• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the long post. I wanted to get some frustrations off my chest and it ended up being a lot longer than I planned. I haven't played MGSV in a couple of days, which is awful to admit considering just how excited I have been for so many years. I'm about 50 hours in, all unlocked Side Ops done so far, around story mission 24, and I'm just so burnt out. Endlessly repetitive missions, some so insubstantial that I don't know why Kojima bothered, with endless loading screens, credit sequences, helicopter rides, loadout screens, and Mother Base staff management (I've just encountered all this
virus and quarantine
bollocks, which is just the most distracting and irritating thing I've ever seen in a game). I've stared at the back of Boss' head waiting for the helicopter to take off or land fucking so many times it's infuriating. Again and again and again and again - the constant stop-start nature of the game is horrific.

The missions are awful, which is a shame considering the basically-perfect gameplay. 'Drop in and extract this random NPC', 'Go follow this person and then fulton something', 'Hey boss we've been told to kill this guy but hey how good would it be if we brought him back to Mother Base??' Infiltrating enemy outposts was brilliant at first, but the constant retreading of areas and repetitive objectives makes it so boring. I have to try to psych myself up every time I wait for the helicopter to land at the beginning of every mission, knowing that I'll have to drive across 600m of empty, wasteful space to the target, scope out the place and then work my way in to extract some prisoner. Again.

The story is non-existent so far, although I'm aware that I'm still in relatively early stages, but the way it's told is still pathetic. Post-mission debriefings consisting of nothing more than a blue screen, pictures of people I don't know and Miller explaining to me why they're important. I mean, what's going on? I get that the whole point is that they are a military company for hire, but this invites so much bloat that I have no idea what's happening in the main plotline. I've just done a mission where I've had to extract a prisoner (just for a change) and some kid and it's just not relevant to anything. The Skulls pop up every now and then, whoever they are, as do a few other of the main baddies but they're given such a backseat in the grand scheme of things that their effect is diminished to the point where I don't care. What few cutscenes there are are genuinely intriguing, but having to sit in the helicopter or stand on Mother Base while listening to tapes to fill in the gaps? That isn't engaging or fun.

MGSV gets in its way so often it's unreal. Wonderful stealth gameplay bogged down by constant interruptions and unending bloat. It's 10% story, 10% menu screens, 20% infiltration, 20% micromanagement and 40% unending side missions. Side Ops where I have to rescue Prisoner #14, main missions where I have to rescue the same prisoner, only this time he's been given a name and two lines of backstory, bookended by loading screens and wait times, credits and helicopter rides. Awful.

I just wanted a new MGS game. After Ground Zeroes, I was hoping for basically MGS4 without the loading screens between each area. One long, flowing corridor layout, incredibly dense with incidental details and the handcrafted experience Kojima is famous for. Instead, it's more disjointed than ever before. In fact. I'd say that Ground Zeroes is a much better game than MGSV - a playground focused on pure stealth, with no menu screens begging for your attention or 'Destroy tank unit #17'. I'm about to load it up and continue with the main missions, knowing full well that I have to deploy to some random area in the map, trek to where I actually need to go, infiltrate some bare bones outpost and extract some NPC. Boring.

How do I efficiently use Quiet in missions? I don't get how to use her.
"Cover me"

Proceed to walk through missions with ease.

To get that command you have to raise your bond with her. I reccommend just replayjng a few missions and manually having her take out every enemy for you. You can move her position with the idroid.

Jintor

How do I efficiently use Quiet in missions? I don't get how to use her.

In the buddy menu of your idroid you have two options, Quiet (Scout) and Quiet (Attack). Scout is limited to outposts; she'll basically run around outside marking dudes and then retreat to an attack position awaiting orders. Attack makes her go to an attack position and line up sniper shots; she'll temporarily mark whoever she's aiming at but you'll lose focus the moment she switches her attention.

Quiet won't fire unless you command in the beginning stages and she won't fire at will until later, so you need to tell her when to fire if you're undetected. In a combat alert phase or if somebody spots you she'll start firing at will; it's not uncommon to end reflex mode and then for a bullet to pass right into whoever spotted you's skull.

You also need to manually reposition her since she'll generally stick to one position unless she starts taking fire or enemies get too close.

Once I got to mission 20 last night my computer blue screened.

Playing mission 20 this morning my power cut off literally as I was extracting the target.

