• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

If you look at the ability graphs, S-rank troops are so far beyond the other ranks that it's not even funny. One of them is worth like 20 D ranks.

Elfstruck

d3g6zpi.png

If I can be half as accomplished as this guy in my life I'll be sated.

But he speaks Kikongo. :p

I just finished the mission where
you have to eliminate or capture 3 commanders, after you fight the Skull Unit with the Honeybee.
I'm finding that I'm having to force myself to play this game. 1 through 4 were all constantly engaging for me. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and ride the crazy twists and turns the story took.

The pacing in this one though is killing me. The drab and barren FPS-like "open world" fields are not helping either.

I'm really hoping some sort of a shift for the better will happen that'll recapture the quality and magic from the previous entries, but I'm not sure how much longer I could hold out. I already feel like I'm gonna bail on this one. It's seriously lacking the charm and charisma of Metal Gear Solid games.

rexor0717

you have to eliminate or capture 3 commanders, after you fight the Skull Unit with the Honeybee.
I'm finding that I'm having to force myself to play this game. 1 through 4 were all constantly engaging for me. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and ride the crazy twists and turns the story took.

The pacing in this one though is killing me. The drab and barren FPS-like "open world" fields are not helping either.

I'm really hoping some sort of a shift for the better will happen that'll recapture the quality and magic from the previous entries, but I'm not sure how much longer I could hold out. I already feel like I'm gonna bail on this one. It's seriously lacking the charm and charisma of Metal Gear Solid games.
Its pretty much like that the whole way through. I liked it, but I can see how it can drag for others.

I'm really hoping some sort of a shift for the better will happen that'll recapture the quality and magic from the previous entries, but I'm not sure how much longer I could hold out. I already feel like I'm gonna bail on this one. It's seriously lacking the charm and charisma of Metal Gear games.

Yea, it's not going to get any better for you. It's pretty much all gameplay oriented and lacking story throughout.

My favorite MGS though, for sure.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can anybody help me with this mission? Honestly, the mission structure is pretty much bullshit I forget the number of the mission, but it is in the 50s (I think 43?) and it goes from a side-op mission to a main mission. Is the kind of mission that you start in the middle of the situation instead of dropping in.

This is the mission when you help to recover Quiet and a dozen tanks come and attack you. This mission is pure bullshit, IMO. It's simply not fun and the chance for failure is so immediate. Everything I try, the tank will eventually one-shot me. What also sucks is that I cannot redeploy with new gear. I literally can do absolutely nothing in this game until I beat this mission. So that means every time I fail, I have to supply drop the gear I want. Any tips?

Fulton is your best friend starting wave 2 and 3.
Got an S rank and took me 17 minutes

Yea, it's not going to get any better for you. It's pretty much all gameplay oriented and lacking story throughout.

My favorite MGS though, for sure.
it's definitely a very different MGS... it starts off so intense, almost like a survival horror

but it hasn't really felt all that much like a metal gear game for me since that prologue.... (I'm now ummm mission 14 i guess, about 30 hours in and only that that intro felt like MGS, I mean)... linear area to area progression, constant story scenes and code conversations. every once and a while, i find myself wishing the game would just delve into a 5-hour linear factory mission or something haha

that said, I love the game.... almost 30 hours in tonight and still just free roaming in afghanistan :p the world and combat are a blast. and it's a pretty awesome way to do a Big Boss game, it definitely fits IMO, and I'd rather have a Big Boss open world/management game than a Solid Snake linear/focused story game, just as personal preference being more of a fan of, say, XCOM than Final Fantasy or... Battlefield than Resident Evil ... haha maybe not the best examples, but I love the open world and base management stuff, fits Big Boss awesome...

i hesitate to put it above 1 or 3 so early but 5 has got all the stuff i wish i could have done in 3 after i finished the story and i just wanted to free roam around and destroy supply sheds, raid bases :D

but definitely doesn't remind me of the classic metal gear in any way, and i kinda miss the classic snake voice too

