• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Quiet is pretty useless compared to Dog if you prefer to do non-lethal, ghost runs since Dog can immediately sense everyone in the area, but quiet just points out people in her field of vision.

if someone comes along who can do a better job than you for the same amount of pay, I'd fire you. same as with Mother Base.

Quiet is massively overpowered, even without a silenced weapon. When she sets of an alert you can basically walk up to any enemy without being spotted because they are all forced on find her.
It also doesn't count as an alert on your score once you've finished the mission.

Once she has the "cover me" ability skill as well things become ridiculously easy. Yesterday I ranked 4 S ranks and 3 A ranks on my first try with her.

SomTervo

I am a gun noob, why isn't Snake's gun always fully reloaded ?

As the other person said, the idea is that one bullet from Snake's magazine has gone in the chamber (so the magazine itself is actually one bullet down).

From then on, the number is always at max because there's always a bullet in the chamber when he loads the magazine clip in.

It's a bit silly. I wish more games would use the Operation Flashpoint system of having 2-5 actual magazines you had to swap between, each at various stages of emptiness.

WITHE1982

Quiet is massively overpowered, even without a silenced weapon. When she sets of an alert you can basically walk up to any enemy without being spotted because they are all forced on find her.
It also doesn't count as an alert on your score once you've finished the mission.

Once she has the "cover me" ability skill as well things become ridiculously easy. Yesterday I ranked 4 S ranks and 3 A ranks on my first try with her.

I agree with Quiet being massively OP. I'll often just send her forward with the "Attack Base" command and slowly make my way over there. She has the silenced tranq rifle so by the time I catch up there's normally just 1 or 2 stragglers at most who are not sleeping. I then just mop up the rest and explore the base at my leisure.

Guys can I finish the game with doing little to no Side ops. I want to se what happens next all the time. I did like 15-20 Side ops but nkw I want to concetrate on main mission. Am I making it harder for me that way?

SomTervo

Well into Chapter 2, the Cassette Tapes have just taken off. They are all amazing and there are so many of them that are so long.

I'm genuinely happy just doing side ops while I session Cassette Tapes. All excellent content/quality, too. Some brilliant story in there.

Good times.

Also pretty big Quiet/mid-range story spoiler:
The scene where Codetalker speaks to Quiet and she speaks back... Utterly brilliant. That cutscene was great re Quiet's backstory, too. Also Parasites are so much better than Nanomachines, even if it's a bit Resident Evil.

Guys can I finish the game with doing little to no Side ops. I want to se what happens next all the time. I did like 15-20 Side ops but nkw I want to concetrate on main mission. Am I making it harder for me that way?

I think in the second half of the game you need to focus on Side Ops more. I think quite a lot of game/story progression is tied to how many you have completed. They aren't necessary but they have a pretty big impact in the second half, I think.

Ratrat

I thought you only have to do the side ops that are marked yellow? It's ridiculous they didn't make those ones main missions instead of the EXTREME missions.

I asked this before but didn't get an answer:
What is the point of the soldier Silent Basilisk?
As far as I can tell he's the only soldier who doesn't speak any languages but his stats are abysmal and the game won't let me fire him. I have no idea where I even got him.

Oh I'm not the only one stuck with him then?

I assume he maybe tied to a side-op which is stopping him being fired, but I done them all already and don't want to repeat any.

SomTervo

Can I hop into a main mission, grab a blueprint or prisoner and then just return to the ACC? I'd rather not have to go through an entire mission again when the bonus stuff I want is right at the start.

I think so yeah, just make sure you prompt a save by changing settings in the Options menu, sorting your staff, or starting a Combat Deployment.

Also what is the knock for recruited soldiers like? I haven't played as one yet. Are there any actual benefits from doing so?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Oh man, episode 20 just wrapped. Fuck! Much intensity, such Kojima.

This game fucking rules. Took me a while warming up to the new structure, but I'm loving it!

Oh man, episode 20 just wrapped. Fuck! Much intensity, such Kojima.

This game fucking rules. Took me a while warming up to the new structure, but I'm loving it!

Just did episode 20 last night! I loved it!

The boss fight was a bit meh but everything except fighting the man on fire was brilliant

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just did episode 20 last night! I loved it!

The boss fight was a bit meh but everything except fighting the man on fire was brilliant

Doing the mission at night was the best. The atmosphere was thick as hell, and then the reveal. Great use of camera during cutscenes!

I'm still completely lost as to the plot though. Hoping it comes together soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do side ops actually increase the buddy's bond? I sure would assume so, but I can't remember it ever happening for me.
Yes not just side Ops though, random free roaming and using their abilities ups the bond level. I got Quiet to 100 by rampaging and "recruiting" people for MB in free roam. I imagine the same can be done with the others.

I think so yeah, just make sure you prompt a save by changing settings in the Options menu, sorting your staff, or starting a Combat Deployment.

