• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

In mission 29
How do I get past the skull unit?! As soon as I knock out the armor off of one, it's impossible to shoot at that skull as they disappear before the bullet hits them. Even if I snipe from a long distance! What do I do?

So I'm pretty much maxed out on my unit staff across the board, and not enough materials to expand any platforms just yet.

Where is a good place to farm for materials?

Also, should I just dismiss my lowest rank guys so there's room for new recruits, or will the recruits just go straight to the waiting room?

Edit: I'm at mission 14

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Late Chapter 2 progression question
done all the important side ops and all the new story missions so far. 46 would be the next new story mission but it's not open yet. Do I just need to play missions for a while to get it to unlock? Do Side Ops count?

tesqui

Oh man better off not touching the spoiler thread if you liked the story and ending.(Which seems to be just me and a rare few others.)

I was so excited to share opinions!

shiba5

Late Chapter 2 progression question
done all the important side ops and all the new story missions so far. 46 would be the next new story mission but it's not open yet. Do I just need to play missions for a while to get it to unlock? Do Side Ops count?

Do any yellow side ops. You can do regular side ops if none are yellow. Check back at Mother Base as you will sometimes get a cutscene that advances the story.

shiba5

Oh man better off not touching the spoiler thread if you liked the story and ending.(Which seems to be just me and a rare few others.)

I thought it was fine for the most part - better than most video game plots. But, this is my first MGS game and it sounds like it's the series fans that have major issues with it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do any yellow side ops. You can do regular side ops if none are yellow. Check back at Mother Base as you will sometimes get a cutscene that advances the story.
Cool. Was hoping I could just do Side Ops.
the extreme/pure stealth missions are a bit much for me

Scavenger

In mission 29
How do I get past the skull unit?! As soon as I knock out the armor off of one, it's impossible to shoot at that skull as they disappear before the bullet hits them. Even if I snipe from a long distance! What do I do?
Just mow em down with an LMG and a shotgun.

TitusTroy

Try extracting the Skulls in mission 29. Then complete a thing called the Parasite Suit in R&D.

I just finished Mission 29...the game doesn't even tell you that you now have the ability to extract Skulls...something important like that should have been made more clear

TitusTroy

In mission 29

immediately climb to the roof of that warehouse...the Skulls don't climb up there for some reason...you can easily pick them off from there with a rocket launcher or other weapons...just be careful of their rock throws and rock spears

Shauni

Yeah, it's become pretty toxic in there unfortunately. I understand why a lot of people didn't like it and all, but in classic internet fashion, some people are just so hyperbolic it's hard to have a real conversation about it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

You're giving me hope that I might like the ending, thanks!

Some of that toxic hyperbole has come here too. Pretty bad, actually made me wanna stop playing. Some posts seemed as if the ending was so bad, that it would be better if MG had never been made.

Ame

I'm also one of the few who enjoyed the story/ending. Not the best in the series, but I didn't hate it. Went straight to the spoiler thread only to get the fuck out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm also one of the few who enjoyed the story/ending. Not the best in the series, but I didn't hate it. Went straight to the spoiler thread only to get the fuck out.

Actually I think in the long-run I think the complainers will turn out to be the minority.

Everyone I know who's playing it, loves it, and is kinda puzzled as to why the internet is going off about it.

And yeah, that spoiler thread is pretty grim.

So after playing sneaky for most of the game, and then having several big screws up in a row, it really feels like it's just so much easier to just go in Rambo on missions? Going stealthy and slow just takes forever, but going all HAM and blowing shit away, the whole thing feels way too easy then. Does this really change cause this is kinda bummer if I'm wasting my time by being all sneaky

Elfstruck

I just finished Mission 29...the game doesn't even tell you that you now have the ability to extract Skulls...something important like that should have been made more clear

Hmm I dont think you can extract them until you develop
wormhole
. I'm not entirely sure.

hal9001

Banned
Just reached chapter 2. The trailer before it looks amazing. Feels like a beginning to a sequel game. Hopefully it lives up to to it. Can't wait.

jediyoshi

How the fuck do I control D-Walker? I feel like I'm missing something between Walk Mode and Drive Mode

I think it's mostly just the drive mode that's confusing. When you're in drive mode, think about it as a vehicle where the acceleration is X/Square button. Control wise, it works pretty similarly to this in terms of turning. https://youtu.be/hbGXBUif-PE?t=15 That is, if you try to accelerate and turn, for some reason you keep your original momentum on top of the new direction you're going.

