• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

LeonSPBR

So you have to screw up to make the script work as intended. Sounds like a glitchy piece of shit mission to me.

Speaking of glitches, pulled a guy off a guard tower, made no sound. Then he proceeded to scream while knocked out on the ground.

Not screw up, like I said, you can wait for it, I did that and it worked. It's the time for the interrogation that's weird. The only interrogate at night and if you infiltrate at night, for some reason sometimes the game begins the interrogation at sunrise or close to it.

Are the servers being really crappy right now? Some guy was trying to invade me again and I tried to go defend but the game soft locked when it was network loading. I come back into the game and my Security Team stopped him. I go to check out FOB information but nothing is listed. Events, random PFs, etc. I back out through menus and am now greeted with a tutorial about PF Grade but the tutorial couldn't go through and said that the tutorial is now suspended.

Bah!
Yeah I think they might be going down for emergency maintenance. Again. :(
http://www.konami.jp/mgs_portal/jp/info/?id=674

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol at Ground Zeroes being a better game than TPP. GZ is basically episode 1 or prologue of TPP that was made into a new game.

LeonSPBR

Lol at Ground Zeroes being a better game than TPP. GZ is basically episode 1 or prologue of TPP that was made into a new game.

Yup. GZ is good but being one place only gets tiring fast, and it doesn't have customization of weapons and such, so you're always going with the same guns, in the same place, to do pretty much the same thing, which is rescue/kidnap someone in that base. Gets boring fast.

daveo42

Banned
I just wanted a new MGS game. After Ground Zeroes, I was hoping for basically MGS4 without the loading screens between each area. One long, flowing corridor layout, incredibly dense with incidental details and the handcrafted experience Kojima is famous for. Instead, it's more disjointed than ever before. In fact. I'd say that Ground Zeroes is a much better game than MGSV - a playground focused on pure stealth, with no menu screens begging for your attention or 'Destroy tank unit #17'. I'm about to load it up and continue with the main missions, knowing full well that I have to deploy to some random area in the map, trek to where I actually need to go, infiltrate some bare bones outpost and extract some NPC. Boring.

Not really been paying attention to the past 4 years of marketing this game has had, have you? lol.

sam777

I am on episode 26 however
what mission do I need to get to find my people a cure? as they are dying on me left right and centre here.

So I just unlocked Mission 20 and
I can't help but imagine the horror Huey would have to experience if he's ever let out of his confines and forced to navigate the R&D section with all of its stairs and pitfalls and endlessly confusing layout. He has robot legs but they look very clunky to use.

So now GZ is better than Phantom Pain.

I've read it all.

This is what happens a week/two weeks after every big hyped game.

First week= extreme overreactions about the high quality and perfection of the game.

Second week= hyperbole about how awful the game is and how the one that came before it was better.

The truth is somewhere in between, but its closer to perfection than awful by far.

So I'm getting ready to play this game finally, and watched a recap of MGS3 (since it had been a while - I remembered most everything anyways) and then a 3 hour movie of Peace Walker (never played that one). Is there anything crucial I need to know from MGS4 before playing this? I know this takes place before that game, but still. I have played MGS4, but it's been years and some of the details are a bit foggy.

ezekial45

Banned
I am on episode 26 however
what mission do I need to get to find my people a cure? as they are dying on me left right and centre here.

Mission 29 will end the outbreak on Motherbase, however you can stop the spread by placing the infected into quarantine. If they've built the Quarantine platform already, look at all the soldiers placed in there already and check their info in the staff management menu. There's something that is common among all of them, and if you've been paying attention to the nature of the disease, that will give you a clue as how to stop the spread.

So I just unlocked Mission 20 and
I can't help but imagine the horror Huey would have to experience if he's ever let out of his confines and forced to navigate the R&D section with all of its stairs and pitfalls and endlessly confusing layout. He has robot legs but they look very clunky to use.

