• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Recall

How the fuck do you save?

Completed a side op, went to mother base and quit. Came back and side op was still outstanding :/

Hatchtag

Banned
so the missions in the game are really long right? Taking an hour to complete each mission on average (2 for mission 6), that's a regular thing right?

Or am I just complete shit at this game?

BigDes

Completed a side op, went to mother base and quit. Came back and side op was still outstanding :/

That should not have happened

Game normally saves once you complete a mission or side op and it certainly saves on area transitioning.

Either it glitched out there or you are looking at a different side op. Certain Side Ops can also be done more than once, the extract soldiers and prisoners ones come up again from time to time.

KHlover

Banned

Honestly have no idea. Save system in this game is a mess.

so the missions in the game are really long right? Taking an hour to complete each mission on average (2 for mission 6), that's a regular thing right?

Some missions really depend on your playstyle. For example there's an early mission where you have to eliminate a Soviet General or whatever. You can either sneak in and extract/kill him from close up (takes about 15 minutes) or just snipe him and wrap up the whole thing in like a minute.

dmshaposv

i'm only at mission 13, haha.

i've already played for over 20 hours. christ.

Non spoilery version just for you:

A scene in some of the later missions has such high visual fidelity that most games would have such a scene pre-rendered and still look a bit clunky. Here it was done in-engine without compromise on detail (lighting,modeling and framerate).

Recall

That should not have happened

Game normally saves once you complete a mission or side op and it certainly saves on area transitioning.

Either it glitched out there or you are looking at a different side op. Certain Side Ops can also be done more than once, the extract soldiers and prisoners ones come up again from time to time.

There are training side ops on mother base that do not save, yet the side op grants rewards yet it never saves them...

Find a diamond on mother base and it doesn't save either

Some are quicker than others. It gets faster when you unlock easy mode suit otherwise known as the Sneaking Suit.

Steroyd

Oh man Subsistence missions are awesome going in as naked snake can feel liberating.

It's normal especially earlier on when you have less equipment to play with and you're fultoning everyone... Not that, that changes too much when you get better gear lol.

Just finished Chapter 1. Man, what a blast but
lame Skull Face. I thought he was final boss or something :\
Question:
Does Chapter 2 only have old missions with higher difficulty and no new missions?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished Chapter 1. Man, what a blast but
lame Skull Face. I thought he was final boss or something :\
Question:
Does Chapter 2 only have old missions with higher difficulty and no new missions?

There will be new missions, but they gradually unlock depending on how many side ops you've completed.

Jintor

I kinda get what they were going for. They want you to ride the hits and improvise as you go along rather than restart every time you get seen. Still, losing half an hour isn't fun.

that's fine when i'm playing just for objectives, but when I'm playing to extract specific prisoners and I just want to restart from latest after I get one-shotted by a tank it's not needed

bryt

Wow, why didn't I use DD earlier. Now that I have max bond with him, as soon as I enter an area the whole place is marked in like 30 seconds. So ridiculous.

Non spoilery version just for you:

A scene in some of the later missions has such high visual fidelity that most games would have such a scene pre-rendered and still look a bit clunky. Here it was done in-engine without compromise on detail (lighting,modeling and framerate).
Yes, agreed. Mission 30 and 31 were fantastic in this regard. I also completed mission 30 at dusk ingame and the
jeep ride
was gorgeous.

Chariot

I had one with 75 % one time, it failed three times in a row. I won't sent them into battle with a rate under 80 %. Am I doing something wrong?
No, that's how gambling works. You could lose 10,000 times our you could win at the first try with like 1% chance. 99% don't mean you will get it, 1% don't mean you won't. That's all. Keep trying, some day it may work.

Hasney

Christ, server maintenance started 3 hours ago and still has an hour to go, then they're up for 3 hours and down for another 4.

SmithnCo

Wow, why didn't I use DD earlier. Now that I have max bond with him, as soon as I enter an area the whole place is marked in like 30 seconds. So ridiculous.

lol, that's why I like him more than Quiet. No need for marking ever.

I also like his fulton gear because I believe it doesn't use one of my own fultons. Even with 48 on each run I run out eventually.

SJRB

Gold Member
No, that's how gambling works. You could lose 10,000 times our you could win at the first try with like 1% chance. 99% don't mean you will get it, 1% don't mean you won't. That's all. Keep trying, some day it may work.

I feel that there's a bit too much RNG involved at certain points though. I can send an A++ team to destroy a storage shed with 10 C-soldiers, have an overwhelming stat advantage and 98% win prediction and still lose the battle with 2 of my soldiers dead.

I feel that at some point statistics should trump RNG.

I know RNG is the whole point of this thing, but it's especially annoying because the missions don't progress when you turn off the game like in Peace Walker.

