• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Grudy

Can someone give a spoiler-free answer on whether to equip the butterfly emblem or not? Is it some sort of hidden secret or can I find out about the emblem by playing or listening to tapes? I'm at mission 27 if it matters.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Someone else summed the wait command as more of option to cancel a command than a way to actually get DD to not move.
Ahh that makes sense. I guess I just have to change my play style, I wanted to leave him just outside bases and stealth through.

KarmaCow

Ahh that makes sense. I guess I just have to change my play style, I wanted to leave him just outside bases and stealth through.

If you don't give him commands, guards wont go on alert if they see DD, even if he runs right into them while pathing around. The most they interact with DD is to tell him to shoo and maybe think that's what they saw instead of you. He's basically like Ellie in Last of Us in that he's a non-entity for the most part.

Reebot

If you don't give him commands, guards wont go on alert if they see DD, even if he runs right into them while pathing around. The most they interact with DD is to tell him to shoo and maybe think that's what they saw instead of you. He's basically like Ellie in Last of Us in that he's a non-entity for the most part.

Wait, can the guards be alerted by DD? Even mid-command I've only ever had them do the "shoo" thing.

xxracerxx

Oh nice, so they won't turn around if I am sneaking up on them because he is there? Perfect.

KarmaCow

How do you
extract skulls?

They just
fly away
after I finish tranqing them. Specifically how do you do it in mission 28?

I don't think you can until you get the ability to make a Parasite Suit. I'm not sure when that gets unlocked but it is tied to completing a story mission.

FtHTiny

I still find it stupid that development doesn´t continue when not in game.
They show that they would have the tech (or whatever) for it with the combat deployement but my guys can´t develop the water pistol that takes over 1h will i´m gone.

Jintor

so i spent like a fourty minutes trying to take out this fucking tank squad

fuck red helicoptors

Also pequod, like a piece of shit, came in summoned from a support grenade and proceeded to sit at the LZ getting fucking drilled by a red chopper. Can my support choppers not fucking fight choppers? What a crock of shit.

I still find it stupid that development doesn´t continue when not in game.
They show that they would have the tech (or whatever) for it with the combat deployement but my guys can´t develop the water pistol that takes over 1h will i´m gone.

Did R&D stuff continue when the game was off in Peace Walker? It's been years since I've played that one and I can't remember if it did or not.

FtHTiny

so i spent like a fourty minutes trying to take out this fucking tank squad

fuck red helicoptors

Also pequod, like a piece of shit, came in summoned from a support grenade and proceeded to sit at the LZ getting fucking drilled by a red chopper. Can my support choppers not fucking fight choppers? What a crock of shit.

Always leave the chopper for last, crawl around the floor to the snipers, than the tanks, than the patrol and then kill the chopper. Just don´t stand up ever.

FUCK IGN FUCK IGN FUCK IGN FUCK IGN FUCK IGN TO HELL AND BACK!!

So I'm out in a bar and at a dull moment I decided to check the IGN mobile app to pass the time and lo and behold there's one fucking horrible title in the goddamn feed concerning
Quiet
. It read: "
Turn Quiet into Sniper Wolf
".

I panicked. But ign couldn't possibly be this dumb right? It must be about an alternate costume and they're merely saying how it was unlocked so I clicked and yes it was but then without any warning they say "Mission 40
where you fight the extreme difficult version of the Quiet fight
". Fuck IGN seriously.

Did I get spoiled or is it something minor with little importance or perhaps something I misunderstood?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Did R&D stuff continue when the game was off in Peace Walker? It's been years since I've played that one and I can't remember if it did or not.

R&D in peace walker was handled by doing missions to pass "time"

So if you began researching something it wouldn't be done until you did like 1-3 missions. I think the last few unlocks required you to do 5 or something.

So I'm out in a bar and at a dull moment I decided to check the IGN mobile app to pass the time and lo and behold there's one fucking horrible title in the goddamn feed concerning
Quiet
".

I panicked. But ign couldn't possibly be this dumb right? It must be about an alternate costume and they're merely saying how it was unlocked so I clicked and yes it was but then without any warning they say "Mission 40
". Fuck IGN seriously.

Did I get spoiled or is it something minor with little importance or perhaps something I misunderstood?

Doesn't your own spoiler kind of answer that you misunderstood it? Unless of course, you haven't gotten past Mission 11 yet.

KarmaCow

Quiet
".

". Fuck IGN seriously.

It's nothing, calm down.

xxracerxx

R&D in peace walker was handled by doing missions to pass "time"

So if you began researching something it wouldn't be done until you did like 1-3 missions. I think the last few unlocks required you to do 5 or something.
Well this system is definitely better than that.

KarmaCow

I'd like to know about this myself.
I'm trying to play non-lethal and it would be pretty dumb to force me to kill in a MGS game. Will tranqing them be enough?

