• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Randam

I feel like I fucked myself by not listening to the tapes as they come in. Now it's been mounting up towards it being a goddamn mess. Wish I could load everything to my phone and listen to it on my commutes or something.

No kidding, I didn't really care to listen to them, before I knew it I had over 95 tapes to listen to. No thanks.

I can muster to listen to them but I don't think there is ample moments to do it in the game. When I'm sneaking and have to take 18 things into account at the same time I don't want important story bits in my ears. And you can't listen to them during loading screens, lol.

Frankly I think the system is bad. Yes, codec calls needed to get replaced, but this doesn't feel better. It feels separated and clunky.
i just read them.

If you only click on the fast forward button, you switch to the next line.
just like you could with codec conversations in the old games.

unfortunatly, the tapes don't pause.
so I mute my PC and then read through them.

Formosa

1) Is there a way to lock on target after you see the target's status/ranks? I find it hard to avoid killing the target that I want to extract...

2) How can I know if I have successfully extracted someone? A lot of times I would miss the notification.

Griss

Welp, just beat the game (apparently). See y'all in the spoiler thread.

Also, I find it funny how many people are struggling with mission 4
when to me mission
remains by FAR the hardest in the game.

Randam

any reason, not to use the sneaking suit/battle sneaking suit all the time?

may, you won't be seen as easy, with the right camo, but being more silent is way more of an advantage imo.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
1) Is there a way to lock on target after you see the target's status/ranks? I find it hard to avoid killing the target that I want to extract...

2) How can I know if I have successfully extracted someone? A lot of times I would miss the notification.

1) L2 while using the scope to mark them. (Note: If you die and restart, the same guard you marked will still have a marker but his stats may not be the same)

2) You just have to see Extraction Successful x how many soldiers when you leave an area of combat.

may, you won't be seen as easy, with the right camo, but being more silent is way more of an advantage imo.

I don't like sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of the day when using the sneaking gear. I just use camo and then change my pace when creeping up on dudes.

Ratrat

Does this game have the tuxedo and how do I get it? They usually give it to you after beating the game...do you have to finish chapter 2?

KarmaCow

You really stand out in the day in most places but yea, reduced footstep noise is too good to pass up.

Does this game have the tuxedo and how do I get it? They usually give it to you after beating the game...do you have to finish chapter 2?

Someone found it along with other costumes while digging through the game but as of right now there is no way to get it.

LordAmused

EDIT= BEATEN

Formosa

1) L2 while using the scope to mark them. (Note: If you die and restart, the same guard you marked will still have a marker but his stats may not be the same)

2) You just have to see Extraction Successful x how many soldiers when you leave an area of combat.

I don't like sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of the day when using the sneaking gear. I just use camo and then change my pace when creeping up on dudes.

Thank you so much!! repped!!

Finalow

No seriously fuck this. What a load of bullshit. Gotten killed from a tank 200m away covered in dust 4 times in a row.
yes it's awful.

somehow I won first try but I was wondering "WHY ISN'T THIS CRAP OVER YET" all the time.

if you want to go scrub mode try to use stealth camo and steal a tank to kill the others, or just drop chopper bombs on them if you have the GMP.

Apathy

Seriously, fuck mission
31. Not only does that thing take up like 100 rockets to kill (from a 4 star rocket launcher), the last phase where the little kid (who I still think is psycho mantis) decides to not show up on one of the slowdowns so I can't shot him and stop the mech from instantly killing me with the rail gun thing. nd yes I am aiming for the head.
. This is the most frustrated I've been with a mission. Every other one I died or got caught cause it was my fault, this one is just plain dumb

Nuke Soda

Seriously, fuck mission
31. Not only does that thing take up like 100 rockets to kill (from a 4 star rocket launcher), the last phase where the little kid (who I still think is psycho mantis) decides to not show up on one of the slowdowns so I can't shot him and stop the mech from instantly killing me with the rail gun thing. nd yes I am aiming for the head.
. This is the most frustrated I've been with a mission. Every other one I died or got caught cause it was my fault, this one is just plain dumb

Use the tanks. You can get rid of a lot of its health that way and hitting those tanks perfectly on its back does a lot of damage.

Mupod

Seriously, fuck mission
Aim for the chest, not the head. I think you can take out the pods on his back for more damage too. And there's vehicles around, until they get rusted out. I remember not having much luck with my trusty LMG but my grenade launcher did tons of damage.

What's the fastest way to increase R&D Team Level. I need it so I can create a rocket launchers for mission

If you really want to speed things up and get it in a hurry just start tossing your highest ranked members from other teams into R&D until it's available to be developed. Once you start, doesn't matter if it's still in development, just put them all back where they belong.

brinstar

Seriously, fuck mission

D-Walker, bro. I savaged that thing with him.

Furyous

What's the fastest way to increase R&D Team Level. I need it so I can create a rocket launchers for mission

No, you don't need rocket launchers for the entire mission just the last part. Part a vehicle in front of the tanks then be near and fulton from behind. Wait, you might not be that far yet as far as R&D goes so scratch that strategy. Honestly, build stuff that's the way I did it. Expand platforms to at least level 2 and build stuff. That will get you to that point.

I'm too paranoid to go through a mission killing people left and right. I see potential to raise my teams at every turn so hearing about people's demon levels is crazy. I can't imagine the mission completion time for say mission 12 as you kill everyone.

sn00zer

Episode 23
Love the Lord of the Flies references covering the boy commander. He's holding a conch and has a pig on his uniform. Good shit and makes perfect sense given the character.

xxracerxx

No, you don't need rocket launchers for the entire mission just the last part. Part a vehicle in front of the tanks then be near and fulton from behind. Wait, you might not be that far yet as far as R&D goes so scratch that strategy. Honestly, build stuff that's the way I did it. Expand platforms to at least level 2 and build stuff. That will get you to that point.