He
does on BB's birthday. It's really weird if this falls right after these guys torture him and he just sings along.

Yeah, oddly, having the servers up for only 3 hours between emergencies was planned as of yesterday.
It's weird but I got two invasions in the window so I'm grateful for it. And my PF grade upgraded!
Ugh, so frustrating! October 6th is going to be a nightmare.

They've been shitting themselves since yesterday. I have my doubts they'll even be ready for MGO next month.
Yeah, it's either going to be a disaster or delayed.

Unfortunately my game bugged, and I can't get the G44 blueprint. I really hope Konami fixes these bugs. It would suck to put in a couple hundred hours only for a bug to keep me from 100%.

sam777

Mission 29 will end the outbreak on Motherbase, however you can stop the spread by placing the infected into quarantine. If they've built the Quarantine platform already, look at all the soldiers placed in there already and check their info in the staff management menu. There's something that is common among all of them, and if you've been paying attention to the nature of the disease, that will give you a clue as how to stop the spread.
Thanks.
Yeah I think I have solved who to quarantine. They all speak Kikongo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So now GZ is better than Phantom Pain.

I've read it all.

In a short burst? It completely is.

It's pacing is perfect, it's focus is laser guided in stealth (or straight up blowing through everybody to rescue the two people), it's side "ops"/demo-to-show-the-engine-off-in-various-daytimes isn't anything special, sure. But in terms of that opening and closing and the gameplay in the main mission? It's farrrr better paced than Phantom Pain proper.

Phantom Pain has more to do, but there's too much "filler" and putting things in cassettes than properly paced/even-paced cutscenes. You should be able to do to at least 5 main missions before the story further expositions but it doesn't. Until like the back-half where they throw everything at you in cassettes.

It's better in terms of "just give me gameplay, stupid" people. But in terms of those that want the story in addition to gameplay? No, Phantom Pain fails there.

Whoever developed the checkpoint system needs to be shot. I just did two of the mother base target side missions, actually traveled by box from one platform to the next, had the game tell me side ops complete, and it didn't fucking save. I fell from a platform and now neither side op is checked off. Who the fuck designs a system that doesn't auto save when you complete an objective especially when there is no manual save option???

KHlover

Banned
Just wait until fucking Splatoon wins GAF-GOTY in a year where we had Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGSV, and a new Fallout.

Would be a valid choice, it's a really good game. Most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years. GOTYs don't have to be limited to SP games.

hamchan

Just wait until fucking Splatoon wins GAF-GOTY in a year where we had Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGSV, and a new Fallout.

I think all those games (except Fallout because it ain't out) have a chance to win GOTY and absolutely deserve to so far. It's been a great year for games and Splatoon is one of those great games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't want to go to the spoiler thread but I need an answer asap. I've been spoiled on something, and it's starting to bother me a lot. Literal fun crushing stuff.

I've been spoiled that the Kikongo speakers will all die. But even though I fired all of them, I still get Kikongo speakers on my staff. Characters that didn't speak it before including my favorite soldiers magically learned the fucking thing. I will lose my best guys because of this dumb shit? I'm literally thinking of quitting playing. This is goddamn awful.

Chariot

I don't want to go to the spoiler thread but I need an answer asap. I've been spoiled on something, and it's starting to bother me a lot. Literal fun crushing stuff.

I've been spoiled that the Kikongo speakers will all die. But even though I fired all of them, I still get Kikongo speakers on my staff. Characters that didn't speak it before including my favorite soldiers magically learned the fucking thing. I will lose my best guys because of this dumb shit? I'm literally thinking of quitting playing. This is goddamn awful.
Hahahaha
Soldiers learn the languages of other soldiers in the same group as them.

wiibomb

I've been hearing the guards communicate with CP even when I destroy their contact to HQ, i suppose there's no way to dispose of that CP, right? Since there are no comms, i thought it would be in the same place where the guards are

Pungza

Quarantine them, instead of firing

Top Bottom