• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

bryt

Just finished episode
Can't believe they made you play through the prologue again. I was bored out of my mind and not skipping any cutscenes just in case I would have missed something, but there was nothing to miss. It was the exact same thing except one thing and the end. Terrible way to end the game. I would have liked it better if we didn't have to play through the prologue again.

Yes.

You don't need to do the EXTREME and SUBSISTENCE versions of older missions, you can just do side ops and listen to tapes and the new missions will open up,they are marked yellow, you should definitely see mission 43 if nothing else

Wait...do you actually have to listen to the tapes to unlock missions??

DrSlek

I just played mission 29.
After the tank I dropped in was fucked up by the gas, I climbed on top of the hangar where the SKULLS couldn't reach me. I felt like I was gaming the system a bit. All I needed to do was spam RPGs at them while avoiding their explodo-rocks and calling in ammo drops

On Chapter 2 and haven't even done the first mission of it. (Spoiler is endgame stuff so read at own risk)
I don't fucking want to lose Quiet.
I will finish the game eventually, but I don't want to.

You don't have to.
Just use the butterfly emblem and you can finish the game without losing her, you can remove it later if you want to see an end to her arch.

Babyshams

Just finished episode
Can't believe they made you play through the prologue again. I was bored out of my mind and not skipping any cutscenes just in case I would have missed something, but there was nothing to miss. It was the exact same thing except one thing and the end. Terrible way to end the game. I would have liked it better if we didn't have to play through the prologue again.

And part of the scenes in the beginning.
You seeing your face in the mirror instead of seeing Big Bosses. And the the pictures with your face in them and the note from Big Boss on the back.

Mass One

Just finished episode

And when the doctor handed you the photo it did the whoosh sound and revealed you were the medic.
So 2 things.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I played the first Silent Hill for PS1. I tried the next one and hated it, and left the series to die outside the theatrical film.

I never played any Silent Hill games, but I really liked PT and was hoping for a game around that idea. The prologue (and some other mission later in the game) reminded me of PT a bit, which is what I mean.

But yeah, if you're not into gaming right now, don't play it. Nothing worse than making yourself do something you clearly are not in the right mindset to do. Sell it, nothing wrong in doing that.

Nuke Soda

You don't have to.
Just use the butterfly emblem and you can finish the game without losing her, you can remove it later if you want to see an end to her arch.

Thanks, I kept hearing she leaves or dies and honesty that made going to the end less desirable. She is my favorite character in the game, too bad she comes at the end of the series.

Sanjuro

I never played any Silent Hill games, but I really liked PT and was hoping for a game around that idea. The prologue (and some other mission later in the game) reminded me of PT a bit, which is what I mean.

But yeah, if you're not into gaming right now, don't play it. Nothing worse than making yourself do something you clearly are not in the right mindset to do. Sell it, nothing wrong in doing that.

That's in general though. Like five years ago, I bought MGS4 4-6 times and never played it. MGS2 did a number on me mentally.

Sifl

Not sure, but some people had to repeat side ops, while I didn't even do them all, so it's highly likely that they help. You can just play and cancel them if you don't feel like listening.
Personally I did a bunch of side ops and nothing was unlocking. Then I listened to my remaining tapes, did 1 side ops and the next story missions unlocked. This was late game though.

And when the doctor handed you the photo it did the whoosh sound and revealed you were the medic.
So 2 things.

That picture is also in your chopper from the very start, and the picture is bent in such a way to obscure one character, I always found it weird and thought it was Ocelot, only later did I realise that Ocelot couldn't have even been on that picture

Mass One

Wait...do you actually have to listen to the tapes to unlock missions??

Okay, question. I'm at Mission 37 now, and this game is getting a bit tedious to me.
Are there only certain missions from this point that I need to complete to get to the "ending?" Is there even anything further in that I need to see?

I don't know how accurate is it but afterwards I checked and had all these conditions meet. Link

Yes.

You don't need to do the EXTREME and SUBSISTENCE versions of older missions, you can just do side ops and listen to tapes and the new missions will open up,they are marked yellow, you should definitely see mission 43 if nothing else

Okay, that's what I was curious about.
I'm really only interested in the new content and seeing the story through at this point. I played a few of the reiterations and didn't see any story-related reasons to go through them again

Thanks a bunch.

catspit

Anyone know when mission 21 becomes available.. Now I have missions 18 and 19 open.. Curious if I beat 19 will it unlock a few more. (ie 20,21,22). Wanted to get into this FOB stuff tonight.