Also what is the knock for recruited soldiers like? I haven't played as one yet. Are there any actual benefits from doing so?

Yep, it definitely works. Time to gather all the soldiers with unique skills that I missed earlier.

As for the "knock" with someone who does not have a robot arm... They open and close their palm a couple of times and their knuckles crack in quite a sickening way.

I asked this before but didn't get an answer:
What is the point of the soldier Silent Basilisk?
As far as I can tell he's the only soldier who doesn't speak any languages but his stats are abysmal and the game won't let me fire him. I have no idea where I even got him.
Yeah I want to know this as well, his stats suck so I just want to fire him

usp84

So the game really wants me to build a FOB...Should i do it?I read that you can be invaded even when offline and that players can steal people and stuff from regular bases?

Is any of these true?

Joqu

Anyone know if the european collector's edtion blu-ray is english only or multi language and not locked to the language the game came from?

I've seen there's still a few available online but I don't want to pick up an imported copy only to have it all be in french only or something like that,

Setsuna

My souped up helicopter with max engines, flares and armor just lost to some bullshit AI helicopter. which ended up costing me 240k and thats not even including the summoning cost

Jintor

My souped up helicopter with max engines, flares and armor just lost to some bullshit AI helicopter. which ended up costing me 240k and thats not even including the summoning cost

pequod doesn't even fucking engage enemy choppers

fuck you pequod. i wish morpho was still around you useless bastard.

artsi

What's also funny is that I have over 900 soldiers enlisted in my private army, but I can't spare two guys to man the miniguns of my insertion / extraction chopper.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Quiet is pretty useless compared to Dog if you prefer to do non-lethal, ghost runs since Dog can immediately sense everyone in the area, but quiet just points out people in her field of vision.

...If you don't use "Quiet(Scout)" mode as soon as you get off the helicopter and then "Quiet(Attack)" to set her at a good place then "COVER ME."...

Dog is pointless as a wallhax is not better than "Rambo: First Blood."

KORNdoggy

once i realised the chopper was costing so much to deploy i just turned him down to lvl 2 with no weapons. so he's a nice, cheap 6000. he's useless if you call him in as support, but i never do anyway. and if i REALLY need fast deployment or support i'll kit him out for that before that specific mission.

Lets say a mission has a trigger when a base is alerted (moving a prisoner etc.) will this trigger if you set quiet on it and have her fire away?

Also Chapter 2 question spoilers maybe I dunno

I keep seeing people mentioning something about a Quiet emblem you have to use or equip to see something? I'm on mission 40 (I think) just rescued all the kids, last quiet interaction was her speaking to Code Talker after the torture.

SJRB

Gold Member
once i realised the chopper was costing so much to deploy i just turned him down to lvl 2 with no weapons. so he's a nice, cheap 6000. he's useless if you call him in as support, but i never do anyway. and if i REALLY need fast deployment or support i'll kit him out for that before that specific mission.

This is a smart way to save some GMP, considering a fully armored and decked out helicopter is useless 95% of the time.

SomTervo

Yep, it definitely works. Time to gather all the soldiers with unique skills that I missed earlier.

As for the "knock" with someone who does not have a robot arm... They open and close their palm a couple of times and their knuckles crack in quite a sickening way.

... Yuck

Setsuna

How?! He's the garbage tier buddy. I haven't found a single use for him that the other buddies can't do more effectively.

when it comes to covering your back with the
intercept head
theres literally no one better he can take a beating and just keep on firing

ramyeon

How?! He's the garbage tier buddy. I haven't found a single use for him that the other buddies can't do more effectively.
It's great for going all out (And for Skull fights).

Only buddy I don't find myself using at this point is D Horse. Used it a lot when it was my only choice but now I have vehicles for transport and D Dog or Quiet or D Walker are just more useful.

Horse really should have been classed a "Vehicle" tbh.

KORNdoggy

It's great for going all out (And for Skull fights).

Only buddy I don't find myself using at this point is D Horse. Used it a lot when it was my only choice but now I have vehicles for transport and D Dog or Quiet or D Walker are just more useful.

Horse really should have been classed a "Vehicle" tbh.

horse is still the best option for some missions that involve prisoners that are transported mid mission, or convoys. his poop-vehicle skid ability makes for a really easy vehicle/enemy/prisoner capture.

Greddleok

Man when I used D-Walker I just got shot to shit. He's incredibly inaccurate too. Quiet is way better for taking out skulls, she practically one shots them (and in some cases does one shot them).

D-Horse is pretty good. He's amazing on missions when you need to keep up with or destroy vehicles since he's faster than most of them, poops on the road and acts as a road block.
Plus riding on his back, using a rocket launcher to take out stuff just feels badass.

Quiet is over powered. Like game breakingly over powered. She trivialises every mission.

D-Dog is the sweet spot. He's useful, but not too useful. He's strong, but only very situational, and he's super cute. The way he looks at you when you're sprinting is so...life like, I love it.

Top Bottom