• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any tips on mission 36? Feel like none of my guns can put a dent in these armored guys and there are so many and they move in pairs.

Am I under leveled and have to just grind side ops to get better guns? R&D and other groups are all around the mid 20s...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission 45 is driving me insane.

I spawned into the mission with my sneaking set which is basically all tranq and distraction tools and then they give me a shit rpg instead of one of the way better ones I have. The bullshit though is how there are so many fucking tanks and if the soldiers on the ground catch you with a stray bulllet than a tank kills you in one hit even with battle armor on. Fuck this shit the checkpoint takes you back like 10 tanks and a chopper to go.

Pretty sure you can supply drop weapons and suits into your game. Just do it early.

Sub_Level

Any tips on mission 36? Feel like none of my guns can put a dent in these armored guys and there are so many and they move in pairs.

Am I under leveled and have to just grind side ops to get better guns? R&D and other groups are all around the mid 20s...

For that one I got an S rank by using smoke grenades and the bionic arm.

Just crawl up to the top of the mountain near the tents which should be where the Walker Gears are. Chuck a few smoke grenades and then use your bionic arm to knock them out. If you don't have the bionic arm then CQC slams will also work. Then I just crawled away.

edit: And remember to use night vision when you use the smoke grenades.

TitusTroy

I'm up to Mission 28...when do I get the ability to extract those mist Skull enemies?...do I need to develop a new ability for the Fulton in the Development menu?

Sub_Level

I'm up to Mission 28...when do I get the ability to extract those mist Skull enemies?...do I need to develop a new ability for the Fulton in the Development menu?

Try extracting the Skulls in mission 29. Then complete a thing called the Parasite Suit in R&D.

edgefusion

Mission 45:
I gave up on this earlier after banging my head against it for hours and watched the ending on YouTube, but I'm bored this evening so thought I'd go back and give it another shot. I really don't see how it's even possible for me to finish this mission:

• I never upgraded any rocket launchers - it takes 6 or 7 missiles to take out one tank.
• I'm completely out of GMP from my previous attempts so I can't call in bombardments or sandstorms (It's total BS that despite restarting you don't get given back the GMP you spent).
• I don't have any mines, only un-upgraded C4.
• I can't use the crate to fulton myself out as it's not there.
• The chicken hat does nothing to stop tanks or trucks from shooting at me.
• I'm wearing the sneaking suit, and as I can't access the ACC switching to the battle dress is out of the question.

I'm totally fucked aren't I? There really isn't any option for me other than to just stop playing? This mission has completely ruined my game.

Sub_Level

So, I just got to Mission 25 or so. Spoilers below.

So, I had to quarantine a bunch of dudes. I noticed that the common denominator was that everyone that was sick spoke the same two languages (outside of English) so I quarantined about 30 or so of them. I might have left some people behind that aren't in quarantine, but I spent like 20 minutes going through my staff, and I do NOT want to keep doing that right now. I'm assuming I should just barrel through the next few missions?

Also, I'm not maxed out with Quiet but I did just change my emblem to the butterfly. That prevents her from running off, and prevents the mission 29 bug from occuring, right?

To make the process faster, use the Square button to select multiple staff at one time. Yeah it is annoying but either you should get it over with now or you should hurry and rush to complete Mission 29.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. Thanks guys. What about the other parts of my question?

Well yeah,
just power through those missions. But you seem to have found the way of transmission of the infection though. Just take in account, the people who died cannot be recovered, and you lose Heroism for letting them die. I do suggest quarantine for everyone you suspect of that or every time you open your iDroid, people will be dead.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm totally fucked aren't I? There really isn't any option for me other than to just stop playing? This mission has completely ruined my game.[/spoiler]

You can try running around and fultoning the vehicles out.

Apart from that, based on what you described, the odds really are heavily against you.

Neverfade

Apologies for answering a question that's probably been asked a dozen times, but what do I miss if I skip Ground Zeroes and go right into V?

Sub_Level

Mission 45:
I gave up on this earlier after banging my head against it for hours and watched the ending on YouTube, but I'm bored this evening so thought I'd go back and give it another shot. I really don't see how it's even possible for me to finish this mission:

• I never upgraded any rocket launchers - it takes 6 or 7 missiles to take out one tank.
• I'm completely out of GMP from my previous attempts so I can't call in bombardments or sandstorms (It's total BS that despite restarting you don't get given back the GMP you spent).
• I'm wearing the sneaking suit, and as I can't access the ACC switching to the battle dress is out of the question.