Sanjuro

There's a pretty good reason for it, at least.

Not to mention, the Bowie original is too soft to drive home the darkness that the 80s synthpop take used.

The only non-spoiler type stuff I heard is you go around picking up musical cassette tapes. I think that is pretty great.

Even if it ISN'T that band, is it band attempting at Thursday night coverband greatness?

So there was supposed to be a 3rd chapter? Been out of the loop and busy at work so haven't been keeping up but just read about this tonight
http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/13/metal-gear-solid-v-lost-chapter/

There's a full mission cut, there's a video of it on youtube and in the collector's edition, there's also another secret ending that might be even achievable in game but the conditions are ridiculous( and cool at the same time) that was found. Chapter 3 was probably just going to be some epilogue.

There's a full mission cut, there's a video of it on youtube and in the collector's edition, there's also another secret ending that might be even achievable in game but the conditions are ridiculous( and cool at the same time) that was found. Chapter 3 was probably just going to be some epilogue.

Ah alright

wiibomb

Well FUCK...

I've been for about 40 minutes in a fight with buddy:
Quiet
, but there is NOTHING I can do... everytime i get a little close even,
she
sneaks out and leaves a bomb...

Anyone can help me with a tip to finsih this?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's in general though. Like five years ago, I bought MGS4 4-6 times and never played it. MGS2 did a number on me mentally.

Oh damn, I see. From what I've heard, this one is also has some twists. You might just end up buying this 10 times!

There's a secret, secret ending?! God dammit, I didn't know that. I thought it
was that one where you have to complete the important side-ops.

You make it sound as if it was some small thing! It's a shame it was cut since this is probably the last MGS game.

Well FUCK...

I've been for about 40 minutes in a fight with buddy:
Quiet
, but there is NOTHING I can do... everytime i get a little close even,
she
sneaks out and leaves a bomb...

Anyone can help me with a tip to finsih this?

You can use supply drops to knock her out, just drop them on her head, otherwise just invest in a sniper rifle or a good scope

There's a secret, secret ending?! God dammit, I didn't know that.

Yeah, it's not that big of a deal though, but it has some cool monologues. You can watch it on youtube after you finish the game, someone stitched it all up.

Anth0ny

The Midge Ure cover of The Man Who Sold the World is so delightfully 80s. Fits so well with the game.

when they remake metal gear 1 they can include the Nirvana cover in the game

who here has done the eavesdropping task in mission 14? I think its bugged or something. Sometimes the conversations just dont happen, or characters get stuck, they dont go to the correct locations.

wait. there's a 3rd ending that you can get in-game? is this confirmed?

Elfstruck

immediately after finishing Mission 29 I went back into it to see if I could extract them and I could...it gave me credit for completing the optional objective of 'Extracting the Skulls'...I didn't develop the
wormhole
yet...what was weird was that the Skulls bodies would disappear after the last one was killed...so I killed 3 of them and extracted them before killing the 4th one...when you develop the
wormhole
do the bodies remain there?

I used the
wormhole
and it just sucked them in, mission
Code Talker
I believe. You can get special
ability
via this way. :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
haha. Better get the money flowing!

It's not a knock on the game. I'm just at that weird age that evaluates these things differently.

Awful!

Nah, don't worry. It happens. Just do what you feel comfortable with. If it helps, MGS fans say that this feels radically different from other MGS games.

There are some MGS-y things there though.

When do I start to get female soldiers? I swear I only have 1 so far.

I've only gotten them with Prisoner rescues and volunteers and the extras you get from playing GZ.

Tiktaalik

Just finished mission 19 and 35 hours in. In any other MGS game I'd feel like I was deep into it if not on the back half, but with this game I feel like I've barely gotten started. Maybe it's due to the existence of side ops that pad things out or due to the near complete lack of story.

Sifl

Cause D Horse sucks, transportation shouldn't waste a buddy slot. If D-Dog was Sif sized and you could ride him he would be the perfect buddy.

Okay, good to hear. Mine is still like, 4 icons away from full and I'd rather not have to play random missions to fill it. D-Dog and Quiet are at full.

And with the Butterfly icon, the requirement is that you can't use it, correct?

Butterfly icon is only important for the Quiet story arch, you can get the ending whether you use it or not.

Butterfly locks you out from doing mission 45, the last mission is 46 which you can unlock without doing 45, it also locks you out from one side op, so maybe it slows down your progress towards the final mission but not significantly

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Female soldiers are rather rare, so I prefer to put a direct contract with them to not lose them because of FOB invasions.

Top Bottom