• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Randam

is there a building in TPP as the on in GZ, where you find Paz?

doubt I'll see soming like Granin Gorki, or Grosni Grad.

"buildings" in TPP till now are a huge disappointment.

duckroll

I don't want to go to the spoiler thread but I need an answer asap. I've been spoiled on something, and it's starting to bother me a lot. Literal fun crushing stuff.

I've been spoiled that the Kikongo speakers will all die. But even though I fired all of them, I still get Kikongo speakers on my staff. Characters that didn't speak it before including my favorite soldiers magically learned the fucking thing. I will lose my best guys because of this dumb shit? I'm literally thinking of quitting playing. This is goddamn awful.

The lesson to learn here is that if you play games by reading half-spoilers without understanding any context and try to "game" the system incorrectly by making assumptions, you get fucked in the butt. Congrats, you've been screwing up your game for no reason at all. Lol.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Huh? Do you mean like bases?

Yeah there are some cool bases.

Is there any reason to tackle missions at daytime? Seems like night reason offers by far the best advantage.

Going in during the day is fun as shit, not too mention intense, if you are wearing the proper camo.

Some outpost are nice but it lacks some indoors levels. And I don't think we can visit the base of GZ unfortunately :/

How do I take out full body armor guys? Can't see any weakness

CQC is the best way. Unless maybe you're going loud, then take some grenade launcher.

I'm on mission 49 and it doesn't look like it. Theres very brief inside play.

Loomba said:
How do I take out full body armor guys? Can't see any weakness

Rocket punch and then extract is the least detectable. Sleep grenades too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Is there any reason to tackle missions at daytime? Seems like night reason offers by far the best advantage.

Yes. easier recon for you, especially since level 1 NVG is shit. Not to mention several guard just begin their shift if you did it around 6:00 am, which mean they're not on their designated post yet

Psoelberg

So now GZ is better than Phantom Pain.

I've read it all.

Lol at Ground Zeroes being a better game than TPP. GZ is basically episode 1 or prologue of TPP that was made into a new game.

This is what happens a week/two weeks after every big hyped game.

First week= extreme overreactions about the high quality and perfection of the game.

Second week= hyperbole about how awful the game is and how the one that came before it was better.

The truth is somewhere in between, but its closer to perfection than awful by far.

Why is it so hard to believe that some people have a different taste that yours?

I really think you guys are among the users who are dragging NeoGaf down as a great place to discuss games with your posts that have no arguments at all and contribute with nothing more than undermine others opinion.

Now, I’m among the people who liked MGS: GZ more than MGS: TPP. Does that make TPP to a bad game? No! But I most say, that I’ve been disappointed throughout my (until now) 50 hours with TPP.

If you make a total of hours where I’ve had fun, then yes, TPP has given me more “fun-hours” than GZ – and yes, the weapons and the buddies delivers and the gameplay is some of the most amazing gameplay I have seen in what is not a platform game.

But! I just think the overall experience was much better in GZ than in TPP. I think the pacing was better, the cutscenes were better, the main mission was better structured than most of the missions in TPP (yes, the honey bee was also really great!), how the cassettes matter in terms of mission structure was better, the base with its geometry, cameras and complexity was better than any of the bases I’ve visited in TPP.

When I’m disappointed with TPP and overall had a greater experience with GZ (though, a lot shorter), it’s because I though that the things I really liked about GZ would also be present in TPP. But I just find the mission structure worse, most of the cutscenes worse, the pacing worse and so on. That’s why I’ll rang my experience with GZ higher than TPP.

I give you my opinion- I don’t understand why that is “hyperbole”.

Kama_1082

Banned
Why is it so hard to believe that some people have a different taste that yours?

I really think you guys are among the users who are dragging NeoGaf down as a great place to discuss games with your posts that have no arguments at all and contribute with nothing more than undermine others opinion.

Now, I’m among the people who liked MGS: GZ more than MGS: TPP. Does that make TPP to a bad game? No! But I most say, that I’ve been disappointed throughout my (until now) 50 hours with TPP.

If you make a total of hours where I’ve had fun, then yes, TPP has given me more “fun-hours” than GZ – and yes, the weapons and the buddies delivers and the gameplay is some of the most amazing gameplay I have seen in what is not a platform game.

But! I just think the overall experience was much better in GZ than in TPP. I think the pacing was better, the cutscenes were better, the main mission was better structured than most of the missions in TPP (yes, the honey bee was also really great!), how the cassettes matter in terms of mission structure was better, the base with its geometry, cameras and complexity was better than any of the bases I’ve visited in TPP.

When I’m disappointed with TPP and overall had a greater experience with GZ (though, a lot shorter), it’s because I though that the things I really liked about GZ would also be present in TPP. But I just find the mission structure worse, most of the cutscenes worse, the pacing worse and so on. That’s why I’ll rang my experience with GZ higher than TPP.

There's tastes and there's bad tastes. We are well within our rights to call you out on your bad taste.

