• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Blader

Maybe the pacing really tapers off later, but I'm 13 missions in right and think there's been a good balance of story/exposition so far. It's far less compared to other MGS titles by this point, but by this point (13 hours) I would've also been finished with every other MGS. :lol

Setsuna

I went from Non lethal, to Non lethal only to mess up somewhere and go lethal, to full lethal, to elevated lethal with
parasite
armor.

Now i'm just calling in air strikes and air support, while blowing things up in a tank, meanwhile Quiet is providing covering fire with
sinful butterfly
which feels overpowered as hell

Finished Chapter 1. So does chapter 2 have a lot more cutscenes? Seems like it from the bit I've played. I've got one every time I've gone back to MB and the sizzle reel had a lot of crazy stuff in it.

Magnus

Early game mother base sucks. Honestly just press R3 on the staff management screen and choose "All Staff" it will auto organize your guys and put them in the best spots for you, especially helpful when you unlock a new unit. Just keep fultoning a ton of guys and soon you will be fine. No that im a bit farthe I only do manual staff management when Im trying to meet the equirements for a particular upgrade. Once the upgrade is finished I autoorganize everyone back to where they were

TLDR: Press R3 on Staff Management Page

Thanks, yeah. That's what I've been doing. As long as that won't screw me, I'll stick with that for now.

Ishida

Banned
Finished Chapter 1. So does chapter 2 have a lot more cutscenes? Seems like it from the bit I've played. I've got one every time I've gone back to MB and the sizzle reel had a lot of crazy stuff in it.

Chapter 2 has one FANTASTIC mission that is easily on par with pulling the trigger to kill The Boss or the Microwave hallway from MGS4.

The rest is crap.

Question regarding (early game spoiler)
Paz. I've found all ten photos but I never saw a cutscene to end the plot thread.
Anyone know what's up?

wiibomb

I don't get this... the target practice in mother base cannot be done with a gun? I have been hitting the targets with CQC but I won't finish never at this pace

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is the strangest I have ever been about a game, I think. I like it, but I don't ever want to play it. Getting spotted is just the worst in this. In the other MGS games it was a thrill to get away and hide. In this, whenever I get spotted I just turn the game off and come back the next day or something. The ridiculous amounts of running is really, really tiring as well. Doing the side op that led to mission 12, and then mission 12, was just fucking terrible. I was a hair away from just quitting the game entirely the whole time I was running.

This is the strangest I have ever been about a game, I think. I like it, but I don't ever want to play it. Getting spotted is just the worst in this. In the other MGS games it was a thrill to get away and hide. In this, whenever I get spotted I just turn the game off and come back the next day or something. The ridiculous amounts of running is really, really tiring as well. Doing the side op that led to mission 12, and then mission 12, was just fucking terrible. I was a hair away from just quitting the game entirely the whole time I was running.

Sounds like you really need to develop
the stealth camo.
You can also play a certain tape that erases the alert level by playing it on speakers.

KHlover

Banned

What running? Either use D-Horse or take a Jeep with you.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sounds like you really need to develop
the stealth camo.
You can also play a certain tape that erases the alert level by playing it on speakers.

Maybe. It is just one of the few things that unreasonably annoy the hell out of me with the game.

What running? Either use D-Horse or take a Jeep with you.

Even with D-horse, jeep, whatever it is just a horrible long distance with only avoiding checkpoints to do. It is awful.

I'm very early in chapter 2 and have a question for those who have finished, near the end or are well into chapter 2.

Are there a decent amount of new
missions, or should I expect most of them to be Subsistence and Extreme variants? I though I read here that there were just under 50 main missions, are these included in that total?

slash3584

I felt something similar today.

Had a great experience doing a side op so after I finished I thought Hey let's use the fast travel and go this other base which also has a side op available!

After arriving on said base I got spotted trying to leave the box drop off point so I said what gives I just reset to the last checkpoint and i'll try again without getting spotted.

Big mistake. The checkpoint for some reason was at the first base which wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact that the base was fully occupied again with soldiers and stuff.

I was like really? I mean I expected at least a checkpoint outside or on the box drop off point on the second base.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am obsessed with just moving base to base and clearing them out of people/resources. It is so bad I am not even doing missions because of it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm very early in chapter 2 and have a question for those who have finished, near the end or are well into chapter 2.

