• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised people had trouble with Episode 16, I literally just completed it and it was one of the easiest missions I can think of to S rank.

People complaining about the game being repetitive have only their own lack of creativity/imagination/strategy in approaching objectives to blame.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The vast number of tools, the multiple infiltration routes, the systems all working together splendidly, the revamped stat bonuses; TPP puts the variety directly into the hands of the players.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
50 hours in and I finally beat chapter 1. I'll just consider everything that comes after this as an extra.

That is essentially exactly what it is.

I have a very strong suspicion that if the game actually stopped there, or the section post chapter 1 was named differently, I think there'd be a lot less complaining.

People complaining about the game being repetitive have only their own lack of creativity/imagination/strategy in approaching objectives to blame. Never mind Main Missions are actually pretty varied in the structure even if some of the core objectives are the same, but MGSV gives you more control over your experience than the vast majority of games--certainly more than other Metal Gears. Even spending the week mostly grinding side-ops, which are structurally more repetitive, offered so much moment-to-moment variety and unpredictability it's kinda absurd, really. Personally I'll be coming back to this sandbox for a looooooong time.

I especially like how side ops don't rank you, so you can go full Rambo mode and fuck shit up without getting penalized for it. I like to do full stealth on main missions, so side ops are a great opportunity to experiment with different weapons.

Sometimes I do resource raids with Quiet or D Walker and go apeshit.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but you can customize a silenced tranq sniper before you unlock one with the R&D team. Just found that out last night and thought it was pretty handy...

SJRB

Gold Member
I just noticed there's a cutscene tab in the LOG menu, but no cutscenes. How do I get cutscenes in said tab?

Pretty sure it keeps a transcript of the things said in a cutscene, so you can read it back afterwards in case you missed something. The log clears out though, so it won't keep a permanent record of all cutscene lines.

Jintor

the only problem is i have this compulsion if i analyse a soldier and see A+ or higher level stuff

if i could just say to myself "okay, we're gonna kill WHOEVER", i'd free up a lot more chaotic tactics.

I also wish I could just, like, deploy a small AI combat team or something. that would be sick.

Ame

Pretty sure it keeps a transcript of the things said in a cutscene, so you can read it back afterwards in case you missed something. The log clears out though, so it won't keep a permanent record of all cutscene lines.

Oh, ok. I was hoping it was some sort of cutscene theater. Wouldn't mind revisiting some scenes.

SkylineRKR

People complaining about the game being repetitive have only their own lack of creativity/imagination/strategy in approaching objectives to blame. Never mind Main Missions are actually pretty varied in the structure even if some of the core objectives are the same, but MGSV gives you more control over your experience than the vast majority of games--certainly more than other Metal Gears. Even spending the week mostly grinding side-ops, which are structurally more repetitive, offered so much moment-to-moment variety and unpredictability it's kinda absurd, really. Personally I'll be coming back to this sandbox for a looooooong time.

I think its a waste of time to retry the same missions in a slightly different way. See, this is my problem with open world stuff. You can do this, and you can do that.. because you can. In the end you're doing the same mission, getting pretty much the same things.

But the stuff thats important to me, such as a great level layout (classic MGS, Bloodborne etc) is nowhere to be seen and is hardly possible in these open world games. Free roam makes Africa and Afghanistan totally uninteresting, same guardposts everywhere. Where is a MGS2 Tanker?

And I don't think the gunplay in this game is all that fantastic to begin with. I never liked going rambo in MGS in general because the gameplay isn't up to snuff. MGSV isn't really different, the cover system is unwieldy, AI turns to dumb as shit and the gunplay is far from Destiny or Wolf or whatever.

You just shoot it until it dies...

I felt the same way.
Metal Gear Rex was a better giant robot fight back in 1998. Fighting all those Rays was fucking rad. The Shagohod had like four different phases and just kept coming back. Sahelanthropus... you just shoot it in the middle until all its health is gone. It doesn't have any countermeasures against you, no interesting tactics, you don't have to knock out a weakpoint to make it vulnerable, no additional phases, nothing. It's an awesome looking robot, but the fight itself is just bland.

Kama_1082

Banned
Ok, I'm.not getting 150 because..? Please help, I'm desperate

there's a scientist that needs to be exiled? How does this happen?

There's a mission early in the game where I'm supposed to
blow up three tanks.

I don't know how to do it, or I'm missing something obvious. None of the weapons I have would accomplish that.

Ratrat

I felt the same way.
Metal Gear Rex was a better giant robot fight back in 1998. Fighting all those Rays was fucking rad. The Shagohod had like four different phases and just kept coming back. Sahelanthropus... you just shoot it in the middle until all its health is gone. It doesn't have any countermeasures against you, no interesting tactics, you don't have to knock out a weakpoint to make it vulnerable, no additional phases, nothing. It's an awesome looking robot, but the fight itself is just bland.
Shoot the canisters on his back for extra damage, aid the choppers by shooting the missiles, use Quiet to distract him, call down barrages when he's doing his railgun attack or hit L2 and shoot it in the face to cancel it are things I noticed in my few trys against him. He is 100x better than the Shagohod and any boss in Peace Walker and MGS4. And really, 'shoot it until it dies' could be applied to most of the bosses in all the games.

