• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

KarmaCow

How do you equip D Walker with something else? He's got 3 settings for me, and they're all the tranq pistol, and I can't figure out at all how to change any of them.

While in the ACC, go to customize in the Mother Base tab. You can define 3 loadouts for D-Walker there.

Permanently A

Some side-ops are repeatable. There are not only all at the same time active. The mapes are divided in different areas and there can only be one side-op be active in on area at a time.I know of no method to take down a gunship silently. Part of why they are my greatest fear.

Damn. I shot it down and it landed on a mountain outside the airport. Ran out to get it, MISSION COMPLETE. :/

Chariot

You get 120 demon points for mercy killing a wounded enemy as opposed to leaving them in the desert to bleed to death. Ok then.
You know, CP and patrols are a thing. They can be very reasonably be saved.
Damn. I shot it down and it landed on a mountain outside the airport. Ran out to get it, MISSION COMPLETE. :/
Haha, just start the mission anew and shoot the helicopter down before it arrives at the airport and then look if you can find the target and kill him.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you get the opportunity get spotted and watch the AI. (Equipment 'spoiler')
Stealth camo
helps.

The search AI is really fantastic. They gesture towards each other, cover corners and move in formation. It's really fluid, tactical stuff (at least with the PMC's, I'm not sure if I've paid attention to the other searches).

There was one moment in a mission that blew my mind with the AI reaction. It was a Side Op and I got spotted near a building. I ducked in and out a side window without being seen again. One of the guys waited until three others formed up around him then they did a breach and clear in the house. I haven't seen those animations, tactics, or dialogue again since that happened.

Oh man, whoever it was here who I saw recommend D-Walker for 2
with the Gatling Gun upgrade
is my favorite person ever. Took a try or two to get used to it, but it made that mission TRIVIAL.

KarmaCow

I'm assuming that if I dismiss a interpreter, the associated side op will pop back up again? They, along with some R&D people and GZ save transfer staff are starting to significantly impact the level of their respective divisions. If I dismiss GZ staff, will they come back at a higher level? If not, can I have them just languish in the waiting room or does that eventually get auto purged if they are never assigned to staff?

There are a couple with attributes like closer shot grouping but it does seem like for the most part it's cosmetic.

Chariot

There was one moment in a mission that blew my mind with the AI reaction. It was a Side Op and I got spotted near a building. I ducked in and out a side window without being seen again. One of the guys waited until three others formed up around him then they did a breach and clear in the house. I haven't seen those animations, tactics, or dialogue again since that happened.
Yeah, when you're sieged in a house, you are basically dead unless you call an airstrike (and even that could take too long). They smoke you out with granates, changing surpressing fire and actual breaches. It's also amazing how they generally react to usual things and report to HQ, even if they only investigate something. And when you knock them out after they informed HQ that they were looking at something suspicious, HQ will phone in at some point and ask if everything is okay and if the soldiers doesn't answer they will go into alert and send nearby guards to his last known position.

Side ops 52. The 2nd wandering mother base soldier. What. The. Fuck.

Dude can't be tranqed and it is impossible to sneak up on him. How do you do this.

brinstar

Dude can't be tranqed and it is impossible to sneak up on him. How do you do this.

Let him see you in a box, he'll walk right up to it and you can CQC him

EDIT: Also, if you've seen the hidden scene on the medical platform, play 'Love Deterrence' from your iDroid (use the cassette controls to turn the speaker on so he can hear it) and he'll also come right to you and let you extract him

Gvitor

Ok, so how do I go back to the ACC or MB after I start a mission? The options the game gives you after you die are "checkpoint, restart mission, and go to title menu", the same options it gives you if you press the pause button ingame. The title menu only offers "continue", and it puts you right back at the mission. If I exit the mission, it counts as a "death" and the game shows me the same options. The iDroid also doesn't have this option, apparently.

Is the checkpoint system on ps4 broken? I'm on mission 3, and it saved as I approached the mission compound (1am), and it saved again when the game clock reached 6am in the morning, but when I died it restarted me at the beginning of the compound again!!!!

Wasted a half-hour !!!!

Chariot

Anyone else purposely looking away from the credits that play at the start of each mission?
Why do they insist on ruining surprises?
Yeah, those are a pretty terrible design decision. I don't know what Kojima thought that would do for us.

This is the one time where you should think inside the box.

KarmaCow

A single tranq headshot will get him.

Or
you can get in your box and let him see it.

Or
play Paz's humming tape near him with the speaker.

i never used the box, barely used it in the game overall. whenever i go on one of those wandering mother base soldier missions i just equip a non lethal AR and just fire a whole clip at them.

Gvitor

Is the checkpoint system on ps4 broken? I'm on mission 3, and it saved as I approached the mission compound (1am), and it saved again when the game clock reached 6am in the morning, but when I died it restarted me at the beginning of the compound again!!!!

Wasted a half-hour !!!!

Oh, the stories about checkpoint problems I had with this game...

It's completely broken. I don't know if this a PS4 issue (I played in the PS4 as well), but damn. I feel your pain.

Chariot

i never used the box, barely used it in the game overall. whenever i go on one of those wandering mother base soldier missions i just equip a non lethal AR and just fire a whole clip at them.
The box is awesome. You can dive out of it and use it as disattraction to draw enemy attention or put posters on them for extra effects.

