• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Future

Can anyone stay online? If I connect, it takes forever. Then every load screen takes like 5 times as long. And eventually it just disconnects and goes offline

it's much harder to go rambo then it is to stealth, If you can blow their brains out you tranq them.

I'm going to try harder for stealth going forward. I had been scoping out areas, but I'd end up being seen or be too loud with my gun after its silencer had broken.

Ihyll

I'm still on the fence about this game :(

Thinking about getting it at Gamestop so I can at least trade it in if I don't like it

The reviews are all great and from the gameplay videos I've seen it looks like a beautiful game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm still on the fence about this game :(

Thinking about getting it at Gamestop so I can at least trade it in if I don't like it

The reviews are all great and from the gameplay videos I've seen it looks like a beautiful game

Have you... have you never played a Metal Gear before?

If not, at least go with Ground Zeroes first.

Gvitor

M45: I quit. Will watch on youtube.

This mission is ridiculous. There's a tank with homing missiles that shoots ridiculously fast. It even gets me behind covers and one-hit kills me. I got to the helicopter part a couple of times, and that seems to be the final part, but fuck it. I took a break for about an hour before trying again, and after that I already tried for about half an hour. Just nope. This isn't the game I want to play. There was no goddamn reason for them to be fighting those tanks to begin with. Just get out of there. Who the hell even owns all of this stuff and why (for story purposes) didn't they use them before at this capacity?

Alienous

If you get the opportunity get spotted and watch the AI. (Equipment 'spoiler')
Stealth camo
helps.

The search AI is really fantastic. They gesture towards each other, cover corners and move in formation. It's really fluid, tactical stuff (at least with the PMC's, I'm not sure if I've paid attention to the other searches).

SJRB

Gold Member
Having just finished mission 43 it's beyond obvious that something went catastrophically wrong at some point during development.

Why the FUCK would you place a mission like that as an afterthought? It would be the PERFECT catalyst for the whole "revenge" theme Chapter 1 fails miserably at. This should've been one of the first missions after you rescue Miller.

And then, after the mission is over,
you get this INSANE tape with Huey. Is that guy insane? Huey's personality switch is even bigger than Ocelot's.

I'm just so... confused. Nothing makes any sense, and not in the "hue hue clever ruse" kind of sense either.

Alienous

Having just finished mission 43 it's beyond obvious that something went catastrophically wrong at some point during development.

Why the FUCK would you place a mission like that as an afterthought? It would be the PERFECT catalyst for the whole "revenge" theme Chapter 1 fails miserably at. This should've been one of the first missions after you rescue Miller.

And then, after the mission is over,
you get this INSANE tape with Huey. Is that guy insane? Huey's personality switch is even bigger than Ocelot's.

I'm just so... confused. Nothing makes any sense, and not in the "hue hue clever ruse" kind of sense either.

Chapter 2 is where the concepts they couldn't fit into Chapter 1 are sent to die.

Don't worry though, you won't have that problem going forward.
Unlike Mission 43 the rest don't show promise, they just plain suck.

lawnchair

Banned
is anyone having recent glitchy troubles with this game? i keep getting stuck when pulling up the iDroid - it "loads" for ten or twenty seconds sometimes. now i'm completely stuck in the dispatch missions part of the iDroid and can't get out. the game isn't technically frozen - the screen is still moving, button inputs are being detected, sounds are being made, but shit isn't happening. . .

is anyone having recent glitchy troubles with this game? i keep getting stuck when pulling up the iDroid - it "loads" for ten or twenty seconds sometimes. now i'm completely stuck in the dispatch missions part of the iDroid and can't get out. the game isn't technically frozen - the screen is still moving, button inputs are being detected, sounds are being made, but shit isn't happening. . .

Try going offline. Worked for me.

Ihyll

Have you... have you never played a Metal Gear before?

If not, at least go with Ground Zeroes first.

I've never played a Metal Gear game before but it looks fun, the whole sneaking around and capturing enemies and stuff it looks fun. But I'm not sure if I'm patient enough to play through a long game like MGS5

SJRB

Gold Member
Chapter 2 is where the concepts they couldn't fit into Chapter 1 are sent to die.

Don't worry though, you won't have that problem going forward.
Unlike Mission 43 the rest don't show promise, they just plain suck.

Well that's not a comforting thought at all, haha.

What a mess.

SkylineRKR

M45: I quit. Will watch on youtube.

This mission is ridiculous. There's a tank with homing missiles that shoots ridiculously fast. It even gets me behind covers and one-hit kills me. I got to the helicopter part a couple of times, and that seems to be the final part, but fuck it. I took a break for about an hour before trying again, and after that I already tried for about half an hour. Just nope. This isn't the game I want to play. There was no goddamn reason for them to be fighting those tanks to begin with. Just get out of there. Who the hell even owns all of this stuff and why (for story purposes) didn't they use them before at this capacity?

Had no problems with this mission tbh, took me 1 retry.
I use the big rocket launcher with lock on, which is the final one you can make and make sure Quiet has the Sinful Butterly (or does she have it automatically here?). I kept standing behind the rock at the left side of the road for the whole fight. Place mines between waves on the left road, and it might help to put a few in front of the rock and to the far right side as well. Only aim at the middle briefly, but they won't really hit you when you are behind the rocks.

