• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sup with chp 16?

I have no problems stopping the trucks but when the SKULL dudes come out, i get rekt. I extracted the three vehicles and made a beeline to the helicopter while getting shot in the ass

When you know you're about to hit the truck, get D-Walker, and alert the truck. The skulls come out, you blow them away with the gatling gun, fulton the truck, and make away like a bandit.

I noticed a door with red light which is basically a locked door on mother base...seen a few all over. I assume these will be unlocked through progression of the game?

Sup with chp 16?

I have no problems stopping the trucks but when the SKULL dudes come out, i get rekt. I extracted the three vehicles and made a beeline to the helicopter while getting shot in the ass

use rocket launcher and bring in supply drop as soon as you have it equipped. And move as far as possible away from truck so you wont destroy it

Jintor

I noticed a door with red light which is basically a locked door on mother base...seen a few all over. I assume these will be unlocked through progression of the game?

there's one door on the med platform and one door on the R&D platform that unlock through story, but everything else are just exit doors for FOB missions

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So apparently I cannot redo side ops missions ? :(
I think one of the side ops want me to extract a particular individual. I tried to Fulton him but he didn't make it ! Now I cannot go back and redo the mission ? :(

ezekial45

Banned
I think one of the side ops want me to extract a particular individual. I tried to Fulton him but he didn't make it ! Now I cannot go back and redo the mission ? :(

Extract back to the ACC and reenter the area the mission is in. It just needs to reset.

Banzai

question about DD

I heard you can get DD to fulton enemies, how do you unlock that

You'll have to get a key item called
First Aid Manual
. Don't know the exact mission it's in (18 I think?), keep an eye out for it on the mission selection screen.

Go to the ACC and come back in.

Beepos

I'm really torn between getting GTA V or this on PC as I really only have the time and funds for one open world game.
I thought for sure after Witcher 3, I'd finally get to experience GTA V, after so long of waiting for the PC release.

Phantom Pain wasn't even on my radar. Not too much of a MGS fan (Only played the first two games) and I forgot it had become open world.
GTA in comparison is a series I'm well acquainted with and 5 is meant to be amazing.
Still, I'm drawn to this. It seems like there are way more sandbox elements and a lot of depth. I know they are two masterpiece games but I just am so limited at the moment.
Help!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm really torn between getting GTA V or this on PC as I really only have the time and funds for one open world game.
I thought for sure after Witcher 3, I'd finally get to experience GTA V, after so long of waiting for the PC release.

Phantom Pain wasn't even on my radar. Not too much of a MGS fan (Only played the first two games) and I forgot it had become open world.
GTA in comparison is a series I'm well acquainted with and 5 is meant to be amazing.
Still, I'm drawn to this. It seems like there are way more sandbox elements and a lot of depth. I know they are two masterpiece games but I just am so limited at the moment.
Help!

Watch some streams of both games to decide.

xxracerxx

Hmmm... I just tried that and it is still greyed out. Says it is completed. I guess that means I did extract him safely ? Maybe it was another solder besides him that failed the Fulton extraction then ?

There are Side Ops that reappear that you can replay from time to time. What matters is the checkmark.

tensuke

loving some of the references and nods

Episode 23
-White Mamba having Lord of the Flies references peppered on him. A conch on his hip and a drawing of a pig (Piggy) on his back
There's a pig head on a spike in front of the boat, too.

NetMapel

There are Side Ops that reappear that you can replay from time to time. What matters is the checkmark.

It does have a check mark ! Does that mean I extracted the guy properly ? Also, you mentioned that there are Side Ops that reappear for me to replay ? Do you mean they will re-appear as a new numbered Side Ops ? Or do you mean the existing one will all of a sudden be selectable again to play ?

For example, say Side Op #1... You complete the Side Ops and get a check mark. Will you be able to redo that Side Ops later ? Side Ops #1 will become selectable again ?

Future

Help!

GTA 5 is the best GTA yet. If you liked GTA before you are gonna love it

If you weren't into metal gear before, then some of the control complexity and cut scene style may turn you off a bit. I'd go for the sure thing in GTA.

Question for everyone else though. So I want to customize weapons. So I
did the side op where I need to extract the legendary gunsmith. I thought that was supposed to enable weapon customization but saw nothing different after the side op completed. Looking through my staff I'm not even sure I see the guy (have like 700 staff members so its possible I missed him? Anything else I'm supposed to do?

Elfstruck

GTA 5 is the best GTA yet. If you liked GTA before you are gonna love it

If you weren't into metal gear before, then some of the control complexity and cut scene style may turn you off a bit. I'd go for the sure thing in GTA.

Question for everyone else though. So I want to customize weapons. So I
did the side op where I need to extract the legendary gunsmith. I thought that was supposed to enable weapon customization but saw nothing different after the side op completed. Looking through my staff I'm not even sure I see the guy (have like 700 staff members so its possible I missed him? Anything else I'm supposed to do?

There are
total side ops for that. If you already done all of them, then customize it on the ACC.

xxracerxx

It does have a check mark ! Does that mean I extracted the guy properly ? Also, you mentioned that there are Side Ops that reappear for me to replay ? Do you mean they will re-appear as a new numbered Side Ops ? Or do you mean the existing one will all of a sudden be selectable again to play ?

For example, say Side Op #1... You complete the Side Ops and get a check mark. Will you be able to redo that Side Ops later ? Side Ops #1 will become selectable again ?

#XX Side Op will just sometimes be available again every once in a while. No new number, old shit.

NetMapel

Which side mission is it, out of interest?

Side Ops #11. I tried to Fulton the highly skilled individual that they want. He sticks with two other guys in the mission so I took them all down and Fulton'ed them. Now, I was so very very sure that it's him that didn't make the Fulton trip since it's only 90% success rate... but I guess I could be wrong... that Side Ops is grey'ed out now with a check mark beside it.

