• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Fuck the scene with Quiet when she (post-mission 11 spoilers)
shoots between helicopter blades. Was fucking certain she was about to become a buddy. Fuck you Kaz.

Yeah thought so too at first. Damn. Just
do missions and visit her and do her side-op
and she'll
join you after that.

Ratrat

I hope they do dlc or a subsistence type release. The game is great but there are so many things they could tweak and add that would make it amazing. Wholly new content would be great as well.

aember

Why does some of the missions have a [REPLAY] tag after chapter 2?

It's the missions that had some actual impact on the story/gameplay after finishing them, ex. ep11. Replay means you can replay them, but they won't actually affect the aforementioned stuff.

Montresor

I really need to get this off my chest... I played Ground Zeroes lately and the central themes behind the game have made me slightly depressed. I really hate the idea of black sites like the American prison facility in Ground Zeroes existing in real life.

On another related note: one thing I find fascinating about the game is it's a big AAA game and the main protagonist is not an American + the enemy can sort of be considered American. As an aside: I don't know where Big Boss was born to be truthful - Ground Zeroes is the only MGS gave I've played so he could've been born in the USA but Big Boss and Kaz and his team of loyal soldiers aren't beholden to any one country. They're an army without any particular country, and they have their own ideals and motivations that don't necessarily line up with any one super power. The whole Ground Zeroes game is all about Big Boss and Kaz's private army trying to pull their operative Chico and a double agent Paz out of an American black site.

I may be rambling but the point that I find so fascinating is that the black site is American, period. America is the villain in Ground Zeroes - they are operating a top secret black site used to torture, interrogate, and execute POWs... I just find it really fascinating the idea of America as a villain, because you never see that in any video games. Of course, I am undoubtedly missing some nuances - most likely this organization called Cipher is the true villain and architect behind the black site - I haven't played enough of MGS overall to know for sure.

But all I need to comfortably/confidently consider that USA should be considered responsible for the black site (within the confines of this fictional story, of course) is that Kaz said something along the lines of "Washington has given tacit approval over this black site, as a way to rendition and interrogate POWs without prying eyes".

Chariot

I really need to get this off my chest... I played Ground Zeroes lately and the central themes behind the game have made me slightly depressed. I really hate the idea of black sites like the American prison facility in Ground Zeroes existing in real life.

On another related note: one thing I find fascinating about the game is it's a big AAA game and the main protagonist is not an American + the enemy can sort of be considered American. As an aside: I don't know where Big Boss was born to be truthful - Ground Zeroes is the only MGS gave I've played so he could've been born in the USA but Big Boss and Kaz and his team of loyal soldiers aren't beholden to any one country. They're an army without any particular country, and they have their own ideals and motivations that don't necessarily line up with any one super power. The whole Ground Zeroes game is all about Big Boss and Kaz's private army trying to pull their operative Chico and a double agent Paz out of an American black site.

I may be rambling but the point that I find so fascinating is that the black site is American, period. America is the villain in Ground Zeroes - they are operating a top secret black site used to torture, interrogate, and execute POWs... I just find it really fascinating the idea of America as a villain, because you never see that in any video games. Of course, I am undoubtedly missing some nuances - most likely this organization called Cipher is the true villain and architect behind the black site - I haven't played enough of MGS overall to know for sure.

But all I need to comfortably/confidently consider that USA should be considered responsible for the black site (within the confines of this fictional story, of course) is that Kaz said something along the lines of "Washington has given tacit approval over this black site, as a way to rendition and interrogate POWs without prying eyes".
You should play MGS3

Been playing this. I have about 64 hours clocked in. I just got Huey back.

D-Dog is the best buddy, IMO. Quiet isn't available to me, but I do have D-Walker. Won't use until I buy the development stuff for it.

So far, this is my favorite Metal Gear. I didn't play Peace Walker, but I watched that 3-hour video on YouTube. It was useful in catching up on the story.

I really enjoy the structure and thought that went into everything. This game has that Kojima touch everywhere. You can tell this is his dream game. The entire team really went all out. The attention to detail is really something else. This is something that you really only get from high-profile Japanese developers.

