• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Shauni

What's the pro tip for those wandering MSF soldiers? They run too fast!

Play Love Deterrence on your iDroid with a speaker upgrade and they will come to you. Use a box as they come to you, and once they are standing next to you in the box they will recognize you and come without resistance.

DeSolos

Just finished Chapter 1!

I'm sad that I know that the game loses all steam at this point and will just leave me feeling unsatisfied at this point, because those last few missions were fucking great.

Cherish this moment, enjoy it for what it is.
And check YouTube for cut things when you're done for at least a little closure.

So I just did mission
, I've listened to
both tapes where we find out Huey was behind it
, and nothing else with a yellow dot is showing up. Do I just keep doing side ops until one does? When should I get to the part where
Quiet leaves
?

So I'm pretty much maxed out on my unit staff across the board, and not enough materials to expand any platforms just yet.

Where is a good place to farm for materials?

Also, should I just dismiss my lowest rank guys so there's room for new recruits, or will the recruits just go straight to the waiting room?

Edit: I'm at mission 14
Halp?

Haunted

This Midge Ure cover of The Man who sold the World is really good. I think I prefer it to the original.

Part of me wants to 100% the game, but getting S rank on all missions, getting all those tasks, and getting all the animals and base modifications is just going to be too time consuming I think. Like PW, it's a bit too grindy for my tastes with some things, but I still love it overall.
I think it's totally fine to play this game until after the credits roll and aim for more total playtime since the gameplay is just so fun (even if it's repetitive).

I think people that go for 100% are doing themselves and the game a disservice, because that is not the way best to spend your time with the game, or in general. :p

The 100% requirements are definitely erring on the wrong side of game design.

So I just did mission
, I've listened to
both tapes where we find out Huey was behind it
, and nothing else with a yellow dot is showing up. Do I just keep doing side ops until one does? When should I get to the part where
Quiet leaves
?
Yes

After Main Mission 45, which follows after side ops 150

Ame

Is this game down hill after chapter 1? I'm at 38 and game seems not up to par with chapter 1 so far.

One of the best missions in the game is in chapter 2. Although chapter 2 has
a lot more filler due to the fact that between the 6 or so main story missions, you're redoing harder versions of older missions. So it feels more lazily put together.

Zocano

Honestly it really depends on what your expectations are. I finished chapter 1 around the 40 hour mark and it felt complete so I figure anything after that is a bonus...since chapter 1 feels like a complete game.

I definitely agree about your last comment but so much of it was (and will be)
a build up to Metal Gear 1 and I know it won't really fulfill that expectation so at least that will temper my disappointment when I get to it.

AEREC

So after playing sneaky for most of the game, and then having several big screws up in a row, it really feels like it's just so much easier to just go in Rambo on missions? Going stealthy and slow just takes forever, but going all HAM and blowing shit away, the whole thing feels way too easy then. Does this really change cause this is kinda bummer if I'm wasting my time by being all sneaky

Well...you are graded better for being sneaky.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well...you are graded better for being sneaky.

Outside of the S-rank achievement, there's really no reason to care about the grades you get. You may get a few more GMP, but you can just get even more back by doing Side Ops and Combat Assignments.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I completed mission 30 being sneaky and it felt quite rewarding. Maybe it's just me.

Lanrutcon

How do I visit the zoo on the PC version?

I can't find a link or a platform or a button prompt or anything.

Edit: nvm. Apparently I had to go through the free roam, and then there's a separate link.

Loomba

Quiet story spoilers
ok I get why she can't speak English, but why doesn't she just explain to the team about her situation in a different language like she did with code talker? I have interpreters for just about every damn language available; I don't get it.

TitusTroy

are their any Leaderboards for the Main Missions?...comparing your scores with other players...if not then what's the point of scoring each Mission?

Shauni

Quiet story spoilers
ok I get why she can't speak English, but why doesn't she just explain to the team about her situation in a different language like she did with code talker? I have interpreters for just about every damn language available; I don't get it.

Maybe the only other language she knew was Navajo?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm in a bit of a rush to finish the game up... but can someone tell me how to finish side ops 150?
I'm not sure where to look for Quiet in the search area

sTiTcH AU

Not really understanding why why you have to replay older missions made more difficult on chapter 2. Surely the story missions and the important side ops you have to do is enough. The filler wasn't needed.

Quiet story spoilers

I thought it was mentioned in one of the tapes that
Navajo is immune?

kris.