This is some next level Psycho Mantis shenanigans right here.

hank_tree

So, I'm totally fucked. Mission 45:
I literally cannot do this mission and there's no way to exit it or return to ACC. I can't keep playing even if I wanted to. What the fuck?

Just die a lot. Accept the chicken hat. Die some more. Accept the lil chicken hat. This makes you practically invisible to all enemies. Then just run up and Fulton the tanks as they appear.

I think I'm going to back up my save file on a usb stick and take off my butterfly emblem. It's bugging the hell out of me that I haven't done every mission in this game.
I suppose it's pointless to hope for a patch to fix this. Ugh.

Does the "Quiet" option in the L1 button have any function when at lvl1 bond?

I still have no idea what that is for. It rotates the camera to show her position but if there's not more to it then it seems like the most pointless command ever.

It stops her from attacking. Quiet mode!

So, you can tell her to attack someone. Normally, once an alert starts she'll attack any visible enemy. With the Quiet command you can prevent this.

I think I'm going to back up my save file on a usb stick and take off my butterfly emblem. It's bugging the hell out of me that I haven't done every mission in this game.
I suppose it's pointless to hope for a patch to fix this. Ugh.
Why is it pointless? They've done two updates on the situation, they're obviously looking into it.

It stops her from attacking. Quiet mode!
This can't be it because she only attacks on your command!

So, you can tell her to attack someone. Normally, once an alert starts she'll attack any visible enemy. With the Quiet command you can prevent this.
If that is true then it's very awkwardly implemented. Especially since there's an explicit command to tell her to stop firing.

Woffls

UGH. Getting the 3 tanks in Backup, Back Down is a fucking joke. You have to eliminate all seven targets, then go and extract all 3 tanks with no fucking checkpoints. One mistake often prevents you from getting some of the targets, and that scraps the entire run. This game is real bullshit sometimes.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
After reading how many people had a problem with this, I am sure that I either did something that the mission hadn't been designed for, or the mission offers you an easy way to do it that people are missing.

At the location you spawn at, you can find an intel file that shows the convoy's route. Follow the route and you should see some guards positioned at a cross roads. After that point there is a small base that the convoy stops at. If it's dark / raining you can crawl up and fulton the tank at the beginning without anyone seeing. The Skulls seem to be even more blind than most guards, so you can crawl safely around them. You can fulton the truck, which will alert the Skulls, but then you can just sprint to the tank at the back, get in it, and drive out of the hot zone. The Skulls will chase you all the way and damage your tank pretty bad, but you should be able to make it out if you just keep on driving without trying to engage them

I feel like I need to replay the mission just in case what I did was a very unintentional fluke. People keep saying it was the most difficult mission in the game, I really hope not.
Might just try it with D Walker and kill everyone I see

Spasm

I've never been able to build FOBs. Cannot not figure out how to do it... then I realized I'm not PS+. Can you not build FOBs without PS+/XBLG?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well this system is definitely better than that.

Nah. Since you can literally run the 3 room "mission" design of Peace Walker in like 5 minutes max.

Here you're basically waiting 1-2 hours for +2000 refined and some research to finish. :/

OrochiJR

So about Mission 45 and the subsequent scenes...
After dying ~5 times I gave in and used the chicken hat. Beat it after two more tries with the chicken hat, and all the awesome and sad scenes that followed featured Chicken Snake. Way to kill the mood of Quiet's exit. The same thing happened to me in I believe Mission 6, where the cutscene with the upside down face to face scene with Skullface in my game also featured Chicken Snake. -_-

Hypron

The message from Konami is that the bug happens if you're friendship levels up with Quiet on mission 29 or 42. You're fine.

Okay, thanks! I was a bit worried for a while.

o_O

Just beaten Mission 26,screwing everything up. Was SO INTENSE.

This game feels at the same time like a legit evolution of MGS and a refined, deeper Crysis.

In a certain sense is the real Crysis 2 we were all waiting for.
Thanks, Hideo. <3

Yep, definitely agree with that. It's quite surprising actually, who would have thought that the closest to a Crysis 2 we'd get would be a Metal Gear game? haha

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After dying ~5 times I gave in and used the chicken hat. Beat it after two more tries with the chicken hat, and all the awesome and sad scenes that followed featured Chicken Snake. Way to kill the mood of Quiet's exit. The same thing happened to me in I believe Mission 6, where the cutscene with the upside down face to face scene with Skullface in my game also featured Chicken Snake. -_-

Good. That means the chicken hat was doing its job.