It's easier to understand when you're in first person while in drive mode doing dumb drifts.

Just reached chapter 2. The trailer before it looks amazing. Feels like a beginning to a sequel game. Hopefully it lives up to to it. Can't wait.

I hope you've been doing side ops for unlocking new missions' sake.

Question about unlocking a later mission past
Is there anything I have to do to unlock story missions past 42? I've been doing all my available side ops and I still haven't had 43 pop up.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I feel like this game is Kojima loving his fans and at the same time laughing at them for caring about the series so much. It's like "If I'm going to make this game it's going to be the best game I'm going to make, but I'm going to hate you for it at the same time."

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this game is Kojima loving his fans and at the same time laughing at them for caring about the series so much. It's like "If I'm going to make this game it's going to be the best game I'm going to make, but I'm going to hate you for it at the same time."

"YOU MADE ME WASTE 28 YEARS ON THIS"

Chariot

So after playing sneaky for most of the game, and then having several big screws up in a row, it really feels like it's just so much easier to just go in Rambo on missions? Going stealthy and slow just takes forever, but going all HAM and blowing shit away, the whole thing feels way too easy then. Does this really change cause this is kinda bummer if I'm wasting my time by being all sneaky
Snort. How far are you? At some point going Ramvo us getting difficult with mor guards, better equipment and the ability to call gunships as reinforcement.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Snort. How far are you? At some point going Ramvo us getting difficult with mor guards, better equipment and the ability to call gunships as reinforcement.

They can call gunships?! Shit.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Also how are you guys beating this game so fast, I am only on like mission 12. These missions are long, and the checkpoints are not exactly forgiving.

Whoaaaaaaaaa hooooooooooooo

That took me around 170 hours.. Now I feel empty, I don't know what to do with my life, lol. Never platinum'd the previous MGS's but I felt like I should just do it with this one because it's the last MGS that matters.

Farewell my favorite franchise..

that was quick. I am currently working on the tasks...these boring, absolutely stupid tasks...

Im pretty much over this game now and cant wait until im done

brinstar

god the pacing in the last bit of this game just comes grinding to a screeching halt.

and no matter how many outer ops I send my guys on like every enemy I encounter now is fully armored with near instakill shotguns

TitusTroy

Hmm I dont think you can extract them until you develop
wormhole
. I'm not entirely sure.

immediately after finishing Mission 29 I went back into it to see if I could extract them and I could...it gave me credit for completing the optional objective of 'Extracting the Skulls'...I didn't develop the
wormhole
yet...what was weird was that the Skulls bodies would disappear after the last one was killed...so I killed 3 of them and extracted them before killing the 4th one...when you develop the
wormhole
do the bodies remain there?

Zocano

Just finished Chapter 1!

I'm sad that I know that the game loses all steam at this point and will just leave me feeling unsatisfied at this point, because those last few missions were fucking great.

Shauni

Part of me wants to 100% the game, but getting S rank on all missions, getting all those tasks, and getting all the animals and base modifications is just going to be too time consuming I think. Like PW, it's a bit too grindy for my tastes with some things, but I still love it overall.

sappyday

How come it says I have 17 side-ops available when I only 9 that I haven't done? There are some that I've done but they still are highlighted.

jediyoshi

Actually I think in the long-run I think the complainers will turn out to be the minority.

Everyone I know who's playing it, loves it, and is kinda puzzled as to why the internet is going off about it.

And yeah, that spoiler thread is pretty grim.

Except the overlap there doesn't really work out. Chances are if you're playing the game at a reasonable pace, the point at which those complaints actually factor in haven't made their way into the game yet. Unless things are underrated to begin with like Speed Racer, things tend to get more grim in hindsight.

AEREC

Just finished mission

Fuck this game. FUCK it. And fuck you, Kojima.

I can't even put into words how angry I am right now, holy shit.

lol.

I feel like the game is even more of a masterpiece based on the fact that it's got so many people fuming at the ending.

AEREC

Just finished Chapter 1!

I'm sad that I know that the game loses all steam at this point and will just leave me feeling unsatisfied at this point, because those last few missions were fucking great.

Honestly it really depends on what your expectations are. I finished chapter 1 around the 40 hour mark and it felt complete so I figure anything after that is a bonus...since chapter 1 feels like a complete game.

Starting to get to that point as well.... MGS4 had the same problem

Top Bottom