Future

it's definitely a very different MGS... it starts off so intense, almost like a survival horror

but it hasn't really felt all that much like a metal gear game for me since (ummm mission 14 i guess, about 30 hours in)... linear area to area progression, constant story scenes and code conversations. every once and a while, i find myself wishing the game would just delve into a 5-hour linear factory mission or something haha

that said, I love the game.... almost 30 hours in tonight and still just free roaming in afghanistan :p the world and combat are a blast. and it's a pretty awesome way to do a Big Boss game, it definitely fits IMO, and I'd rather have a Big Boss open world/management game than a Solid Snake linear/focused story game, just as personal preference being more of a fan of, say, XCOM than Final Fantasy or... Battlefield than Resident Evil ... haha maybe not the best examples, but I love the open world and base management stuff, fits Big Boss awesome...

i hesitate to put it above 1 or 3 so early but 5 has got all the stuff i wish i could have done in 3 after i finished the story and i just wanted to free roam around and destroy supply sheds, raid bases :D

but definitely doesn't remind me of the classic metal gear in any way, and i kinda miss the classic snake voice too

If you listen to the cassettes after missions it starts to resemble metal gear a bit, since they sound like the classic codec conversations. But yeah, the pacing is not very metal gear like. Gameplay is the best its ever been though

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

There are some missions ahead of you that recapture the magic of MGS, but yeah, it remains fairly bland and un-MGS for many of the missions.

I'm a bit ahead of you (in the 20's), and I'm getting more into it, but there's nothing on the level of the prologue mission, sadly.

so it looks like the dispatch missions just become suicide missions at the mercy of a coin toss...great. Read that even people with all S rank teams have a significant chance of getting slaughtered on the higher ones. wtf

akira28

Quiet in the chopper made me feel awkward.

lol. I wonder if Kojima knew this would happen.

edit: That 3 little pigs mission though, is just an example of this game. You think it's boring and drab open world, but you can beat that mission in so many different ways. Vanilla, stealth, Tarantino-esque explosive laden shitshow was the one I chose. Going back with different weapons to try a different method is also a bonus. I'm still in the mid teens as far as missions, but I havent gotten bored yet.

KarmaCow

so it looks like the dispatch missions just become suicide missions at the mercy of a coin toss...great. Read that even people with all S rank teams have a significant chance of getting slaughtered on the higher ones. wtf

By far the biggest contributing to your fighting strength is the Battle Gear. I wouldn't waste S rank soldiers on it so they can add maybe 20 more points vs the something like 5000 from the Battle Gear alone.

Don't use S rank soldiers. Better off using A++ and lower since it doesn't make enough of a difference really in percentage to risk losing any of your S ranks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't use S rank soldiers. Better off using A++ and lower since it doesn't make enough of a difference really in percentage to risk losing any of your S ranks.

This is true. Use those S-ranks to reach level 50's in your departments, while the A+ fodder (which should become "fodder" when you reach 180K-200K-ish Heroism) are the ones sent to the combat front-lines.

This is true. Use those S-ranks to reach level 50's in your departments, while the A+ fodder (which should become "fodder" when you reach 180K-200K-ish Heroism) are the ones sent to the combat front-lines.

I just sent an S++ guy out on a mission with a bunch of A++ guys

So are those S-rank combat deployments always going to be like 50% for success? I already failed one that took like three fucking hours, and if they're all going to be like that from here on out with a team full of A+/A++ soldiers it's going to be a pain.

Don't hold your breath, the story is basically absent until very near the end of the game, at which point the game positively vomits more exposition at you than you can take. You go through the first thirtyish hours of game desperate for any kind of story, then right at the end you start unlocking like half an hour's worth of Cassette Tapes with every mission. Serious, serious pacing issues.