Banzai

I asked this before but didn't get an answer:
What is the point of the soldier Silent Basilisk?
As far as I can tell he's the only soldier who doesn't speak any languages but his stats are abysmal and the game won't let me fire him. I have no idea where I even got him.

Chariot

I asked this before but didn't get an answer:
What is the point of the soldier Silent Basilisk?
As far as I can tell he's the only soldier who doesn't speak any languages but his stats are abysmal and the game won't let me fire him. I have no idea where I even got him.
Let him be. What did he do to you? Stop the workplace discrimination against disabled people.

Any reason to play mission with someone other than Snake?
You can play as a woman. Some also have special abilities that surpass Snake's like better Fulton chance, faster running, faster climbing, etc.

ramyeon

Fuck I love this game. 50 hours in, just a few missions/side ops into Chapter 2.

I loved the whole conclusion of Chapter 1, personally. Yeah it was cheesy at points but it was very Metal Gear. There seem to be way more cutscenes in Chapter 2 - something new every time I return to Mother Base after a mission.

So much good shit being unlocked too. Wormhole Fulton, Jehuty Arm, Quiet's XOF uniform, Bandana... this is where it's going to get really fun :D

Chariot

Fuck I love this game. 50 hours in, just a few missions/side ops into Chapter 2.

I loved the whole conclusion of Chapter 1, personally. Yeah it was cheesy at points but it was very Metal Gear. There seem to be way more cutscenes in Chapter 2 - something new every time I return to Mother Base after a mission.

So much good shit being unlocked too. Wormhole Fulton, Jehuty Arm, Quiet's XOF uniform, Bandana... this is where it's going to get really fun :D
Uh. You're so enthusiastic, I don't even know how to tell you. :(

Banzai

Let him be. What did he do to you? Stop the workplace discrimination against disabled people.

He could not talk all day for all I care if his stats were better. This isn't about mutes but about firing a guy who's incompetent at his job. What's with all these overly politically correct private forces these days?

danowat

Banned
Just delved back in after a week break, and there is a new patch......

this morning I did a side op, and then menu > return to ACC, which I always used to do, but this time it didn't save that I had completed the side op.

Has this been changed in the recent patch?

Thanks! Trophy counts even for side ops?

Yup.

I always played with two favourite S++ soldiers that had the Gunman ability for extended Reflex Mode for easy sideops :p

(then i accidentally defended my FOB with one of my best, got killed and lost her forever, fucking permadeath FOB missions)

d9b

Banned
He could not talk all day for all I care if his stats were better. This isn't about mutes but about firing a guy who's incompetent at his job. What's with all these overly politically correct private forces these days?
Don't be a dick. You fail at humor too.

Vuze

Yup.

I always played with two favourite S++ soldiers that had the Gunman ability for extended Reflex Mode for easy sideops :p

(then i accidentally defended my FOB with one of my best, got killed and lost her forever, fucking permadeath FOB missions)
You can actually play as your MB soldiers?! How?
This game is really sparse about explaining some of its features... or maybe this will get unlocked later on (currently on episode 13).

anyone encounter any random mission or side op enemies that have unique code names (not just names) if recruited?

e.g. so, not a mission objective like Malak but.... like, Mission 3, the
commander can be recruited instead of killed
, and he has a unique portrait I think because the mission intel/etc uses his face. same for Mission 7 or the
bionics engineer with the mustache
in Mission 5...

but are their names random? e.g. is anyone else's Mission 5 guy named Spying Harrier? or Mission 3 guy named Silent Mastodon?

this thread on gamefaqs actually sort of confirms it lol (literally just found it after typing that previous sentece)

e.g. the guy from the first Wandering Mother Bass Soldier SIDE OP is always named Komodo Dragon and has Climber... and Jackal always has Athlete

so maybe everyone's mission 3 and 5 guys are also all named Silent Mastodon (Gunman) and Spying Harrier?

kind of cool, actually, there are are sort of special minor characters in the story and not everything is random.

