• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

No. Because you won't get two missions if you use it.

That said, you're able to get past those two missions if you keep it.

Huh, there was that news that using the butterfly emblem prevents potential corrupt saves in two missions and so I've been using it ever since, what does the bolded mean?

So much talk about missing missions, things only triggering if you do this and that, it's making me nervous about missing content.

Someone should make a spoiler free guide on how not to miss certain things / to trigger everything that can be triggered. As much as this game is designed for multiple play throughs, it would be cool to experience as much as possible on the first run.

ElNarez

Banned
1) get the cargo Fulton
2) run around back of the airport to where the truck is parked
3) Fulton the truck
4) hook around to the right of where the truck was, look for a shipping container
5) hop on top of the container, Fulton it, then hold on tight!
6) S-rank, baby

how do I deal with the four fucking Skull Unit assholes smashing the truck down? They pop up IMMEDIATELY whenever you get close

Apathy

So I'm having a massive problem moving Quiet. I didn't use her much the first time through, but now that I'm trying again, she seems just sits in one location and is eventually out of ear shot. That means I can't command her to fire, she doesn't cover, and she doesn't relocate. Does anybody know what the deal is with that?

iDroid, Mission Tab. You can give your buddies orders.

I got a tip for you guys in case you didn't find it yet. You don't have to go to the missions tab to move quiet. You can do it from the map one and save yourself some extra time. In the idroid when selected and you get the map screen first, click on the direction pad up or down and it will cycle from placing/removing markers to other actions, one of which is quiet scouting and quiet attack (which only moves her to a sniping spot, she won't attack until you tell her). There is also an option to resupply and one for the helicopter pickup and one to remove all markers.

Hypron

how do I deal with the four fucking Skull Unit assholes smashing the truck down? They pop up IMMEDIATELY whenever you get close

They don't see very well. Simply lure them away from the truck (they tend to walk in your direction even when they are not alerted yet), using a decoy if necessary. Walk around them keeping your distance and extract the truck.

I kited them around until I had an opening to fulton the truck, though I don't know if that works in the recommended strat which takes you to the airport.

Menthuss

Out of curiosity, do you ever get (minor gameplay spoilers)
a different helicopter? I initially thought we would when I saw the chassis option in the customize menu but so far I've only had upgrades for the default chopper.
I'm on mission 34 btw.

cackhyena

I got a tip for you guys in case you didn't find it yet. You don't have to go to the missions tab to move quiet. You can do it from the map one and save yourself some extra time. In the idroid when selected and you get the map screen first, click on the direction pad up or down and it will cycle from placing/removing markers to other actions, one of which is quiet scouting and quiet attack (which only moves her to a sniping spot, she won't attack until you tell her). There is also an option to resupply and one for the helicopter pickup and one to remove all markers.
I only learned about this last night. I can't believe I'm still finding all these little nuances to controls this far in.

Bittercup

Huh, there was that news that using the butterfly emblem prevents potential corrupt saves in two missions and so I've been using it ever since, what does the bolded mean?
No not using Quiet as your buddy in those missions is to prevent the save corruption problem. I don't think the butterfly emblem has any effect on that.

The butterfly emblem is there to stop medium spoiler (not a story spoiler):
Quiet's story from progressing

which leads to big spoiler:
her no longer being available as a buddy.

N° 2048

So much talk about missing missions, things only triggering if you do this and that, it's making me nervous about missing content.

Someone should make a spoiler free guide on how not to miss certain things / to trigger everything that can be triggered. As much as this game is designed for multiple play throughs, it would be cool to experience as much as possible on the first run.

You will miss content on your first play through. This is Metal Gear after all.

It reminds me of Bloodborne. If you don't have experience with the previous titles in the series then you might be lost.

Macrotus

I did it in a similar way up to step 3. Right after the mission starts, go right to the airport. The truck should still be parked. When you sneak up to it, The skull unit cut scene starts. Immediately after the cut scene ends, run to the truck asap. Fulton it. Then run to the exit. While running to the exit, call your d-horse by whistling. Hop and continue to the exit and run outside the hot zone. You'll get attacked, but you'll make it. I got an "S" by doing this.

The exit of the airport should be to the right if you sneak from behind the truck. You need to run a little though. And don't forget to take your d-horse

Mission 16 is the worst fucking mission in this game so far and I hate it. Fuck the fucking truck, fuck the fucking Skull Unit, fuck everything, it's the opposite of fun.

This is such a funny reaction.

I had a checkpoint right before the truck was about to escape. I was trying everythig.

Finally I realized I could snipe each of the trucks tires to buy just enough time to request a supply drop for a tank I had fultoned earlier.

Skulls didn't stand a chance against the tank.

I almost made it with a grenade launcher too.

No not using Quiet as your buddy in those missions is to prevent the save corruption problem. I don't think the butterfly emblem has any effect on that.

The butterfly emblem is there to stop medium spoiler (not a story spoiler):
Quiet's story from progressing

which leads to big spoiler:
her no longer being available as a buddy.
Konami said it themselves -

However, you may still safely use Quiet in these missions if you use the Butterfly Emblem throughout the mission
http://www.konami.jp/mgs_portal/jp/info/?id=677

So, if I want the Quiet
story arc to continue
, I shouldn't use the butterfly emblem?

I just fultoned the truck and ran away on D-Horse. Don't know why everyone gets so bent on fighting them when everything up to that point has told you to run from them

Mission 45 wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be...I beat it on my first try actually. Now, getting the S rank, that might be really hard, I haven't tried that yet.

Mission 45 wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be...I beat it on my first try actually. Now, getting the S rank, that might be really hard, I haven't tried that yet.