To be honest, I get REALLY confused about the Side Ops in general. It seems like, I can select a selectable Side Ops in the ACC, start the mission, and then complete as many available Side Ops as I can in one go ? I remember even that I could complete a main mission (#4 main mission) and left the "hot zone", then Miller tells me that XYZ has something important, so I should go check it out. Little did I know, it is just new Side Ops that became available to me. I thought that was a continuation of my current main mission... quite frankly, the whole mission system in this game is more confusing than I thought. I wish they kept it simple. You select a mission or Side Ops and complete it. Then return to ACC to select another mission... keeping all the missions separate would have been what I expected.

xxracerxx

Side Ops #11. I tried to Fulton the highly skilled individual that they want. He sticks with two other guys in the mission so I took them all down and Fulton'ed them. Now, I was so very very sure that it's him that didn't make the Fulton trip since it's only 90% success rate... but I guess I could be wrong.

To be honest, I get REALLY confused about the Side Ops in general. It seems like, I can select a selectable Side Ops in the ACC, start the mission, and then complete as many available Side Ops as I can in one go ? I remember even that I could complete a main mission (#4 main mission) and left the "hot zone", then Miller tells me that XYZ has something important, so I should go check it out. Little did I know, it is just new Side Ops that became available to me. I thought that was a continuation of my current main mission... quite frankly, the whole mission system in this game is more confusing than I thought.
Side Ops are just that, they are just there if you want to do them. When the Side Op is Yellow that means it is important. You do not have to do all of them in one go, hell you don't need to return to Mother Base after every main mission.

Jintor

You heard it here folks, fuck putting spoiler tags around mission numbers, and while you're at it include a gif so people have a general idea what happens in that mission.

you'll thank me if you have a general idea of what you have going into that mission since
you can't quit from it back to the ACC or the open world

or you can feel the fun of discovering that yourself after spending two fucking hours on that mission because you jumped in unprepared for it to fuck you over in ways you haven't been fucked over before

The game gives you a chance to redo some side ops even if you have successfully done them. I don't believe they count towards any sort of completion by doing them again.

To be honest, I get REALLY confused about the Side Ops in general. It seems like, I can select a selectable Side Ops in the ACC, start the mission, and then complete as many available Side Ops as I can in one go ? I remember even that I could complete a main mission (#4 main mission) and left the "hot zone", then Miller tells me that XYZ has something important, so I should go check it out. Little did I know, it is just new Side Ops that became available to me. I thought that was a continuation of my current main mission... quite frankly, the whole mission system in this game is more confusing than I thought.
When you end a main mission by leaving the hot zone, after you get your debriefing from Kaz and your scoring and rewards, the game will put you into "free roam" mode where you can do whatever you want on the map, including side ops that exist on the free roam map.

If you finish a mission by going into the helicopter, then you'll end up back in the ACC.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I love how if you're fultoning something but realize you don't want to send it yet, you can just shoot the balloon. It's great how there's a beautiful logic in all these systems. Same with fultoning yourself on a shipping container.

Jintor

I love how if you're fultoning something but realize you don't want to send it yet, you can just shoot the balloon. It's great how there's a beautiful logic in all these systems. Same with fultoning yourself on a shipping container.

i actually leave shipping containers around so I can bug out of missions easily, lol.

/edit glitch spoilers

xBtN2Rv.png

the pure combat of this game is so good... sometimes the smallest encounters are intense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-5-xTzshs

in this one, I had wanted to KO and fulton evac all 3 of these enemies (pretty sure 1-2 of them had high ranks), but as they approach and I pull the trigger, I realize I'm out of tranqs :O lol

ended up hiding behind a rock, kinda intense and a little worried because I took a lot of damage and I was scared it had been a while since a checkpoint save, and I end up kinda dueling back and forth from behind the rock and they slowly start to surround me from each side..... and I knew eventually a position-flushing grenade was going to come

end duel from behind the rock with the shield guard was fun, too... I think shield guards are my favorite guard to fight... either them or heavily armored machine gunners

those guys tear shit up sometimes, especially when you wanna try take 'em out clean with a gun (more satisfying not to use explosives)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVfwGttEGk

their top is so heavily armored, I ended up going for the legs! at the end of vid, you can see that the armored knee pad even popped off haha, finally exposing a bigger fleshy target :D

at about 62 hours playtime now, mostly in Afghanistan... done Missions 14-17 and two SIDE OPs in
Africa so
far... just enjoy the free roaming combat encounters too much. just over 1000 neutralizations... about 25% headshots and 25% non-lethal... scout, mark tranq fulton recruitment targets, snipe the rest :D

So I am currently at Mission 47. I dobt have any yellow missions listed. I recently beat the
pandemic and kill my soldiers
mission and recetly got a tape of
Huey being suspected of causing the pandemic
.How much longer do I have to go until I've seen all of the story?

Jintor

I wish this game had vehicle clinging, Just Cause style (with some stealth stuff like clinging to the underside of a jeep or something). Can you drag dudes out of vehicles besides the walker gear?

God I'm imagining Snake racing alongside a convoy and leaping aboard and punching out all the guards.

Hatchtag

Banned
Fuck the scene with Quiet when she (post-mission 11 spoilers)
shoots between helicopter blades. Was fucking certain she was about to become a buddy. Fuck you Kaz.

54-46!

Why does some of the missions have a [REPLAY] tag after chapter 2?

I kinda wish there were OSP, Extreme and Total Stealth variants for all missions. It's kinda weird that they decided to make those numbered missions instead of just giving the original ones modifiers you could choose (in the deployment screen) after you've completed them on normal difficulty.

Top Bottom