This game is really sparse about explaining some of its features... or maybe this will get unlocked later on (currently on episode 13).

After you build the first Combat Ops platform i think, then just go to Character on the mission deployment screen to select any of your soldiers or Snake.

Soldiers have some unique clothing too like balaclavas and helmets that Snake can't use.

-Deimos

It is. People who went on media blackouts are getting shafted since a lot of these systems were explained in gameplay demos but not in-game.

It is. People who went on media blackouts are getting shafted since a lot of these systems were explained in gameplay demos but not in-game.
^it helps to press Help a lot on almost every new window or menu

a lot of things have multiple pages that explain things that may not otherwise be obvious, like page 2 of the map help describing the Preparedness system

Chariot

It honestly doesn't matter because most if not all my enjoyment is coming from the gameplay anyway - I'm just having a lot of fun playing this game. All the systems just click with me.
Same here. Lot of fun. Try FOBs. Some people hate the idea, but it'really fun and rewarding.

Fine, then. So there's really no way to get him off my team?
Not that I know of, no. He seems to be a constant for some reason.

Is it me or is Quiet bad as a buddy? Does she get better?
The only bad buddy is the one that shits all over the place.

54-46!

I find that Quiet tends to shoot too soon, I manage tranq an enemy in reflex but then she shoots him afterwards, causing an alert. This in scout mode.

It seems like she needs the silenced tranq rifle to be effective.

DeSolos

It honestly doesn't matter because most if not all my enjoyment is coming from the gameplay anyway - I'm just having a lot of fun playing this game. All the systems just click with me.

That's the spirit. Though when you do "finish" and want a bit more closure seek YouTube.

anyone remember which mission or side op Jackal is from? he's the A+ guy with Athlete (runs extra fast)

also... where did the lone Chinese recruit come from... Zhang Tian... Ground Zeroes, I'm guessing?

So are there interior areas to mother base? It feels like its just these irritating to navigate exteriors.

Also should I be hunting down staff to increase morale? Seems like an ENORMOUS amount of effort to go to.

Chariot

So are there interior areas to mother base? It feels like its just these irritating to navigate exteriors.

Also should I be hunting down staff to increase morale? Seems like an ENORMOUS amount of effort to go to.
No, the staff got a acale of like 100 morale and you get 1 point for the soldier that salutes you. Don't bother. Usually staff point will be stagnant anyways unless your going into negative GMP or keep hurting them.

Also yes: medical bay as soon as you see a door with blue lights and R&D, you know when.

danowat

Banned
Just delved back in after a week break, and there is a new patch......

this morning I did a side op, and then menu > return to ACC, which I always used to do, but this time it didn't save that I had completed the side op.

Has this been changed in the recent patch?

Blimey, this thread moves fast!!!, any chance of a response to the above?

Hatchtag

Banned
How do I keep my staff from fighting each other? Or is it normal as the staff grows in size?

Also dying in mother base is fucking dumb. It's irritating to die from a high fall or accidentally driving off the bridge and losing a bunch of diamonds and those target-shooting side ops. Should've been an area where dying didn't count.

Chariot

How do I keep my staff from fighting each other? Or is it normal as the staff grows in size?

Also dying in mother base is fucking dumb. It's irritating to die from a high fall or accidentally driving off the bridge and losing a bunch of diamonds and those target-shooting side ops. Should've been an area where dying didn't count.
Fire troublemakers.

I'd like to point out that the latest Steam patch made it so that the game no longer stays on top of every other window while in borderless window mode. It was annoying as shit before.

Is there a definite method to unlocking mission 46? Because I swear I've just checked ten different sites / youtube videos and THEY ALL SAY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I can only take this to mean no one knows the exact conditions.

You really should use Quiet ...

Quiet is pretty useless compared to Dog if you prefer to do non-lethal, ghost runs since Dog can immediately sense everyone in the area, but quiet just points out people in her field of vision.

Should I really? I don't want to fire anyone. I wouldn't want to be fired.
if someone comes along who can do a better job than you for the same amount of pay, i'd fire you. same as with Mother Base.

Top Bottom