The ending is worth it, though you will lose her forever so I dunno if I can recommend doing this mission.

mcz117chief

Not really, no. Only can adjust the volume of Custom Music. That's it.

but-why-meme-face.jpg

I just can't understand that.

Gvitor

Had no problems with this mission tbh, took me 1 retry.
I use the big rocket launcher with lock on, which is the final one you can make and make sure Quiet has the Sinful Butterly (or does she have it automatically here?). I kept standing behind the rock at the left side of the road for the whole fight. Place mines between waves on the left road, and it might help to put a few in front of the rock and to the far right side as well. Only aim at the middle briefly, but they won't really hit you when you are behind the rocks.

The ending is worth it, though you will lose her forever so I dunno if I can recommend doing this mission.

I was staying near the houses, hiding behind them when necessary. I'm pretty sure Quiet has the Sinful Butterfly here, but the standalone guys aren't the problem, the tank with the homing missile is. It literally feels like I've stepped on a mine sometimes, because I just "explode" without even seeing where the missile is coming from. It happens even behind big covers. Everything before this was just god awful, but easy. I didn't die once before reaching this part. Every time I replay this, they're the ones killing me.

i'm offline by default because of server work or something right now, i think.

this has only been a problem for me as of yesterday or so.

Weird. This also started happening to me yesterday but going offline fixed it. Maybe go into the pause menu and make sure your in offline mode? I can't think of anything else. The reason for the freezing is that the iDroid tries to connect to the internet every time you open it.

Lanrutcon

Unlocked gun customisation and container futon. Also started working in the second area.

Reached full Demon at 12% without trying :( had to use cheat engine to reset my demon points. Apparently you get loaded with demon points for almost everything. Kinda silly.

catspit

Curious if I should save up my resources to use with FOB or just invest in mother base platforms.. In on mission 11 so a ways away from FOBs but my MB platforms are all lvl 2

SkylineRKR

I was staying near the houses, hiding behind them when necessary. I'm pretty sure Quiet has the Sinful Butterfly here, but the standalone guys aren't the problem, the tank with the homing missile is. It literally feels like I've stepped on a mine sometimes, because I just "explode" without even seeing where the missile is coming from. It happens even behind big covers. Everything before this was just god awful, but easy. I didn't die once before reaching this part. Every time I replay this, they're the ones killing me.

I've never been hit by it from my spot, it went down rather quickly. That sniper is also anti material. You can also call for air strikes.

Permanently A

In Mission 21 "The War Economy" where the fuck is the blueprint? I have legitimately interrogated and fultoned about 20 guys and none of them told me.

lawnchair

Banned
Weird. This also started happening to me yesterday but going offline fixed it. Maybe go into the pause menu and make sure your in offline mode? I can't think of anything else. The reason for the freezing is that the iDroid tries to connect to the internet every time you open it.

so now the frustration of using shitty technological devices in real life has been accurately ported into the world of videogames, fantastic.

"i can't play the game"

"why"

"because big boss' idroid has to connect to the internet and you know the internet sucks"

META

Chariot

Unlocked gun customisation and container futon. Also started working in the second area.

Reached full Demon at 12% without trying :( had to use cheat engine to reset my demon points. Apparently you get loaded with demon points for almost everything. Kinda silly.
Actually you get demonpoints for killing people, especially innocents and developing nukes. Stop killing people. :mad:
In Mission 21 "The War Economy" where the fuck is the blueprint? I have legitimately interrogated and fultoned about 20 guys and none of them told me.
It is told.
It's in the helicopter. Shoot it down.

J-Skee

Welp, just finished Mission 43.
That was kind of intense.
Gotta take a break now. Been at it for almost 12 hours. This game, man.

MG310

Any reason why one of the Side Ops isn't getting grayed out on my list? "Extract the HIghly-Skilled Soldier 02" is checked off but still white.

Loomba

Just finished mission 31. I'm not enjoying this much unfortunately. Feels like it was written by a child and the dialogue is atrocious.

And by the sounds of things chapter 2 is even worse.

Just gonna rush it and then bench it until MGO comes out I think.

Chariot

Any reason why one of the Side Ops isn't getting grayed out on my list? "Extract the HIghly-Skilled Soldier 02" is checked off but still white.
Some side-ops are repeatable. There are not only all at the same time active. The mapes are divided in different areas and there can only be one side-op be active in on area at a time.
Oh shit.
Is there any way to fulton the heli or shooting it down is the only way? Can I do it without alerting the guards?
I know of no method to take down a gunship silently. Part of why they are my greatest fear.

Setsuna

Thats weird I kill ALOT of people and still heroic

Just finished mission 31. I'm not enjoying this much unfortunately. Feels like it was written by a child and the dialogue is atrocious.

The writing for MGS has always been this bad, unfortunately. And yeah, as someone who just got done with that mission, it did come off as particularly stilted.

But hey! Having D-Horse rear up as flames raged around him was pretty cool!

RDreamer

How do you equip D Walker with something else? He's got 3 settings for me, and they're all the tranq pistol, and I can't figure out at all how to change any of them.

Lanrutcon

Actually you get demonpoints for killing people, especially innocents and developing nukes. Stop killing people. :mad:It is told.
It's in the helicopter. Shoot it down.

You get 120 demon points for mercy killing a wounded enemy as opposed to leaving them in the desert to bleed to death. Ok then.

Top Bottom