The dude cannot even build a rocket launcher, no way in hell he has the Fulton at Cargo +2. Haha.

Cool Easter egg that ppl might not know, the mission that you rescue kaz where he says " boss say those magic words" you actually have to trigger it by pressing triangle/Y and BB does say kept you waiting, huh? I remember folks saying BB is silent lol

Big Boss: "It's raining."

zHBUn.gif

Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Apathy

Use the tanks. You can get rid of a lot of its health that way and hitting those tanks perfectly on its back does a lot of damage.

Aim for the chest, not the head. I think you can take out the pods on his back for more damage too. And there's vehicles around, until they get rusted out. I remember not having much luck with my trusty LMG but my grenade launcher did tons of damage.

D-Walker, bro. I savaged that thing with him.

Thanks, although I didn't read your comments before I actually succedded with the mission, I did just keep running around this cliff and finally killed it.

Two Words

Can anybody help me with this mission? Honestly, the mission structure is pretty much bullshit I forget the number of the mission, but it is in the 50s (I think 43?) and it goes from a side-op mission to a main mission. Is the kind of mission that you start in the middle of the situation instead of dropping in.

This is the mission when you help to recover Quiet and a dozen tanks come and attack you. This mission is pure bullshit, IMO. It's simply not fun and the chance for failure is so immediate. Everything I try, the tank will eventually one-shot me. What also sucks is that I cannot redeploy with new gear. I literally can do absolutely nothing in this game until I beat this mission. So that means every time I fail, I have to supply drop the gear I want. Any tips?

UrbanRats

Holy shit this (Quiet spoilers)
mission where I have to go get her in Afghanistan and get attacked by about 1,000 tanks is fucking terrible. If only it would let me back out of it and get D Walker but nope. Bullshit.

Hello kind sir, welcome to hell.

This mission is almost the only thing I did all afternoon.

Weird, i beat it on the first try, though it's definitely intense.

Use
airstrikes, use the most powerful rocket launcher you have (mine was the GROM) and move from left to right of the broken building every once in a while.
Get supply drops when you finish the rockets.

another thing to do if you just need a level or two of R&D is just sort All Units by R&D Ability Descending, and find a few units that have A or B in R&D but also something else, and that caused them to auto-sort into that something else. or, even their R&D is a B to their Support A, just switch them from Support to R&D. I sort All Units by Base Management and then R&D first, and make sure those two are always full of the best units first because I don't use much in-field Support or Intel, and I'm usually always wishing I had more GMP or R&D because I like to buy and experiment with as many guns as possible haha.

Sometimes it's worth checking regardless though because auto-manage can make small mistakes. I manually manage most of my soldiers every 10 hours or so, and usually do a quick check of new soldiers (with the 'new star' beside them) after most missions or side ops just to make sure they all go into the right unit. just sort All Units by Join or whatever it's called and you can quickly check as many recent soldiers to at least make sure all the A-Ss or Skills go into the right ones.

auto-manage is OK but sometimes it'll put a unit with, say, a B in support but A in medic into support, or if there are 2 B units and one has no skill but the other has any skill (R&D, Diplomat, whatever) it can sometimes still choose the no skill unit over the skill unit. Make 5-10% of the auto-choices it makes need correcting... it's rather uncommon but I do find at least a couple instances of it most times I do a decent check.

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!?!

With a lot of difficulty and very little fun.

You won't get an S rank but fuck that. Wait until there is a break in the enemies, blow up the artillery APC then the other two. Then use the Weather Modification to change it to a sandstorm, equip NVG and fulton everything.

Tiktaalik

I'm at mission 16 and
at 0% if I try to fulton the truck. Really? How much do I have to grind to get my skills up to the point where I can fulton this? Do I need to max R&D to upgrade Fulton or level up my Supply team? I feel like I've been extracting tons of guys and doing plenty of side ops so it's really weird that I'm apparently underleveled...

xxracerxx

I'm at mission 16 and
at 0% if I try to fulton the truck. Really? How much do I have to grind to get my skills up to the point where I can fulton this? Do I need to max R&D to upgrade Fulton or level up my Supply team? I feel like I've been extracting tons of guys and doing plenty of side ops so it's really weird that I'm apparently underleveled...

How many people can you have on your R&D platform?

I must seriously be over doing my MB for so early in the game. I just got Fulton Cargo+2 (the one you need) and I am on Mission 10'ish.

Two Words

With a lot of difficulty and very little fun.

You won't get an S rank but fuck that. Wait until there is a break in the enemies, blow up the artillery APC then the other two. Then use the Weather Modification to change it to a sandstorm, equip NVG and fulton everything.

I don't believe I can control weather yet.

Are there any missions that are easy S-ranks using Quiet? I'm about to activate Mission 45, and
take off my Butterfly Emblem, but I want to make sure that I do everything I should with her before ending her arc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How do you fulton
child soldiers?
I developed all the fultons and still can't.

You can fulton them by placing them in a jeep and then fulton that or you can use a special fulton for them. Don't remember when I got the development option for the special fulton.

KarmaCow

Are there any missions that are easy S-ranks using Quiet? I'm about to activate Mission 45, and
take off my Butterfly Emblem, but I want to make sure that I do everything I should with her before ending her arc.

I'm wondering this too. I'm trying to deal clean up on stuff like side objectives and I'm trying to figure out which buddy is the most optimal.

Top Bottom