• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

artsi

I may be crazy, but I swear that enemies have a harder time detecting black people at night. I've been taking Finger from GZ out on some side ops and moments where I would have definitely been spotted by enemies as Boss, Finger cruises along by.

Well it makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised considering all the detail in this game.

Git good. That mission is awesome!!

I've done the mission just found it a chore to play. The section from Mission 29 to there is the opposite of what I was enjoying doing in the game. It hasn't done enough to spoil the experience of what is an otherwise fantastic game, but it was the least enjoyable couple of hours of my 50 or so hour playtime.

SkylineRKR

Just finished it - good not great as an overall package.

This game is going to plummet in price in terms of the 2nd hand market...its the first Metal Gear game since '98 I want to sell having just completed it.

Though this game has the deepest gameplay I don't see myself replaying it ever. I never sold MGS1-3 because they had so much personality and after a few years I would try a no k/d/a run in 2 or 3. Or murder everyone.

But MGSV? I don't see any reason to replay these dozens of disconnected and repetitive byte sized missions just for... a no kill/alert run?

liquidtmd

Banned
Though this game has the deepest gameplay I don't see myself replaying it ever. I never sold MGS1-3 because they had so much personality and after a few years I would try a no k/d/a run in 2 or 3. Or murder everyone.

But MGSV? I don't see any reason to replay these dozens of disconnected and repetitive byte sized missions just for... a no kill/alert run?

Exactly. I had a good enough time playing it but the story is bullshit. Zero incentive to relive it or do speedruns, and I replayed MGS1/2 over and over to the point of absurdity.

Second hand copies are going to be abundant

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat didn't plan on selling it I have all the games didn't think I'd end up selling five. But the weakest link.

Hasney

I'm never selling this, the best game I've played in the generation so far. So fun just to deploy somewhere random and just take over outposts.

Actually too much fun, between that and FOB it's taking away from my platinum progress.

EDIT: 111 hours so far... Fuck me.

GeeTeeCee

Anyone else had the game completely crash their PS4?

I was driving along Mother Base listening to tapes when the game froze. The PS4 couldn't close the application, and the only way to turn the PS4 off was to remove the power source and let the console boot up into safe mode. Not fun. I had a similar situation happen with Arkham Knight once.

Exactly. I had a good enough time playing it but the story is bullshit. Zero incentive to relive it or do speedruns, and I replayed MGS1/2 over and over to the point of absurdity.

Second hand copies are going to be abundant

What the fuck do speed runs have to do with story? Lol

Hasney

Anyone else had the game completely crash their PS4?

I was driving along Mother Base listening to tapes when the game froze. The PS4 couldn't close the application, and the only way to turn the PS4 off was to remove the power source and let the console boot up into safe mode. Not fun. I had a similar situation happen with Arkham Knight once.

Not once in this or Arkham Knight. Any especially long sessions before they happened?

One other person in this thread had a single lock up too from what I recall, but nothing majorly widespread it seems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will I need PS+ in order to do FOB or play MGO?

GeeTeeCee

Not once in this or Arkham Knight. Any especially long sessions before they happened?

One other person in this thread had a single lock up too from what I recall, but nothing majorly widespread it seems.

I was playing for an hour or so, I never have particularly lengthy gaming sessions (because I'm paranoid about precisely this sort of thing happening).

I remember the Arkham Knight one being fairly common, at least.

KHlover

Banned
My laptop screen keeps going dark every few seconds when it's night in MGS V. Not completely black, but it gets way darker, just like when you don't move your mouse for a minute on the desktop. MGS V is the only game that has this problem and it drives me NUTS. Also happens during day, but way less frequently. WTF is going on. Power cable is plugged in btw, so it's not like I'm in some kind of power saving mode.