Yeah, those are a pretty terrible design decision. I don't know what Kojima thought that would do for us.

This is the one time where you should think inside the box.

Let him see you in a box, he'll walk right up to it and you can CQC him

EDIT: Also, if you've seen the hidden scene on the medical platform, play 'Love Deterrence' from your iDroid (use the cassette controls to turn the speaker on so he can hear it) and he'll also come right to you and let you extract him

Thank you both.

Haven't had as much time as I'd like to play this, but I just completed the
Honey Bee
mission and that was pretty fucking cool. Didn't trigger a single alert the entire way through, which included 2 small outposts and a larger outpost before reaching the area where the actual mission objective was. With every mission this game seems to get better.

Speaking of these W
andering
M
otherbase soldiers
, I feel like I should have unlocked more by now. Can anyone comment:

I'm in Chapter 2 and have completed WMBS 07 side-op, but nothing has unlocked after that. It's been quite a while and I thought they would have started to unlock again. I read that you need to complete mission 35 to start getting them again, but I've done that and nada.

KarmaCow

Speaking of these W
andering
M
otherbase soldiers

I'm in Chapter 2 and have completed WMBS 07 side-op, but nothing has unlocked after that. It's been quite a while and I thought they would have started to unlock again. I read that you need to complete mission 35 to start getting them again, but I've done that and nada.

Another open side op in the same area might be overriding it but I don't know what the requirements are exactly.

Serpico99

Idk if its just me but I am getting a lot of cutscenes in Chapter
. I did a lot of side ops before so that could be why. There seems to be more story.

RS4-

Speaking of these W
andering
M
otherbase soldiers

Yeah I think that's the last one I have unlocked as well. I'm only a mission behind you in progress. I think it's more story related to unlock, rather than just a matter of knocking out side ops until more open.

Haven't had as much time as I'd like to play this, but I just completed the
Honey Bee
mission and that was pretty fucking cool. Didn't trigger a single alert the entire way through, which included 2 small outposts and a larger outpost before reaching the area where the actual mission objective was. With every mission this game seems to get better.

That mission is level desing gold. Loved every second of it.

Alo0oy

Banned
I just finished mission 46.

OH MY GOD. Kojima, you've done it again, holy fucking shit. I'm going to the spoiler thread guys, this is insane.

antitrop

The decision to not have Snake talk much has never been as awkward as it is in this sequence at the end of Mission 30
My headcannon is that what the other person was saying to him was just so mind-numbingly dumb that he was completely incapable of speech at the time.

Because I know I was.

The cutscene immediately following is at least good for a laugh.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

OH MY GOD. Kojima, you've done it again, holy fucking shit. I'm going to the spoiler thread guys, this is insane.

112633-jonah-hill-oscars-cut-it-out-g-KPB5.gif

You may not like it there

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Post level 25 spoiler
How the hell do I identify who's sick? Do I need to go to Mother Base and check their mouths (which according to Ocelot it's something worth following up) or should I just do level 26?

Hey someone who's liking the story! Hope I'm like you when reaching that mission.

MMarston

Post level 25 spoiler
How the hell do I identify who's sick? Do I need to go to Mother Base and check their mouths (which according to Ocelot it's something worth following up) or should I just do level 26?

Who speaks Kikongo = Quarantine

Chariot

Post level 25 spoiler
There is a way to pick the right people, listen closely to the tapes. You can also just rush the story.
You need to finish chapter 29.

3 most satisfying sounds in the game for me so far

- knocking someone's helmet off with a high power rifle
- pelting someone with a riot gun's plastic bullets
- six million dollar man charge punching a sheep

when you lure 3 guys with a thrown empty ammo magazine and zap them with the stun arm, probably up there too but i think that's less for the sound effect and just more for the gameplay execution of a plan haha

i'm about 25 hours in now I guess, mostly just in Afghanistan, and really loving the free roam gameplay :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Who speaks Kikongo = Quarantine

*Facepalm* Of course,
language is one of the important themes in the game, and the knife scene should have made me think about it more.
Thanks

There is a way to pick the right people, listen closely to the tapes. You can also just rush the story.
You need to finish chapter 29.

Thanks!

MMarston

I have a mixed opinion on it, but I don't really mind it, if people are being pissy in the spoilers thread, then I'd rather not go there.

Hey man, I'm mixed/impartial/ok about it too and I still get to have my fun in that thread :)

But yeah, it's not the most positive thread right now either and also, you yourself would be surprised by what you find there info wise.

KarmaCow

I have a mixed opinion on it, but I don't really mind it, if people are being pissy in the spoilers thread, then I'd rather not go there.

I think most people now are just shaking their head at some of the decisions after cooling down and
lamenting that the game isn't finished

Gvitor

Did a quick search online and apparently I really can't get back to MB after I started mission 45. If that really is the case, I don't even know how to begin my complaints.

Thankfully I can restart the mission and there's a quiet area to wait for some upgrades and development, so I'll give it one more shot with a different RL as soon as it's complete.

But good god.

TitusTroy

how exactly is the Metal Gear Online multiplayer going to work?...the game is based on stealth so how would multiplayer matches work?...doesn't seem like they would be able to keep the stealth aspect and would have to make it a typical FPS MP

Top Bottom