CHC

I felt the same way.

Yeah the fight was
TERRIBLE. Not to mention the area it takes place in - just a random section of road, not contextual or anything. And like you said, no phases, no cutscenes between, no real feeling of meaning or finality. When it started I was just like... "k, I guess they want me to fight this thing now." And yeah, his attacks are all so.... boring. Just typical monster ground pounds and missile barrages. I couldn't even really dodge them reliably so I just tanked the damage which was also kind of silly. The laser beam charge up was cool though, I liked that bit at least!

jett

D-Member
Well this is bullshit. A hacker invaded my MB, he put everyone on the base to sleep all at once according to the log. It's bullshit that you can't message or report people on Steam. You can't do shit. Fucking Konami.

Story/Narrative wise it only gets worse. Assuming you haven't completed it. Unfinished as well. For the story I rank every other mainline MGS over it :( It only tops the rest on gameplay.

I believe it. So this just happened, after my rant I booted the game up and did another story mission. And it was actually fine and ended with a decent development which sort of got me excited about the story, and then nothing really came of it and I was just back to accepting my next round of busywork. That's been this entire game so far. I don't want 20 hours of cutscenes, I just want one that strikes a happy medium between story and gameplay. Kojima has never nailed this, although the utter lack of eventful storytelling is kind of making me appreciate MGS4's overstuffed and sometimes ridiculous story.

The first three games were the closest to achieving the best harmony between story and gameplay, but even those had really bad run-on cutscenes, like the meeting with Stillman in MGS2. I think MGS3 probably had the most efficient storytelling next to the original.

So I was doing a mission with quiet and apparently she was close to death or something and she was extracted now when I go to do other missions she is unavailable to select...any ideas how to get her back? I'm at mission 31 atm

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah the fight was
TERRIBLE. Not to mention the area it takes place in - just a random section of road, not contextual or anything. And like you said, no phases, no cutscenes between, no real feeling of meaning or finality. When it started I was just like... "k, I guess they want me to fight this thing now." And yeah, his attacks are all so.... boring. Just typical monster ground pounds and missile barrages. I couldn't even really dodge them reliably so I just tanked the damage which was also kind of silly. The laser beam charge up was cool though, I liked that bit at least!

What? Fight was awesome. Easily the best of its type in any MGS. That there are no cut-scenes to break it up is a GOOD thing as it makes it genuinely tense. If you want to change the way the battle flows
aim for and destroy the parts that enable certain attacks. Doing that you can control the battle and get to use the various vehicles scattered around the terrain.

CHC

So I was doing a mission with quiet and apparently she was close to death or something and she was extracted now when I go to do other missions she is unavailable to select...any ideas how to get her back?

Just wait, I think she gets put in medical or something for a little bit. Don't worry you can't kill buddies in the field by accident - you just lose some reputation with them.

I got on D-Horses bad side trying to take some tanks out while riding on him... Poor guy was covered in blood and my bond dropped like 3 points.

He is 100x better than the Shagohod and any boss in Peace Walker and MGS4. And really, 'shoot it until it dies' could be applied to most of the bosses in all the games.

I wouldn't say any of MGSV's scant few bosses are particularly remarkable, relative to the rest of the series. I found Quiet and Sahelanthropus trivially easy, and Eli just plain annoying until I realised I could just plug him with a rubber bullet headshot. The Man on Fire could have been really interesting, as it's such an unusual archetype for a Metal Gear game, but again it just got frustrating because I couldn't really work out what I was supposed to do and this game's Codec is basically useless. I hit him with every environmental hazard in the area and he just kept coming, then eventually it just started raining.

I thought MGS4 had pretty great bosses. Crying Wolf alone is a better fight than anything V has to offer. And the Shagohod and bike chase are like a top 5 GOAT video game ending setpiece. I won't argue Peace Walker, because I think that game's terrible and all its bosses are trash, but I feel MGSV drops the ball hard on bossfights.

Ratrat

Is there a map anywhere online that shows the npc locations on MB? The thing is ridiculous to navigate.
I wouldn't say any of MGSV's scant few bosses are particularly remarkable, relative to the rest of the series. I found Quiet and Sahelanthropus trivially easy, and Eli just plain annoying until I realised I could just plug him with a rubber bullet headshot. The Man on Fire could have been really interesting, as it's such an unusual archetype for a Metal Gear game, but again it just got frustrating because I couldn't really work out what I was supposed to do and this game's Codec is basically useless. I hit him with every environmental hazard in the area and he just kept coming, then eventually it just started raining.

