• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Lol he isn't.

So many tapes where Miller or Ocelot are directly addressing "Boss", yet no one fucking replies :lol

Bet Kiefer wasn't even in the booth while recording that stuff.

I really wish people would stop saying "BUT HE TALKS LOADS IN THE TAPES!!!!!". No he fucking doesn't. He's a bit less Ryan Gosling than in the cutscenes and general gameplay, but not by much.

Ludens

Banned
Because for some missions, speed is the most important factor that determines your rank. I don't know why they did it, but that's just how it is. Completing mission tasks will boost your score a lot, too.

I know, but I didn't do optional task in any of my run. I think the time factor is really stupid. A basically perfect run rewarded with an A, with a dirty one with checkpoints reloaded with a S.

What I do not really like, anyway, it's the fact you can literally jump into a story mission just by following a side op or wandering into free roaming mode. I mean, it could be good like
Quiet fight
, I really didn't expect that but I managed to S rank that fight on my first attempt, but
Huey side-mission
turning into a main is a bit stupid: I agree it's logical from a story point, but from a gameplay one you risk to start that mission totally unprepared and without ammo.

Lol he isn't.

So many tapes where Miller or Ocelot are directly addressing "Boss", yet no one fucking replies :lol

Bet Kiefer wasn't even in the booth while recording that stuff.

People are going through the files on the PC version and finding loads of cut dialogue. Like Kiefer actually recorded lines where he interacted with Paz during her scenes in the Medical Bay.

mcz117chief

Guys, are there audio options in the game? Because for some bizarre reason they are missing in Ground Zeroes. Don't tell me it is the same here!

I think what is continuously frustrating me about Big Boss being a non-reactive sideline watcher is that on the tapes and in SOME cutscenes he is perfectly emotive, sometimes grizzled, sometimes sassy, sometimes angry. Sutherland's voice acting is good and very subtle which makes scenes where Boss is silent and doesn't blink so jarring. I just saw 2 cutscenes in a row
Quiet almost knifing that dude's esophagus and then Boss bringing Eli back to base (even tho Quiet tranqed him and deserves all credit)
where Boss talks, reacts and conversates. So why the everloving fuck doesn't he in others? The problem is the game is inconsistent in its portrayal of Boss. They can't decide what they want him to be. It's so jarring and takes me out of the game entirely.

I think it fits with a more mature Big Boss.

Remember the scene before the fight with The Boss in MGS3? He litterally just said two sentences: "...being patriotic?" and "Boss!".

Remember when Volgin tells about the Philosophers legacy before they fight in MGS3? He doesn't say a thing.

In MGS3 he mostly spoke in codec sequences, and most of the time where either naive talk, or stupid talk of a green Snake.

In Peace Walker he talked more, except when he was in front of something hard for him to swallow.

MGSV silent Big Boss I think is better for his character at that point of age and experience.

I really wish people would stop saying "BUT HE TALKS LOADS IN THE TAPES!!!!!". No he fucking doesn't. He's a bit less Ryan Gosling than in the cutscenes and general gameplay, but not by much.

It's funny that you call him Ryan Gosling, considering Kojima went apeshit for Drive when it was out. Wonder if that influenced his decision to have a quieter Snake.

Carbonox

I prefer this Big Boss to any other incarnation of him. There are instances where I wish he would say something but then I just think he's staying silent cos he wants to sock the twat in the face who's speaking to him but is just holding back.

Maybe it's just me but whenever Snake covers his face during a sandstorm or when he gets too close to a chopper, the grunt he makes sounds like Hayter.

M45:
My god this is a pain in the ass. There's a sandstorm happening (I don't even know if this one is scripted) that makes everything worse, since you can't make use of it to fulton the tanks. Instead I have to wait for it to pass, because if I clear things too soon, reinforcements come and among them is a tank that instakills me. I don't even see the missile, it feels like I stepped on a mine. I lost count of how many supply drops I'm requesting. Really ridiculous.

I hate Peace Walker and this game screamed Peace Walker 2 throughout the campaign, but this mission in particular solidified that impression to a 100%.

Can I skip this mission? Are the few unique missions in chapter 2 up with the best of chapter 1?

hertog

Actually got the CE, guess I'm going to play this. Huge metal Gear, but I hate open world games

I'm gonna hate this right :(

At least the arm looks nice on my shelf

Actually got the CE, guess I'm going to play this. Huge metal Gear, but I hate open world games

It's not like other Open World games. This is not a collectaton, the open world is functional to your mission planning.

Furyous

It's confined open world and gets substantially easier as you make more friends. Whatever you don't use an FOB because fuck Konami's free to play bullshit. You'll hate the in-game timers for building stuff and go WTF at one of the missions after 11.

Depends. This game utilizes it's open-world in a very different way than most open-world games. It might be more fair to refer to it as a sandbox game. While most open-world games (I'm looking at you AC) are about having a ton of different linear activities to do at any given moment.

