy is spotted, thus seen.

I feel like I've dodged a bullet with this FOB stuff. Thanks to the PS4's suspend/resume thing, I haven't actually quit the game since the first time I booted it up over a week ago. And, apart from a few check-ins for the Daily Rewards last week (before I hit the mission where FOBs become available), I've kept the game staunchly disconnected from Konami's servers. Never built an FOB (come to think of it I don't even know how to), and I'm not going to.

I'll probably give it a go once I've mopped up every other Trophy, and built all my Mother Base platforms and stuff so I won't have to worry about losing staff and resources. Having tens of thousands of fuel units stolen would be hours worth of progress lost.

That "Return to the ACC" option in the menu that someone pointed out earlier is making me feel like a complete idiot. I've probably wasted millions of GMP calling down my stupid chopper whenever I've wanted to end a mission.

20cent

Banned
You don't feel disappointed that
Eli and the Child Soldiers just take your Metal Gear and fuck off with it, never to be seen again?

not really. At this point it would be just another salanthropapapololulus fight with Eli leaving and keeping having a children army until shadow moses, I don't see what else they could do, because bad writing. We shouldn't have had the metal gear Sleeping at MB to start with and Eli should have disappeared or escaped forever.
And I had enough missile/rocket fights un the game

Permanently A

That "Return to the ACC" option in the menu that someone pointed out earlier is making me feel like a complete idiot. I've probably wasted millions of GMP calling down my stupid chopper whenever I've wanted to end a mission.

Wait seriously? I thought Return to ACC was like a "quit mission" thing.

Jusoni

I feel like I'm getting burned out on this game and just want to finish the story for now. How long till the true ending after
I've done the children rescue side ops?

MMarston

I feel like I'm getting burned out on this game and just want to finish the story for now. How long till the true ending after
I've done the children rescue side ops?
Youre close, but you're gonna need to keep doing leftover side ops for stuff to trigger

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It isn't?

...how much time and money have been wasted

As I am nearing the end of the game, I feel so conflicted on a personal level.

With raw gameplay in mind, this game is simply sublime. Not only is it the best playing MGS game, but it's one of the best playing Third Person games period.

And yet, I don't know. I try to feel and love the fact that I am playing a main-entry MGS game, and I do at times, but most the time something just feels...off. I can't put my finger on it. The problem is not liking a game that is so clearly well-crafted and presented. How can you hate a game that feels almost like perfection in your hands?

In the end, it's still MG and I fucking adore it for that. But when I think about it and rank it in my head, it's hard for me to see this being better than 1-4 as an overall package.

tensuke

Those are just replayable I think. I don't know why those in specific are though.

Why does the side op below (12) always highlight as available even after I have completed it ? I played through it a 2nd time thinking it was a bug, but I cant seem to clear it away so it always shows in my mission count from the mission menu

8lVzA84.jpg

Posted this earlier but it got lost, for anyone wondering why you can sometimes replay side ops you've already done:

So each map (Afghanistan, Africa, MB?) is separated into different "regions". You will always have one side op available from each region at a time. Side ops have a priority to them, 1-10 I think, the lowest priority goes first. So in one region, maybe the northwestern part of Afghanistan, say you have two side ops priorities 1 and 7 unlocked. The one with priority 1 will be available to play, then after you beat it, and go back to the acc, the priority 7 side op will be available to play in its place. If no new side op for a region is unlocked, you can play the last side op that was available for that region. That's why sometimes you can replay side ops you've already beaten.

It isn't?

...how much time and money have been wasted

I know, right!? Once your mission or side-op is finished just choose that and you're back in the ACC instantly and free of charge.

---

You know what's total bullshit? How ENORMOUS the hitbox is on power lines. It is ridiculous that I can't fire my tranq darts between (or in a lot of cases, over) those skinny cords and it just totally ruined a great sneak I was having.

Jolkien

Mission 4
:

I really have to play this entire thing again?

Yes.
As far as I know only the beginning and after the man on fire encounter in the lobby got changed. I supposed you could try to skip those cutscene in between, really annoying part.

KingBroly

Banned
I've beaten Missions
13 and 14
over the last couple of days. I think both have been fantastic so far. Really well done levels. Very open, very focused on your goals, etc. The highlight of the game for me so far.

Vex_

Banned
I know, right!? Once your mission or side-op is finished just choose that and you're back in the ACC instantly and free of charge.

---

You know what's total bullshit? How ENORMOUS the hitbox is on power lines. It is ridiculous that I can't fire my tranq darts between (or in a lot of cases, over) those skinny cords and it just totally ruined a great sneak I was having.

Isn't there a catch to that? Like, any resources you scavenge don't come with you?

Vex_

Banned
No as soon as you complete the side ops the game save. I did that for the whole game.

No. What I mean is after you complete your mission, and you pick up a daisy or something. That's not coming with you is it? Since it took place technically after the mission. I lost some materials like that one time.

Hopefully I explained that right.

Top Bottom