I thought MGS4 had pretty great bosses. Crying Wolf alone is a better fight than anything V has to offer. And the Shagohod and bike chase are like a top 5 GOAT video game ending setpiece. I won't argue Peace Walker, because I think that game's terrible and all its bosses are trash, but I feel MGSV drops the ball hard on bossfights.
Did you miss the water tank in the Man on Fire boss? There are two of them and Kaz basically points it out to you.
I agree with Quiet even though I cheesed it. I thought the Skulls fight at the airport was pretty fun and he Eli fight was at least interesting and brief. I went in with low expectations but so far I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

Truant

Are you supposed to do anything in the first town in the first mission? I placed a marker there during the tutorial, but the game tells me to go to the orange marker a kilometer away.

CHC

What? Fight was awesome. Easily the best of its type in any MGS. That there are no cut-scenes to break it up is a GOOD thing as it makes it genuinely tense. If you want to change the way the battle flows
aim for and destroy the parts that enable certain attacks. Doing that you can control the battle and get to use the various vehicles scattered around the terrain.

Well opinions differ of course, I'm glad you had a good time though! I just didn't feel much
narrative attachment to what was going on with it and I felt like I was battling a big dumb monster rather than a precise, smart killing machine.

Bittercup

Ok, I'm.not getting 150 because..? Please help, I'm desperate

there's a scientist that needs to be exiled? How does this happen?
Do you have the butterfly emblem? If yes remove it.
I had it when I did mission 43 and even after removing it side ops 150 didn't unlock right away. I had to replay mission 41 to get 2 new cassette tapes
interrogation with the scientist about him being suspicious
and then do a few side ops until you get contacted to come back to mother base and the story continues automatically and side ops 150 should unlock.
I did replay mission 43 as well just in case but I don't think anything different happened so it's probably not necessary.

Fury451

Banned
So I'm having a massive problem moving Quiet. I didn't use her much the first time through, but now that I'm trying again, she seems just sits in one location and is eventually out of ear shot. That means I can't command her to fire, she doesn't cover, and she doesn't relocate. Does anybody know what the deal is with that?

Chariot

So I'm having a massive problem moving Quiet. I didn't use her much the first time through, but now that I'm trying again, she seems just sits in one location and is eventually out of ear shot. That means I can't command her to fire, she doesn't cover, and she doesn't relocate. Does anybody know what the deal is with that?
iDroid, Mission Tab. You can give your buddies orders.

By playing the game. She needs to rest.

Just wait, I think she gets put in medical or something for a little bit. Don't worry you can't kill buddies in the field by accident - you just lose some reputation with them.

I got on D-Horses bad side trying to take some tanks out while riding on him... Poor guy was covered in blood and my bond dropped like 3 points.

That is kinda lame. Want to use her for some missions. How long to wait?

Edit lol can use her now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well this is bullshit. A hacker invaded my MB, he put everyone on the base to sleep all at once according to the log. It's bullshit that you can't message or report people on Steam. You can't do shit. Fucking Konami.

Uh, you can. Highlight their name and G. Report their Steam profile.

So, during episode 11,
I was doing the encounter against Quiet and I managed to sneak up on her but couldn't do anything, there was no prompt to grab her physical attacks didn't connect. Was it a glitch because you're not supposed to be able to get near her?

AGoodODST

I think I'm starting to burn out on this now. How many missions are there in total?

Sometimes this game is stupid as fuck. I just finished the mission where
you rescue the old man Code Talker or whatever and after getting in the chopper, you get a cutscene where the helicopter is attacked then "To Be Continued" appears and Snake is back in the ACC. You choose the next mission and the cutscene resumes. What is the point.

Alright, here's a video of me fighting a certain
optional
boss. Don't watch if you are pre-mission 28.
It's the Extreme version of the sniper duel in the Code Talker mission.
This is one of my favourite fights in MGSV, and proof that the game does have some stellar encounters in it! In particular the way the terrain is set up purely for this fight is a match for even
The End's
area design.

http://youtu.be/OEU3WImlDOw

Ratrat

Alright, here's a video of me fighting a certain
optional
boss. Don't watch if you are pre-mission 28.
It's the Extreme version of the sniper duel in the Code Talker mission.
This is one of my favourite fights in MGSV, and proof that the game does have some stellar encounters in it! In particular the way the terrain is set up purely for this fight is a match for even
The End's
area design.

Yeah, that was a really cool setup. I'm sure there a dozens of ways to go about it. Wish I had the skill to do the hard difficulties.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think I'm starting to burn out on this now. How many missions are there in total?

Sometimes this game is stupid as fuck. I just finished the mission where
you rescue the old man Code Talker or whatever and after getting in the chopper, you get a cutscene where the helicopter is attacked then "To Be Continued" appears and Snake is back in the ACC. You choose the next mission and the cutscene resumes. What is the point.

The point is obvious:

The next mission is going to be a huge fight, and since you just did an infiltration mission you are probably not equipped to take on such a fight. The game cuts to a "to be continued" and puts you back in the ACC so you can properly prepare for the upcoming fight.

Peace Walker did this all the time.

Top Bottom