Chariot

I feel that there's a bit too much RNG involved at certain points though. I can send an A++ team to destroy a storage shed with 10 C-soldiers, have an overwhelming stat advantage and 98% win prediction and still lose the battle with 2 of my soldiers dead.

I know RNG is the whole point of this thing, but it's especially annoying because the missions don't progress when you turn off the game like in Peace Walker.
I agree.

Yeah, the % chance system and the RNG in this game is incredibly misleading. It would be interesting to see the real statistics going on behind the scenes.

52% ?
Damn I don't even do missions if the success rate is under 95% and 3% projected losses right now :/

I'm like that most of the time. Not sending my boys to die!
...then a mission comes up with a few thousand units of fuel as reward. 60/70% Success rate? Off you go!

Rodin

So I just finished mission 31 and
I loved the fight with sahelanthropus. Up to this point it feels like the most Metal Gear boss fight to me. I really enjoyed the string of missions starting from 28 and going through the end of the chapter. Skullface seemed like a waste of a villain though. He didn't seem to have much of a presence in the game and then he just gets crushed. Oh well I'm looking forward to chapter 2 as the preview made it look really good.

Really? I thought it was one of the worst boss fights in MGS. That fucking beam was insanely broken and the area wasn't really designed well (mostly a hallway until you reached a lower zone), especially in the context of the fight. Tank controls are horrible so using one doesn't really help either. Got an S though, so i'm glad i don't have to replay that mission.

I definitely agree on Skull Face though, and i'm pumped for Chapter 2 after the preview as well.

Can't play my savegame anymore, when starting up the game I get this message;

"this save data cannot be used, as the relevant downloadable content was not found"

Alsmost nothing to be found online.

Fuck this. 30+ hours gameplay is GONE.

Game over for me, not going to start over.

Maybe you played mission 29 or 42 with Quiet as a buddy?

Rogan

Banned

"this save data cannot be used, as the relevant downloadable content was not found"

Alsmost nothing to be found online about this issue and I tried everything.

Game over for me, I'm not going to start over.

(PS4 digital copy)

Game over for me, not going to start over.
What downloadable content is even out for the game?

Does Steam say this before the game loads or does TPP say it once the game has loaded?

Edit: automatically assumed PC forgetting that not everyone is me.

I found this thread Googling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3jwn24/mgsv_this_saved_data_cannot_be_used_as_the/

But I imagine you tried it. I'd consider it unlikely that there won't be a patch if this is reported a few times, you might just have to wait it out.

Rogan

Banned
Really? I thought it was one of the worst boss fights in MGS. That fucking beam was insanely broken and the area wasn't really designed well (mostly a hallway until you reached a lower zone), especially in the context of the fight. Tank controls are horrible so using one doesn't really help either. Got an S though, so i'm glad i don't have to replay that mission.

I definitely agree on Skull Face though, and i'm pumped for Chapter 2 after the preview as well.

Maybe you played mission 29 or 42 with Quiet as a buddy?
Nope.

Menthuss

Game over for me, I'm not going to start over.

(PS4 digital copy)

Have you tried deleting your local save and downloading the one that's stored on Steam's servers?

Steroyd

lol, that's why I like him more than Quiet. No need for marking ever.

I also like his fulton gear because I believe it doesn't use one of my own fultons. Even with 48 on each run I run out eventually.

Yeah D-Dog is awesome, I mostly used Quiet until I got that upgrade, I can leave a mass of unconcious soldiers, and then one command to D-Dog has him clean everything up.

Ambitious

There are so many small things about the UI that don't seem to be explained anywhere. In the main mission list, why is the GMP reward displayed in white for some missions, but in light blue for some others?

bryt

There are so many small things about the UI that don't seem to be explained anywhere. In the main mission list, why is the GMP reward displayed in white for some missions, but in light blue for some others?

White means it'll give 100% GMP. Blue means it gives less than 100%. The more you replay a mission the more it will get reduced. It will regenerate to 100% GMP after awhile.

hal9001

Banned
Mission 23 - What a classic. This is one of my faves so far. Love the taboo subject matter too.

Mission 28 - Now this is the batshit crazy metal gear story we all love.
PARASITES! You've go too be fucking kidding me. Kojima LOL. Like something out of Resident Evil 4.
Does it get more insane than this!?

teokrazia

You use it on motherbase and Ocelot and Miller take their clothes off.

o_O

Just beaten Mission 26,screwing everything up. Was SO INTENSE.

This game feels at the same time like a legit evolution of MGS and a refined, deeper Crysis.

In a certain sense is the real Crysis 2 we were all waiting for.
Thanks, Hideo. <3

Protip: those square icons on the right side of the map display what countermeasures the enemy has available. Y'know, stuff like helmets, advanced weaponry, cameras, body armour, etc. Certain deployments disable these enemy perks, which is why the icons appear red (disabled) at times.

I learned this 55 hours into the game.

Top Bottom