It's pretty much the entire point of the mission.
A non lethal option would rob the impact the game (tries) to get across with what you need to do, which is why you don't get to choose your loadout for that mission.

Doesn't your own spoiler kind of answer that you misunderstood it? Unless of course, you haven't gotten past Mission 11 yet.
I'm in Mission 21. The way I understand that was that
in what sounded like a classic MGS plot twist Quiet would go rogue on me and fight me again.
Needless to say I was pissed when ign just put it there willy nilly.

Opto

Banned
I just recovered the
AI Pod

Thoughts on that info that comes from that

What the fuck? Fuck you Huey, I don't like or trust you at all now. Ocelot, do your worst to him, I'm done with you, Huey

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've completed the first legendary gunsmith quest but no more have shown up in my side ops list. Is this a bug or am I missing something.

Just completed mission 19.

KarmaCow

I've completed the first legendary gunsmith quest but no more have shown up in my side ops list. Is this a bug or am I missing something.

Just completed mission 19.

There might be another side op in the same area overriding it, I don't think there are any requirements beyond completing the previous gunsmith side op.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There might be another side op in the same area overriding it, I don't think there are any requirements beyond completing the previous gunsmith side op.

Shit. Now I guess I have to do random side ops to figure that out...

I just finished the mission where
you have to eliminate or capture 3 commanders, after you fight the Skull Unit with the Honeybee.
I'm finding that I'm having to force myself to play this game. 1 through 4 were all constantly engaging for me. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and ride the crazy twists and turns the story took.

The pacing in this one though is killing me. The drab and barren FPS-like "open world" fields are not helping either.

I'm really hoping some sort of a shift for the better will happen that'll recapture the quality and magic from the previous entries, but I'm not sure how much longer I could hold out. I already feel like I'm gonna bail on this one. It's seriously lacking the charm and charisma of Metal Gear Solid games.

I'm as far in the game as you and I feel the same.

Did you fulton those commanders or just kill them?

Xemnas89

So I just finished mission 31 and
I loved the fight with sahelanthropus. Up to this point it feels like the most Metal Gear boss fight to me. I really enjoyed the string of missions starting from 28 and going through the end of the chapter. Skullface seemed like a waste of a villain though. He didn't seem to have much of a presence in the game and then he just gets crushed. Oh well I'm looking forward to chapter 2 as the preview made it look really good.

I loved the fight with sahelanthropus. Up to this point it feels like the most Metal Gear boss fight to me. I really enjoyed the string of missions starting from 28 and going through the end of the chapter. Skullface seemed like a waste of a villain though. He didn't seem to have much of a presence in the game and then he just gets crushed. Oh well I'm looking forward to chapter 2 as the preview made it look really good.

Just got to this part as well. It got WAY better at 28.

Chapter 2 is totally hate it or love it. I absolutely loved it, but its pretty diverse.

Ludens

Banned
So I was wandering inside my MB and
I triggered Paz's encounter.

I mean....really?
A thing like this is TOTALLY missable, without a hint or whatever to the fact
MB staff found her?

This is just stupid. No excuse, just stupid. One of the major, if not THE major plot point of
Ground Zeroes
is a cutscene/side-quest you can TOTALLY miss.

I loved using the R
ocket
P
unch
when I needed to extract Eli.

He was
just hiding there inside his ship and all of a sudden SCHOOLS OUT.

Got a good kick out of me

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do you need to do to unlock 46?

I have 47-50 unlocked, but 46 won't show up. I've just been grinding side ops but nothing's happening.

Just finished mission 23. This is definitively a MGS game, I don't know what the hell is going on. Loving it.

So far, I've encountered (boss fight spoilers)
Quiet, The Man on Fire and Eli
boss fights, or "encounters", whatever you want to call them. I feel that, while they are not as memorable as boss fights like The Boss, The End or Psycho Mantis in previous games, they are at least better than others like The Pain, The Fear, or the fucking Tank on MGS.

With
The Man on Fire, I just liked a lot the fact that it wasn't a bullet sponge like some bosses have been in other MGS. It was pure tactic.
In any case, I'm pretty sure this will not be the only encounter with him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, the positivity in this thread.

If you guys liked the
end of Chapter 1
so much, there are a few moments in
Chapter 2
you'll love.

Scott667

I have a bit of a weird question, in that I'm 99% sure its impossible to do this, but is it possible to take down helicopter non-lethally? I generally try to play without kills but in the case of helicopters I just make an exception (provided I can't just avoid it). Probably the biggest problem is during the "armored vehicle unit" side ops, were I can't just ignore them, but instead need to swap out my non-lethal assault rifle/sniper rifle with a rocket launcher (which I then swap back out 2 minutes later, wasting more GMP/resources then I'd like to).

Top Bottom