MGSV is more about doing one core activity (infiltrating) but letting you use the open-world, the large variety of items and weapons, and the various buddies, to do that activity in as many different ways as you can think of.

Emarv

M45:
My god this is a pain in the ass. There's a sandstorm happening (I don't even know if this one is scripted) that makes everything worse, since you can't make use of it to fulton the tanks. Instead I have to wait for it to pass, because if I clear things too soon, reinforcements come and among them is a tank that instakills me. I don't even see the missile, it feels like I stepped on a mine. I lost count of how many supply drops I'm requesting. Really ridiculous.

I hate Peace Walker and this game screamed Peace Walker 2 throughout the campaign, but this mission in particular solidified that impression to a 100%.

It's the worst. Just power through it and run back and forth behind the building. It's awful but I'm pulling for you.

Totally agree with your last point.

I also hate open world games but I adore Phantom Pain, for what it's worth. I have no idea why. I think it's just that good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is a Chapter 2/Combat Op question -

Do I need to complete the
Rescue the Peacekeepers combat op in order to see the true ending? It seems to require S rank soldiers and the chance of success is only 50%. I already failed it once, but I don't want to try again if it's not necessary.

Played a super early mission where I was supposed to take out the Spetznaz commander. I ran into one enemy, but subdued him and extracted him without raising any alarm. Then I snuck through the camp and got in the building with the commander without being spotted. Suddenly, for no reason at all, the soldiers in the camp started actively patroling on alert, guns out. I extracted the commander, but it was messy. Anyone know how this could have happened? I didn't get spotted and didn't leave any trace of my infiltration, why did the guards suddenly go on alert?

Glass

It's funny that you call him Ryan Gosling, considering Kojima went apeshit for Drive when it was out. Wonder if that influenced his decision to have a quieter Snake.

I didn't realise he went mad for Drive when it was out but yeah, this Snake totally reminds me of Drive. Except it pisses me off because he was already a pre existing character which spoke a bunch, and it was taken away. In Drive the characters always like that. He doesn't suddenly stop talking halfway through the film.

Aselith

This is a Chapter 2/Combat Op question -

Do I need to complete the
Rescue the Peacekeepers combat op in order to see the true ending? It seems to require S rank soldiers and the chance of success is only 50%. I already failed it once, but I don't want to try again if it's not necessary.

But it's 50% so you have guaranteed success now. That's how statistics work!

It's my birthday today
and upon returning to mother base I was shocked to find everyone greeting me and singing a birthday song
This fucking game haha.

Question about
The Quiet. I unlocked the command that allows her to shoot a grenade ricochet. But depending on something apparently, the command will either be "take aim" or "fire grenade ricochet."
How does this system work exactly?

Question about
The Quiet. I unlocked the command that allows her to shoot a grenade ricochet. But depending on something apparently, the command will either be "take aim" or "fire grenade ricochet."

Well you need a grenade equipped obvs, other than that I duuno, take aim might override it if you're looking straight at a target.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there some trick to the Destroy the Uranium Centrifuges dispatch mission? I've attempted it 4 times woth a 95% completion percentage and failed all four times and now I'm out of tanks.

-Deimos

So is there any way to take out a gunship with non-lethal means? I don't think the tranq sniper can penetrate the glass and it's impossible to line up a shot for this specific gunship anyway.

Well you need a grenade equipped obvs, other than that I duuno, take aim might override it if you're looking straight at a target.

I just have her equipped with her standard sniper rifle. It doesn't look like you can equip her with any sort of grenade gun, unless I'm missing something. And most of the time only the take aim option is available, but every so often it gives the option for a grenade ricochet.

I don't get it...

I just have her equipped with her standard sniper rifle. It doesn't look like you can equip her with any sort of grenade gun, unless I'm missing something. And most of the time only the take aim option is available, but every so often it gives the option for a grenade ricochet.

I don't get it...

YOU need grenade equipped, then when you throw it after the command she'll shoot at it and deflect it to a target.

There was a demo where they showed this off but I had no luck taking out a helicopter with it.

And the crazy ravine jump in that demo doesn't even work! He just hangs off the edge instead of jumping down.

-Deimos

I don't get it...
Aim the grenade, select the "grenade ricochet" command, then throw the grenade and Quiet will shoot it midair sending it flying towards the enemy/gunship.

Question about

Equip a grenade or any throwable
give grenade shot order
Then throw as close to the enemy u want hit possible
Shell hit it and itll ricochet towards it
Rinse and repeat til its dead
Choppers are so fun to take out this way

akira28

If you kill soldiers with your other crew members while on missions does it count against Snake for Demon Points?

I've been fultoning people to their death during sandstorms to get past that limitation. "snake...the weather's too bad, he'll never make it!"

"....too bad"

Top Bottom