Are there a decent amount of new
missions, or should I expect most of them to be Subsistence and Extreme variants? I though I read here that there were just under 50 main missions, are these included in that total?

Without spoiling anything, all I can say is "don't expect too much". And yes, they are included in the total. I can write down the exact numbers, but that'll ruin it. Just remember to keep doing Side Ops to unlock more story missions.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Chapter 1. That was good. Damn good. The beginning of Chapter 2 was great as well.

Without spoiling anything, all I can say is "don't expect too much". And yes, they are included in the total. I can write down the exact numbers, but that'll ruin it. Just remember to keep doing Side Ops to unlock more story missions.

Man, that's some bullshit. I really thought there would be a decent amount more until I started noticing how many of these variants started popping up...heh, thanks.

zoukka

Is it a known issue that iDroid loading times increase for some people? It can take up to 15 seconds to load up for me and my friend now, is it an online problem?

Rodin

Just wait until fucking Splatoon wins GAF-GOTY in a year where we had Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGSV, and a new Fallout.

Splatoon is definitely a GOTY contender and unless i'm missing something you didn't play Fallout 4 yet. For now i'd give it to Witcher 3, but if Splatoon wins (and it won't) i would have nothing against it. And for good reasons.

But yeah, saying GZ is better than TPP is a bit of a stretch obviously. TPP is flawed, but it's still a great game.

Except for the fact that those people are an extreme minority.

And that they have Mario Maker to consider anyway (which is number 2 for me right now, just behind Geralt).

RS4-

Is it a known issue that iDroid loading times increase for some people? It can take up to 15 seconds to load up for me and my friend now, is it an online problem?

If you're connected to the konami servers, all the menus are shit. At least on ps4.

So I just unlocked all the FOB crap. I'm 60 hours into this game and only in Mission 21. I'm having so much fun with the game as it is and already know I'll end up investing 100 hours by the time I see the end credits that I don't have the will or the time to invest dozens more in the whole defend my bases, retaliate and getting my fucking soldiers stolen.

My question is simple: is there a way to keep my MGSV experience a solo one? I want nothing to do with soldier stealing and invasions.

Cronen

So I just unlocked all the FOB crap. I'm 60 hours into this game and only in Mission 21. I'm having so much fun with the game as it is and already know I'll end up investing 100 hours by the time I see the end credits that I don't have the will or the tile to invest dozens more in the whole defend my bases, retaliate and getting my fucking soldiers stolen.

My question is simple: is there a way to keep my MGSV experience a solo one? I have no will to get involved in soldier stealing and invasions.

You'll have to go and disconnect from the servers every time you load up the game I believe.

slash3584

So I just unlocked all the FOB crap. I'm 60 hours into this game and only in Mission 21. I'm having so much fun with the game as it is and already know I'll end up investing 100 hours by the time I see the end credits that I don't have the will or the tile to invest dozens more in the whole defend my bases, retaliate and getting my fucking soldiers stolen.

My question is simple: is there a way to keep my MGSV experience a solo one? I have no will to get involved in soldier stealing and invasions.

Just play offline, you can do so by declining the first license agreement when starting the game.

gblues

Banned
How do I take out full body armor guys? Can't see any weakness

Grenades will take out the armor, after that you can headshot them like anyone else. I had to do this in mission 18?
the one where you rescue the two captured Intel guys.

Gaz_RB

I really wish we could do the extreme and subsistence and total stealth variants on whatever mission we want. I need more difficulty in my life.

Just play offline, you can do so by declining the first license agreement when starting the game.
I'll disconnect from konmi servers then. I was worried that even this way I'd get shit stolen.

But what license agreement? You mean the one I got the very first time I turned on my game? Because now I only see online announcements when I turn it on.

I cannot believe I'm reading this game goes all the way to mission 45 and shit. 60 hours in and at M21 that's crazy talk

Yes, you can avoid doing the mission where your base is being invaded. But I advise doing it, then if you want just don't build an FOB base and that way you can't get invaded (it's not your main mother base)

But, if you want a trophy/achievement then you have to build a base, then invade someone. Also, I could be wrong but if you don't build beyond the main base then I don't think they can really steal anything other than some soldiers you have in your security team since the command base doesn't have any containers, so you can just dump crap soldiers into it.

Ok can I permanently go offline inside the game or via the PS4 options?

Inside the game is good enough.

Top Bottom