EDIT: "fixed" it by turned screen brightness during dimming to 100%. Still no idea what causes this behavior, but at least my screen doesn't go dark anymore.
EDIT2: NOPE, I didn't. WTF

Pretty sure this game is the result of Kojima being awestruck by GTAV's open world. I recall him praising it years back and now we have this massive open world Metal Gear that is just needlessly lifeless and mundane. A few days ago I was praising this as a pure Metal Gear game, but this was before the repetition started to settle in. I still stand by that statement to a degree as I do believe the stealth gameplay is the best it's ever been and the gameplay is just so damned fulfilling at times, but the utter lack of a concentrated narrative has me at this huge disconnect between gameplay and being invested in the gameplay.

When you're doing a million repetitive tasks because they're there and you have to and you have zero investment in any of it, you're just doing work instead of having fun and this is like the complete antithesis of a videogame and, IMO, Kojima himself. I'm still yet to finish it so who knows maybe stuff will happen that'll get me more invested in what I'm doing, but so far this game is the raging definition of why not everything needs to be open world.

Again it's just strange to me that Kojima made this. It isn't like him. I realize it's like Peace Walker but even that was a lot more story driven and interesting than this and that's just depressing considering my opinion of that game. Maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing anymore and tried to go down the modern game design checklist, or was forced to by Konami. At any rate I hope things change because as of right now this is possibly the most disappointed I've ever been in a game considering the long wait and especially its pedigree.

Ambitious

My side ops list seems to glitch from time to time. Sometimes, there's a "new" dot next to a mission I already completed (the checkbox is ticked). The mission title is white, too, instead of transparent. And I can actually do those missions again, while I get a warning message for others ("You have already completed this side op").

Mission 28, for instance:

COsunhGWwAA0W_v.jpg:large

I completed it again, but nothing changed.

skynidas

Banned
Mission 28, for instance:

COsunhGWwAA0W_v.jpg:large

I completed it again, but nothing changed.

i think the game just repopulates the map with the available pool of side ops unlocked. so even if you already did that one it will let you do it again. it doesn't mean that it won't count as completed, it just lets you replay it.

they don't want the map to be empty of side ops

Shahed

I've got my Base Development at Lv 48 and it takes about 15 minutes or so for them to process resources. Is there a faster way to get fuel or is that it? And will leaving the game running unattended for hours have them carry on with their job?

I've got a load of unprocessed stuff, but in order to expand my base in order to get the R&D needed for the gear, I'm literally having to wait hours unless I'm missing something

Novocaine

I'm sure someone's posted this already but it was pretty awesome.

Not story based spoilers but in game spoilers below.

So it was my birthday on the 10th, and while I was playing I went back to mother base and was greeted by Ocelot and the crew with a cake and got a song sung for me. Also the soldiers around the base wished me happy birthday too. Super dumb and super cool.

Can you replay missions on harder difficulties whenever you want or does that feature only trigger after certain progress?

I am on episode 21, can't seem to find any difficulty option for previously completed missions.

Can you replay missions on harder difficulties whenever you want or does that feature only trigger after certain progress?

I am on episode 21, can't seem to find any difficulty option for previously completed missions.

Nope.
In chapter 2 you will get some missions, that you have already played, that you have to play total stealth, subsistence or extreme)

Jintor

so clearing side ops has basically become the perfect podcast game. Listened to an ep of like four comedy podcasts and three or four panel shows/educational casts while just fultoning/assassinating dudes/fighting on FOBs.

I'll probably get bored of this in a week or so I guess

Moaradin

Just unlocked the medical bay. [BIG SPOILERS]
Is this Paz shit for real? How is this hugely important shit just some random scene that you can totally miss here?
Came out of nowhere lol.

rocK`

Banned
I got a weird question - but does having
Quiet
on your mission send you weird transmissions? I get this running loop of what sounds like a 30's song or something.

Early game side-op character spoiler on your base (the one that was spoiled in the giant bombcast :p ):
How the fuck did I miss that Paz was on my base in the medical room?! Did Miller say this on the radio after the wandering soldier side-op and I missed this somehow?
Oh and that's a pretty insulting GZ retcon, Kojima.