I'm totally fucked aren't I? There really isn't any option for me other than to just stop playing? This mission has completely ruined my game.

You should be able to drop your Battle Suit into that fight with a supply drop, dude. It doesn't matter since even with the Battle Suit, the later tanks in that fight one-shot you.

Its doable but yeah it will take you a while. I would not recommend mines or C4. Stick to using cover and calling in ammo when appropriate.

AEREC

Mission 45:

You cant call in a supply drop for a new suit? Also I just ended up fultoning pretty much all the vehicles.

Also cant you just quit and do more side ops for GMP and Upgrades?

AEREC

Apologies for answering a question that's probably been asked a dozen times, but what do I miss if I skip Ground Zeroes and go right into V?

Some cool cutscenes that setup the events for TPP. I would just play GZ...it takes like 2 hours at most. Or just youtube it.

I've been getting a lot of cutscenes on MB now I've completed chapter 1. This despite me not doing any chapter 2 main missions yet (have 3 available).

I've only been doing random side ops that have been available for a while - prisoner extractions etc - but have returned to MB each time I've completed one. On each return there's usually a new cutscene. It's kinda surprised me considering how sparse they were earlier in the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How far ar you? I was in this camp, but the story really picks up when youre around 10hrs in

I'm still trying to unlock
mission 46
but honestly and completely: Ground Zeroes was better paced with it's intro and outro. The major problem with Ground Zeroes was that the main mission was too short. However in tone and function, it is MILES ahead of Phantom Pain's "filler" and throwing everything into cassettes and never really having cutscenes until the back-half where it's apparent they were thrown together to try to salvage the project.

Compare Ground Zeroes "tone" in story and themes to Phantom Pains lack and you'll see where I'm coming from. Yeah, Phantom Pain has thousands of guns... if you want to go lethal... and options to go about doing that, but story-wise? It falls on it's face, and I'm one of those "just give me gameplay, stupid" people that complained about the numerous cutscenes in MGS4.

I have to respectfully and strongly disagree. First of all, your arsenal in Ground Zeroes is anemic. Even after you unlock guns to use in the mission, which are the same guns by the way, you still have very few options. And, you don't have much other equipment. In The Phantom Pain, you have a vast arsenal, a lot of different equipment, and Buddies which really change the dynamic of the game.

So from a gameplay perspective, I think The Phantom Pain is objectively better pretty much immediately, and especially a few hours in once you've unlocked some more stuff.

You're talking gameplay. I'm talking story pacing and gameplay peppering through. There is some serious pacing issues with Phantom Pain and the cassettes are just a lame way of fixing that.

SRTtoZ

Quick question about Mission 8.

How the fuck am I supposed to destroy these tanks before they get to their destination? From what I can tell it takes all 4 c4 to destroy (not disable) one tank so I'd have to get a supply drop but after destroying the first one all hell breaks loose.

There are a bunch of ways.
C4, anti vehicle mines, missile launcher, use a tank, steal that awesome special missile launcher that shoots 4 rockets at once from the truck during the mission (they tell you about it as you're in the mission). Keep in mind you only need to destroy 1, everything else after that is gravy.

I'm still trying to unlock
mission 46
but honestly and completely: Ground Zeroes was better paced with it's intro and outro. The major problem with Ground Zeroes was that the main mission was too short. However in tone and function, it is MILES ahead of Phantom Pain's "filler" and throwing everything into cassettes and never really having cutscenes until the back-half where it's apparent they were thrown together to try to salvage the project.

Compare Ground Zeroes "tone" in story and themes to Phantom Pains lack and you'll see where I'm coming from. Yeah, Phantom Pain has thousands of guns... if you want to go lethal... and options to go about doing that, but story-wise? It falls on it's face, and I'm one of those "just give me gameplay, stupid" people that complained about the numerous cutscenes in MGS4.

You're talking gameplay. I'm talking story pacing and gameplay peppering through. There is some serious pacing issues with Phantom Pain and the cassettes are just a lame way of fixing that.