If you listen to the cassettes after missions it starts to resemble metal gear a bit, since they sound like the classic codec conversations. But yeah, the pacing is not very metal gear like. Gameplay is the best its ever been though
yeah i was thinking the same thing last night when it first dawned on me that I missed codecs... not quite the same though because I miss the banter and I sort of miss (don't miss lol) spamming codec calls to everyone after every event, area, capture an animal, find a new item, etc just to see if they say anything new haha :p or the funny innuendo or arguing (stop calling me!, or, snake are your wearing an alligator hat?! yes... why?! ......) that sometimes would happen in codec haha

but I've been making a habit of at least listening to 1 every time I return to the ACC to try get more of that general 'audio lore' for lack of a better term... general item, event, etc backstory and 'flavour'

Yeah, but if S-ranks get medals their morale will go up, which will hugely increase their capability.

I still don't think its worth the risk sending them on the S ranked missions though where there's a 20% chance of them dying. The 95% chance ones with only 3% chance of death is much safer, but I'm still kinda paranoid that they'll die lol

Without spoiling anything!

I am post mission 35+ and I want to know

Someone told me to play mission 46 before 45. Can you unlock 46 before 45?

They also recommended I keep using butterfly emblem until i am done with 46.

So please keep spoilers light!

when u complete a task in a mission, is there supposed to be a notification pop up that tells you its completed? I am doing one in a mission that requires some collecting, but dont know if I am done or not

Edit: nvm, i was doing the completely wrong thing

KarmaCow

yeah i was thinking the same thing last night when it first dawned on me that I missed codecs... not quite the same though because I miss the banter and I sort of miss (don't miss lol) spamming codec calls to everyone after every event, area, capture an animal, find a new item, etc just to see if they say anything new haha :p or the funny innuendo or arguing (stop calling me!, or, snake are your wearing an alligator hat?! yes... why?! ......) that sometimes would happen in codec haha

but I've been making a habit of at least listening to 1 every time I return to the ACC to try get more of that general 'audio lore' for lack of a better term... general item, event, etc backstory and 'flavour'

Yea I miss the irreverent codec calls and humour from the older games. Codec calls were always exposition dumps but I prefer the (to be fair, one sided) dialogues vs the often dry historical fact dumps in the TPP. Though there is at least one set of tapes that harkens back to the dumb codec calls.

LeonSPBR

Any where you extract targets and want people to be distracted while you run past.

If you don't really use/abuse her:
Do what you want. You can still finish the game/mission 46 if you plan to delay her leave.

I have no more side-ops, I have no more main-missions. I have 2 more platforms to 4/4. I still haven't unlocked that. I'm wondering if it's
tapes needing to be heard, which oh god 99 tapes
or
bugged out because I used Quiet with her anti-material rifle to help me speed through mission 49 Extreme in literally five minutes or so with both of us using the anti-material rifles on the Skulls.
Though according to Konami's update, that shouldn't have effected my save file
and even if it did, it would've wiped my save
so uh... I dunno.

Just listen to the yellow marked tapes. The rest doesn't need to listen.

Yea I miss the irreverent codec calls and humour from the older games. Codec calls were always exposition dumps but I prefer the (to be fair, one sided) dialogues vs the often dry historical fact dumps in the TPP. Though there is at least one set of tapes that harkens back to the dumb codec calls.

It'd be more bearable if Snake spoke like a normal person in something other than certain cutscenes. As is it seems needless and extreme, like they just slapped it all together before release so they could at least have the dialog in there somewhere.

Oh cool, I finally got some PF points. Apparently I won my bracket or whatever. 7570 points which is enough to buy about 10k fuel... woohoo...
You can cheese it
with a tank to skip by the Skulls at the beginning so at the end they turn all the soldiers in dumb puppets.
I thought you were suggesting a tank in order to kill them lol. What's the benefit of using a tank to skip them? You can just sneak around the right and avoid them fairly easily on foot.

Without spoiling anything!

I am post mission 35+ and I want to know

Someone told me to play mission 46 before 45. Can you unlock 46 before 45?

They also recommended I keep using butterfly emblem until i am done with 46.

So please keep spoilers light!