Banned
Yo, why is Skull Face
wearing a mask in every cutscene I see him in? Dude, that thing is not gonna protect your identity or anything. You're fuck-ugly and everyone can tell it's you even with the mask on. There's literally no point.

Yo, why is Skull Face
wearing a mask in every cutscene I see him in? Dude, that thing is not gonna protect your identity or anything. You're fuck-ugly and everyone can tell it's you even with the mask on. There's literally no point.

Why wouldn't he wear it?
Maybe it keeps his eyes in place, idk...

Haunted

Quiet story spoilers
big spoilers:
Kojima isn't a very good writer.

Geg

Not really understanding why why you have to replay older missions made more difficult on chapter 2. Surely the story missions and the important side ops you have to do is enough. The filler wasn't needed.

You don't have to do any of them, just do the yellow story missions and the yellow side ops

Lunar15

I'm all over the place on this game. Sometimes I think the gameplay's great, other times I think it just feels great while not actually being all that interesting whatsoever. Snake controls great and his tools are interesting, but the levels vary from somewhat interesting (OKB/The Mansion) to, "oh, it's another small shitty village with absolutely no interesting placement of anything at all". I'm getting A's and S's without significant effort, and some missions feel so easy and straightforward that it's laughable. Nothing in the game tops Ground Zeroes... which, thinking about that is weird.

No idea how to feel about this game, I just want to be done at this point. The fact that anyone would rank this above an 8 is crazy to me, but to each their own. I get why people love it, I guess.

Quiet story spoilers

I think she knows it would cause more problems. Kaz wouldn't believe that bs

Early chapter 2 yellow side op spoilers. So I just recovered the
AI Pod
. Head back to MB with Quiet and a cutscene starts of
her being tortured with Miller mentioning her being in Cyprus 9 years ago attempting to kill Boss. Kinda wondering why Boss hasn't mentioned anything about her attempting to kill him back then.
Still the cutscene kinda came outta nowhere.

the optional tasks are similar to the full syncs in assassins creed, which is fine. But then they made some of them EXACTLY like tailing/eavesdropping in assassins creed...why would they do this

I wasn't really planning on getting this CE...I didn't preorder it, and I own the game digitally on PS4 already, but when I spotted this today at Target for this price, I just had an impulse to grab it.

Jsgzi3z.jpg

Anyone know why this would be in the clearance section at this price so soon?? Aren't these hard to find?

SeanTSC

Well, got my Platinum after leaving my PS4 on for 23 hours to get a stupid nuke built for my last couple trophies.

And unlike other Metal Gear games, I don't feel like I'd ever replay it. It's a big, glorious, amazing game and I loved playing it (sans the retarded, pointless timers), but it completely feels like it's One and Done and not something I want to do again.

Shauni

Early chapter 2 yellow side op spoilers. So I just recovered the
AI Pod
. Head back to MB with Quiet and a cutscene starts of
her being tortured with Miller mentioning her being in Cyprus 9 years ago attempting to kill Boss. Kinda wondering why Boss hasn't mentioned anything about her attempting to kill him back then.
Still the cutscene kinda came outta nowhere.

Yeah, that part is one thing that I really never got. The only explanation I can think of is that either
Venom was too out of it at that moment to remember her face clearly due to just waking up and not being 100% certain of the things around him, or we're suppose to suspend our belief here and accept that she's suppose to look different enough to not be recognized by Venom in the story.

Lanrutcon

Some of the optional tasks are straight up stupid, especially in a game with some very long fucking missions and no quick save.

Something strange us going on. I'm playing the mission in chapter 2 around mission 20 I think where you have to eliminate the major. I killed everyone in the camp, and no one has escaped so the mission hasn't failed, but I also haven't completed the objective. Even used the cigar to go to daytime hoping I would notice something in the camp.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm standing in the center of his last known position and I don't want to lose everything I fultoned.

Aselith

I wasn't really planning on getting this CE...I didn't preorder it, and I own the game digitally on PS4 already, but when I spotted this today at Target for this price, I just had an impulse to grab it.

Jsgzi3z.jpg

Anyone know why this would be in the clearance section at this price so soon?? Aren't these hard to find?

There were problems with codes on them I believe.

DJChuy

Any way to turn off Quiet's humming? It's kind of annoying and a little creepy.

The enemy AI screwed me over in one mission, but it's also my fault. I tranqualized an enemy on the road and left him there. A truck comes over, sees the body, calls for back-up and then runs over him, killing him in the process. Back-up sees the dead body and goes into alert status :/

Top Bottom