It took me about a dozen tries.
It was that stupid tank all the way out there that has pin-point accuracy and kills you in one shot.

When you remove the emblem and you load the ACC or mother base the Side Ops 150 will trigger and right after it's mission 45. I did it after I completed the game.
Ah so as soon as you remove the emblem, the story missions that are disabled because of it will show up then, and you can't pass some point where you can no longer get those missions at all?

roytheone

So I just wandered around mother base, entered a random door and

A (probably) pretty important story cutscene started that showed Paz was still alive. Are there more of these "hidden" cutscenes in mother base, and if so, is there a spoiler free list that I can look at to make sure I don't miss any? Really don't feel like walking around my whole base from time to time to search for cutscenes :(

Vik

Banned
Any ways to unequip the rifle and handgun? I want to do my missions OSP like in the
subsistence mode
but can't seems to unequip them.

also, is there a way to open the loadout menu without having to select a mission?

N° 2048

So I just wandered around mother base, entered a random door and

A (probably) pretty important story cutscene started that showed Paz was still alive. Are there more of these "hidden" cutscenes in mother base, and if so, is there a spoiler free list that I can look at to make sure I don't miss any? Really don't feel like walking around my whole base from time to time to search for cutscenes :(

Wow, now I know what I'm doing tonight.

Trying every door at Mother Base.

Downhome

I am well behind most everyone here, but I'm taking my time with the game and just enjoying it as much as I can. I am at 32 hours and 30 minutes, and only 10% overall completion and 23 mission completion.

I just completed Mission 12, and it just blew me away. After having a bit of trouble with it, I finally beat it...

Here is how I did it. I took out a bunch of people at that power supply area to start with. I hid at one of those places, turning it off, letting someone come to turn it back on, taking them out, then turning it off and doing that over and over again, lol. I took out maybe 5-6 guys. It turns out, the ones they kept sending were the ones surrounding the building Emmerich was being kept in. It became daytime, so when I turned the lights off it didn't alert them anymore, so I had to run from there to that building in broad daylight. I got there, and no one was watching anymore so I could walk right in. When I left with the guy, I did it in daylight, no alerts at all, and I ran from the Metal Gear without being spotted at all. That was amazing, lol

One thing though...

I didn't take the walker, I extracted him on foot. I didn't realize I could take the walker AND extract him at the same time, I didn't know I could pick him up with it. Did I just lose out on that buddy? Is there a way to get it back now other than replaying that mission?

spyder_ur

So I have 3 Secure Blueprint missions that I can't advance (IR-Sensor, Gun-Cam, and UA. My theory is that I picked them up in missions to the same area before, because when I interrogate and get the location it comes up with a check mark. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know what upgrades these correspond to so I can check that they're open?

I am well behind most everyone here, but I'm taking my time with the game and just enjoying it as much as I can. I am at 32 hours and 30 minutes, and only 10% overall completion and 23 mission completion.

I just completed Mission 12, and it just blew me away. After having a bit of trouble with it, I finally beat it...

Here is how I did it. I took out a bunch of people at that power supply area to start with. I hid at one of those places, turning it off, letting someone come to turn it back on, taking them out, then turning it off and doing that over and over again, lol. I took out maybe 5-6 guys. It turns out, the ones they kept sending were the ones surrounding the building Emmerich was being kept in. It became daytime, so when I turned the lights off it didn't alert them anymore, so I had to run from there to that building in broad daylight. I got there, and no one was watching anymore so I could walk right in. When I left with the guy, I did it in daylight, no alerts at all, and I ran from the Metal Gear without being spotted at all. That was amazing, lol

One thing though...

I didn't take the walker, I extracted him on foot. I didn't realize I could take the walker AND extract him at the same time, I didn't know I could pick him up with it. Did I just lose out on that buddy? Is there a way to get it back now other than replaying that mission?

That walker's not a buddy. You'll get him soon just by playing through the story.

CHC

You have a few seconds from when they appear to when they actually notice you, it's definitely enough time to run up and Fulton the truck and then make a dash for it. Wear the battle armor if you have it unlocked.

Good luck!

Fuck me... Developing a N
uke
make you loose 50k heroism... I didn't know that, in 14h I won't see any shiny S rank soldiers anymore :/

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So I have 3 Secure Blueprint missions that I can't advance (IR-Sensor, Gun-Cam, and UA. My theory is that I picked them up in missions to the same area before, because when I interrogate and get the location it comes up with a check mark. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know what upgrades these correspond to so I can check that they're open?

The checkmarks should represent Blueprints that you can still analyze or collect in boxes. Go to the checkmarks to check it out, no pun intended.

They relate to Base Security which comes into play for FOB missions I believe.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fuck me... Developing a N
uke
make you loose 50k heroism... I didn't know that, in 14h I won't see any shiny S rank soldiers anymore :/

Someone earlier in the thread said you could
immediately turn around and dispose of the nuke to get some heroism points back. So you get the trophy while mitigating your loss.

spyder_ur

The checkmarks should represent Blueprints that you can still analyze or collect in boxes. Go to the checkmarks to check it out, no pun intended.

They relate to Base Security which comes into play for FOB missions I believe.

Thanks, yeah I've gone to the spots and there is nothing there which makes me think that I already picked them up but the Side Op is still there.

Paasei

I seem to have an issue, or I just have no idea why this happens. I have bought Quiet a grade 4 lethal rifle and a grade 5 non-lethal rifle.
The thing is I can't seem to equip her with either of them for some reason. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

It might be worth saying that my bond level with her is 100.

Top Bottom