Nope.
In chapter 2 you will get some missions, that you have already played, that you have to play total stealth, subsistence or extreme)
Ah k, thanks

I got a weird question - but does having
Quiet
on your mission send you weird transmissions? I get this running loop of what sounds like a 30's song or something.
She hums when she's trained on a target and awaiting your command to fire.

Early game side-op character spoiler on your base (the one that was spoiled in the giant bombcast :p ):
How the fuck did I miss that Paz was on my base in the medical room?! Did Miller say this on the radio after the wandering soldier side-op and I missed this somehow?

Play it before you rage. That said it takes a loooong time to finish that mission chain.

Jintor

Finish her wandering soldier sidequest...

The library finally got the game in yesterday, so I borrowed it and started it this morning.

So far, I've only completed the Prologue and the first three missions. I'm not in love with the game, but it is growing on me after a slow start that made me question whether I was wasting my time.

I used to love this series, and really do respect it, but my interest has waned over the years and the craziness is a bit much at times. The whole opening was fucked up.

It'll likely get better, and I'll hopefully enjoy it more and more as I progress. I suck at it, though, so hopefully it won't get so difficult that I won't be able to beat it.

Audioboxer

Pretty sure this game is the result of Kojima being awestruck by GTAV's open world. I recall him praising it years back and now we have this massive open world Metal Gear that is just needlessly lifeless and mundane. A few days ago I was praising this as a pure Metal Gear game, but this was before the repetition started to settle in. I still stand by that statement to a degree as I do believe the stealth gameplay is the best it's ever been and the gameplay is just so damned fulfilling at times, but the utter lack of a concentrated narrative has me at this huge disconnect between gameplay and being invested in the gameplay.

When you're doing a million repetitive tasks because they're there and you have to and you have zero investment in any of it, you're just doing work instead of having fun and this is like the complete antithesis of a videogame and, IMO, Kojima himself. I'm still yet to finish it so who knows maybe stuff will happen that'll get me more invested in what I'm doing, but so far this game is the raging definition of why not everything needs to be open world.

Again it's just strange to me that Kojima made this. It isn't like him. I realize it's like Peace Walker but even that was a lot more story driven and interesting than this and that's just depressing considering my opinion of that game. Maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing anymore and tried to go down the modern game design checklist, or was forced to by Konami. At any rate I hope things change because as of right now this is possibly the most disappointed I've ever been in a game considering the long wait and especially its pedigree.

Story/Narrative wise it only gets worse. Assuming you haven't completed it. Unfinished as well. For the story I rank every other mainline MGS over it :( It only tops the rest on gameplay.

KHlover

Banned
Have to say, kicking enemies with the walker (a captured one at least) is suprisingly effective since enemies basically only go alarm mode when they're already close enough to get decked in the face.

Nameless

People complaining about the game being repetitive have only their own lack of creativity/imagination/strategy in approaching objectives to blame. Never mind Main Missions are actually pretty varied in the structure even if some of the core objectives are the same, but MGSV gives you more control over your experience than the vast majority of games--certainly more than other Metal Gears. Even spending the week mostly grinding side-ops, which are structurally more repetitive, offered so much moment-to-moment variety and unpredictability it's kinda absurd, really. Personally I'll be coming back to this sandbox for a looooooong time.

I'm really looking forward to trying (Chapter 2 mission)
the harder version of the Quiet fight. I was really disappointed in the normal one. It's such a cool boss arena, and I was all set for a redux of The End's fight, but Quiet was just trivially easy. Her scope reflect the sun constantly, so she's pretty hard to miss, and when she changes positions you can just follow the dust cloud she leaves behind. I shot her in the head five times with the rifle and she died; she never spotted me once. Bumping up the difficulty should make her fight an awful lot more engaging.

SomTervo

I tried to use the tank(s) mostly but they control horribly, impossible to drive and aim at the same time. Either way, i might give it a try tomorrow again.

Tanks are a good idea on paper but I think they make you far too large a target. Stay on-foot.

Ame

I just noticed there's a cutscene tab in the LOG menu, but no cutscenes. How do I get cutscenes in said tab?

Top Bottom