Yes you can unlock 46 before 45 since 45 requires you doing a side op involving a certain character. However, mission 45's side op pre-requisite will not unlock until you take off the butterfly emblem, which starts the chain of events. Honestly it doesn't matter since mission 45 doesn't influence anything in 46 (I'd personally recommend 45 before 46). Mission 45 has some significant events that I can't mention without spoiling so I won't go into much detail.

But for a very minor spoiler about mission 45.

I'd recommend doing everything you want to with the game first before talking off that emblem and starting the side op, but it really doesn't matter much in the long run.

grimmiq

Oh cool, I finally got some PF points. Apparently I won my bracket or whatever. 7570 points which is enough to buy about 10k fuel... woohoo...

I thought you were suggesting a tank in order to kill them lol. What's the benefit of using a tank to skip them? You can just sneak around the right and avoid them fairly easily on foot.

I think a lot of people never used the cracks to climb
, I snuck around to the left several times getting spotted before noticing the series on the right near the river that bypasses every single one of them.

Wow... This sucks.

Mid 20s Mission storyline stuff...

This Kikongo outbreak has devastated my MB. I have close to 300 people in the quarantine. I mean... Damn.

I guess I'll just keep extracting people and hope they don't speak Kikongo.

KarmaCow

Wow... This sucks.

This Kikongo outbreak has devastated my MB. I have close to 300 people in the quarantine. I mean... Damn.

In the long run it kinda does you a favour of purging a lot of people you'll end up replacing with higher rank soldiers.
:p

Yes you can unlock 46 before 45 since 45 requires you doing a side op involving a certain character. However, mission 45's side op pre-requisite will not unlock until you take off the butterfly emblem, which starts the chain of events. Honestly it doesn't matter since mission 45 doesn't influence anything in 46 (I'd personally recommend 45 before 46). Mission 45 has some significant events that I can't mention without spoiling so I won't go into much detail.

But for a very minor spoiler about mission 45.

I'd recommend doing everything you want to with the game first before talking off that emblem and starting the side op, but it really doesn't matter much in the long run.

Awesome, thanks!

Wow... This sucks.

Spoilers for when
the outbreak
ends, if you're interested:
It's all over after Mission 29. The best thing to do is just plough through main story missions until you get through it because, like you said, anyone you Fulton has a chance of speaking Kikongo and it's a pain in the arse to keep quarantining dudes after every mission (even if you don't Fulton anyone, you'll still get volunteers). People are going to die even if you perfectly quarantine every Kikongo speaker, so just get it over with as quickly as possible.

After 102 hours, spotted my first S-rank soldier.

I was in a forested area in Africa, it was night time and raining. No buddies with me.

I tranq the S-rank so he doesn't go anywhere, but I hear noises behind me. I lay still, and see two heavily armed guards peeking their flashlight above me, just a few feet away as an enemy gunship hovers in the sky.

After a minute or so, the two guards start walking away, and the gunship flies off too. In my excitement I run to the tranq'd S-rank soldier so I can
wormhole
fulton him.

When I got to him, he was laying on an ankle deep riverbed. Me tranquilizing him made him drown in 2-inch deep water. FML.

Urthor

Question about unlocking mission 46

ok here's the deal. MB is upgraded, lvl 4 for all. Quiet has left, mission 45 complete. All the yellow side ops are done and Huey has been given the boot. But still no Mission 46. The hell?

KarmaCow

ok here's the deal. MB is upgraded, lvl 4 for all. Quiet has left, mission 45 complete. All the yellow side ops are done and Huey has been given the boot. But still no Mission 46. The hell?

I think you might need to listen to the tapes or maybe do a side op to trigger it. I didn't do most of things you did and had 46 unlocked.

wrowa

All you need to do to unlock new missions is
Side-ops, Side-ops, Side-ops. You don't need to have leveled up the MB or anything like that, just clear some side-ops.

Just do random side ops until it unlocks.

Is it possible to Fulton choppers?

I think so. I'm pretty sure D-walker gets some kind of ranged fultoning device that can work on the choppers, but it doesn't really do anything but eliminate the chopper from the world.

Top Bottom