Completely agree. That game would have been GOTG if the story and pacing were up to par but it falls flat on its face pretty hard. The stealth gameplay is some of the best ive ever played, if not the best, but there's so much filler that I lost interest the 10th time I had to extract intel from someone with no story to push the game forward.

edgefusion

You cant call in a supply drop for a new suit? Also I just ended up fultoning pretty much all the vehicles.

Also cant you just quit and do more side ops for GMP and Upgrades?

The game won't allow me to quit the mission. On dying the only options I have are "continue from checkpoint", "restart mission" and "Return to title menu" - I've tried all 3 and I'm completely locked into this impossible mission.

How can I fulton the vehicles safely? Whether I'm using the chicken hat or stealth pp I get insta-spotted and sniped by tanks the moment I'm out of cover.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There are a bunch of ways.
C4, anti vehicle mines, missile launcher, use a tank, steal that awesome special missile launcher that shoots 4 rockets at once from the truck during the mission (they tell you about it as you're in the mission). Keep in mind you only need to destroy 1, everything else after that is gravy.

Isn't that Mission 9?

bryt

If I direct contract my staff I can't lose them due to FOB invasions right? I'm thinking about sticking all my S rank guys into my security team.

Juicy Bob

63 hours in and I still haven't got bored of arriving somewhere and fultoning every single fucking thing I can find.

This game makes my inner hoarder so happy.

wiibomb

63 hours in and I still haven't got bored of arriving somewhere and fultoning every single fucking thing I can find.

This game makes my inner hoarder so happy.

THIS... as a hoarder this games satiates my needs

EDIT: but I haven't been able to fulton cars and guns and containers, so I guess I will eventually

Won

Welp, decided to push through the last few missions today and finished the game. Fascinating experience. I wrote off the series after MGS4 and pretty much ignored everything releated to this series until 2 weeks ago. It was clearly not for me anymore. But after some early impressions/reviews and the whole Konami fallout deicided to give this game a shot anyway.

And man, I'm glad I did. Don't remember the last time I spent so much time with a game. The gameplay is pure excellence. And I don't think we will see anything like it again in the near future.

Of course I also have to echo some of the "bad" stuff. There is lots of bloat going on in this game and the game really crumbles under it in the later parts. I don't think I have ever seen so many menus, side- and submenus in a game. And they just kept coming.
Everything about the MB stuff felt just unnecessary.
Didn't really like buddy system either. They are fun to use and all that, but man do they trivialize things...
It's a big game so there is a lot more to say, but I will just assume most of it was said already and belongs in the spoiler thread anyway.

Oh there was a story too. It was ok, I guess.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
How can I fulton the vehicles safely? Whether I'm using the chicken hat or stealth pp I get insta-spotted and sniped by tanks the moment I'm out of cover.

The trick with that is to disorient them a bit then run as fast as possible while they're turning their sights, until you get close enough for their shots to be unfeasible.

Not a sure fire way of course - it's very risky.

Ludens

Banned
You can't extract vehicles that early on.

You can if you have the Fulton upgrade. Anyway there's no need to extract them, there's a very specific route you can take, and with only one supply request you should be able to destroy all vehicles, if your Grom and C3 are upgraded enough. It required me like three tries, but I managed to S rank it. You can even let one vehicle alone and still get S rank.

Stevey

Just done mission 43, does anyone know for sure how to unlock mission 46?
Reading lots of different things, its really confusing.
Do I have to do mission 45? (which hasnt unlocked yet)
Does Mother Base have to be fully upgraded?

Mission 28 tho. The
snuper skulls made up for the slightly dissappointing Quiet fight, and the mansion infiltration was super badass.

Mission 29 was great as well.
strafing around on d-Walker until I ran out of ammo was a blast, and then going explosive on the ground in conjunction with melee countering was sweet
It wasn't hard at all, but it was a cool fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Completely agree. That game would have been GOTG if the story and pacing were up to par but it falls flat on its face pretty hard. The stealth gameplay is some of the best ive ever played, if not the best, but there's so much filler that I lost interest the 10th time I had to extract intel from someone with no story to push the game forward.

Since that
"Chapter 3: PEACE" image
leaked, I'm curious if the original vision of the game was better paced like Ground Zeroes focus or if it was meandering like Phantom Pain currently is and that's why Konami had Kojima push it out the door.

Top Bottom