So I beat the game, listened to all the tapes and watched some of the cut content... That sure was something.

My strategy for Mission 45 was to hemorrhage money and call in about six or seven support choppers! GMP is absolutely bottomless if you keep the deployments going consistently so it didn't really matter or put me remotely close to the red.

The Lingua Franca mission seems broken. Trying to get the "listen to all 4 interrogations" objective, and they refuse to talk to the Viscount. They just stand in the hut while the prisoner lies there. Even with no extractions or KOs or general disturbances around the camp, they still just stand around. Which is weird because on my first playthrough of the mission, they did interrogate him properly.

LeonSPBR

Well then don't use the chicken hat. Simple.

ezekial45

Banned
These "extreme" missions are required to progress? So lame having to redo stuff if true.
No, they're optional. You just have to keep clearing the regular main missions along with the side-ops. The ones marked yellow are mandatory to advance the story. Basically, you just have to be active.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just head straight to the truck at the start.
There's a gap in the fence right behind where it's sitting. Fulton, get on D Horse and haul ass out of Hot Zone. Easy S rank.

Never knew where the truck was aha, ill try that

LeonSPBR

The Lingua Franca mission seems broken. Trying to get the "listen to all 4 interrogations" objective, and they refuse to talk to the Viscount. They just stand in the hut while the prisoner lies there. Even with no extractions or KOs or general disturbances around the camp, they still just stand around. Which is weird because on my first playthrough of the mission, they did interrogate him properly.

Wait a while, it happened to me and I had to wait for a few minutes tranq people so that they begin the interrogation.

Psoelberg

In fact. I'd say that Ground Zeroes is a much better game than MGSV - a playground focused on pure stealth, with no menu screens begging for your attention or 'Destroy tank unit #17'.

I agree with this so much.

GZ is such a well composed game; great, long cutscenes before and after amazing gameplay. And the base in GZ is really well designed, complex with a lot of geometry to get lost in, cameras a lot of places, and tapes you need really have to listen to, so you can figure out where Paz is hidden. The bases in TPP are most of the time really small, not that complex, has no cameras, and it's often easy to figure out where the object is.

I had an amazing time with GZ. TPP is such a disappointment (beside the gameplay).

Saven

Banned

This mission is the only real complaint I've had with the gameplay so far.
I have had POWs disappear out of the blue, making me restart from a checkpoint and restart the whole mission over. At that point, I just ran to the Viscount's position and rescued him. Terrible mission.

Wait a while, it happened to me and I had to wait for a few minutes tranq people so that they begin the interrogation.

Tranq'ing guards makes the interrogation start?

Also, using the phantom cigar had no effect, they just stood there the whole day, and one guard fell through the map.

LeonSPBR

Tranq'ing guards makes the interrogation start?

Also, using the phantom cigar had no effect, they just stood there the whole day, and one guard fell through the map.

I didn't use the phantom cigar, I waited a few minutes. And try maybe getting the base in an alarm stage and succeed in hiding until it goes away. To me I got an alarm and when the alarm phase and everything returned to normal, they begun the interrogation, or try to wait until sundown/sunrise.

j-wood

The amount of times I have to press x just to get to the main menu in this game is absurd. Put that shit in one menu konami.

I also can't get the game to boot right now. I suspect it's because of the online servers? I get though the konami logo, then it just sits with a 4 square spinning thing. Wtf.

Reule

Are the servers being really crappy right now? Some guy was trying to invade me again and I tried to go defend but the game soft locked when it was network loading. I come back into the game and my Security Team stopped him. I go to check out FOB information but nothing is listed. Events, random PFs, etc. I back out through menus and am now greeted with a tutorial about PF Grade but the tutorial couldn't go through and said that the tutorial is now suspended.

Bah!

I didn't use the phantom cigar, I waited a few minutes. And try maybe getting the base in an alarm stage and succeed in hiding until it goes away. To me I got an alarm and when the alarm phase and everything returned to normal, they begun, or try to wait until sundown/sunrise.

So you have to screw up to make the script work as intended. Sounds like a glitchy piece of shit mission to me.

Speaking of glitches, pulled a guy off a guard tower, made no sound. Then he proceeded to scream while knocked out on the ground.

Top Bottom