Clegg

What's the best way to approach developing mother base? I've developed 3 command platforms so far and the mandatory medical one. Which platforms should be prioritised?

Fury451

Banned
Supposedly, guards will wear night vision goggles if you do nothing but night missions.

Slight spoilers I guess.

They do. You can disrupt that once you have the ability to do combat deployments.

You can also deal with helmets and other armaments by utilizing those.

Apathy

The people posting about
P A Z
should probably be using spoilers. I don't think most people have gotten there.

After mission
and the
end credits roll, the coming up in part 2 video that shows off a lot of the next events was way too spoilery. Showing Eli in the Sahelanthropus and a bunch of Quiet's story were too much. It reminds me of the last phantom pain trailer that showed Big Boss running away from Sahelanthropus through a tight rock valley (the opening of mission 31). Kojima is normally a good editor but I did not appreciate seeing so much at once.

Edit: Anyone else feel like with TPP out now, you want to do a full chronological playthrough of the games and see it as a giant, decades long story unfold?

What's the best way to approach developing mother base? I've developed 3 command platforms so far and the mandatory medical one. Which platforms should be prioritised?

Base Development is the best as it gives you faster resource processing. Then R&D. Intel last if you use D-Dog, because they just wind up doing what he does in the field.

Honestly just build any that don't require Fuel, because you get way more Common Metal, Minor Metal and Bio Material than you do Fuel.

J-Skee

Finally finished Mission 46.
I guess it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Eli not having Phantom Snake's DNA, for instance. It also explained how Big Boss lost the horn & got an arm (because he never had a horn & never lost his arm). Even the Phantom's deafening silence is cleared up. What it doesn't explain though is how Big Boss goes full villain. As far as I can tell, the only bit of that was from Huey when they exiled him, saying that "the outside world views you as terrorists".

SomTervo

I'm pretty sure guards are more spread out during the day. Can make some missions/bases an absolute cakewalk.

At night they see far worse but are more clustered together.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure guards are more spread out during the day. Can make some missions/bases an absolute cakewalk.

Not to mention that deploying at night time only will result in enemies wearing night vision goggles.

backlot

I don't want to go to the spoiler thread but I need an answer asap. I've been spoiled on something, and it's starting to bother me a lot. Literal fun crushing stuff.

I've been spoiled that the Kikongo speakers will all die. But even though I fired all of them, I still get Kikongo speakers on my staff. Characters that didn't speak it before including my favorite soldiers magically learned the fucking thing. I will lose my best guys because of this dumb shit? I'm literally thinking of quitting playing. This is goddamn awful.

Uh...
They don't all die and you shouldn't be firing them...

Tuck

I see where you're coming from. I do sort of wish TPP took a more GZ approach with big open bases to infiltrate that are sort of their own map, rather than the open world. I don't mind the open world, but I don't think it's a strength either. And its unfortunate that there's seemingly nothing as big as the GZ level in TPP. That's not to say the level design in TPP is bad - the individual outposts are all fantastically designed. I prefer TPP overall but I do see where you're coming from.

I swear the game is completely wrong about security being more lax at night. Seems to be the opposite for me.

shiba5

They don't all die (I lost like 3-5). You just need to quarantine them and then rush through to mission 29 - then they get better.

KHlover

Banned
Yes. easier recon for you, especially since level 1 NVG is shit. Not to mention several guard just begin their shift if you did it around 6:00 am, which mean they're not on their designated post yet

Night is so bright in this game that you don't need NVG at all. As for enemies wearing NVGs...still seem to be blind as a mole. During day enemies easily can see me from ~70m or so if I don't wear the proper camo, those NVG dudes never notice me until I'm within 30m or so.

Magnus

I'm finding this game rather daunting compared to my expectations. Came in rather blind after playing and loving previous MGS' and didn't anticipate such a different gameplay model.

I dig base building and all. The mission structure is a bit of a turn off. Is there any way to know which ones I can stick to for the main story? I really don't have the time and fortitude to do everything right now but I do want to experience the main story sooner rather than later.

The menus are so poorly laid out and hard to read. Some friends and I are just finding mother base management a real chore.

I'm finding that I generally suck at the game too but that's my own problem. I've done up to and including mission 6 and typically get spotted several times per mission, lol.

Can anyone offer advice on a good way to develop mother base in the early game? I'm not motivated at all to do the research right now on which things to build and do and just want to play the main game without screwing myself over too much with MB.

KHlover

Banned
anyone know if you can just abort a mission after completing some tasks and it will save them?

If you manually call in a Chopper it saves all the stuff you've extracted so far. If you abort from the menu, idk.

OT: When did the cost for calling in the chopper increase so much? Could have sworn it was 1000 GMP when I started the game, but right now it's 16k GMP. When and why did that happen?

dealer-

He asked if there were any big bases in TPP like the big central one in Ground Zeroes where you find Paz.

Sorry, wasn't responding to you, what you said was fine. Someone else mentioned that
Paz
was being mentioned and I was trying to say that I had seen some other posts related to Phantom Pain earlier.

Top Bottom